Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Kava Kava 30 % extract. Some Kanna powder and also Kava kava + alcohol effects

aguythatlikessmoke

Bluelighter
I am using some Kava kava to relieve tension, stress and anxiety as well as to help with Sleep and to induce.

I have real good Kava kava it is 30 Percent Kavalactone extract. I heat some water and dissolve the Kava kava in it and sometimes I add a bit of milk chocolate.

The effects are subtle yet at the same time very noticeable. I notice a slowing of things, thoughts,and I notice a pleasurable body buzz with strong muscular relaxation of the muscles in my forearms, fingers and back. I have been working out and yea Kava seems to have some pain killing properties as well. I love the fact that it slows me down like Benzodiazepines yet at the same time I keep a strong clarity of mind . I love this as the slowness and the clarity of mind make a nice effect along with a nootropic effect this is effective for students. I have just been studying whilst on Kava and it helps me clearly read through my information and retain facts. It effectively reduces Mental Anxiety and it provides nice body relaxation.

I love studying with Kava and I like to have some coffee and Energy drink with it whilst studying it synergizies nicely and slow downs the sedation.
There is definitively a chill feeling that Kava 30 percent gives. It reminds me of Xanax dosage in the range of .25 mg to .75 mg and with stronger sedation effects. There is a mild Euphoria.Mild Music Euphoria is noted. I just like the slowing of thoughts, thinking and attenuation of senses. Music is enjoyable, Studying is easier, There is a constant sedation over mind and slowing of mind, mental clutter, thoughts. IT decreases those racing thoughts.

I find that when I mix the Kava kava extract and Alcohol. I get very drunk on low dosages of Alcohol it increases the effects of Alcohol by at least 3 fold . For example last night I had my usual Kava tea .5 grams of 30 percent extract and I had Southern comfort, Vodka Energy red bull, and 2 beers. It got me drunk, drunk I had to sleep the whole day off, I slept from 5 am to 1 pm and then again from 4 pm to 8 pm. The hangover was a lot worse than usual too.
and I felt a slight depression following this night of drinking.

I think that Kava is a nice herb. In extracted forms it works, I Have 30 percent extract. It needs a bit of priming that means you have to take it about 3-4 days and then the 4th day you will have your first nice experience. It eases tension, anxiety helps sleep. It is very effective. Similiar to Benzos. It has nootropic effects helps with Clarity of mind.

A comparison was made and Kava had an efficacy above Buspar and similiar to small dosages of benzos.]

I also use Kanna , I found a new source. Kanna seems to work as a better mood lifter than Kava. It has more stimulative effects, energizing effects. It is an energizing herbal antidepressant. It seems to have some anxiety side effects feelings of rushing energy kind of a smiliar headspace and physical sensations to smoking a few cigarettes. Kanna and Cannabis enhance and potentiate each others effects.

Kava is more of a mood stabilizer and a nice downer, keeps clarity of mind, keeps you having a chill feeling.

Kanna is a significant mood lifter, energizer, stimulant. Its effects are increased by exercise and it seems to increase endurance. Keeps you going longer, makes you more motivated.

Nice compounds on the milder side but they have some potential for recreation and they can induce pleasurable states of mind. Low side effect profile and safe.

If you got questions about Kanna or Kava give em. Also wanted to note Kanna enhances the effects of Alcohol by making you feel more energized when drunk, more sociable and more of a Euphoric feeling. Whilst Kava makes your drunk more down like sedated, Like Klonopin with Booze.

Do you find much difference in effects when you use a fat (i.e. milk choc) with it? I've read that the Kavalactone is fat-soluble (the name certainly suggests that), but have also read people saying they don't notice a difference in potency.

I've experimented a little bit with Kava (powder). I recall the time I didn't use any fat (I use milk) - my piss smelt like pure Kava brew - so I'm assuming less was absorbed into my body.

Also, I've heard Kava has a reverse-tolerance effect; whereby the more you have, the less you need. Do you know if this is true?

And finally, anyone else care to comment on dosage? I've heard you can become paralytic if you use too much - I wonder at what dosage this occurs. I usually use 3 tablespoons of Kava (Tonga) powder and the effects are noticeable but pretty mild. Still experimenting with using more..

