• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

I think my neighbor is smoking meth

queenbee1127

Bluelighter
So, uh, yeah. I think my downstairs neighbor is smoking meth.

I live in an apartment complex and this person moved in below me about a month ago. I went out of town the day after he moved in, but my boyfriend was here and said he acted pretty strangely the whole time. Not only is he completely manic and wants to drink for days on end, with music and video games blasting at all times, he scaled the building to climb onto my balcony one day when my boyfriend happened to be out there smoking a cigarette. He explained to the neighbor that he cannot do that, I live alone and can't have a strange man up on my balcony and he hasn't done it since so there's that.

Last night, myself and some friends were drinking wine when he comes banging on my door, insisting we take him to the liquor store and get drunk - keep in mind I've said hi to this person a handful of times, he doesn't know me. He walks into my apartment pacing around screaming about going to the liquor store and how he's been up drinking since Wednesday, lost his job, lost his phone, totaled his car. All kinds of crazy shit.

After telling him no repeatedly, my boyfriend finally agrees to take him to the liquor store. As soon as they walk out the door one of my friends comments that he thinks the neighbor is high, his behavior is just too erratic to be drunk. I had thought this previously but hearing someone else say it made it seem true. Boyfriend comes back, telling us how crazy he was in the car, yelling at people on the street and insisting my boyfriend stay and get drunk with him. My boyfriend went into his apartment and said it definitely smelled weird but wasn't positive it was meth.

I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, but the possibility that I'm being exposed to meth residue freaks me out.

How would I know if he's using? What can I do? What would you do if you we're me?

Thanks BL

How would I know if he's using?

There's no way to determine such, as the presentation of mania or hypomania strongly resembles stimulant abuse.

the possibility that I'm being exposed to meth residue freaks me out.

If you can't even smell it in your apartment, there's no way that exposure to such a miniscule amount of meth could cause any health effects. Hell, even 'second-hand meth' wouldn't cause any issues.

What would you do if you we're me?

I would do nothing, and probably claim to be 'busy' whenever said neighbor comes around.

ebola

hell from the sounds of it he could be schizo off his meds, or have a number of other mental issues, if he was tweaking on meth his pupils would have been pretty dialated. plus he would have most likely been picking at his skin if he is that twacked out to climb to your balcony or be acting in that way. as for him smoking meth in the apt below you, no real worries there. if he has some kind of makeshift tweaker lab down there, then thats a wholely different and serious issue. the potential for a massive explosion is pretty low, but potential large fire is huge. even if hes doing the shake and bake crap there is still nasty chemicals and fumes esp from the waste product.

sounds like he could just be really manic depressive or schizo and is off his meds, been drinking for days bc of all the stuff he told you, car job ect...and just wanted to be around ppl because hes going stir crazy being alone. id be worried if it were my gf or sister or something living with that guy underneath. does your bf live with you? just keep your window or door to balcony locked but sounds like your bf scared him off by telling him he cant do that. just watch out for signs of aggression from this guy, like ask your bf if he noticed any punched holes in the wall when he was in the guys apt. dead give away of rage. and then id be worried.

or you could do what i do and sleep with a 45 next to your bed loaded with heavy ass hollow points lol. j/k about that. for real tho, just keep an eye on the guy. if he really creeps you out you always have the option of calling the cops (yes as much as the cops suck balls) and just say there is a guy downstairs and im worried about his health. dont mention drug suspicions or him being drunk all the time, just say you are concerned and leave it at that. but try and make that the last possible course.

Sounds like he's got mental health issues and probably nothing to do with drugs. I would avoid him and don't give him any more rides. Once you get friendly, he will keep bothering you. I don't know why he came to your place for a ride to begin with. Him climbing your balcony is bizarre and that would trouble me more than the other stuff.

Umm...why in the world would your boyfriend tell a man who is acting psycho that you, a female lives alone?? if there is something wrong with this guy and obviously there is, the last thing I would want him to know is that I live there alone.

And yeah, cops are assholes in general, but if you are worried for your safety, then call them. I wouldn't even bother about saying worried about his health etc, just tell them you are worried about yourself.

I would never let him inside. When someones behavior is that erratic, no matter what the reason, I damn sure wouldn't let them into my home, especially when it is someone I don't even know. Who knows what is going on in his mind.

And I agree with the poster above...I would never give him a ride or anything else again. As a victim of a totally psychotic neighbor who I was nice to a few times and have now been in a living hell for 9 months since, trust me, just stay as far away as possible. I was kind to this person and then when they continued to overstep boundaries regularly I very gently told them no more. Since then it has been a living hell. I could go on for a couple of hours telling you all that I have experienced. My poor kids and I are generally afraid to even leave the house. You cannot even begin to imagine all the ways they can cause problems.

I would totally avoid any contact with this person. Period.

The worst thing your boyfriend did was give this guy a ride, because you will most definitely have more moments like this. Complain to your landlord. Tell him or her your suspicions. The last thing a landlord wants is a tenant who smokes meth in their building. If he knocks on your door again, and he will since he got his way before, tell him to go away or you're calling the police. If he gets beligerent, call the cops on him. That will go one step further in getting him out of your apartment complex.

People like him are a ticking time bomb. He is destined to be evicted from his apartment. Since he has brought you and your boyfriend into his world, it's up to you to speed this process along. It's the only way you're going to get any peace of mind.

What makes you think he's smoking meth? Fucked up teeth, skinny, horrible skin, grinding jaw, blown pupils?

Honestly, he could just be a drunk. I've known people to act like that just whilst sloshed. Or just crazy, like people have suggested.

Seriously, just call the cops. I've had to do it any number of times, and there is nothing for YOU to fear from them. I hate the cops as much as the next person, but this is the sort of shit they are there for. Also, just cut him off! I'd tell you to tell him to fuck off but if he's that crazy obviously you don't want to do that. Just don't answer the door. Do you have mace or a taser or something if you really need it?

Also, I don't think you have anything to fear from 'meth residue,' unless he's actually cooking it there.

medicine cabinet said:
id be worried if it were my gf or sister or something living with that guy underneath. does your bf live with you? just keep your window or door to balcony locked but sounds like your bf scared him off by telling him he cant do that. just watch out for signs of aggression from this guy, like ask your bf if he noticed any punched holes in the wall when he was in the guys apt. dead give away of rage. and then id be worried.

My boyfriend stays with me virtually every night. Since the balcony incident, we have been pretty diligent about locking the doors.

We did notice a few weeks ago that there is a trail of blood that leads from the sidewalk straight to his door, so who knows what he's capable of.

As far as why I think he's on meth, I guess that was just my assumption based on his erratic behavior but he doesn't look like a meth head physically (teeth, skin etc), so I suppose it could be any stimulant. As long as I'm not being exposed to anything dangerous, I don't really give a shit what he does. My boyfriend came home from work today and said by the time he got inside and changed his clothes, he was up here again banging on the door wanting to get drunk.

What can the cops do for me if I can't prove he's doing anything dangerous? I'm hesitant to call them unless I absolutely have to since last time I called the cops for help, I caught a charge and spent 18 months on probation.

Oh shit. I can see why you'd want to avoid them then. Hmm. If he's harassing you, making you feel uncomfortable/unsafe, you have to do SOMETHING. Wish the cops weren't such cunts.

Well, whether or not the guy is smoking meth, he's behaving really erratically and suspiciously. I'd recommend that you and your boyfriend (and anyone else who lives in or frequently visits your apartment) have a really candid conversation about security measures. Don't give the guy any attention, much less rides. Be vigilant in going to/from your car, especially at night. And always, always, ALWAYS lock your doors.

If you have any contraband in your place, might be best to keep it off-site. I know it's inconvenient, but it is safer in the event you have to call the cops. If he continues to intimidate or harass you, your best course of action is to call the police, preferably with your boyfriend or another witness present. Whether or not you were/are on probation, if this guy does something else to make you fearful for your safety, you'll have to call them. Do you have any neighbors who you know and trust that can back this up?

The easiest resolution is for you and your boyfriend to tell him he is not welcome to contact you for any purpose anymore. A stern reminder that this is not behavior you want anywhere near you might be all that is required. Tread very carefully if you think the guy has a weapon or could get violent. Good luck - please post an update.

wow if you have really seen a blood trail going to his door i would stay the hell away from this fucker. Im sure other ppl in the building have stories or experience with this guy, esp if they are around his age. Are u in the us? What state? Im sure ill get words from a bunch of ppl, but maybe look into some kind of home defence...if you have caught a charge you are going to have issues getting a permit depending on where you live, but you dont need a handgun to be safe...matter of fact a shotgun with double 00 buck is about the best weapon you can have to defend yourself. It can fire massive slugs too (obviously the only time to evr evr evr grab for that thing is if you are truly in fear for your lives, you and ur bf) just the sound of a shotgun being charged is an intimidating sound, not to mention you could turn his entire head or torso into hamburger with one shot, or blow him apart if its a slug....point is, this guy seems agressive. Why not have something to defend yourself in the just in case blue moon he freaks and is kicking ur door in. Cops wont show up for minutes. At least you could hold him at gun point till they got there...but who knows, if this guy is that nuts he might actually want to die. Ahhh fuck it, just call the cops. Let them deal with shooting someone fulll of lead. Or talk to neighbors you know or trust, nothing wrong with everyone keeping an eye out. Plus its good ur bf is there most nights.

It sounds like metal health issues. I would suggest calling the police whenever his music is loud for a noise complaint.

Moving this SO --> DC as second opinion does not allow threads asking serious questions about drugs.

a blood trail? maybe he got the crap beat out of him and had a bloody nose or something. im sure if he was dragging a body someone would have noticed.

i cant even smell meth when vaping it so i dont why you would think you could smell something funny.

if he smokes meth, who cares.

if you think hes an actual harm to your safety call landlord or police. what else could we advise?

edit: maybe hes just an alcoholic and is trying to avoid withdrawals so he just wants his booze. i have no idea.

It sounds like metal health issues. I would suggest calling the police whenever his music is loud for a noise complaint.

Hey now, leave the taste of music out of it, some metal heads I know are some of the coolest and down to earth people I know.

What somebody does in their free time and what drugs they like to do is there problem, not yours. And if you are considering ratting him out to 5 0 i sincerely hope you dont.

It's not a matter of ratting the guy out, it's a safety issue. It hasn't been established that the man's even using drugs, this is only the OP's guess. He definitely has displayed erratic behavior and drinks lots of alcohol. So her main concern is keeping him away from her and her apartment.

Next time hes around and is acting belligerent, tell him to leave or youre going to call security/landlord/police/etc. I suggest talking to the landlord first. If you feel your safety is compromised, then alert authorities. Yes, as much as us drug users hate police (more specifically due to drug laws), we always simply overlook that their job is to protect citizens.

Dont mention anything about drugs because you dont know that for a fact.

I am honestly really shocked at how many people are telling you to call the cops, especially since earlier today I just got done reading how a 13 year old deserved to be gang bashed because he was a snitch by some poster over in DitM... Seriously though, don't you think this guy should actually do something wrong before potentially ruining his life by calling the cops. I am not saying he is somebody that I would want to be living next to, or above as the case may be, but that doesn't really justify calling the police on someone who hasn't threatened you in any way whatsoever. Yes, pleae call the cops immediately if he threatens you or otherwise breaks the law but please don't call the pigs to harrass this man for nothing more than you judging him. You make a bunch of assumptions about this guy, like he is obviously a heavy drinker and the trail of blood leading to his door is more than likely caused by some random injury he incurred while drinking and probably didn't notice he was bleeding. I would wager if he assaulted somebody or worse (which you allude to by saying "who knows what he is capable of"), only to then walk home leaving a fucking blood trail to his door then he wouldn't be your problem any more by now...

Also pretty shocked the OP just assumes, "oh this guy is acting crazy, he MUST be smoking meth!" What kind of shit is that? This is Bluelight, a forum based on harm reduction information about drugs, but here we are making assumptions about peoples drug use like all crazy people use meth and vice versa. It is pretty ignorant and as someone who has used a fair bit of meth in my past it is a little offensive. For the record, if your neighbour is a meth user then he has JUST as much right to be using meth as you do to be using whatever substances that lead you to Bluelight, your drug of choice does not make you a good or a bad person or define how you will act and it kinda sucks to see people in a supposedly educated and understanding community acting like it does. Seriously, how does a Bluelighter justify being concerned that another persons drug of choice is making them a danger to other people?

For the record him smoking meth in his apartment will not affect you in any way, that is an absurd notion, if he was cooking the shit in there then yeah you would be exposed to some toxic shit but I am positive if he was a meth cook he would have people who score off him he could bug for lifts and you would of probably noticed some signs related to its manufacture. He doesn't exactly sound like he has it together, if he tried to cook it would probably end in disaster.

Honestly, this guy may or may not be a meth user, whether he is or not is pretty god damned irrelevant if you ask me. He may or may not be a potential danger, but so far all he has done is demonstrate a bit of awkward and intrusive behaviour, plenty of people who are a threat to nobody will act in this manner. You say he was bugging you for a lift and you repeatedly refused until your boyfriend gave in, I don't see any mention of him becoming aggressive and if he was going to that would be a very likely time since you were refusing to give him what he wanted. My guess is that this guy suffers from some mental health issues that have gone undiagnosed or untreated, he is a heavy drinker who would have lowered inhibitions a good portion of the time and may suffer from poor social skills as a result of his poor mental health and that pretty much explains his actions (shit alcohol alone can explain a SHITLOAD of crazy behaviour in many individuals!). Does this scenario not seem considerably more likely to you than the one where this guy is some insidious meth smoking axe murderer? 8)

Last edited:
I am honestly really shocked at how many people are telling you to call the cops, especially since earlier today I just got done reading how a 13 year old deserved to be gang bashed because he was a snitch by some poster over in DitM... Seriously though, don't you think this guy should actually do something wrong

Like climbing onto her balcony you mean?