• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction List of harm reduction organizations or groups.

The Works Program
http://www.bouldercounty.org/family/disease/pages/syringeexchange.aspx

Exchange Locations
Boulder

Boulder County AIDS Project (BCAP)
2118 14th Street - 303-444-6121
Monday - Friday 2pm-5pm

Boulder County Public Health
3482 Broadway - 303-413-7500
Monday - Friday 8am-4:30pm

Addiction Recovery Center
3180 Airport Road - 303-441-1281
24 hours, every day

Longmont
Boulder County Public Health
529 Coffman, Suite 200 - 303-678-6166
Monday - Friday 8am-4:30pm

Syringe Access Services
Works Program staff and volunteer peer educators provide outreach, education, and syringe exchange services to reduce HIV and viral hepatitis transmission among drug users who inject and their partners.

The Works Program is a safe, legal, non-judgmental place to get free injection supplies confidentially.

Safer Injection Supplies

The Works Program provides harm reduction supplies to keep people safe. The intention is that a person will access enough supplies so that every shot is with a clean needle for themselves and for their network of peers.

-Narcan prescriptions and training (only $4 copay with medicaid:))
-Sharps containers
-ID card to protect from paraphernalia charges
-Safer sex supplies
-Syringes
-Cookers
-Waters
-Cottons
-Alcohol wipes
-Antibacterial ointment
-Bandages
-Ties
-Literature and advice about safer injection practices
-Education Services

Works Program staff provide harm reduction education about safer practices including:
-Wound care and vein health
-HIV and Hepatitis C testing and harm reduction counseling
-Vaccinations for influenza, hepatitis A and B, and Tdap
-Referral to addiction recovery services
-Overdose Prevention
-Overdose Reversal Training

Boulder County Needle Exchange

Clergy for a New Drug Policy

http://newdrugpolicy.org/
CONTACT

RELIGIOUS DECLARATION FOR NEW DRUG POLICY

As voices of faith, we call for an end to the War on Drugs which the United States has waged, at home and abroad, for over 40 years. This War has failed to achieve its stated objectives; deepened divisions between rich and poor, black, white, and brown; squandered over one trillion dollars; and turned our country into a “prisoner” nation.

BACKGROUND AND PERSPECTIVE
Over 2.3 million people are now incarcerated in the US, more than any other nation on the planet, including Russia, South Africa, and China.

The U.S. to an alarming degree manifests, as theologian Richard Snyder reminds us, a “culture of punishment.”

The U.S. to an alarming degree manifests as a “culture of punishment.”
Theologian Richard Snyder

Weapons of punishment include a federal budget of over $215 billion for prisons, police and courts; mandatory minimum sentencing; seizures of property by law enforcement without due process; indiscriminate, and highly discriminatory, police sweeps as attempts to tamp down entire neighborhoods; and the privatizing of prisons. The ideology of this War is now embedded in our institutions of law enforcement and abetted politicians who fear being labeled soft on crime.

The War on Drugs when it was conceived in 1971 sought to conflate race and crime in the public mind for political purposes. This has worked. Even though drug use is roughly equivalent across ethnic groups, the vast proportion of those in jail are people of color. In 2006, one in every 15 black men was behind bars and one in every 34 Latino men, compared to one in 104 white men. As a result, young black men in most states are more likely to go to prison than college.

FAITH CONCERNS
A spirit of punishment has been embedded in the national psyche since the earliest days of our nation. This theology of punishment is wrong and must be reversed.

Law serves many important functions. It keeps us from harming each other. But punishment in the hands of the criminal justice system to instruct personal morality results in arrests that brand people for life, even for minor possible offenses. It separates us from each other, and marginalizes individuals, most often people of color.

As clergy who oppose institutional racism, we have more than ample reason to seek alternatives to this Drug War on grounds of injustice. But our faith should take us even deeper. It should cause us to reject its very premise, based on our religious principles of compassion, healing, forgiveness, reconciliation, and love.

United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime

https://www.unodc.org/

Contact

In all our work, which is based on the international drug conventions, the human rights of people, especially the vulnerable and their communities, must come first.

10 February 2016 – Illicit drugs promote violence, impede sustainable development, endanger communities and undermine people's health, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned today, calling on the global community to weigh every option available to confront the issue.

“This global challenge is interconnected with corruption, terrorism and illicit flows of money,” Mr. Ban told UN official and delegates at a meeting ahead of a UN General Assembly special session (UNGASS) on the world drug problem in April.

