• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Is too much NaOH in GHB bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coryneil948

Bluelighter
Hi,
I know a casual user of GHB (by that I mean once or twice a month for recreational purposes), but I hope someone on this forum can help. I feel pretty confident that the GBL used in his synthesis was diluted. Evidence for this is the extremly high pH and the dosage one must take to get the same "published" effects (about 4 times as much with his batch). This off course means that if one used the correct ratio of GBL to NaOH, but didn't know the GBL was diluted, then their would be way to much NaOH in the mix.
My question is this, even though you have to take about 4 caps to get the same "published" effects of 1 cap, I have noticed no other real problems except a pH level that is off the charts (cheap pH paper). It is definately greater than 10, maybe even 14. The last batch was mixed with orange juice to be safe (acidic, which corrects high pH). A previous batch a ton of vinegar was added. But, I heard as long as there is no burning sensation, then you should be fine with a high pH. My real question is the NaOH. Since the ratio is off, does this mean not all of it reacted into GHB and you are taking it directly? And if so, what could be the health risks.
Thanks

if there is NaOH leftover, then he obviously added too much. i'm no doctor, but i'd say drinking NaOH is bad for your health. if you actually have ghb, you should try drying it and work with the pure salt, then you could add it to water and make your doses as potent as you wish.

Thanks,
I feel there is too much NaOH, just based on the high pH and larger dose needed, but that wasn't what was planned.
By the way, the GBL and NaOH was supposed to be high quality stuff, not some junk off the street.
Does anyone else have any expeience with too much NaOH? My friend is thinking about dumping it because of the unknown health risks, but he would hate to do that since the stuff is hard to come by.

Yes, too much NaOH is bad. Remember NaOH is a strong base, often used as drain cleaner. Ingestion of NaOH can cause SEVERE burns and even death. It essentially acts the very same way on your interiors as it would on the crap it eats away at in your drains. The severity of injuries would depend on the concentration of the NaOH.
If you're unsure of it then I would just dump it...I know my health is worth more than that.

umm tathra i don't know what chemistry class you took, but if you have excess naoh in the solution and dry it out.. it will STILL be there when you add water later on.
and if something has a pH of 14, it WILL burn you!
the best thing to do would be to find the correct pH of GHB (.. just did a quick search, one synth says you should aim for 7.5), and matching the pH to that.. mixing it with orange juice was a good idea.. obviously you don't risk bringing it TOO low.
after getting it to the correct pH, you can try evaporating it then, and making it more potent.

Hmm,
So if I was to add something like a lot of vinegar to get the pH respectable, how would you go about evaporating it? And if so, wouldn't the same amount of NaOH still be there?

well see, when you have an acid, it has a bunch of H+ (technically H3O+) ions.. when you have a base you have a lot of OH- ions.. when you add them together, the H+ and the OH- form water, h2o.. so the Na- is still left over but the hydroxide ions have been formed into water.. and the OH- are what are bad for you, heh.
man, i would imagine GHB added with vinegar would just produce the most disgusting tasting shit ever!
edit> note, it's not to say that too low of a pH and too many H+ ions won't hurt you either!
[ 06 September 2002: Message edited by: dpp ]

to answer your initial question:
if there is any NaOH left over this is because there was not enough GBL (ie GBL was the limiting reagent)
health risks: swallowed NaOH could be fatal...check out the MSDS at Sodium Hydroxide MSDS
but than again, MSDSs tend to overstate the risks...
since you're not taking too much...it would probably just hurt alot if it was anything too bad
and if it isn't burning on the way down you *should* be just fine :D just to be safe tho if you follow it up with a bit of water

Thanks for the info guys. It was mixed with orange juice and did not hurt going down. So that's good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.