• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants What is more dangerous - high dose Caffeine or low dose Amphetamines?

registrated

Greenlighter
600 - 800 mg caffeine give me almost the same effect as 10 mg ritalin/adderall.

So i wondered what is more dangerous (heart, blood pressure, ect.)
high-dose caffeine or low-dose amphetamine/ritalin?

Sry for my bad english ;)

It depends on personal physiology. Measure your heart rate and blood pressure when on both and do a comparison.

600mg of caffeine is considered a pretty high dose.

Which ever one you can not say no to is the worst for you. Your addiction is always the most harmful to your body always.

high dose caffeine is probably worse for your heart. low dose amphetamine is probably worse for your dopamine receptors in the long term... long term caffeine use won't produce any lasting changes to your brain structure, mood, or cognitive function, while amphetamines will.

Addiction risk aside, I'd say a low dose of pharm-grade amphetamine is probably less damaging to the body than a high dose of caffeine.

Remember: Many children take amphetamines daily for DECADES or a lifetime without any serious cognitive or cardiovascular problems. It's the dose that makes the poison.

Which ever one you can not say no to is the worst for you. Your addiction is always the most harmful to your body always.

I don't see how that helps answer the person's question in the least bit. Maybe he can say no to both if he wants to. edit: I should add that naturally derived caffeine in appropriate doses is believed to have many positive health effects.

As for the OP's question, I think if you consider a non tolerant person taking both those doses, the caffeine is worse. I know I have taken 10 mg ritalin, non-tolerant, and it didn't make my heart explode or give me palpatations. Before I was a regular coffee drink, if I ingested 200 mg of caffeine I would be unpleasantly wired and on edge. I remember eating 3 excedrin, 65x3 mg caffeine (195 mg), and I was in class at college and literally got so antsy and anxious that I had to get up and leave class 15 minutes early, just got up and left unannounced. But I was never an upper guy at all, and Ritalin to boot, but 10 mg Ritalin was more comfortable than a fraction of 600 mg caffeine.

high dose caffeine is probably worse for your heart. low dose amphetamine is probably worse for your dopamine receptors in the long term... long term caffeine use won't produce any lasting changes to your brain structure, mood, or cognitive function, while amphetamines will.

no...

lol it's completely true. educate yourself: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7408949

"Continuous release of p-chloroamphetamine from subcutaneously implanted minipumps for 3 days decreased brain 5-hydroxytryptamine, but not norepinephrine or dopamine, when analyzed 2 weeks later. In contrast, 2 weeks after infusion of amphetamine, whole brain dopamine but not 5-hydroxytryptamine or norepinephrine, was decreased. Also, the high affinity uptake of [3H] dopamine was markedly and selectively reduced in striatal synaptosomes. Thus, neurotoxicity is apparently not unique to halogenated amphetamine derivatives, but is produced by amphetamine itself if administered continuously."

being a biochemistry/molecular bio major with pharmacology minor at UCSC, and an intern in a chem lab there, i have access to a lot of information regarding drugs. aside from this i'm a former drug addict myself, and my girlfriend is prescribed low dose amphetamines. nobody even challenges the fact that amphetamines cause damage to the dopaminergic system. have you ever seen a meth addict before? case in point... even low doses of non-methylated amphetamines, in the long term, cause changes to the dopamine system. it's hard to say whether it's "good" or "bad" for your brain to change your dopamine and DR levels, but it certainly lowers energy and motivation levels. i'd know because i've been through it. and i've had almost a dozen neurotransmitter tests, before and after, to mark the progress of my supplement regimen.

long term caffeine use won't produce any lasting changes to your brain structure, mood, or cognitive function,

pure bullshit.

also, a study in which unspecified doses of amphetamine were administered directly into the brains of rats somehow does not convince me that in low doses and in humans that amphetamine is toxic. for instance DXM is toxic in rats, and in monkeys when administered i.c.v. but not in humans.

lol it's completely true. educate yourself: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7408949

"Continuous release of p-chloroamphetamine from subcutaneously implanted minipumps for 3 days decreased brain 5-hydroxytryptamine, but not norepinephrine or dopamine, when analyzed 2 weeks later. In contrast, 2 weeks after infusion of amphetamine, whole brain dopamine but not 5-hydroxytryptamine or norepinephrine, was decreased. Also, the high affinity uptake of [3H] dopamine was markedly and selectively reduced in striatal synaptosomes. Thus, neurotoxicity is apparently not unique to halogenated amphetamine derivatives, but is produced by amphetamine itself if administered continuously."

being a biochemistry/molecular bio major with pharmacology minor at UCSC, and an intern in a chem lab there, i have access to a lot of information regarding drugs. aside from this i'm a former drug addict myself, and my girlfriend is prescribed low dose amphetamines. nobody even challenges the fact that amphetamines cause damage to the dopaminergic system. have you ever seen a meth addict before? case in point... even low doses of non-methylated amphetamines, in the long term, cause changes to the dopamine system. it's hard to say whether it's "good" or "bad" for your brain to change your dopamine and DR levels, but it certainly lowers energy and motivation levels. i'd know because i've been through it. and i've had almost a dozen neurotransmitter tests, before and after, to mark the progress of my supplement regimen.

Amphetamines are given to people with ADHD, averaging 60mg/day of Adderall for almost a century and no such damage was reported.

Amphetamines prescribed at higher doses or when abused, do come with some side effects. The most common one can be losing dopamine, which many users experience from higher doses of amphetamines whether it's prescribed adderall or off the streets, also depression, mood swings and anxiety can be greatly triggered.

However since you said a "low dose" it wouldn't be too bad if not done all the time or for too long, because 600mg of caffeine is a hell a lot! I get a good caffeine buzz at 200mg, but i don't think that 600mg would do anything but bad things.