• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Ketamine salts solubility

Right, but this is a pretty restrictive operationalization of "cognitive enhancer", and the measure they chose, encoding of new long term memories, is something that classical stimulants seem to hinder. Then again, classical stimulants seem to show cognitive enhancement only with very specific measures (centering on vigilance and STM management), not translating well to everyday learning and cognitive processing.

ebola

encoding of new long term memories, is something that classical stimulants seem to hinder

I'm going to be fascinated to see what effects PRL-8-53 has on that, once it hits the RC noots market soon: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRL-8-53

Too bad it has barely been formally studied, but it certainly appears to have the most effect on people with somewhat naturally impaired memories.

Psychol Res Behav Manag. 2013 Aug 27;6:65-74. doi: 10.2147/PRBM.S47526.
Influence of methylphenidate treatment assumptions on cognitive function in healthy young adults in a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Mommaerts JL, Beerens G, Van den Block L, Soetens E, Schol S, Van De Vijver E, Devroey D.
Department of Family Medicine, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium.

So in laymans terms: Ritalin is just an active placebo. Not a smart drug.

I'm not saying the conclusion is wrong. But if you were going to write an academic article on the matter you'd need a lot more evidence. What I'm saying is that doesn't prove its more likely than not Ritalin is just an active placebo.

Forum mission:

Our goal is to hold detailed discussion of specialized topics in pharmacology, focusing on the mechanisms underlying the complex and multifaceted activity of various compounds. General questions about the chemical properties of drugs themselves, and the underlying biochemical systems that respond to these compounds are also encouraged. In sum, our goal is to discuss chemical, biological, neurological, etc. research far more extensively and rigorously than can be found elsewhere on this site.

We encourage posters to draw explicitly from published research, as this tends to cultivate more focused, fruitful discussion. However, we also encourage limited speculative discussion, directed by educated guesswork (that is, rooted in some logic in terms of pharmacological mechanisms).

Examples of things we want to see include:

-Discussion rooted in research from a peer-reviewed journal. Provide at least the abstract and a link back to the article. Please focus on quality over quantity. Discussion of the research is much more valuable than link dumps, please organize those in NSFW tags and give a short summary of the papers referenced. This is similar to the Drugs in the Media format
-Review/summary of a series of at least two related peer-reviewed articles and presentation of said summaries in a "for your information" format
-Presentation of a "problem" that you are trying to answer. Include what you have come up with so far, and ask for assistance discerning the solution to your problem.
-Presentation of accepted facts and exploration of what (if anything) can be extrapolated beyond what is known
-Presentation of two supported theories that seem to be in conflict with each other and debate over the relative merits of each

Unacceptable discussion:

1. Synthesis discussion: this rule is applied site-wide and should be obvious to you already. Synthesis discussion could attract the type of unwanted attention from law enforcement agencies that would jeopardize the site in its entirety. As a rule of thumb, if the discussion at hand involves successive steps and reagents, with the goal of transforming a precursor into a different compound, it is synthesis discussion. This applies even to legal compounds, supplements, nootropics, etc. But there are grey areas. It is acceptable to talk about washing/cleaning drugs and the chemistry involved in the appearance of toxic by-products commonly found in them. Methods for extractions from pharmaceuticals or plant materials are typically acceptable (though are also usually covered in other sub-forums, particularly when the procedures are straightforward).

2. Ad-hominem attacks: personally attacking someone adds nothing to the elucidation cultivated by fruitful debate; just don't be an asshole, even if you're right.

3. Baseless speculation: again, make sure that reasoned argument and at least some empirical data support the claims that you make. This includes "what did I take" type threads as well as identification of mystery compounds. At best, you get lucky and someone guesses the right answer. At worst, you can get hurt working on false assumptions about your drugs. If you need concrete identification of drugs or their impurities, take it to a testing service, or get test kits.

4a. Medical/psychiatric questions: in particular, we are not here to advise you on what drugs you should take to treat a disorder you have diagnosed in yourself--that's your physician's job. However, discussion of the mechanisms involved in psychiatric medications is encouraged.

4b. What should I take/Why don't I feel it: we are not here to tell you what drugs to take, or why drug X didn't have the effects you desired from it (unless the latter presents a truly interesting pharmacological puzzle); we are discussing pharmacology, not acting as amateur pharmacists.

5. Vendor hype: this is not the venue for attempted viral marketing, even if subtle. The clearest examples tend to take the form, "Chemical Y is about to hit the market. I have tried it, and it's more euphoric than MDMA but with fewer after-effects," "chemical Y" often being referred to by some stupid attempt at a brand name. Don't do anything like this.

6. Drug testing questions: this too is a site-wide policy: the answers will be too speculative to be very useful to you, and none of us are qualified to provide you with legal advice.

Finally, regarding mod-decisions:
If you have a problem with an action taken by a mod, please PM them. If you're still dissatisfied with the response and resolution, please PM the overseeing smod or admin. If you are still dissatisfied, start a thread in Support to discuss the matter in a wider venue, with various staff and other site members.

Anyway, have fun! Remember that we're just a bunch of druggies who finally decided to get nerdy about it.

--The Mod Team: skorpio

Last edited by a moderator:
5-(2-Aminopropyl)indole (5-IT): a psychoactive substance used for recreational purposes is an inhibitor of human monoamine oxidase (MAO)

5-(2-Aminopropyl)indole (5-IT) is a psychoactive compound that has recently been associated with several fatal and non-fatal intoxications in a number of European countries. There are indications that acute effects may include symptoms of monoaminergic (e.g. serotonin) toxicity and one mechanism involved in the increase of serotonin levels includes the inhibition of monoamine oxidase. This study investigated the effect of 5-IT on human MAO-A and -B isozymes using kynuramine as the substrate. Substrate conversion to 4-hydroxyquinoline was monitored by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled to diode array detection. This method was employed to determine the extent of MAO inhibition (IC50 and Ki) and it was found that 5-IT was a selective, competitive and reversible inhibitor of MAO-A. 5-IT revealed a relatively potent ability to inhibit MAO-A (IC50 = 1.6 μM and Ki = 0.25 μM) while MAO-B inhibition was not observed (0–500 μM 5-IT). Under identical experimental conditions, other established inhibitors of MAO-A and antidepressants provided the following IC50 values: clorgyline 16 nM, harmaline 20 nM, toloxatone 6.7 μM and moclobemide >500 μM. These data indicated that 5-IT was less potent than clorgyline and harmaline but more potent than toloxatone and moclobemide under the in-vitro conditions studied. The inhibition of MAO-A suggests that 5-IT by itself or in combination with other substances may be able to potentiate serotonergic/monoaminergic effects and further studies are needed to clarify its relevance to the adverse effects reported for 5-IT.

The does explain its lethality in higher doses. However, the typical dose of harmaline is 150mg, yet in this study harmaline is reported as ~100x more potent. So in theory, productive MAO inhibition is not going to really manifest until at least the 500mg mark. Am I missing something?

It looks like those who took it to binge levels were in for a world of hurt/death. Too bad. :( Goes to show that maybe people need to approach very new compounds with Shulginesque dosing schedules until more research comes out.

ebola

Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic effects of methylphenidate and MDMA administered alone or in combination
Cédric M. Hysek, Linda D. Simmler, Nathalie Schillinger, Nicole Meyer, Yasmin Schmid, Massimiliano Donzelli, Eric Grouzmann and Matthias E. Liechti
The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1461145713001132 (About DOI), Published online: 08 October 2013
Methylphenidate and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, ‘ecstasy’) are widely misused psychoactive drugs. Methylphenidate increases brain dopamine and norepinephrine levels by blocking the presynaptic reuptake transporters. MDMA releases serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine through the same transporters. Pharmacodynamic interactions of methylphenidate and MDMA are likely. This study compared the pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic effects of methylphenidate and MDMA administered alone or in combination in healthy subjects using a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover design. Methylphenidate did not enhance the psychotropic effects of MDMA, although it produced psychostimulant effects on its own. The haemodynamic and adverse effects of co-administration of methylphenidate and MDMA were significantly higher compared with MDMA or methylphenidate alone. Methylphenidate did not change the pharmacokinetics of MDMA and vice versa. [...] In conclusion, the combined use of methylphenidate and MDMA does not produce more psychoactive effects compared with either drug alone, but potentially enhances cardiovascular and adverse effects. The findings may be of clinical importance for assessing the risks of combined psychostimulant misuse.

Yay for human studies on psychoactives!

maybe for the same reason that 2C-H isn't active? Fluorine can act more like Hydrogen than like a halogen, i believe.

those pesky neutron stars amirite?

How does that work? Stars that only consist of neutrons? And there's enough of those stars to make their number bigger than the total number of atoms, even counting those in non-neutrino stars? That sounds so far-fetched it must be true. ;]

But really?

qZ2ndgW.jpg

this is completely false, if anyone didn't realize

like saying "there are more brick houses on this street than there are bricks"

Yeah I was aware it was a joke image, though yea if there were more neutron stars that there were atoms then it would be correct.

Haha, Transform's reply got me. Nice one though. As long as it sounds deep enough, most people will simply believe it without questioning. =)

Just had a nice read through this thread. Love the jokes!

I'm not very versed in chemistry/pharmacology like others here, though I really love it. I study it as more of a hobby... would be my main focus if music wasn't my passion. Sound design is fascinating! The science of sound, then I get to make it into art! Though I'd say science is art too on a base level.

Anyways, just wanted to chime in here. I really enjoy reading this forum.

It just hit me, amineptine is in fact the most phallic drug molecular I've seen yet:
Amineptine3Dan.gif

Too bad it isn't a PDE5 inhibitor =D

Lanicemine: a low-trapping NMDA channel blocker produces sustained antidepressant efficacy with minimal psychotomimetic adverse effects
Molecular Psychiatry advance online publication 15 October 2013; doi: 10.1038/mp.2013.130
G Sanacora, M A Smith, S Pathak, H-L Su, P H Boeijinga, D J McCarthy and M C Quirk
Ketamine, an N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) channel blocker, has been found to induce rapid and robust antidepressant-like effects in rodent models and in treatment-refractory depressed patients. However, the marked acute psychological side effects of ketamine complicate the interpretation of both preclinical and clinical data. Moreover, the lack of controlled data demonstrating the ability of ketamine to sustain the antidepressant response with repeated administration leaves the potential clinical utility of this class of drugs in question. Using quantitative electroencephalography (qEEG) to objectively align doses of a low-trapping NMDA channel blocker, AZD6765 (lanicemine), to that of ketamine, we demonstrate the potential for NMDA channel blockers to produce antidepressant efficacy without psychotomimetic and dissociative side effects. Furthermore, using placebo-controlled data, we show that the antidepressant response to NMDA channel blockers can be maintained with repeated and intermittent drug administration. Together, these data provide a path for the development of novel glutamatergic-based therapeutics for treatment-refractory mood disorders.