~UN Secretary-General Ban Ki- moon
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=53201#.VsQYclUVikq

As an initial step to facilitate that broader consultation with UN entities, international and regional organizations and non-governmental organizations, this website www.ungass2016.org has been created, which is meant to enable global dialogue in an inclusive and transparent manner and to function as a resource tool for the Commission in its preparations for the 2016 Special Session. All relevant UN entities, international and regional organizations as well as all NGOs which regularly attend the Commission have been invited to contribute.

In its resolutions resolutions 69/200 and 69/201 the GA asked the CND to lead the preparatory process by addressing all organizational and substantive matters in an open-ended manner. Resolution 69/200 further requests that the special session on the world drug problem in 2016 shall have an inclusive preparatory process that includes extensive substantive consultations, allowing organs, entities and specialized agencies of the United Nations system, relevant international and regional organizations, civil society and other relevant stakeholders to fully contribute to the process, in accordance with the relevant rules of procedure and established practices.

The formal process is enriched by a series of informal activities with the aim of creating an environment for exchange to benefit from the extensive expertise the different stakeholders (member states, UN entities, IGOs, IOs, civil society including NGOs, academia and the scientific community) can bring to the table. The preparations are supported by a number of tools to facilitate an effective, transparent and inclusive process. The initiatives and meetings are documented on this website.

In preparation for the special session, the 58th Session of the CND in March 2015 adopted resolution 58/8, entitled "Special Session of the General Assembly on the World Drug Problem to be held in 2016", making recommendations on organizational and substantive matters regarding the session for adoption by the General Assembly: e.g. the special Session to be held from 19-21 April 2016 or the session to consist of a general debate and five interactive, multi-stakeholder round tables. In December 2015 the General Assembly adopted the recommendations on the modalities for the UNGASS made by the CND in its resolution 70/181.
UNGASS2016

Last edited:
STOP THE HARM
https://stoptheharm.org/

OUR ALLIES
GET INVOLVED

Stop the Harm is a diverse, broad, and powerful movement of NGOs from around the world who have united around one common purpose: rectifying the catastrophic failures of the current global drug policy regime through campaigning for a new course firmly grounded in health, compassion, and human rights.

The global drug policy system is well and truly broken. Despite aiming to ‘protect’ people from drugs, its punitive approach has instead increased the harms of these substances, punishing and demonizing the people and communities most impacted by them. This punishment has disproportionately impacted people and communities of color, indigenous peoples, and the economically marginalized, while stoking public health crises by restricting access to essential medicines and exacerbating the spread of HIV, hepatitis C, and other blood borne viruses.

This brutality, cruelty, and inhumanity must be halted now. We cannot wait another day while these abuses are carried out with impunity. The Stop the Harm movement has arrived at a critical juncture for global drug policy. From April 19-21, 2016, a United Nations General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) dedicated to reviewing progress on ending “the World Drug Problem” is being held in New York. At the last UNGASS on Drugs, held in 1998, global leaders pledged to secure “a drug-free world”— a goal that is not only unrealistic but has given rise to four decades of a global drug prohibition that has been deemed nothing less than a disaster, wasting trillions of US dollars and inflicting untold human suffering along the way.

The 2016 drugs UNGASS debate presents a vital opportunity to highlight the failures of current international drugs framework, give voice to those suffering from it, and shift the drug policy conversation. Through the Stop the Harm campaign, we demand that the United Nations and its member states acknowledge the damage wrought by the current drug control regime and to live up to their professed values by formally incorporating human rights, public health, sustainable development, and harm reduction principles firmly into drug policy across the globe.

While the 2016 UNGASS has the potential to be a ground-breaking moment in shifting the debate, it is just the beginning of the battle for reform. Stop the Harm will continue to highlight local events, actions, and campaigns from across the globe that will be instrumental in ensuring we implement a more humane approach to controlling drugs. To find out how you can get involved, visit (link to relevant section e.g. Take Action, Campaigns or Events sections of the website).

The Grand Rapids Red Project
Grand Rapids, MI

http://www.redproject.org

We are a full service harm reduction network. We offer instant on site HIV and Hep C testing. We run a syringe access program called Clean Works, which has two fixed sites, as well as a mobile unit that offers all of our services at different locations around Grand Rapids. We offer overdose prevention and response training and distribute Naloxone to anyone wishing to receive it. We also go into local and regional SUD facilities to train their clients and equip them with narcan. Our employees and many of our volunteers are knowledgable, compassionate advocates for drug users, drug policy reform and marginalized individuals.

