• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin So it's not cotton fever, but... it's cotton fever?

verso

Bluelighter
All right, guys, I am in desperate need of some help here.

So we've been IV-ing heroin for some time now, and we're no newbies to it. The dope we get is good, clean, east coast powder, that slightly off-white, fluffy, vinegar-y smelling, bomb ass sheeeeeit! ;)

Now, for the most part, we follow correct HR procedure. We do not share needles, of course, and we re-use needles only very seldomly. (Getting fresh rigs isn't a difficult thing to do around here.) The water we use is clean, oftentimes it's bottled spring water, and we filter sometimes. I have to be honest and say that we do not filter consistently. (I know, I know...) The dope here is just so unbelievably clear and clean-looking and it dissolves so, so easily. I know that it's no excuse, but, whatever...

Anyway, so, we have been getting sick and I mean sick -- high fever (104+), teeth chattering, the chills, nausea and vomiting, the whole bit... In other words, very much like the infamous "cotton fever."

The catch? No cotton. Remember when I said before that we do not filter all of the time? Yeah, well, we haven't been filtering lately. And when we've done this before, it has never been a problem. It's only recently that we have been getting sick. There's two of us, and it has been affecting both of us at the same time. We thought that it could be bacteria on or in our rigs, so we bought new rigs, but even with fresh, brand new rigs we got sick. So then we thought it might be the dope and we should try different dope, but still we got sick.

This has being going on for the past three or four days, and it sucks because I know right away when I'm going to get sick. I'll take the shot, and I'll immediately feel hot, sweaty, and feverish. That's how I was able to eliminate factors so quickly and determine that it wasn't the rigs or the dope, because the sick-feelings are so intense and immediate after taking the shot.

The only thing that we could think of is that it could be the water or water container. We tried different water and a different water container as well, and so far so good (fingers crossed), but I just don't know what to think because the water is spring water and I can't imagine what bacteria would have been on the container? Every dish here goes through the dish-washer...

Any ideas? Could it be possible to come down with "cotton fever" without having cotton be part of the equation? Thanks in advance guys :)

Absolutely could be "cotton fever" without any use of cotton. Of course actual cotton fever is from a particular bacteria that is specifically in cotton. There is also acute fever and illness (like you described) that can come from any bacteria which may grow in the damp environment of used cotton filters. Or there is the acute illness and fever (like you described) that can be from any type of contaminant that is introduced in your body when you IV...which it would be in this case.

You stated "that's how I was able to eliminate factors so quickly and determine it wasn't the rigs or the dope because the sick feelings are so intense and immediate after the shot". Can you explain what caused you to determine that..I'm not sure I understand. I wouldn't think (if I am understanding correctly) that would eliminate anything. From my understanding, most cases of cotton fever come on very immediate and very intense just as you have described. Why would that eliminate the rigs or the dope? And did I understand that when it has been happening you have not been using a micron filter?

If you use everything new and sterilized (and I would boil everything that is not brand new and sterile) and you clean the area of your injection correctly then I would think it is the dope. That or there is something that is contaminated that you aren't thinking of that each use has in common. It has to be something that is being introduced into your body at each injection. I would get a micron filter and use asap and again, just make sure everything is new and as sterile as possible and make sure the site (and hands) are as clean as possible. The only thing you cannot effectively be sure is clean really is the dope.

*edit* also, fyi..I am so paranoid about contaminants (its from being a nurse for so very long) that everytime I IV something I use normal sterile saline. You can buy a can of it at walmart or a drug store and it is usually called Wound Wash or some such name. It says on the label "not for injection" but it is the same stuff we use in the hospital for IV solutions/flushes. It is normal saline (.9 percent or 9mg per ml) and it is sterile so to me it seems the safest thing to use. That eliminates any issues with the water. The one I buy contains 177ml...so that's quite a few safe shots for about $5. It stays sterile also after you open it (unlike a bottle of water). It has a little pump on top that sprays it out.

Last edited:
Yeesh, do yourself a favor and at least buy a box of Q-tips to filter through. It's no micron but you can generally see some residue on it, whether your dope waters down well or not. That said, missme already covered it. It can be contamination from anything.