Do you find much difference in effects when you use a fat (i.e. milk choc) with it? I've read that the Kavalactone is fat-soluble (the name certainly suggests that), but have also read people saying they don't notice a difference in potency.

I've experimented a little bit with Kava (powder). I recall the time I didn't use any fat (I use milk) - my piss smelt like pure Kava brew - so I'm assuming less was absorbed into my body.

Also, I've heard Kava has a reverse-tolerance effect; whereby the more you have, the less you need. Do you know if this is true?

And finally, anyone else care to comment on dosage? I've heard you can become paralytic if you use too much - I wonder at what dosage this occurs. I usually use 3 tablespoons of Kava (Tonga) powder and the effects are noticeable but pretty mild. Still experimenting with using more..

I actually noticed a difference between using hott water and cold water. It seems that Kavalactones dissolve a bit better in heated liquids and the effects are better for me when i pour it into hott water. I also heard that it was more potent fat soluble ,I can kind of agree after dropping the kava into hott water some of it dissolves other part of the kava accumulates at the bottom of the cup and after i drink the water the dissolved kava the residue at the bottom I mix it with milk and drink it( I notice stronger effects after this) though I cannot say for certain .
The next time I make my tea I will just boil milk and mix it with hott milk and report back to you how it went.

Yes it does have a reverse effect. I will explain it to you. The first time you use Kava you feel it but not as intense as you would feel it after using it for a few days in a row. The 4th day of using it in a row, I notice a lot stronger effects. I also notice that if I use too much kava kava it is kinda of pointless as it seems to have a pleateau type of effect meaning even if you take more of a dosage the effects are not that much stronger. I also notice that after using it for a month daily it seems to have a mood stabilizing effect. I do not get as anxious, I do not get as low. It seems to keep my Anxiety levels more balanced after 1 month usage. I also notice that clarity of mind it gets stronger at this point. But I notice that after using it for two months in a row some negative effects develop like you feel a little depressed, also some upset stomach and GI issues, the clarity of mind goes away you feel more foggy. So its good to use for a month or two then take a break and then go at it again.

Another interesting note i was studying some of the Kavalactones and one of the contributing ones is Yangonin. Which is a Cannbinoid 1 receptor agonist with Anti Anxiety effects. Meaning Kava has some similiarities to Cannabidiol or CBD and Cannabis . A similiar mechanism of action.

Kava is nice. My main effect last about 2 hours from it( mild high) , though effects linger like sedation and calmness, for the next day that is why when you have Kava the following day it sort of accumulates in your body and boosts the effect.

Alcohol and Kava are a nice combo but also hard because the hangover is a lot stronger as is the sedation . YOu need to sleep the whole day to get over the hangover and you will you also feel foggy cloudy after the combo.

Good to hear about the better dissolution in hotter liquid, as would be expected. I was planning to brew mine in warm milk next time too.

I've tried dairy and soy, and I think soy makes me more bloated than dairy (but I'll have to confirm this...).

Interesting to hear about the longer term effects (consecutive days, and month+ use). I'd like to use mine more often but the best price I can find here in Australia is $50/200g, so with each dose (3tbsp) being about 10g, that equates to about $2.50 per cup - which is kind of expensive.

Do you ever go for a second steeping? i.e. using the 'spent' fibre for another cup? I haven't tried this yet - not sure how effective the first extraction is.

Good to hear about the better dissolution in hotter liquid, as would be expected. I was planning to brew mine in warm milk next time too.

I've tried dairy and soy, and I think soy makes me more bloated than dairy (but I'll have to confirm this...).

Interesting to hear about the longer term effects (consecutive days, and month+ use). I'd like to use mine more often but the best price I can find here in Australia is $50/200g, so with each dose (3tbsp) being about 10g, that equates to about $2.50 per cup - which is kind of expensive.

Do you ever go for a second steeping? i.e. using the 'spent' fibre for another cup? I haven't tried this yet - not sure how effective the first extraction is.

Ok so here is what happened to me. I heated and boiled some milk. I poured it into my 30 Percent Kava extract that is instant, I dont need to drain it or anything only mix it up. Heated milk and Kava extract mixed well. My whole warm cup of milk is numbing very numb as soon as I tasted a little numbness spread over my mouth and it spread into my stomach and mind and brain . I felt a bit sedated and stimulated simultaneously and a mild Euphoria. I felt a body high. Sort of Muscular relaxation spread through my legs, my back and my overall body. I find Kava is a strong anxiolytic and muscle relaxant in fact I have been working out and I dont feel the usual soreness. Could this be attributed to the Kava?

Another note, I drank a cup of Redbull before the Kava and it seems the Kava reversed the effects of the redbull while keeping the positive effects, stimulation and reversing the adrenergic, stress and also Music is so calmed and enhanced Kava gives me this sedated, chill feeling it is nice, I recommend this for anxiety. Could Kava possibly be good in Combination with stimulants? Is it good for an Amphetamine come down? I reckon Kava is good. I am very suprised this is herbal. It is amazing at time how potent herbal substances can be. What Im feeling now is on par with taking .5 mg to .75 mg of Xanax.

I also have another herb I used it is called Kanna, Sceletium Tortuosum. It is used in South Africa. I use it as a stimulant,energizer, Antidepressant and a potent herbal Mood lifter. IT also decreases anxiety but it seems to have a contraeffect of increasing anxiety on come up and it has some side effects slight insomnia and appetite suppression. It can cause Euphoria and it seems to increase the feeling of well being and lift depression. It is stronger than Kava in this sense. Though kava has stronger chill out effect and sedation, numbing and stronger muscle relaxation effects.

No doubt kava kava is better when used with heated milk it is lipid soluble. The effects are so much better, a lot stronger than when dissolved in heated water . The anxiolytic effects are nice. They hit my body and mind. I feel a mental dulling, a slowing of my mind, I feel it in my brain mind melting my anxiety. I feel whole body relaxation. I feel numbness, Muscular relaxation. Also Kava causes mild stimulation and moderate sedation simultaneously. I find I concentrate better on Kava. It relieves Physical anxiety such as tense muscles and a high racing heart rate and it chills the mind.
It eases Insomnia, I find the best is to combine Kava with Valerian or something like Mulungu as Kava is more superior to Valeriana in anxiolytic effects though Valerian has a better hypnotic effect.

Kanna,Sceletium works for anxiety but works wonders for stimulation, lifting your mood, lifting you out of depression . A strong energizing stimulating Herbal Antidepressant.It is a PDE4 inhibitor and Mentally when I take it, It feels like the come up of a shroom trip everything is bright outside a nice day. Mild Psychedelic effects though not as trippy as shrooms and no hallucination, your not tripping it feels like the psychedelic come up . It gives me a clear mind, A very clear mind.
I am using a new variety of Kanna. I hate it when you guys diss on Kanna but it is a wonder herb too.

Now im combining Kanna and Kava.

Kava kava deff does dissolve a lot better in Milk like 100 times better than water. My whole cup of milk has that numbing sensation, Taste to it and when I chug down a little numbness spreads through.

I will tell you today after using Kava Kava for a week. I can really tell its working and I can attest to Reverse tolerance. Today I slept better, had less insomnia than usual and when I woke up I felt very clear minded and my concentration was improved. I felt very refreshed. I dont feel any fatigue.
I did feel effects from Kava last week but this week they are stronger and I am feeling a lot less irritability and feel a lot more in control and clearer state of mind. It took a few days for this effect to build up.
I have noticed that using Kava for more than 2 months causes this positive effect to reverse and you start to feel more cloudy foggy depressed from using Kava too long.
It is superior to Valeriana in all aspects.

Very nice herbal, Ethnobotanical. If you got proper Kava it should work. You should feel numbness, sedation, Mild Euphoria, chill out. The high is 2 hours long Though after effects build up and are felt the next day.It is a sort of Kava Afterglow.

