• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Possibility of losing shot during IV cause of blood.

JakalLovesNods

Greenlighter
Is it possible to lose all or most of some dope while shooting. For instance when you shoot up, and pull the rig out, and start bleeding out alot. How much of that blood would you estimate is mixed with dope? Or does blood pump fast enough by the time your done with the shot and pull out the rig would your blood already be far from your injection spot? Just wondering if it's possible to lose all or most of your shot from bleeding afterwards. So i'll know in the future if it'll be better to wait like 10-30 seconds before I pull the gear out. Normally I don't bleed alot when I pull the gear out, but sometimes I bleed alot for a few seconds. Thanks in advanced for any productive responses.

Most of your shot has flowed away from the injection site pretty quickly. You should always shoot it really slowly anyway. You might have a tiny amount come out when you remove the needle but it would be such a small amount it won't make any difference.

I'm concerned though about the way you said that. When you remove the needle do you just pull it out and let it bleed a little? you should remove the needle slowly (pulling it out quickly can cause some damage or the vein to collapse sometimes) and then immediately put pressure on it with something clean. If you don't have anything handy then place your fingers over the injection site and apply a little pressure (assuming your hands are pretty clean since you should always wash them before you start.) This will keep it from bleeding out and inside. If you allow it to bleed inside it can cause a build up blood inside your body at the injection site which can cause a hematoma, sometimes a pretty nasty one. I even go so far as to apply pressure for at least 30 to 45 seconds and raise my arm (or hand) above the level of my heart. This will cause it to stop bleeding faster and prevent it from bruising up. All that blood pooling in that are can cause additional damage to the surrounding tissues.

^
That made me all warm and fuzzy. Don't know why , something about women shooting up (properly ,)

But I always have clean tissues on me for this purpose, blood stains are a pretty obvious giveaway for those who know what to look for.

Alternatively try diluting your shot more it's easier on the veins and following your logic less drugs will go to waste.

^
That made me all warm and fuzzy. Don't know why , something about women shooting up (properly ,)

But I always have clean tissues on me for this purpose, blood stains are a pretty obvious giveaway for those who know what to look for.

Alternatively try diluting your shot more it's easier on the veins and following your logic less drugs will go to waste.

;) glad I could make you feel good!

Yea, I normally inject at a medium speed, and when I pull the gear out sometimes I pull it out fast. However I use short tips, so usually theres not much to pull out. In this case I just bled alot, I did apply pressure with my finger, however only for a short amount of time, maybe like 4 seconds, and when I let go more blood kept pumping out, until I finally put more pressure on it, for like 10 seconds, and it stopped except for a little trickle. Normally I don't bleed that much, I think it was because it was a vein I hadn't hit in quite awhile. So the vein was in perfect condition. After I finished the shot, I did clean my arm up, and applied a little vitamin e lotion, and antibiotic ointment, as I normally do. To try and keep track marks down and decrease risk of any bacteria. I was just worried that I might've lost all my shot, from the amount of blood that came out. But I know i'm feeling it, so that couldn't be the case thankfully. I appreciate your concern, I do have some bad habits, that I need to work on when it comes to IVing. I'm not the most sanitary IVer, i'll work on my bad qualities such as removing the needle quickly, I also have a bad habit of not loosening the tourniquet before I shoot, but that depends on the vein i'm hitting too. Thanks again for the response/concern.

^
that tourniquet thing is probably the reason why you are bleeding so much , it prevents the blood flow back to the heart/ puts more pressure on the vein walls. I'm not saying I never bleed after a fix , bu loosening a tourniquet is imo very important in preventing vein damage (smaller veins will blow out if you don't loosen it )

Is it possible to lose all or most of some dope while shooting. For instance when you shoot up, and pull the rig out, and start bleeding out alot. How much of that blood would you estimate is mixed with dope? Or does blood pump fast enough by the time your done with the shot and pull out the rig would your blood already be far from your injection spot? Just wondering if it's possible to lose all or most of your shot from bleeding afterwards. So i'll know in the future if it'll be better to wait like 10-30 seconds before I pull the gear out. Normally I don't bleed alot when I pull the gear out, but sometimes I bleed alot for a few seconds. Thanks in advanced for any productive responses.

No that's not possible. It doesn't work that way. Your blood travels incredibly fast and once you inject it, it is gone into your bloodstream and on it's way to your brain. You loose absolutely no drug from bleeding as a result of the puncture wound..

I agree with Bingeboy...not removing the tourniquest probably has a lot to do with your bleeding.

I know you acknowledged some bad habits and said you would work on them but seriously, it will be to your benefit. If you remove the needle quickly you can cause the vein collapse or other damage. As far as shooting fast (I know you said medium in your case) but think of it like this...have you eve put water or other liquid in your. Syringe and shot it out, in the air or the sink or something? It shoots out with a lot of force because it is being pushed through such a tiny hole. If you don't shoot slow then that really strong stram of liquid drugs is hitting the inside of your vein (which is a delicate tissue) pretty damn hard and can cause some damage in there. By shooting slowly you also can test your drug and if it is gonna hit you hard or bad you will know before you have injected the whole thing and can stop saving yourself some trouble.