As an organization we are active in advocating for reform, according the the principals of harm reduction, in our state and community. We have trained LEO in overdose response. We are doing what we can to expand this sort of programing throughout the rest of our state.

As an individual working with Red Project I have also helped to get Naloxone to the streets of New Orleans through friends I have in the harm reduction community there.

HELP NOT HANDCUFFS

http://www.helpnothandcuffs.org/

Our Mission
Help not Handcuffs is a Campaign to decriminalize people who use substances, because criminalizing substances only criminalizes people. In doing so we advocate for a robust recovery support system across all of life's domains to help those who want help, without arrest or coercion. In addition, because everyone who uses substances cannot achieve, or do not need recovery, we advocate for harm reduction policies, and where shown to be factually beneficial, regulation or legalization of drug markets.​​​​

Texas Overdose Naloxone Initiative

Texas Overdose Naloxone Initiative

Laws have recently changed in texas and is now more friendly to using naloxone to prevent overdoses.

Please see the law: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/html/SB01462I.htm

This has opened up the Texas Overdose Naloxone Initiative to be more legal.
http://www.texasoverdosenaloxoneinitiative.com/

We give away free naloxone to those that use and the loved ones in their lives. We also explain how to use the naloxone and explain rescue breathing techniques. Just contact one of the contacts on the page if you need this and are located in the austin of lubbock area.

You can also PM me with questions.

Thank you

Magnolia New Beginnings
http://www.magnolianewbeginnings.org/index.html

Magnolia New Beginnings, Inc.
PO Box 1359
Marblehead, MA 01945
Call: 855-95-RECOVER (855-957-3268)
Email: [email protected]

Magnolia New Beginnings, Inc. is dedicated to advocating for those affected with the disease of addiction, creating educational opportunities to inform and raise awareness about substance abuse, and supporting addicts and their families in the process of seeking recovery, maintaining sobriety, and reaching their highest potential through a new beginning.

Magnolia New Beginnings was born out of necessity. As the opioid crisis, and addiction in general, continues to take its toll on our friends and families we at Magnolia banded together to pass on information that we gathered in the process of helping our own. Our goal is that no one should suffer alone or be unable to find help in whatever form it is needed.

The tide is turning and the stigma is slowly being lifted. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy spoke on October 4, 2015 at the Unite to Face Addiction Rally in Washington DC. He stated, “We’re going to stop treating addiction as a moral failing, and start seeing it for what it is: a chronic disease that must be treated with urgency and compassion …” So you all have my word: that as long as I am in this office; as long as I am wearing this uniform – I will stand with you. I will stand up for recovery. And we will face addiction together. "

Records gathered from police, courts and the medical examiner shatter stereotypes about who gets sucked into this deadly vortex. It's not all young adults. They are homemakers, professionals, students and laborers. With every new set of statistics we see the problem expanding deeper into our communities and killing people at unprecedented rates. Every passing leaves a devastated family. Magnolia attempts to support the families left behind with groups for grieving families.

What Do We Do?
Education and Advocacy: In an effort to advocate for addicts and their families as well as educate the local community on the dangers of substance abuse, particularly opioids, and create an awareness of the disease of addiction we speak at and attend various local community events and disseminate information relative to addiction awareness and where assistance for the addicts and their families is available both in person and online. We are a source of information on prevention, resources for treatment options, and support for the addict and their families during the process of finding the appropriate care. We do this by creating and maintaining information on available resources.

Supporting addicts and their families in recovery: Many addicts have exhausted their family’s financial and emotional resources. They often enter treatment with only the clothes on their back. Families are steered toward support groups that can help them support instead of enable their family member. Recovering addicts in treatment are given access to transportation to treatment facilities, sent care packages consisting of a variety of necessary and supportive materials such as clothing, hygiene supplies, cards and games, books and other materials. Families are given access to an online network of support of parents in similar situations across the country. Grief support groups, both online and with monthly meetings, are listed and assistance in creating a support group is available.

