• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Interactions

skorpiogirl1975

Greenlighter
Hi everyone. I new to this site. I am trying to research and educate myself as much as I can on Kratom. It seems relatively harmless used alone, but the thing is, I'm on a few different prescribed meds and I'm trying to see if there are any interactions. I don't want to cause myself any harm. If anyone knows of any information to share or a place better to find the answer please let me know.

I am currently taking Prozac, Aderall, Lamictal, Bupropion, and Synthroid.

Thanks a bunch! :?

Hey, thanks so much. So should I go to that discussion to see if there are any replies? Or will I just get notified by my email if someone replies? If you find out any info for me please contact me :)

I would think you would be fine. Here's my experience with combinations. Haven't had much problems.

Be careful with booze. A single shot an hour after dosing can really make the kratom hit harder. I think the alcohol breaks down the kratom. Any more than that and you risk an uncomfortable hangover and GI distress.

With Vyvanse the effects are nice and I typically need less kratom so I think it would be the same with adderall.

Marijuana potentiates things quite a bit but dulls out some of the stim effects

With benzos I get really sleepy. Great for a nighttime kind of thing. Will probably do this tonight as I'm totally out of weed.

Thanks. I don't drink much anyways, however a couple of weekends ago I did Kratom while at a pig roast and I felt like I couldn't get drunk. I drank and drank but it was weird, I couldn't really tell if I even had a buzz. I enjoy the stimulant effect of the Kratom, bc I feel motivated to take on tasks around the house that I generally put off. So I don't want to do anything that puts me out. I was thinking if I was going to have a reaction would I of had it by now? Or is that not necessarily correct.

I had a very, VERY scary interaction between 5-HTP and kratom a few years ago, although I suspect the kratom was laced with 0-desmethyltramadol (which was common with "krypton kratom"). I took less than a teaspoon, got higher than I'd ever been and was sick for a month afterward. My symptoms matched those of serotonin syndrome almost exactly. I was only taking 50 mg of 5-HTP every other day, so IDK.

The kratom was from a questionable source, so there's no telling what was in it. As for pure kratom, I'd avoid combining it with tramadol or other opiates just to reduce the risk of SS or overdose.

^ Krypton Kratom have caused death in Sweden, Kratom extract and O-desmethyltramadol have been found in it but who knows what else was in it, thats the danger of using Brand chemicals or incense or what ever.

OP, You may experience more stimulation from Kratom because of the Bupropion and Dextroamphetamine (Adderall) mix but Kratom stimulation is very mild compare to them. You should avoid Alcohol with Kratom, its very unpleasant. Alcohol also doesnt mix well with SSRI like Fluoxetine (Prozac).

Thanks Lady I guess one can never know for sure. I get Kratom from kratomwellness, Idk if I would trust a private source

i dont see any problems there, kratom for all intensive purposes is just like most opioids as far as interactions, so you could have easily just searched and got this answer.

I get a lot of mixed answers on this. I'm on an ssri bupropion and a benzo for dep/anx. I also have chronic pain from spinal fusions. I want kratom to work for the pain, but I had a strange reaction the first and only time I used it. I was nervous about it so I took a 1mg Ativan before which I have quite a tolerance to so no big. I started with 1g powdered leaf red vein with the intention of working up to 3-5g total. I felt a little anxious for 20 min or so then a slight opiate feel for an hour. I decided to up the dose so I made another 1g tea. Half way through drinking it I began to get waves of nausea. I decided to call it quits and go to bed. I felt woozy and anxious for a day and a half later. I've yet to find anyone with a reasonable answer to this other than possible over elevated serotonin level. I didn't think Kratom had serotonin effects. I was under the impression it was more like Tramadol at high doses and more stimulating at low dose. I'm still not sure about the facts on interaction but I need something for pain. Doctors hear the word chronic and instantly think I'm an drug addict or something.

I was searching for a thread like this one so I wouldn't have to make a new one! I have a similar question: I'm on Zyprexa, Topamax, Neurontin, Tramadol (as needed) and Flexeril. Imitrex for migraines and Reglan for nausea from them. Does Kratom conflict with any of these?

I used kratom for a few months. I recently have realized which is the best vendor, and have about ten strains in my freezer. One day I took a couple teaspoons of Red Vein Maeng Da and I was feeling pretty high. As bedtime approached I felt as if my blood presure was high or something. I decided to take a bong hit of hash/weed and almost died. My heart has never raced so hard and fast. So after a week passed I decided to still use it but not so much and often as before. Never more than 1/4 teaspoon. Just putting a warning out there because that was NO FUN!!

I've never found a single drug that interacts badly with kratom, and being a long term kratom addict I've mixed it with alot of drugs ranging from empathogens to psychedelics to cannabis to benzos to opioids (tramadol included)... even with MAO inhibitors and drugs with MAOI activity and I've never run into any problems, though that latter combos are shady at best and are best avoided.

I wouldn't expect any of those drugs your on to be any different, but it always helps to be cautious. Kratom's NRA activity is bound to lower seizure threshold when combined with SNRI's and SSRI's but the chances of you having a seizure with therapeutic doses of the meds your on are slim to none.