Absolutely could be "cotton fever" without any use of cotton. Of course actual cotton fever is from a particular bacteria that is specifically in cotton. There is also acute fever and illness (like you described) that can come from any bacteria which may grow in the damp environment of used cotton filters. Or there is the acute illness and fever (like you described) that can be from any type of contaminant that is introduced in your body when you IV...which it would be in this case.

You stated "that's how I was able to eliminate factors so quickly and determine it wasn't the rigs or the dope because the sick feelings are so intense and immediate after the shot". Can you explain what caused you to determine that..I'm not sure I understand. I wouldn't think (if I am understanding correctly) that would eliminate anything. From my understanding, most cases of cotton fever come on very immediate and very intense just as you have described. Why would that eliminate the rigs or the dope? And did I understand that when it has been happening you have not been using a micron filter?

If you use everything new and sterilized (and I would boil everything that is not brand new and sterile) and you clean the area of your injection correctly then I would think it is the dope. That or there is something that is contaminated that you aren't thinking of that each use has in common. It has to be something that is being introduced into your body at each injection. I would get a micron filter and use asap and again, just make sure everything is new and as sterile as possible and make sure the site (and hands) are as clean as possible. The only thing you cannot effectively be sure is clean really is the dope.

*edit* also, fyi..I am so paranoid about contaminants (its from being a nurse for so very long) that everytime I IV something I use normal sterile saline. You can buy a can of it at walmart or a drug store and it is usually called Wound Wash or some such name. It says on the label "not for injection" but it is the same stuff we use in the hospital for IV solutions/flushes. It is normal saline (.9 percent or 9mg per ml) and it is sterile so to me it seems the safest thing to use. That eliminates any issues with the water. The one I buy contains 177ml...so that's quite a few safe shots for about $5. It stays sterile also after you open it (unlike a bottle of water). It has a little pump on top that sprays it out.

Saline from Wal*Mart, huh? That's a good tip, thank you!

What I mean is that I would take my shot, those sick feelings would come on, I would suffer for a few hours, and then, when I was feeling better, I tried using a fresh rig, or different dope, or new water, and then I would immediately feel those sick feelings again; in other words, I don't think that these were residual feelings/symptoms from the sickness that I had before. I don't think that it could have been the rigs and even though I had switched rigs and felt sick after taking my shot it was merely coincidence that I felt sick again, and that those feelings were simply residual.

So, I was able to determine "it's not the rigs" and "it's not the dope" very quickly because there seemed to be no lingering sick feelings when I had taken my shot that I might have mistaken for a recurrence. Does that make sense? I feel like I'm not making sense. Maybe these multiple bouts of sickness fried my brain.

EDIT: In other, other words: It went a little something like this... I took my shot, felt like shit, felt better, took another shot (with a fresh, clean rig), felt like shit again, felt better, took another shot (with different dope), felt like shit, etc.

It wasn't as though I had taken a shot with a brand new rig when I was still feeling sick and said "fuck it, it's not the rigs..." when really it could have been the rigs and I simply hadn't waited long enough for the sickness to go away. I waited until I felt better to take another shot and change part of my procedure so as to eliminate factors...

I don't fuck with the needle but I can't judge a soul lol.

You really should be boiling your water for about 10th minutes to sterilize.

Bottled water isn't a whole lot better than tap water as far as bacteria etc..unless you're drinking it and the only reason I drink it is because I'd like to avoid some flouride and chlorine .

I even boil water before so much as making a nasal spray with drugs because there really is a wide variety of contaminants in all water.

Also the Heron could be masking symptoms of a true illness unrelated to use, ya dig?

Just so you know, incase u didn't already mon.

Good luck, being sick sucks, especially if your dope is making you sick...the irony the fucking irony..
Good luck and peace

No, I doubt it is something else when it is obviously connected to each time he takes a shot. Like I said, the steril saline (NSS-normal sterile saline..it is isotonic to your body in addition to being sterile...regular water is NOT isotonic) will avoid any problems with the water..safer even than boiling and it is very inexpensive especially considering the risks that eliminates.

Now I understand Verso what you were saying (I think). In other words, you used a fresh rig the next time and stilll became sick again therefore it was not your rig that was contaminated. But on the next shot was the dope from the same batch? I'm just thinking it sounds like you pretty much had all your bases covered so I'm just really leaning toward something being in the dope. That or like I said, maybe there is some piece of equipment you are using but not thinking about (cooker, spoon...I don't know..I'm sure you thought of all of those) that maybe the culprit.

And to the poster that said get qtips...he is aware of this and it will not filter out any bacterial contaminants so would not make a bit of difference in this case.

Also Verso, I can tell you that sometimes (and this may be reaching) some people can get and then end up being "carriers" of certain bacteria on their skin (strep is a prime example). This being on your skin and just living there won't make some people sick under normal circumstances whereas for some it would if they were exposed. In other words, if you were a carrier suddenly of some bacteria everything might be fine until for some reason (injection, IV) this bacteria was introduced into your blood stream and then it might make you ill. I don't know though. I'm still thinking maybe the dope or something that is slipping your mind to decontaminate. If you can think of any other info let me know, I am somewhat intrigued now.

Yeesh, do yourself a favor and at least buy a box of Q-tips to filter through. It's no micron but you can generally see some residue on it, whether your dope waters down well or not. That said, missme already covered it. It can be contamination from anything.
Acutally using q-tip cotton is not the best thing to use, the cotton has glue on it that makes it stay on the stick.

Just use regular cotton balls. They come in a big bag and are really cheap, a big bag could last you months. It is the best thing to filter with besides a micron filter.

If you feel it immediately after you take the shot it isn't any sort of bacteria or virus because they all have an incubation period that would take hours to fell. If you have ever seen anything about a "zombie" virus where you could get infected in only a few minutes like they do in the movies, it's impossible because you don't feel the affects of any infection until it has invaded enough of you cells to produce an immune response and that again takes hours.

What it sounds like to me is a reaction to the histamine release that most opiods produce. It's what makes you sick and vomit and it can cause symptoms similar to what you are describing. I know it isn't happening every time but in my experience that's the way it is. Sometimes I can be using the exact same stuff and one time I'm puking the next I'm not. Try taking an antihistamine before the nest time you use and see if it helps. I take them randomly for allergy problems and I have found that is the reason sometimes I feel it and sometimes I don't. Once I found out it was the antihistamines that made the difference, I take them all the time whenever I'm using. In some countries it is common practice to mix heroin and Benadryl to inject at the same time to negate this negative effect. That may not be OP's problem but I would give it a try.

I have had a similar experience that OP describes back when I used to IV Oxycontins. I would never experience it on an initial use but if I ever tried to reuse the crushed powder that was leftover I would. This sounds like it could be the cotton fever I have heard described but if it were caused by bacteria or a virus, you wouldn't feel it immediately unless it was an overwhelming amount.

^thats not so much true with cotton fever, it happens very quickly from what i hear.

also, that sounds nothing like a histamine reaction

anyways, so basically OP, have you eliminated all these things by separate trials? : cooker/spoon, rig, stirrer, dope, water

also, always use a cotton, you dont want to shoot some big grains, and maybe try disinfecting your skin. are you sure its not one of the above things?

If you feel it immediately after you take the shot it isn't any sort of bacteria or virus because they all have an incubation period that would take hours to fell. If you have ever seen anything about a "zombie" virus where you could get infected in only a few minutes like they do in the movies, it's impossible because you don't feel the affects of any infection until it has invaded enough of you cells to produce an immune response and that again takes hours.

What it sounds like to me is a reaction to the histamine release that most opiods produce. It's what makes you sick and vomit and it can cause symptoms similar to what you are describing. I know it isn't happening every time but in my experience that's the way it is. Sometimes I can be using the exact same stuff and one time I'm puking the next I'm not. Try taking an antihistamine before the nest time you use and see if it helps. I take them randomly for allergy problems and I have found that is the reason sometimes I feel it and sometimes I don't. Once I found out it was the antihistamines that made the difference, I take them all the time whenever I'm using. In some countries it is common practice to mix heroin and Benadryl to inject at the same time to negate this negative effect. That may not be OP's problem but I would give it a try.

I have had a similar experience that OP describes back when I used to IV Oxycontins. I would never experience it on an initial use but if I ever tried to reuse the crushed powder that was leftover I would. This sounds like it could be the cotton fever I have heard described but if it were caused by bacteria or a virus, you wouldn't feel it immediately unless it was an overwhelming amount.

With "cotton fever" there is no incubation time. It can be felt sometimes almost immediately when you are injecting microbes directly into your blood stream.

Try IVing the water without the dope and see if it still happens. Maybe the sickness is from particles of unfiltered cut getting into your system or something.

With "cotton fever" there is no incubation time. It can be felt sometimes almost immediately when you are injecting microbes directly into your blood stream.

Yup. And the chattering teeth is something I've gotten from it too, and it goes away in about 45 mins and the aches and hot feeling goes away in a little under 2 hours.

I always thought cotton fever was caused by the pieces of cotton or other foreign substances that are not soluble. I am no doctor and I am not saying its a fact but it makes sense that if it were bacteria or a virus, it would have to create an infection and overwhelm then immune system before you would feel any effects. If you reuse a rig infected with Hep C or HIV you don't feel anything immediate so why would it be any different with any other bacteria or virus? There are some that incubate faster then others, but nothing is immediate as far as I know. It could be a fungus but again, I would think there would have to be some kind of incubation period for any effects to be felt. I would also think that if you did feel something immediately then you are really going to be screwed when it does incubate. So if you felt it immediately its going to kill you later. IDK just trying to make sense of it.

As far as the histamine release, I think this can vary greatly like the effects of any drug on any person differs greatly so again it was an idea not a fact I based on my own experience. I have experienced similar symptoms the OP described that were relieved by taking an antihistamine before using. Could be a placebo affect for all I know. LOL

I think with all of the inconsistency there is with street stuff, it is more likely something to do with the product itself and not anything related to anything else, especially when he has tried to eliminate the other things by using a new sterile rig and practices that should eliminate them.

Try IVing the water without the dope and see if it still happens. Maybe the sickness is from particles of unfiltered cut getting into your system or something.

Yup. And the chattering teeth is something I've gotten from it too, and it goes away in about 45 mins and the aches and hot feeling goes away in a little under 2 hours.

Ugh, I got cotton fever from a bad batch of dope a couple weeks ago. I was fine on the first shot... but the next one I did about an hour later, I laid down to take a nap, I woke up 20 minutes later teeth-chattering, my whole body shaking, my head felt like it was 1000 pounds.. like I had a horrible head/cold fever. Lasted a couple hours but I was able to sleep through most of it.

It was the first time I've gotten a dirty hit like that in many years. I almost forgot how bad it sucked. Hah. Not fun.

Now I understand Verso what you were saying (I think). In other words, you used a fresh rig the next time and stilll became sick again therefore it was not your rig that was contaminated. But on the next shot was the dope from the same batch?

Exactly right. So I had effectively eliminated the rigs as factors. And then I became sick from two entirely different batches of dope, so I'm not sure that it could have been the dope either.

That's why I sort of think that the water might have had something to do with it. But I really do not know.

That's a damn good idea. Well, I've taken some time off from doing dope, and only just now taken a shot. All seems to be OK now. So, who knows what it was?

Last edited:
I always thought cotton fever was caused by the pieces of cotton or other foreign substances that are not soluble. I am no doctor and I am not saying its a fact but it makes sense that if it were bacteria or a virus, it would have to create an infection and overwhelm then immune system before you would feel any effects. If you reuse a rig infected with Hep C or HIV you don't feel anything immediate so why would it be any different with any other bacteria or virus? There are some that incubate faster then others, but nothing is immediate as far as I know. It could be a fungus but again, I would think there would have to be some kind of incubation period for any effects to be felt. I would also think that if you did feel something immediately then you are really going to be screwed when it does incubate. So if you felt it immediately its going to kill you later. IDK just trying to make sense of it.

