• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Interactions

I do not believe it does. I take mirtazapine and have no interactions. A friend of mine is on Prozac and he hasn't run into any problems either. We are both daily kratom users. This is just a guess, but if anything, I think kratom may lesser the efficacy of antidepressants. Kratom tends to come with a "rebound" depression, so to speak, just as other opioids do.

As far as adderall/amps with kratom, as was mentioned... I find they do not mix well together, at all. Increased anxiety being the #1 problem. Just my experience, though.

Good to know.

Here's some word of mouth I've read from other BLers over the years. Again, I have no expertise in chemistry or pharmacology, I only mean to pass this on in hopes somebody will refute or explain it further:

From one user in 2011: "Some alkaloids of kratom do affect certain monamines such as serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, etc. It's not so much a SSRI as a non-selective reversible MAOI similar to how specific kavalactone in kava is a non-selective reversible MAO-B I."

And, as a reply to the above comment in the same thread from another user:

"Kratom does have some monoaminergic amines but I don't think it has any MAO compounds (or SSRI)."

EDIT: My god, I didn't see the OP was in 2013. Sorry if I've contributed to reviving a dead thread.

The main issues that we encounter when trying to discern this information, is that, as we all know, Kratom and its active chemicals within are not regulated, scheduled medical products in most parts of the western world. So, the same issue we have had in the past with other drugs, lies in the fact that there is little testing/research done involving Kratom, due to the fact that it's not medically approved in the first place.

There's a lot of conjecture out there, but from what I can tell, the consensus is that Mitragynine et al does cause respiratory depression through activation of Opioid receptors, but that this respiratory depression seems to be less severe than Morphine when compared dose for dose. So, if we're going outside in on this deduction, we know that all the "Opioid Rules" apply, in that, use of other sedatives in conjunction with Kratom carries with it risk of death through respiratory depression.

Moving forward, if we're treating Kratom (Mitragynine) as a traditional Opioid, which for all intents and purposes it appears to be, there should not be any catastrophic interaction between it and the other drugs that you have listed. You need to take this recommendation with a severe grain of salt though for the reasons I mentioned when starting my post. A lot of this information is conjecture and can't be relied upon if your life is in question.

What I can say without feeling guilty, is that if it were me, I wouldn't be worried about taking Kratom with any of these drugs based upon the research I've done. That's the best I, personally can do.

^I've never tried mitragynine as an isolate. There are a lot more alkaloids alone in kratom than 7-ho-mitragynine and mitragynine, but people treat kratom like there are two, and only two, psychoactive compounds found in it. I learned the hard way said compounds don't play nicely with beta-carbolines. At least noone else needs to put themselves through that particular hell...