Also, when you hold pressure on that spot do it at least for 30 secs or so. A few seconds won't take care of it. By preventing the bleeding then not only do you save yourself a mess like Bingeboy said, you prevent bruising which can look terrible and be a giveaway and cause damage to surrounding tissue.

Anyway, the point to remember about all of these strategies is to your advantage, it will save your veins!

Remove needle and immediately swap with alcohol and hold til bleed stops. Th is prefers bruising among other things

You should also go slow to make sure your still registering. I like to stop half way and pull back slightly to make sure I haven't gone strait threw. Better a ruined shot with blood then a missed shot my opinion. Plus I can always booty rock it lol

I work collecting plasma so alot of my job is phlebotomy. We cant use a vein if it is bruised so we try to make sure we stop bleeding as soon as we pull the needle out, so our donors cab continue to donate plasma. Pull the needle put swiftly but not forcefully. Apply guaze as soon as the needle is out and raise thr VP site above your head for about 60 seconds. DO NOT wipe with alcohol as ethanol prevents clotting and the vp site will keep bleeding. Alcohol (only 90% or above really cleans the site) should be applied prior to injection, not after. I use 17g 1.5 inch needles at my work and dont bruise any veins so with my advice then a 27-31g short tip should not cause any bruisong if you follow my advice.

I work collecting plasma so alot of my job is phlebotomy. We cant use a vein if it is bruised so we try to make sure we stop bleeding as soon as we pull the needle out, so our donors cab continue to donate plasma. Pull the needle put swiftly but not forcefully. Apply guaze as soon as the needle is out and raise thr VP site above your head for about 60 seconds. DO NOT wipe with alcohol as ethanol prevents clotting and the vp site will keep bleeding. Alcohol (only 90% or above really cleans the site) should be applied prior to injection, not after. I use 17g 1.5 inch needles at my work and dont bruise any veins so with my advice then a 27-31g short tip should not cause any bruisong if you follow my advice.

17 gauge is a BIG needle (although I understand that is necessary for what you do).

In my job when I canulate people I normally use the pink or maybe the blue colour coded cannula which I believe is 20 and 22 gauge respectively...I don't really check the number though...especially nit in a resl emergency when thr pressure is on to act fast..that's why they're colour coded.

However, I sometimes have to use an 16 gauge cannula (grey) when trying to get fluids in extremely rapidly for a patient in hypovolemic shock or with a plummeting BP... Also when administering IV glucose when someone is having a severe hypo you have to use a very wide 16g cannula and also select a large vein..the reason being that concentrated IV glucose burns like a motherfucker and if you use a small cannula in a small vein it will be extremely painful for the patient..

Off topic a bit I know, but cannulating is quite an art form.. especially in patients with very poor veins..like the elderly or IV drug users. As a last ditch measure I also carry an IO (intraosseous) set with which to drill into the bone marrow and pump fluids directly into the marrow..Use a very wide guage cannula for that too. .the procedure itself is pretty painful but from what patients say, the worst part isnt the actual drill but the 10ml saline flush afterwards as it's the first fluids going in...

Always remember to take care if your veins folks...you never know when you may need them and the alternative of the big drill into your hip or shin bone is rather unpleasant

17 gauge is a BIG needle (although I understand that is necessary for what you do).

In my job when I canulate people I normally use the pink or maybe the blue colour coded cannula which I believe is 20 and 22 gauge respectively...I don't really check the number though...especially nit in a resl emergency when thr pressure is on to act fast..that's why they're colour coded.

However, I sometimes have to use an 16 gauge cannula (grey) when trying to get fluids in extremely rapidly for a patient in hypovolemic shock or with a plummeting BP... Also when administering IV glucose when someone is having a severe hypo you have to use a very wide 16g cannula and also select a large vein..the reason being that concentrated IV glucose burns like a motherfucker and if you use a small cannula in a small vein it will be extremely painful for the patient..

Off topic a bit I know, but cannulating is quite an art form.. especially in patients with very poor veins..like the elderly or IV drug users. As a last ditch measure I also carry an IO (intraosseous) set with which to drill into the bone marrow and pump fluids directly into the marrow..Use a very wide guage cannula for that too. .the procedure itself is pretty painful but from what patients say, the worst part isnt the actual drill but the 10ml saline flush afterwards as it's the first fluids going in...

Always remember to take care if your veins folks...you never know when you may need them and the alternative of the big drill into your hip or shin bone is rather unpleasant

Where i work all we have is the 17g orange. Every now and then when a donors SPE is too low, we will have them come back and give us a blood sample, and we use 22g for that. The only emergencies we get are the hypotensive\hypovolemic reactions and sodium citrate reactions, which are pretty brutal sometimes. But we are only allowed to administer saline. And of course not reinfuse the red cell/ citrate mixture thats left after plasma collection.