As far as the histamine release, I think this can vary greatly like the effects of any drug on any person differs greatly so again it was an idea not a fact I based on my own experience. I have experienced similar symptoms the OP described that were relieved by taking an antihistamine before using. Could be a placebo affect for all I know. LOL

I think with all of the inconsistency there is with street stuff, it is more likely something to do with the product itself and not anything related to anything else, especially when he has tried to eliminate the other things by using a new sterile rig and practices that should eliminate them.

Dude, you can't seriously be comparing cotton fever to HIV. First of all they are virus' and cotton fever is a toxin released by bacteria, and it's pretty well known that IV exposure to toxins will result in immediate reactions by the body. Apples and oranges man.

Ugh, I got cotton fever from a bad batch of dope a couple weeks ago. I was fine on the first shot... but the next one I did about an hour later, I laid down to take a nap, I woke up 20 minutes later teeth-chattering, my whole body shaking, my head felt like it was 1000 pounds.. like I had a horrible head/cold fever. Lasted a couple hours but I was able to sleep through most of it.

It was the first time I've gotten a dirty hit like that in many years. I almost forgot how bad it sucked. Hah. Not fun.

Yea I get the headache too, and will be shivering like mad so I wrap myself in a blanket, then once I start to feel warm it goes to the other extreme and I'm burning up. I also feel very weak and dehydrated, like my eyes will feel really dry as will my mouth. I actually considered IVing saline solution like an IV bag you get in the hospital, but never wanted to mess with a rig that soon after catching 'the fever' like that.

Dude, you can't seriously be comparing cotton fever to HIV. First of all they are virus' and cotton fever is a toxin released by bacteria, and it's pretty well known that IV exposure to toxins will result in immediate reactions by the body. Apples and oranges man.

Yea I get the headache too, and will be shivering like mad so I wrap myself in a blanket, then once I start to feel warm it goes to the other extreme and I'm burning up. I also feel very weak and dehydrated, like my eyes will feel really dry as will my mouth. I actually considered IVing saline solution like an IV bag you get in the hospital, but never wanted to mess with a rig that soon after catching 'the fever' like that.

Yeah the only thing I do is take a handful of ibuprofen, curl up in bed, and hope that I sleep through most of it.

You are injecting particles you cannot see by not filtering a supposedly "clean" solution...

After each use, clean your needles or rigs you plan to reuse with iso alcohol or hydrogen peroxide...

Fill and empty the rig multiple times and even dismantle it and soak it for a period of no less than 20 seconds... Then rinse with clean water.

Wash your hands and the area you plan to shoot up in...

Ok Verso, you put a curse onto me..jinxed me so to say.

For the first time EVER I am experiencing "cotton fever" on and off past 2 days. Everything of mine was sterile (I thought) and I was using suboxone 8mg diluted in steril normal saline. I made up the whole pill a couple of days ago, filtered it into a sterile sealed container. First 2 shot, no problem. Next one...wow. after about 30 or 45 mins (I know after I just said it happens almost instantaneous) I became very ill. No teeth chattering, but fever, chills, headache, nausea (no vomiting), and skin that hurts all over and aching like crazy. Even my clothes touching me hurt, extremely dizzy. I truly thought I was coming down with something unrelated.

Took ibuprofen for fever, aches and chills and about 3 or 4 hours later felt somewhat better. Next day, another dose IV...same deal. Still wasn't sure that could be it. Went back and looked over my stuff...everything clean an new except of course the pill and then realized I had used a previously used micron wheel filter..the new one still laying in its package. Felt really dumb. So, since only meds I have until doc appt tomorrow, I refiltered solution through new filter..now..sicker than I even was the previous 2 times. And it is awful. Like a horrid case of the flu...

I'm venting and sharing I guess since it hurts to move and I can't go to sleep right now (have to pick up son in a bit).

Sound like it was the filter? Pill? Nothing at all related?

So miserable I just want to cry. Its like WDs but without diarrhea and RLS. So would most everyone who has experienced it say it usually goes away in a few hours generally?

^^

Yeah I've never had it last more than a few hours.
You think filter most likely culprit? I'm usually very very careful with everything.

Almost 4 hours and I'm still feeling prettt bad..just too much of a coincidence to not be related.

Oh..and I guess tgrash the rest of it? I refiltered with a new.22 filter and still got sick this time so obviously not helping it.