Harm Reduction Coalition

Facebook
Someone might want to inform this group that tapering is part of harm reduction? I tried, for about 3 or 4 posts and it was a struggle. lol.
===
All the rest of the thread: good to see this taking root and so many groups! Is there a website (lol, beside here, lol) where all these groups are listed? Perhaps by location to have a one-stop-shopping type thing? great information everyone. Wooo

Someone might want to inform this group that tapering is part of harm reduction? I tried, for about 3 or 4 posts and it was a struggle. lol.
===
All the rest of the thread: good to see this taking root and so many groups! Is there a website (lol, beside here, lol) where all these groups are listed? Perhaps by location to have a one-stop-shopping type thing? great information everyone. Wooo

Idk, That is certainly the goal here!!

I would continue to promote the concepts you know that lead to harm reduction and thus a better planet<3. This is earth and our amazing blue ball has a very difficult time agreeing on just about anything. My take is promote all the good you know and resist spending precious energy disagreeing with allies over details. Spread the wisdom you have and the good and wise people will have access to solid information to make their own informed decisions

load some more up. Engage!!

Last edited:
I would continue to promote the concepts you know that lead to harm reduction and thus a better planet<3. This is earth and our amazing blue ball has a very difficult time agreeing on just about anything. My take is promote all the good you know and resist spending precious energy disagreeing with allies over details. Spread the wisdom you have and the good and wise people will have access to solid information to make their own informed decisions
I try but to be honest it's suuper anxiety producing for me to have these conversations (specifically) with people who work at treatment facilities and etc, because of the abuse I've suffered at "their" hands.
Perhaps my outbursts (lol) cause some ripple ..or something...but my worldview is (still) really sort of dark and the only way I have even the semblance of sobriety (no illegal drugs, no alcohol, monitoring and limiting usage and trying to avoid 'binges' and uncontrolled use) is by avoiding groups altogether!

I dunno. There's so many different types of addicts, imo, and methods to "getting sober" (whatever that means) or as sober as possible, not sure if I'm just in a "1%" position where my tapering and etc advice might actually cause harm to some? (For instance, they didn't seem to keen on it at the various SMART Recovery groups I attended in Portland, OR?)

At any rate, this new development ("harm reduction") seems to have offered some hard cases a new method to live healthier lives without "high-threshold treatment"(*)!

load some more up. Engage!!
lol, that could be taken a few ways! ;) jk! jjjkkkk! i honestly don't know of any other groups.

what's worked for me personally is staying away from in-person groups of addicts (with questionable advice, various levels of deceitfulness and pathology, and more than a few 'leaders' or mentors or 'old timers' I have met, dispensing advice, then months or years later learned that they were on physician prescribed meds! lol! So, yeah, probably a bit easier to be 'sober' with those drugs coursing through your system?)

"Taper - replace(**)-taper", "taper-plateau-taper", and DBT skills.

Thanks for your kind post though. Have a good rest of your day/night and see you around perhaps! <3

(*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-threshold_treatment_programs
(**) with healthier, less 'more-ish' substance. ideally one that hits the same receptor sites.

@TheLoveBandit , how have you been? Are you familiar with this org?

I've been overly busy, thanks for asking (and good to see you online again!).

Not familiar with this org, or others that get down to that local-specific focus, but I would never consider the door closed....just not opened yet.

Not affiliated with them but a reagent testing company known as DoseTest has done some pretty cool things, they have given away well over 1,000 test kits on Reddit in giveaways if not 5+ really. They also do many other similar things, even giveaway reagent tests at festivals in many different parts of the world, and also run a different company I believe that focuses on MDMA roll supplements. They also do a lot of research into different things, such as advancements in reagent testing, the opioid epidemic, MDMA abuse and more.

www.dosetest.com is their website and all means of contacting them is there as well.

Our Website
Digital safe consumption spotting!

The Massachusetts Overdose Prevention Hotline (800-972-0590), funded by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, is a 24/7 virtual spotting service using a combination of paid staff and volunteer operators. In 2023 they supervised over 1,200 use events and detected nine overdoses; 99% of their calls ended without activation of the safety plan. The hotline is available to anyone in North America, and all operators have lived or living experience with substance use, overdose, chronic pain or family connection.

Call toll free 1-800-972-0590

Goodbye common sense
I'm editing my original post, because the Harm Reduction Project in Boise was raided and doesn't exist. At least not in a building right now.
If you're in Boise like I am, I'm trying to think of ways to stop this bill. Lawmakers in Idaho are morons. Absolute chickenfucking, sister munching stupid morons.
Yes, This stupid.

Last edited: