• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Making descisions based on your gut vs head

bdomihizayka

Bluelighter
When making a decision, there are 2 things that influence you. Your head, and your gut. They are quite different, let me explain. Your head is full of bullshit.... full of other people's thoughts and ideas and all this different propaganda you pick up around you....so it's extremely biased, and it's not always your biased-ness..... Your gut is never clouded or biased... it's ususally right... I believe it's where one's intuition comes from. Always follow your gut, never your head.

So anyways, I have always wanted to live and die abroad. I am American and have traveled all over Europe, even living and studying in Moscow for some time. My heart is in Europe... I NEED to be there. I can't explain more than that. Now, I don't have many options to get over there.... I tried endlessly to get a job over there and failed. I don't want to marry for citizenship.... ehhh.... my only option seems to be the French Foreign Legion.

Everyone is telling me no obviously... it's a horrible idea, I will never make it... etc, which just adds fuel to my desire to get the fuck out of America and prove them wrong.... my gut tells me this is what I need to do.

I am in shape, ex bodybuilder... don't think it will be too hard, but who knows....

Am I making sense? Should I go for it? What would yous all do to achieve your dreams and aspirations, what lengths would you go to?

Sometimes you just need to do what you want and not worry what others think of the choice. If there's one thing I've learned time and again, one finds no meaningful validation in the thoughts of others. Will a given path work the way you intended, no one can say with certainty, but you know better than anyone as it's your vision.

Network network network

If you have a viable skill, try to volunteer for a job in Africa and maybe work with some Euros there to find a path to eventually move to Europe. There are many organizations other than Peace Corps that have volunteer jobs programs in Africa and other countries. At the very least, you will be doing some great work while you wait for things to work out the way you want.

Go with your gut. My gut told me I needed to get the fuck outta where I was and I've never been happier. And feel more free....it's pretty liberating

Someone said to volunteer work abroad and it's not all it cracked up to be. I looked At just about everything a few years Ago and most programs require u to pay for ticket over there and sometimes even pay for ur food, ur doing volunteer work in third world countries they don't have $ to fly wayward ppl out there and feed them...

In terms of getting over there, I've always wanted to get a job on a cargo ship or something going to Europe. U get a free room and food the whole way there so u spend no money, then once u hit land u got a nice fat check to start u off. Plus it seems like a pretty cool experience. If u decide to do it lemme kno I'll go with u!

Go with your gut man. Fuck em and what they think. Its your life, live it the way you want to.

Network network network

If you have a viable skill, try to volunteer for a job in Africa and maybe work with some Euros there to find a path to eventually move to Europe. There are many organizations other than Peace Corps that have volunteer jobs programs in Africa and other countries. At the very least, you will be doing some great work while you wait for things to work out the way you want.

surprisingly I thought about doing that pretty seriously after high school since I wouldn't last too long in the military and probably would have gotten turned away from the start because of a heart issue.

with the Peace Corps that is, you think they get drug tested?

So anyways, I have always wanted to live and die abroad. I am American and have traveled all over Europe, even living and studying in Moscow for some time. My heart is in Europe... I NEED to be there. I can't explain more than that. Now, I don't have many options to get over there.... I tried endlessly to get a job over there and failed. I don't want to marry for citizenship.... ehhh.... my only option seems to be the French Foreign Legion.

What are your qualifications? In the time it takes you to join the French Foreign Legion and be eligible for French citizenship, you could go to school and earn some qualifications which would lead to a proper job in Europe then you can worry about marrying into the fold. There are a lot of ways to get where you wanna get but you have to put in the work and get to know people and involve people in your pursuit to achieve what you want, because nobody is going to tell you about all the backroad ways to get to your destination if they don't even know where you want to get.

Everyone is telling me no obviously... it's a horrible idea, I will never make it... etc, which just adds fuel to my desire to get the fuck out of America and prove them wrong.... my gut tells me this is what I need to do.

I am in shape, ex bodybuilder... don't think it will be too hard, but who knows....

Am I making sense? Should I go for it? What would yous all do to achieve your dreams and aspirations, what lengths would you go to?

I'm in the same situation and working for the day when I can hop on a plane and have a life waiting for me when I land. For me, that point is still two years out by my reckoning and I've been working on it for the past three years, and went through some failures along the way. It feels like an eternity and everyone in my life has told me I'm an idiot to work for some goal they can't see sense in. My own mom tries to talk me out of it. I think people are just selfish at the core, maybe not intentionally doing it but still trying to psyche you out and secretly hoping you fail so they can subconsciously feel better about their own failures and regrets in life. I'll be honest, I've found myself thinking it too, when someone I care about is working so hard toward a goal and there's a little evil fuck in my head saying "man, I hope they fail". Doubt is the killer of dreams. Moving to Europe is not an unattainable dream by any stretch, so I think if you really want it there's not gonna be any problem you just have to do your research to figure out how you can get there then work through all the steps until it happens.

They are quite different

Are they? Neurally, the roughly corresponding circuits (the 'brain' rooted in frontal cortical processing, the 'gut' rooted in limbic activity) are set in constant communication, limbic signaling often initiating further cortical processing, and cortical signaling tempering limbic response. Phenomenologically, raw reasoning doesn't do anything on its own; one needs gut impetus to ground what one is reasoning toward in the first place.

Your gut is never clouded or biased...

Really? Your gut bears the vestiges of a lengthy litany of operant and classically conditioned responses, be they of fear or affinity, lacking rigorous scrutiny for valid justification.

ebola

Nearly all of my successful (as in not lucky, but well executed) decisions have come from my head. My instincts regarding making money, dating, drugs-- basically anything but judging character, are always wrong.

It is always best for me when they at least deign to consult each other.;)

What about letting your Heart lead you? That's always a Category V (five) disaster for me.

I try to run on intuition. I find that when I truly become aware of my gut reactions, when it comes to decisions, if I'm in a neutral, calm place, my gut is almost always right. But I do think about whatever I'm doing before I act as a double-check. When I'm coming from an angry or otherwise emotionally reactive place, I go with my head because my gut will tell me to do something I'll regret later.

im opposite there xorkoth. my head tells me to do things that are almost always bad ideas and to trust people who end up screwing me over, whole benefit of the doubt. my gut on the other hand is absolutely 100% right.

Right, that's my base state too, my gut is usually right, but I was just saying if I'm angry or something, then my pre-thought (gut) inclination is often wrong (ie, say something mean to someone, etc).

Oh indeed I agree here : I spent the first 4 decades of my life listening to my heart ...letting my emotions / empathy/ selfishness / cross btw the two.... rule the day.

My gut warned me against this just a few times.... should have gone with the gut.

My heads just a jumble of info n applied sciences. It doesn't know shit yet it "knows" the most.

Gut---- ftw