Like lady codone says, I would approach a tramadol/kratom combo with caution, but to avoid altogether is not really necessary as long as the doses are reasonable. Many people combine the two with no issues and I mix the two all the time, in fact it's what I'm on right now :\. Just start with low doses of kratom and see how it goes, but your more or less gonna be risking side-effects like overstimulation, jitters, and other physical negatives rather than any dangerous or life threatening interactions.

Edit: Just realized this is an old thread... meh.

Last edited:
It's old, but relevant right? I never had any problems until I took too much Maeng Da and a bong rip. And 50 mg seroquel. I forgot to add that. My heart was beating so hard I had to crawl from dizziness and blurred vision. Just a shout out to beware of doing heaping scoops of kratom:)

Ughhhh that doesn't sound pleasant at all!!! Scary shit! I have decided to stay away from Kratom for now, I think it screwed up my stomach a few weeks ago. Might have been the strain, my brother gets it religiously every week from kratom wellness.org and never has any problem but they were out of what he usually gets so he got a different strain and he even said that it wasn't so good and was rough on the stomach.

I know this is old but I mixed standard white horn kratom that I take daily with prazosin (1mg) and lamotrigine (25mg) , hydroxyzine (25mg) and marijuana and had a very dysphoric experience. I take kratom with hydroxyzine and marijuana almost daily with no ill effects... However when I took my new meds for PTSD diagnosis tonight, I felt very sedated... But couldn't really fall asleep and when I finally did I had extremely vivid nightmares ... Much more intense than usual. I woke up dysphoric, breathing was markedly suppressed.. and I noticed my standard psychosis (caused by MDMA, benzo and meth abuse) was much more intense than usual (I experience mild psychosis at all times).

Not sure if the prazosin or the lamotrigine caused this reaction with kratom.. but be careful all.

Hello everyone... just registered on the site.. doing some research on Kratom and the pros and cons of it.. very interesting to say the least. I've just heard about this in the last 5 hours and have been looking everywhere for anything about mixing Kratom and any kind of heart med.. I am a cardiac patient and have had 4 heart attacks since 2010 and will most likely have one or two more .. I am on blood pressure meds , a beta blocker, blood thinner, and I am also on Norco for several issues with tendons and nerve damage in my arms. I've not found any info if Kratom does not mix well with any of the heart meds, I'm very interested in trying this as a fill in or whatever you want to call it when the very limited supply of Norco run out because of all the cut downs and cut offs that are happening now that Dr's have got us all strung out on opiates. I know this is an older thread but any info would be great.. thanx

I find kratom to be a very benign substance compared with just about anything but cannibis and benzos as far as interactions go. I prefer it to traditional analgesics like morphine and pethidine and even fentanyl derivatives.

I get all the beneficial analgesia with only pupillary constriction and occasional blurred vision when combining it with alprazolam. No nausea, no itching, and best if all no issues with constipation as long as I drink enough water and eat eat a fiber supplement each day I take it, starting the night before I go on occasional extended period due to the difficulty in obtaining painkillers legitimately because all the docs are so fucking paranoid these days.

I've had excellent results combining kratom with:
-allylescaline
-4-aco-dmt
-DPT
-Kratom has a special synergy with Tricho cacti
-A. Muscaria
-HBWR
-DXM
-glaucine HBr
-Any number of (mostly) mild botanicals
-Dagga, Blue lotus, Kanna, S. Nemororsa, H. Salicfolia, etc
-Many pharmaceuticals: traditional analgesics, amphetamines, benzos, zyprexa, bupropion, Mirtazapine, etc.

The only actual negative interaction was when smoking DMT freebase extracted from M. Hostilis and mixed with powdered B. Capii alkaloid extract and B. Capii leaf (I believe "changa" is the slang term for this type of preparation in modern vernacular) for easier smokability from a bong.

I had taken 12g of Bali leaf about 45 minutes prior and was definitely feeling it) and after a bowl of sour diesel then got the ingenious idea to take a few puffs of the changa as I was in a good headspace. I only got in one solid hit before the normally beautiful susseration that accompanies the onset of smoked DMT was instead a horrible ringing in my ears and sudden, severe nausea. The visuals were more akin to the "brain movies" of Shulgin fame of traumatic childhood memories, a pervasive sense of being poisoned and overheated for over an hour. No catharsis or insight was possible in this negative headspace. Thely positive result of this experience is I know NEVER to do it again. The experience was very similar to the description of 5-meo-DET in Tihkal with a longer duration.

Ima a bit inebriated to get into the details or druge up sources, but I hope somebody with more detailed knowledge can elaborate on this point:

Does kratom not have some mild serotonergic properties? I'm no pharmacologist, but I have feeling that could potentially interact with antidepressants.

I'd rather be wrong so OP can enjoy his Kratom, but just wanted to raise the issue.

Does kratom not have some mild serotonergic properties? I'm no pharmacologist, but I have feeling that could potentially interact with antidepressants.

I do not believe it does. I take mirtazapine and have no interactions. A friend of mine is on Prozac and he hasn't run into any problems either. We are both daily kratom users. This is just a guess, but if anything, I think kratom may lesser the efficacy of antidepressants. Kratom tends to come with a "rebound" depression, so to speak, just as other opioids do.

As far as adderall/amps with kratom, as was mentioned... I find they do not mix well together, at all. Increased anxiety being the #1 problem. Just my experience, though.