• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

is your entire career pointless? are you working in a bullshit job?

A friend of mine once said, all jobs are bullshit because you have to do something to make a living. It's a flawed theory, like most are. But I like it anyway.

i like what i do now, but i've hit its roof. here's hoping for an imminent career change. *fingers crossed*

pending two medicals starting with a piss test tomorrow, and police check, soon i should be starting my career as an air traffic controller. the 11-14 months of study alone (paid) will be like a very long holiday.

I am grateful to enjoy what I do for a living for the past 15+ years. It is a career. It is not pointless or bullshit in the least. I got very lucky to get into the MSc in visual science program and did not plan it. I knew from a very early age that education was important to avoid working in a factory. For 7 summers (50+ hours/week) that is exactly what I did to help pay for my education. My parents don't have a high school education.

welcome back, lady! =D

My job is Bullshit. A bullshit company that treats their employees like shit and who are known to put other companies out of business. Not gonna say where but there is even a documentry about the place..if it wasn't for some of my co-workers I would be completly misrebale there. Trying to save moeny and get back in school to at least feel like I'm doing something..

LOL

jeez i hope i'm better at it than the flight control app on my phone. i've killed soooooo many people.

Its all about taxes and generating more. More jobs = more people paying taxes = why there are bullshit jobs

My job is Bullshit. A bullshit company that treats their employees like shit and who are known to put other companies out of business. Not gonna say where but there is even a documentary about the place..if it wasn't for some of my co-workers I would be completely miserable there. Trying to save money and get back in school to at least feel like I'm doing something..

One of the biggest mistakes any employer makes is treating their employees like crap. The employees and the quality of job they do makes a huge difference in the companies profits and their productivity. People that dont like their job for that reason alone do not produce, they do the bare minimum required to get through the day and wont stick at that job very long. People that are happy, like their job and who they work for will do a much better job, be more productive, stay at that job longer. Depending on the size of the company they can change their profits by thousands if not 100s of thousands of dollars by doing something that is FREE! Which is treat your employees better and like they are valued.

You show me a company with employees that dont like who they work for, dont like how they treat them dont get paid enough and I'll so you a company that can greatly increase profits and productivity.

Attitude starts at the top

I am one of those unfortunate people that can't stand what they do for a living. I am the assistant kitchen manager of an up and coming cafe that has plans for further expansion in the near future. In it lies opportunity no doubt, and in one year I am already making a considerable amount more then what I was making then.

Funny thing is I can't stand cooking anymore. When I think about how I originally decided to attend college in pursuit of a culinary arts degree I just can not believe it. At the time I needed a purpose as I had no clue what I wanted to do as a career choice. If I could get by and not work that is what I would choose to do. I work a lot and this leaves me with very little time for family and personal growth in other areas of my life. There is no work life balance here. It's like I live at work and visit home from time to time. I am paid well and the cafe is walking distance from my house, so it is hard to walk away from, especially having zero experience or passion in any other fields.