No Doubt Kava Kava is Psychoactive. IT is not as potent as high dosages of Benzos but it is Comparable to taking .25mg to 1 mg of Xanax or 10 mg of Valium like it feel better than low dosages of Benzos . It is more potent than Valerian except its hynoptic effects are weaker than Valeriana. But it eases Mental and the physical symptoms of Anxiety better than Valerian

Example : kava Kava hits me slowly like I drink the tea I have some effects immediately after drinking the tea, which is basically boiled milk and 30 % percent Kava extract. The immediate effect is Mild to Moderate Euphoria, Numbness of Tongue, Feeling Chilled out and these effects progress for an hour then they diminsh . I think that some of the Kava propably dissolves across my oral mucosa and Esophagus and then i have a time lapse before I start to feel more effects probably due to digestion in the GI tract . Later on I know the Kava is working because my stomach is tingling and feeling numb and now the effects are a lot stronger. Relaxation is very nice. I feel very chilled at this point which is probably 1.30 hour time lapse . I feel slightly slowed down though if I do something that requires concentration I am not impaired.In fact I find it helps with Concentration as it eases anxiety. At this point I experience Muscular relaxation it is very nice and also some analgesic effects This is the 1 hour 1.30 hour lapse. I find that Kava eases both Physical and Mental anxiety. Physically I tend to have a high heart rate at times and Kava seems to slow down my heart a bit. One more note I have been working out and Kava seems to help my recovery rate in training due to better sleep and Muscular relaxation and some of the analgesic effects. Mentally Kava has More so sedative effects for me but it is not hypnotic like Valerian. Valerian tends to have nice hypnotic properties though tolerance builds up fast. Like Kava sedates just slows down those racing thoughts, you feel a bit dreamy, you yawn and you feel relaxed. Now Kava does not put me to sleep , its not that effective it does ease insomnia I find I sleep better after using Kava ( less awakenings) and I find I wake up feeling very very refreshed and clear minded and my focusing abilities are so much better and I feel a lot less irritable after waking up. Literally it feels like the best sleep i have had in a while. You feel clear. This is the Kava Afterglow .

I use good quality 30 % percent extract which I dissolve in Boiling milk. I find that the Kava high lasts anywhere from 1-3 hours. It depends on how fast you drink your cup on how much you took etc. It does produce Euphoria and the Kava Euphoria is nice it is like Benzodiazepines. Kava seems to improve cognitive abilities and concentration and increase norepinephrine which is involved in attention. It does not impair cognition like benzos. It has a reverse tolerance and a plateau effect you dont need to dose really high to feel good on it.

One more note when mixed with Alcohol it messes you up. I drank 2 beers and 1 vodka and 1 vodka OJ last night . But I felt very drunk on par of how I would feel if I had lets say 6-7 shots of whiskey. It is enjoyable it makes your drunk better. But you are more drunk and a lot less aware of your surroundings it reallly enhances your drunk and the next day you will sleep the whole day literaly like a baby the hangover is a bia a tch and you feel Groggy as heck after this combo you feel drugged essentially like I woke up this morning with blood shot eyes feeling groggy. I also think maybe 2-3 beers over the whole night with Kava are good but hard liquor is not. This morning I woke up feeling drugged, groggy, nausea, I also have a bit of abdominal discomfort and pain upper right quadrant you feel it in your liver immediately. I dont think Kava is so damaging to your Liver on its own but when mixed with Alcohol the next day you will have GI discomfort.

What I do attest is that Kava and Alcohol combo are so much more recreational and you feel more Euphoric and more sedated when you mix the two. But the hangover is stronger and there is GI discomfort. It also feels numbing.

Now about Kava Reverse tolerance basically the first few days you take it, you feel it but its not so intense only after a week of taking it you start to feel way better effects. Like the first few times u take it compare it to .25mg of Xanax then a week later compare it to .5 mg .75mg or 1mg . Kava is similiar to benzos but it has its own unique high. I used Kava for two months and I found during those two months it continuously helps with Anxiety and it stabilizes your mood so you experience less mood swings, kind of like lamotrigine. It eases sleep. It doesnt have strong hypnotic effects but it does sedate and you have less awakenings and sleep is more refreshing.
I found though after two months of taking it that it started to have bad effects after this point like I would start to feel foggy, Groggy, Depressed, Sedated, a bit Slurred this is after taking it for two months and the anti anxiety effects diminshed etc.
So Perhaps Kava First has a Reverse Tolerance then the effects Plateau and after that you develop Tolerance to it and you need to take a break. At least that is how it was for me but everybodies Brain is different. I was getting to that . We Humans when we use drugs, Psychoactives what one person enjoys or what works for one doesnt work for another. That is like the Kanna S Tortuosum I have been using . It works for me but some people do not enjoy it. IT is differences in brain chemicals.

Kava is subtle and Mild to Moderate effects it works but it is more comparable to low doses of benzos nonetheless enjoyable. you wont feel like you took 5 mg of Clonazepam. Its not that potent. Though you do notice it has effect on you. I would describe them Positive. I do think u need extract and a good source regular teas are not as potent.

I must try taking it a few days in a row as I tend to use it sporadically and sometimes I feel it, sometimes not (which is frustrating to a drug user who is expecting a feeling from a drug ingested) I take about 3000 mg of powdered kava at a time (about 5 capsules) as my kava is not very potent. I also take it with high fat substances like 18% cream. And I also take clonazepam 2.5 daily. I have yet to take kava and say WOW!

FYI - kavalactones and alcohol are both metabolized by the liver. It is quite unsafe to mix alcohol and kava for this reason. Kava itself is pretty rough on the liver, as is alcohol. A year ago or so, I was using kava to help ease opiate withdrawals, for which is works decently. I was taking it many times a day, like 5-7 times a day, to try to keep that small amount of relief going (plus I think it helped me mentally just to be taking something at all). After like a week and a half of this, I suddenly started feeling very ill, and my guts started hurting badly. It kept getting worse. Finally I noticed that it got worse directly after I would take the kava, every time. I went through about a day and a half of this, and I felt sicker and sicker as time went on before it occurred to me that it was the kava. I stopped taking it and the next day I felt fine, well, I was withdrawing but I didn't feel sick anymore. And by sick, I mean I had a fever and I felt like my body was falling apart. It was this experience that helped me to understand that kava, while generally pretty safe, can definitely cause serious side effects when abused. I strongly recommend against combining kava and alcohol.

Also you mentioned kanna... just thought I;d mention that kanna is not for everyone. When I take it I experience quite strong physical effects that produce a powerful anxiety and dysphoria... every time I have tried taking it, I experience this, it is highly unpleasant.

Last edited:
FYI - kavalactones and alcohol are both metabolized by the liver. It is quite unsafe to mix alcohol and kava for this reason. Kava itself is pretty rough on the liver, as is alcohol. A year ago or so, I was using kava to help ease opiate withdrawals, for which is works decently. I was taking it many times a day, like 5-7 times a day, to try to keep that small amount of relief going (plus I think it helped me mentally just to be taking something at all). After like a week and a half of this, I suddenly started feeling very ill, and my guts started hurting badly. It kept getting worse. Finally I noticed that it got worse directly after I would take the kava, every time. I went through about a day and a half of this, and I felt sicker and sicker as time went on before it occurred to me that it was the kava. I stopped taking it and the next day I felt fine, well, I was withdrawing but I didn't feel sick anymore. And by sick, I mean I had a fever and I felt like my body was falling apart. It was this experience that helped me to understand that kava, while generally pretty safe, can definitely cause serious side effects when abused. I strongly recommend against combining kava and alcohol.

Also you mentioned kanna... just thought I;d mention that kanna is not for everything. When I take it I experience quite strong physical effects that produce a powerful anxiety and dysphoria... every time I have tried taking it, I experience this, it is highly unpleasant.

Yea man Kava kava deff does have side effects its not good to overdue. I will mention I felt abdominal and gut pain from kava when combining it with Alcohol but for me it was only when combining with Alcohol and another weird side effect I felt on Kava was a skin rash after using it for a month or two , it caused my skin to get dry and red, rashy. Eczema I had to reduce the dosage or stop takin it for a few weeks.

Now on the other hand besides the side effects I think Kava kava is a plus plus herbal substance it is very therapeutic eases stress and anxiety and though herbal I will attest it is a very good anxiolytic and it helped me a lot with insomnia.
It has effects on par with low dosages of Benzos.
Phenibut is a good substance.

Kanna= i think you need a proper source and fresh material the buzz is stimulating and euphoric helps a lot with anxiety.