• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids why do opiates make you crave sugar?

kristofires

Bluelighter
does anyone else crave sweets while on opiates? i swear sometimes i have to have ice cream when im on methadone.
[ 03 November 2002: Message edited by: kristofires ]

I am not sure either, but they definately do. I remember reading instructions for fentanyl use in animals, and it said that due to the "euphoria", the dogs may start eating excessively (and to limit food accordingly). The reason why sweet food in particular, im am not sure....

what i found...
Heroin addicts have shown flat glucose tolerance curves, with an exaggerated and delayed insulin response following oral glucose loading. Heroin addicts have a markedly reduced acute insulin response to glucose administered intravenously and have low potassium values.
http://www.diet-and-health.net/Nutrients/miscellaneous.html
apparently, opiates can induce an almost hypoglycemic state, and thus a craving for sugars and food in general.
[ 03 November 2002: Message edited by: Frunobulax ]

Good question. I haven't really noticed this that much, sometimes when my opiates hit I get hungry for any food but after they take full effect I loose my appetite immediatley.

THIS IS KRISTOFIRE. i lost my password and forgot which email addy i used to register.
anyways, thanx. i crave sweets bad. for some reason dilaudids and methadone makes me crave sweets. oc's did not that much. i couldnt eat anything while doing oc's.

Once opiates wear off i notice i am repulsed by 2 things.
1.Loud noises, opiates make my ears sensitive.
2. Anything sweet, it just tastes godawful for some reason.
Maybe im different?

how long have you been on them silver? i was a heavy user for more than 1 year. everyday i was doing a good amount of oc's.
maybe its just me. i have met other people that do a bag of heroin and light a cig and go straight for the ice cream. i dont know how people drink alcohol and do opiates. i never crave alcohol while doing them.

Ive been doing codeine, hydro, and oxy off and on for a little over a year now.. Sugar just seems to make my stomach unhappy, and taste artificial.. Prob just me.

I notice I crave sugar while on opiates. It is similar to getting a food craving while having the munchies but more intense.

i suffer from the same side effect u mentioned in NUMBER 1 in your post SILVERFUCKED..its is quite annoying as well...NUMBER 2, i dont get that effect..
i NEVER craved sugar while taking OXY either, i had an appetite for any type of foods, but with HEROIN, all i really have a taste to eat is pure JUNK FOOD, like cookies, ice cream, candy bars etc etc...i would say it would be rough keeping a good diet going while hitting a heavy smack habit..

I usually crave sugar after coming down from a good oc high. The one thing i crave bad when railing a big line is coffee in the morning and a cold beer at night. They just go together so well. Maybe its just me... Other people i know dont want anything to do with alchohol or eating.

Prolly makes ur blood sugar low. That will give you the munchies for sugar like a mutha.

canabud your like my friend who intriduced me to oxys. he loved beer and oxys. personally it took my craving for alcohol away totally. i gave up drinking totally once i started doing oxys.
thank you for the input. it looks like some crave sugar and some dont. interesting.

FUCK, there is no way i would drink ALCOHOL after taking OXY or any OPIATE..OPIATES totally satisfy my druggy urges to where i dont even think or need to take anything else, especially ALCOHOL..i would think ALCOHOL would ruin a good OPIATE high..
ALCOHOL is fucking nasty and should only be consumed if you take regular drug tests, or if you have absolutely NOTHING else to take!!

FreakK said:
FUCK, there is no way i would drink ALCOHOL after taking OXY or any OPIATE..OPIATES totally satisfy my druggy urges to where i dont even think or need to take anything else, especially ALCOHOL..i would think ALCOHOL would ruin a good OPIATE high..
ALCOHOL is fucking nasty and should only be consumed if you take regular drug tests, or if you have absolutely NOTHING else to take!!
I agree...alcohol is for homeless people..

I eat starburst all day.

I love candy like that. Mambas, starburst, tootsie roll frooties. Even a nice hit from the squeeze pop bottle. Love it.

Sugar is a huge part of my high. I crave it intensely.

I personally don't crave sugar especially, more just food in general. I can wake up and be completely not hungry, do a shot and immediately need something to eat.

Funny how others were mentioning not craving anything on OC's. I noticed that as well too. They never really made me crave food, just the opposite actually.

With heroin, I almost always get hungry and usually will crave sweets. I eat a few dove chocolates, a bowl of ice cream, and usually something else (piece of cake, cookies, frosted flakes, rice krispie treats) pretty much everyday while I'm high. I imagine it's not all that healthy.

my stomach growls right after i take a hit off crack :)

anyway from an alcaholic ...a good way to override the cravings is to use GLUTAMINE it is used as glucose in the brain ,like 100mg disolved under tongue even worked to stop alcahol cravings to an extent ...really remarkable

i mean if you you are really worried about it take the glutamine ,if not eat some candy

when im on a good dose of opiates i swear any noises makes my ears feel funny..like they cant take it and they block the noise out cause they get all distorted and shit.....doesnt bother me too much

NOTHING will compare to when i was withdrawing from alcohol ,had to tell my g/f to shut the hell up ...i swear it hurt my ears so bad .......