• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tinnitus from benzo withdrawal

Nina7215

Greenlighter
I would like to learn about any others' experiences with suffering from tinnitus as a side effect of Clonazepam withdrawal, or any benzo withdrawal. I would also appreciate any suggestions of where to get information on possible treatments or aides in helping reduce the noise. If you had it, did it eventually go away? Did you have to take more Clonazepam to make it go away? In July I unintentionally quit 1mg of Clonazepam I had been taking every night for 13 years. I forgot to put it in my pill towers for a week. I first thought the insomnia I got was from another med that I had problems with. I was given the Clonazepam for panic attacks caused by undiagnosed low thyroid and other hormones. I am much better but my doctors did not want me to quit it yet. The cold turkey withdrawal was very rough for awhile, vertigo, insomnia, general anxiety, depression, feeling detached from the world, but that's gone after taking a bit more. The tinnitus started awhile after the cold turkey withdrawal and came and went over several weeks, but has been constant for a week now. I am at .4375mg. I had felt pretty good when the volume was low. Right now it's a very high pitched metallic hissing noise day and night. It is driving me mad. I feel drained and can't concentrate. I've increased my Nortriptyline slowly to try to get some better sleep. I am looking for some hope that this will go away. I thought that perhaps since it's not from damage from loud noises it might get better. Since it's there every day now, I am getting very worried. Thanks very much for any help.

Good luck friend. I have no answers, but Im dealing with tinnitus myself from what I believe was an ecstasy "overdose" a few days ago (that or I hit my head in a booze blackout, was same night).

Im running a fan in my room on medium for background noise that has really been helping, even if its all in my head. Until you can get a handle on this situation, do you have a TV or fan or source of noise in the room you can utilize? The loud noises seem to help keep the tinnitus from showing. Mine sounds like a spaceship that is constantly powering down, sort of a humming drone.

Again Im sorry about what youre experiencing, and good luck.

Don't know, I have found a good deal of info on line about tinnitus occurring during clonazepam withdrawal with folks not on it very long at all, like just weeks or months. I found where a research group in Pennsylvania discovered the cause back in May of this year but they are concentrating on prevention and have a medicine they will try on humans. It worked on mice in preventing tinnitus. I expect they want that for the military. I am going to contact them to see if a cure is on the front burner or back burner.

Sorry you are suffering too, dank. I've used sound machines/air purifiers for years to drown out barking dogs and street noise, and they are absolutely needed now with the tinnitus. I watch TV at night and it's when I turn it off and try to sleep that the tinnitus is so loud. No way to get to sleep. If I'm working, talking to folks, or watching TV in the day time, I sometimes forget about it. Last night I had to get back on line to try to distract myself, then I took a teensy bit more of my Nortriptyline and managed to nod off around 6am. Woke today around 2pm. Can't get work done this way and my circadian rhythms are all off kilter. I hope the Pennsylvania group I alluded to in my other reply will find a cure very soon. Otherwise I will have to look to some masking devices I guess. I've heard that some folks use these and they produce a counter-sound, I guess perhaps it's like wearing ear phones or ear buds and perhaps I will need to try that. I'm still going to see if it lessens, or if I can get sleepier faster with more Nortriptyline. I'm also increasing my thyroid medication, so I've got quite a juggling game going on to see what affects what or what might help. Good luck to you too.

I've been suffering from tinnitus for >25 years. I discovered a lipoflavinoid formula a couple years ago, and it's been the only thing to have offered any relief. Specifically, I use this: http://www.lipoflavonoid.com/ It's not a cure, and it doesn't help everyone, but it might be worth a try.

EDIT: I really hope that link is within bounds of the rules. It technically reveals a "source" ... but please consider letting this one slide? No one's gettin' high off of an herbal tinnitus remedy ... LOL! Seriously, this problem is absolute misery if you suffer from it. Just trying to be of help, here. Thanks...