• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Which Disease/Condition Is The Hardest To Live With?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm worried that I gave myself Crohn's in a roundabout way because I was taking antibiotics for acne for a long time. My dermatologist gave them out like candy now I have these symptoms.

Living with obsessive regret. Waking up with panic every morning. Feel like I created my condition for vanity's sake. What a sad way to end up. My girlfriend tells me to snap out of it. She is there for me, but who knows for how long.

Thanks to all you ppl here. You're great.

jack v, I wish you well. Try not to worry too much. Just be as positive as you can and ask for help when needed. Take as much care as you can for now.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm worried that I gave myself Crohn's in a roundabout way because I was taking antibiotics for acne for a long time. My dermatologist gave them out like candy now I have these symptoms.

Living with obsessive regret. Waking up with panic every morning. Feel like I created my condition for vanity's sake. What a sad way to end up. My girlfriend tells me to snap out of it. She is there for me, but who knows for how long.

Thanks to all you ppl here. You're great.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Wobblier, on your good days I imagine you're fine and dandy, but too often here you're arrogant and patronizing. You project negativity and revel in throwing your toys out of the pram. Of course I think you and anyone in need should be able to get medications to live with dignity irrespective of how much money you have in the bank. Global problems require global solutions and the world has a moral duty to provide them basically.

What is shocking is how many people are dependent on drugs to survive without a cure and the number growing by thousands daily. HIV is profitable for drug companies like crime is to the prison industry. The competition between drug companies is in making more drugs which do the same thing, namely keep you alive but with fewer side-effects, but the prices remain high for the best drugs.

I got the figure of 7000 new infections a day from an earlier post in this thread; at over thirty million, the population of HIV-positive people is large and growing. A cure would be an amazing thing. The drug companies are basically printing money for themselves indefinitely because for them, whilst patients can be managed as you are, happy as Larry, there is no urgent need for a cure.

It's great to have a positive attitude towards life, generally, but doing it in this particular way....mmmm.

Thanks. How then? I'm open to suggestions? Thanks :)

Read this: http://www.healthtalkonline.org/Intensive_care/HIV/Topic/1369/

Keep reading, because the more you know, the better you'll be equipped to deal with things.

I'm quite well informed (always room for improvement though) Read this:http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/6...nd-Information

OP I don't know what country you are in but if you ever feel suicidal maybe these can help: http://www.samaritans.org/

Thanks. How then? I'm open to suggestions? Thanks :)

Heyo :) I just find that one must first accept the negatives of any given thing, in order to deal with it in a truly effective manner. Always try to be aware of and willing to address any blindspots you may have, as you simply cannot deal with something without first acknowledging that a problem does in fact exist.

^ Thank you, sound advice from a obvious great chap. I would agree with this...

...Then, after all the many tears there must come a smile :)

Jack, when was your colonoscopy/endoscopy done? I was pretty sure I must have Crohn's as well. I had the tests run first time around 1999-2000. The symptoms came and went. It started to get really bad again in 2008 and the GI doctor didn't want to do the tests again, as if it was wasting his time. But with the frequent diarrhea, painful cramps, bloating plus constantly burping up bitter liquid I was persistent and they did the tests again. (sorry I feel gross typing this out) So this doctor could only come up with irritable bowel syndrome along with GERD.

He gave me various medications to combat both ailments. Trouble is, the medicine for acid-reflux made the IBS worse especially when he had me taking it twice a day. I was always sick and this GI doctor was losing his patience with me. Finally he just said, "We're running out of options here" and made me feel like an idiot. So I know how you feel when people don't take you seriously and you're always feeling unwell. You've got the right idea by stopping alcohol usage and if you smoke, quit because that can irritate your already sensitive intestinal tract too.

So what ended up happening with me is I was talking with a nurse practitioner at the shelter two years later. I gave him all the gory details and he explained that many times the two diseases go hand in hand. He advised me also that omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole, etc. are going to make diarrhea worse. Also when these drugs are overused, the more you find yourself needing them which makes sense. How come my doctor never told me this? (Just prescribed more pills like lomotil) It's not that these doctors are stupid but I feel some just don't care that much.

To sum it up, I believe the antibiotics you took definitely affected you badly. They are known to wreak havoc, especially with long-term use on your gastrointestinal tract. But you didn't give yourself Crohn's, it doesn't happen that way. It's an auto-immune disease and your doctor already ruled that out from all the tests. You didn't say how long it's been since you stopped taking those pills? You have to watch what you eat & drink. I really think you will be alright. It's easy to say stop worrying, but stress will make it worse. Give your body a chance to recover. It may take some time so be patient and take care of yourself! <3

Jack, when was your colonoscopy/endoscopy done? I was pretty sure I must have Crohn's as well. I had the tests run first time around 1999-2000. The symptoms came and went. It started to get really bad again in 2008 and the GI doctor didn't want to do the tests again, as if it was wasting his time. But with the frequent diarrhea, painful cramps, bloating plus constantly burping up bitter liquid I was persistent and they did the tests again. (sorry I feel gross typing this out) So this doctor could only come up with irritable bowel syndrome along with GERD.

He gave me various medications to combat both ailments. Trouble is, the medicine for acid-reflux made the IBS worse especially when he had me taking it twice a day. I was always sick and this GI doctor was losing his patience with me. Finally he just said, "We're running out of options here" and made me feel like an idiot. So I know how you feel when people don't take you seriously and you're always feeling unwell. You've got the right idea by stopping alcohol usage and if you smoke, quit because that can irritate your already sensitive intestinal tract too.

So what ended up happening with me is I was talking with a nurse practitioner at the shelter two years later. I gave him all the gory details and he explained that many times the two diseases go hand in hand. He advised me also that omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole, etc. are going to make diarrhea worse. Also when these drugs are overused, the more you find yourself needing them which makes sense. How come my doctor never told me this? (Just prescribed more pills like lomotil) It's not that these doctors are stupid but I feel some just don't care that much.

To sum it up, I believe the antibiotics you took definitely affected you badly. They are known to wreak havoc, especially with long-term use on your gastrointestinal tract. But you didn't give yourself Crohn's, it doesn't happen that way. It's an auto-immune disease and your doctor already ruled that out from all the tests. You didn't say how long it's been since you stopped taking those pills? You have to watch what you eat & drink. I really think you will be alright. It's easy to say stop worrying, but stress will make it worse. Give your body a chance to recover. It may take some time so be patient and take care of yourself! <3

Thanks for the reply! I had a colonoscopy 2 months ago and it came back clear.

I am having other symptoms now though like fatigue, nausea and joint pain that make me think I have Chron's. I really hate the doctor who prescribed me the antibiotics. But what can you do now. It is what it is at this point. I haven't taken any antibiotics for 5 months but still have problems.

Thanks for your story. It gives me hope for sure!

Thanks for the reply! I had a colonoscopy 2 months ago and it came back clear.

I am having other symptoms now though like fatigue, nausea and joint pain that make me think I have Chron's. I really hate the doctor who prescribed me the antibiotics. But what can you do now. It is what it is at this point. I haven't taken any antibiotics for 5 months but still have problems.

Thanks for your story. It gives me hope for sure!
Taking antibiotics for five months has damaged your immune system a bit. I recommend you eat live yogurt to boost levels of good bacteria destroyed by the antibiotics and look into using herb supplements like golden seal or oregon grape for their immunity boosting effects, also licorice tea, lemon balm tea, echinacea and ginger. Ginseng is an adaptogen type of herb which stimulates the immune system, increases resistance to stress and reduces fatigue so that might be worth trying too. Cutting back on sugar, red meat and possibly wheat and milk too may help, and eat plenty of vegetables and whole foods generally.

Heyo :) I just find that one must first accept the negatives of any given thing, in order to deal with it in a truly effective manner. Always try to be aware of and willing to address any blindspots you may have, as you simply cannot deal with something without first acknowledging that a problem does in fact exist.

Absolutely!
I agree that this is very good advice!

^Indeed. Finally we agree on something. :)

So OP you're going have to get a definite diagnosis before you can then deal with this in a positive manner.

Good luck.

I have set up a HIV Megathread (with the help of some great mods), in hope to help spark conversation and share information. It has a lot of links on there with regards to looking at the bigger picture regarding HIV in 2013.

Missmeyet? (I mean this in all respect and kindness)Thinking of your HIV patients, maybe you can show them this or some links from it to give more of a holistic view instead of just looking at death statistics which you perversely seem to enjoy (which is fine but remember not everyone is the same).

Information is key

Also please don't misconstrue this like you did before as passive aggressive, it's not. If it helps at least one person then it has been worth it.

Good luck - keep safe

:)
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/690158-The-HIV-Megathread

Last edited:
Of course we don't only focus on the negative aspects of health and disease only, quite the opposite. The only reason this was the topic of what I originally posted was to correct information that you had originally posted so that others would not be misinformed (when you originally posted that NOBODY ever develops AIDS from HIV anymore with modern meds and that therfore no one dies from AIDS). That was the only reason .. But I think that conversation is played out and done. I'm done anyways. Good luck to you.

^Nobody 'needs' to die of HIV.

Please don't get riled. I corrected my mistake, a long time ago (sorry I am not perfect in my typing like you) please read past posts and also educate your self on the HIV MEGATHREAD I have created, you will find all the information you need on there.

I think this thread has been hijacked enough. Good luck OP.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/690158-The-HIV-Megathread

I agree...and yes, you did change many of your posts. I was only saying this because you continue to attempt to take little digs at me and my proffessionalism.

A) Stage 2 Colon Cancer
B) HIV
C) Multiple Sclerosis
D) Crohn's Disease
E) Schizophrenia

As someone who has had severe stimulant psychosis, I would say schizophrenia would be the easiest to live with so long as it responds to antipsychotics. I could stay on lurasidone+oxcarbazepine my entire life and barely notice. On the other hand, stage 2 colon cancer in and of itself IS a picnic. It is when it advances that things get nasty. The hardest I'd say would be MS, then Crohn's.

Thank you for sharing this article wobblier. I have never lost hoPe in stem cell research and therapy. Hopefully in a few more years we get to have this treatments more available not only for Crohn's but for other diseases as well.

Last edited: