European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

The EADD Metathread - Let's talk about how we can improve EADD

knock

Bluelighter
A meta-thread is a thread about threads. Just as meta-data is data about data!

This thread is for discussing the "running" of EADD.

Gripe with the mods
? You should probably take it to PM, or raise it with the Seniors, but I suppose some things are worthy of open discussion here. We'll let you know soon enough.

But ideas for new threads, new guidelines, that sort of thing, do it in here please :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I closed the Mental Health Support thread, so I could remove the off-topic discussion. As you know I've created a Mental Health Discussion thread, for all your "suicide is for cowards" chat. That stuff is not acceptable in a support thread. But also for "what is depression", chit chat about approaches to mental health problems, things that don't qualify as giving someone support.

I'm going to move quite a few posts into that discussion thread. There is also a fair bit of totally off-topic banter that I suppose should go to gibberings. Or I could just delete it. Tell me what you think I should do. I don't want folk whining about deleted posts (and they do whine!) but moving posts about can often just lead to confusion.

lol. EADD meta thread.

Doesn't Seniors have a U in it somewhere? Eh probably not.

I'll be well up for being a gobshite in this thread once I've had some kip. It's a decent thread with a decent function. Kinda like beefthread but more constructive (<3 to Alby) ..

Time for bed soon tho. Big fat hugs n stuff for seemingly limitless amounts of effort, knockers <3

[edit]

On the subject of deletions, before making any deletions I'd at least wait for brimzini to make an appearance and have chance to comment in the morning, since it was his baby from the start

On the subject of deletions, before making any deletions I'd at least wait for brimzini to make an appearance and have chance to comment in the morning, since it was his baby from the start

Good thinking. I will re-open the support thread. If there are any new posts which do not request support, express woe, or provide support and succour, they will be moderated and if they come from people who should know better then infractions will fly faster than Freddy Laker.

And thank you, swarm.

i have no objections if you wanna delete my off topic stuff in the Mental Health Spport Thread.

Why isn't suicide support chat sent over to mentalhealth/tds? I know eadd has always been pretty open in it's remit as long as the discussion centers around europeans but the forum would operate much better if threads were in their relevant forums. BL has enough traffic to keep threads busy in the less frequented forums so threads with a clear focus on an area with a relevant sub forum are likely to operate much more effectively and get more informative responses in said space. Not a big issue but something to think about.

/boringmodtalk

Well, we don't get much suicide chat per se, owen. And we do direct people to TDS where necessary. Not sure where you get that idea that we do not?

I should add that, as someone who's had my fair share of low periods and indeed attempted suicide, TDS is the last place I would want to go. It's the most depressing forum on BL.

But as I say, if people are suicidal we will let them know TDS exists, I can point you to a recent example if you want.

Having said all that, get to fuck, ex-mod! :D

Oh, and it was an EADD member, not a mod, who created the Mental Health Support thread. If I have any say in the matter, members will be listened to first and foremost.

Just from what you said about dealing with it in eadd in this thread! Not been posting last couple of months so haven't been following what is going on but seems like the sensible thing to do rather than dealing with it here. Not a criticism, just I think eadd operates best when it is limited to drug/social discussion. Only my opinion!

Just from what you said about dealing with it in eadd in this thread!

Not sure what you mean? We've had a Mental Health Support forum for almost two years, since 29th November 2011 in fact. This is nothing new. So nothing I've said in here is suggestive of any change in M.O.

Not been posting last couple of months so haven't been following what is going on but seems like the sensible thing to do rather than dealing with it here.

Yeah I understand it might seem sensible. Personally, my approach to modding, is to give people a choice and let them take the one that works for them. So as I said, if I think someone should know about TDS I'll make them aware. But you can de-mod me before I'll tell people they cannot talk about their issues in here.

Not a criticism, just I think eadd operates best when it is limited to drug/social discussion. Only my opinion!

Sure, I want to hear your opinion (but don't be surprised if I give you mine back :D ). In what ways is it not operating well right now?

Not sure what you mean? We've had a Mental Health Support forum for almost two years, since 29th November 2011 in fact. This is nothing new. So nothing I've said in here is suggestive of any change in M.O.

Yeah I understand it might seem sensible. Personally, my approach to modding, is to give people a choice and let them take the one that works for them. So as I said, if I think someone should know about TDS I'll make them aware. But you can de-mod me before I'll tell people they cannot talk about their issues in here.

