• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Amphetamine-Induced Narcissism

I know when you're high you don't necessarily realize it, but try to imagine how you come off to a sober person. Your "dimwitted customers?" Maybe not as dimwitted as you think. I'm sure most people pick up on your poor customer service skills. They likely choose to ignore it, attributing it to the fact that you're (presumably) young, working in a dead end job, ignorantly unaware of how to deal with actual human beings. Thinking you're the smartest guy in the room is painfully unattractive. A little humility and empathy goes a long way.

While this may come off as harsh to the OP, I have to agree. I work in the restaurant business and we place a huge emphasis on customer service. While the owner of the chain may sign the paychecks it's really our customers' money that keeps me getting paid. You could almost say we work for the customers. Customer service jobs are by no means easy... they require endless patience, being able to always keep your cool, a sincere smile and greeting regardless of whether the courtesy is returned, and really just being able to take the constant shit being throw at you on a daily basis. I'm a manager so I don't interact with customers to the extent I did as a cashier but when ever there's a problem I get called. Working in the food industry you come across a wide range of people... and unfortunately you see a lot of patterns and the same sort of people. There seems to be this common misconception that you don't need to be courteous to your cashier, you're there to take their order and their abuse because they're unhappy with their life and want to take it out on someone. And we deal with people that aren't the smartest cookies. tpp.. Sometimes it can be frustrating repeating the same stuff over and over. For example... "Do you mind not sitting on the table since people eat off of them? Thank you." And "Do you mind waiting in the food pick up area for your order so I can take the next customer's order?" and "I need a fork/straw/napkins/etc" when it's right in front of them on the counter. That's the typical oblivious everyday person but because we're downtown we get a ton of foot traffic from homeless people and junkies. "Hey, you can't go through our trash it's public property." and "Excuse me the bathroom is for customers only no you can NOT have sex in her for money, lady." and "EXCUSE ME SIR, you need to put the meth pipe away immediately!" and "Excuse me, only paying customers can be on the property... you can't just loiter here and sleep on the table all day." I could go on forever... I was assaulted my first week on the job, a customer threw everything on our counter at me (a lot of which were heavy metal containers for holding condiments) because I wouldn't refund food that he'd already eaten all, therefore there was nothing to refund. But no matter how frustrating it gets or how rude they are you have to still be polite.

Anyway, got sidetracked there. Point is, maybe you aren't cut out for a customer service job OP. When hiring, I look for employees that are going to make customers want to return. Customer service can make or break a business. If one customer has a bad experience and tells 10 people and they all tell 10 people... suddenly it's looking a lot more serious. If you were my employee and I witnessed that kind of "customer service" from you let's just say I would have your final check and termination papers ready for you by your next shift. Employees represent the brand and one employee can negatively impact the reputation of a business. Not to mention being able to take constructive criticism and coaching is the difference between a productive, valued employee and a disposable part time employee. But hey, if you adjust your dose and it ends up adjusting your attitude at work too then stick it out... People skills are such an important tool and can be utilized in all aspects of our lives, from careers to relationships. I think everyone should have to work at least one customer service job in their lifetime.

ETA: Sorry, being able to be concise and not ramble is the first to go when I'm tired

I agree with above poster. I didn't mean to get preachy or be harsh, I'm also a restaurant manager. I've seen a lot of kids come through acting like they are entitled to a job. Like our customers are stupid and don't deserve our respect. That's not how it is. Our customers pay our bills. From minimum wage dish washers up to the CEO. If you don't like serving people., get a different job.