Sure, I want to hear your opinion (but don't be surprised if I give you mine back :D ). In what ways is it not operating well right now?

I didn't say things weren't operating well, you're reading that in to what I've said of your own volition, no need to get so defensive dude! Just because I'm voicing an opinion it doesn't mean you are being criticised. I'm more than happy to hear your opinion, it's great that as a mod you're committed and have a firm opinion, I've never suggested otherwise. All I was getting at is that I think a busy forum that exists for a distinct/serious purpose runs better when they are kept relatively 'strict' on referring threads to relevant sub forums rather than running crossover threads in other forums (even though I would usually lean towards a 'hands off' approach from mods in most forums). You asked for opinions don't get so defensive when people give them, it's all constructive discussion for trying to provide the best harm reduction service!

lol

Yes, you're right I am being a little defensive, I suppose I'm a bit tired, I want to chill out, I had a busy couple of hours where I was trying to keep order in the forum... but hey, not that different from any other day :D

But in truth I think you're being a bit slippery! No, you didn't say "things aren't operating well", but you did say "EADD operates best when... [stuff that is not currently the case]" which implies that EADD is currently not operating "best" so my question should have been "in what way is it not operating best?"

I really do not agree with you that things should be done in such a strict manner like you say. This is quite a tight-knit community in EADD, people kinda know each other. I don't know anyone that moderates or posts regularly in TDS, if I have something I want to discuss I'd much rather discuss it with people here than on some other subforum where everyone's a stranger, and I don't know who to trust or what people are like.

edit: But anyway, this is definitely a useful discussion to be having and I'd be very interested to hear what the EADD regulars have to say about this :) Actually makes me happy I started this thread, I think it could prove very productive.

But in truth I think you're being a bit slippery! No, you didn't say "things aren't operating well", but you did say "EADD operates best when... [stuff that is not currently the case]" which implies that EADD is currently not operating "best" so my question should have been "in what way is it not operating best?"

I really do not agree with you that things should be done in such a strict manner like you say. This is quite a tight-knit community in EADD, people kinda know each other. We're a community, dare I say it. I don't know anyone that moderates or posts regularly in TDS, if I have something I want to discuss I'd much rather discuss it with people here than on some other subforum where everyone's a stranger, and I don't know who to trust or what people are like.

It didn't say 'eadd operates best...' as a definitive statement, I qualified it as being 'just my opinion'! It's great to hear you have a strong community going here. It's really good that you've started a thread like this and are making an effort to evaluate your moderation, you're doing far better than me when I was mod! There's no need to be defensive though when someone posts an opinion that differs from yours, we're all in it together!

peace.jpg

How do I express that I'm not being defensive? I'm not! I started this thread in order to get feedback, I'm getting it, good :) this is good!

I disagree with you, but let's hear what other people have to say on the subject.

Oh and stop flattering me, you're making me blush :eek:

Nah seriously I was a shit mod. I was knowledgeable and disseminated information well but disappeared without any warning when I had to go through detox years ago and then didn't return for years! Went AWOL from my post without a word basically.

Needs more rugby and threads about chalets. Those are my two favorite things about Europe. Well that and drinking graxox watching the football.

I think having a Mental Health thread in this section is a great idea as most of us 'know' what each other are going through and it would be much easier to talk things over with the folks of EADD than posting in a random thread.

Yes we can point people in the direction of TDS etc but still I think most of us would be more comfortable discussing things in here.

knock;11869752 Oh said:
members[/I] will be listened to first and foremost.

Being the member that created the Mental Health support thread ( probably one of the best things i have done in EADD ) i am very glad that it is being looked after .

It is a valuable thread & IMO should be Moderated with care . I agree with your decision to cut out the Suicide natter as that isn't stupport it is discussion as you rightfully pointed out .
I made a few off topic post in said thread myself n apologised n would have no problem if they were moved or deleted.

Yes we can point people in the direction of TDS etc but still I think most of us would be more comfortable discussing things in here.

Bearlove you have hit the nail on the head , the difference between a Support Thread within EADD wherte most of us post & the TDS is huge . When an EADD member posts in the support thread they will usually get that support from someone they know .
Where as in TDS things are very different , not knocking TDS but there is just something a bit dramatic about it that doesn't sit well with me .

Good Job Knock :)

One .little niggle , why does every thread have to have a Tag Line . IMO there is no need for the "Share your woes n Support each other " IMO it's dumbing down but if you think it will help folk differentiate between support n discussion then let it be but just give it a think .

Last edited: