⫸STICKY⫷ Drug Studies General Discussion (suggest, & discuss studies here, or chat socially!)

Hi I've merged a couple of threads into this one that were general discussion about studies or asking to participate in studies rather than actual recruitment posts. I'm trying to make this thread into a place where we can talk socially, talk about studies, ask about studies, talk about our future planned studies and such so I figured merging these posts in would help get this off the ground.

Welcome all to the thread, you'll notice some of the posts are a bit jumbled since it's 2 threads merged into one, hope this doesn't cause any confusion :)

Interestingly, a bunch of recent studies suggest that people who take performance enhancers are actually less likely to get good grades than people who don't, and usually take them in contexts where they're cramming for a final deadline. Some participants report starting assignments as close to 3 days before they're supposed to hand them in! So, maybe it has less to do with being over-worked and more to do with students having trouble and/or resisting adapting to the time discipline required of a university degree.
If you badly procrastinate regularly (not just sometimes), it's one of the DSM-IV and V symptoms of ADHD. Russell Barkley's lecture clips on Youtube explain for laypeople the neurological causes of regular procrastination, lack of self-discipline (there is actually a part of the brain responsible for this which is different in people with ADHD, so self-discipline is not the magical force subject to "free will" that people tend to intuitively assume), planning ahead in any real detail, tendency to under-estimate how long tasks will take, and even difficulty learning from past (and endlessly repeated) mistakes, that are found in people diagnosed with ADHD.

I too think a lot of people are self-medicating ADHD. Mild yet clinically significant forms are extremely common, but according to even the highest estimates that studies have suggested, still not quite as common as short-sightedness, eczema or asthma, which no one claims are simply being over-diagnosed. It's interesting that people accept eye, skin and respiratory conditions as genuinely common, but find it so much harder to believe that a neurological disability could be common, due to widespread premature birth, birth complications (which people survive at a far higher rate now in the first world than ever before, so lots more people with mild brain damage from birth are walking around than ever before), people smoking or passive smoking or taking other drugs like alcohol while pregnant, and a whole host of other environmental causes of early neurological harm that interact with certain common genes to give people ADHD.

Last edited:
To Captain.Heroin

Sorry mods this is off topic

But I cant msg you Captain.Heroin, your inbox or something is full

My dog would love to participate as a guinea pig. Free random research chemicals. Sounds fun. Lol

if theres any study on a drug to get off methadone without wthdrawls count me in ,, also would participate in study for real cocaine havnt had real coke since 1987 ,,,

United States -IRB Approval for Survey

Hi,

I was wondering to those who are in America and have gotten IRB approval for drug studies or involving a "vulnerable population" such a drug users/addicts, how long did IRB approval take? I'm more interested in what the process was like for you, especially if you were just doing a survey like on survey monkey. I've heard that it's hard to get, especially if your target population are "drug addicts", how do you define or draw the line in regards to drug users and drug addicts, is there a difference? What loopholes did you have to jump through in regards to collecting your own data, utilizing BL. How long did it take you to collect enough data? And what was your sample size?

Thanks in advanced guys. :)

Databases/software that contain Drug Information (indications, MMOA, safety, etc.)

I know that there are programs like Reaxys and Scifinder that search for articles on how to synthesise molecules, but what is the equivalent that allows you to search for the clinical trial and pharmacological information of various drugs?

Comparesments of drugs through lots of drug studies (meta studies)

15-04-2013 06:01
I am interested in very big drug studies comparing the dangers of tdifferent drugs, preferably made by governments or similar big organisations. I like the ones were group of highly qualified persons read old studies and compile this data. I prefer if they list many illegal drugs plus alcohol and tobacco in order of how dangerous and harmful they are.

Do you know of any studies like this? Please post links to them here!

Here are three old ones that I have found:

1) A study presented in The Lancet 2010:
http://goto.glocalnet.net/rumspringa/Lancet.jpg

2) The british governments from 2006:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article398505.ab (the list if presented below the swedish text)

3) The French governments from 1998:
http://goto.glocalnet.net/rumspringa/French.jpg

16-04-2013 09:16
*Comparisons

21-04-2013 05:40

4) Dutch research, 2009.

http://www.rivm.nl/bibliotheek/rapporten/340001001.html

Ranking van drugs. Een vergelijking van de schadelijkheid van drugs
[ Ranking of drugs. A comparison of the harmful effects of drugs ]

van Amsterdam JGC, Opperhuizen A, Koeter MWJ, Aerts LAGJM, van den Brink W

22-04-2013 09:58
Thank you, just the kind I was looking for!

Research writing paper

25-07-2012 20:43
So for my bachelors level research writing class we have to pick a research topic and then either formulate an opposing argument based off our research or try to prove a point. I obviously want to do something with drugs (ha) but not the typical "legalize weed" stuff. Does anyone have any ideas? :)

29-07-2012 20:15
Maybe that new RCs should be restricted more quickly but not so restricted that no research can be done to see if they are safe.

Maybe that some of the schedules should be re-assessed like cannabis and hydrocodone and other drugs.

Maybe that drugs used to be a part of pretty much all cultures and should still be the same in the US. Even in some countries (African tribes and whatnot) it's still pretty much a daily ritual to trip balls.

30-07-2012 12:05
All great ideas, thank you! I may go with the 1st one.

31-07-2012 17:33
I would be careful, it's not easy writing a paper about drugs and make it unbiased. I wrote a paper in my psych class about the over prescribing of amphetamine salts to young kids.

Like I said just be careful.

04-08-2012 23:44

Thanks everyone :)

I've decided to go with how Hydrocodone is trying to be pushed into schedule II. What I'm going to prove is why it should not be.

20-2-11
edgewood arsenal: government finds epilepsy cure in cannabis.

Never published:
A) gov facility
B) research permission required

LSD: Again wrapped in enigma
A) research permission required
B) permission never granted
C) no one publishes findings

MY theory is prohibition has succeeded in its partial motive of disinformation.

Search google, "serotonin precursor", 5-htp snakeoil disinfo returns

Is my home planet really this bad off? I have a natural precursor and 0, ZERO data to back it up but my own observation.

Does anyone else know of one? Does anyone understand therapeutic and life-saving implications of having one?

Never say never, but not published where many would read it at least:

Jean P. Davis M.D., and H.H. Ramsey, M.D. The demonstration of
anticonvulsant activity of the tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) cogeners by
laboratory tests (Loewe and Goodman, Federation Proc. 6:352, 1947)
prompted clinical trial in five institutionalized epileptic children. All
of them had symptomatic grand mal epilepsy with retardation; three has
cerebral palsy in addition. EEG tracings were grossly abnormal in the
entire group; three has focal seizure activity. Their attacks had been
inadequately controlled on 0.13 gm. of Phenobarbital daily, combined with
0.3 gm. of Dilantin per day in two of the patients, and in a third, with
0.2 gm. of Mesantoin daily.

Two isomeric 3(1,2-dimethyl heptyl) homologs of THC were tested, numbers
122 and 125A, with ataxia potencies 50 and 8 times, respectively, that of
natural Marijuana principles. Number 122 was given to 2 patients for 3
weeks and to 3 patients for 7 weeks. 3 responded at least as well to
previous therapy; the 4th became almost completely and the 5th entirely
seizure free. One patient transferred to 125A after 3 weeks, had prompt
exacerbation of seizures during the ensuing 4 weeks, despite dosages up to
4 mg. daily. The 2nd patient transferred to 125A was adequately controlled
on this dosage, except for a brief period of paranoid behavior three and a
half weeks later; similar episodes had occurred prior to cannabinol
therapy. Other psychic disturbances or toxic reactions were not manifested
during the periods of treatment. Blood counts were normal. The
cannabinoids herein reported deserve further trial in
non-institutionalized epileptics. Reprinted from Federation Proceedings,
Federation of American Society for Experimental Biology, vol 8, 1949,
p.284.

edgewood arsenal: government finds epilepsy cure in cannabis.

Never published:
A) gov facility
B) research permission required

LSD: Again wrapped in enigma
A) research permission required
B) permission never granted
C) no one publishes findings

MY theory is prohibition has succeeded in its partial motive of disinformation.

Search google, "serotonin precursor", 5-htp snakeoil disinfo returns

Is my home planet really this bad off? I have a natural precursor and 0, ZERO data to back it up but my own observation.

Does anyone else know of one? Does anyone understand therapeutic and life-saving implications of having one?

Ergine & Serotonin
The images reveal serotonin-O embedded in the LSA or LSD Molecule

Add one oxygen atom as the unstable molecule breaks down, gee where is there lots of Oxygen? and you get serotonin! Not "serotonin depletion".

Clearly, the known CNS damage that occurs from LSD (or LSA) overdoses is a result of serotonin overload, not from the presence whole precursor.

Potential for addiction
suggests no ill effects of using this precursor, certainly not potenial for serotonin depletion.

The gods gave you LSA, and its okay.
(dont take too much)

there i spilled the beans, u ppl are too slow

27-12-11

Does anyone know of any of these studies going on? I recently used DXM to get off heroin and am so thrilled with the results I'd like to get in touch with an MD or researcher or participants in one of these studies. If they exist. Seem to be kind hard to find. I found one Yale thing thus far, but I'm still looking.

See: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/329/5994/959.abstract

This is what I'd want to get into. If possible I'd like to avoid suboxone and the related treatments. Although I will be talking to a Dr about this tomorrow. We shall see. We shall see. Heroin addiction is a bitch.

At the start of your post you claim that you used DXM to get OFF heroin, thus meaning you must not be using opiates anymore and therefore don't have to fear w/d's anymore.. but then in the end of your post it almost sounds like your looking for answers of using these "NMDA Antagonists" ??? Did i hit the nail on the head? Your still using aren't you? I just have an amazing intuition in how to read people, even when its just words that i have to work with... im outta control! lol

That you did herb ;) I unfortunately indulged in some loperamide, a day ago, but I'm still scared SHITLESS of heroin that I don't think I'll be going back to it for a long time. I mean, I can go out right now, get the dope for free, and pretty much get loaded "no consequence" so to speak. Yet, for some reason, I don't want to ;)

Tomorrow morning, well, haha, today I guess (insomnia can be a real pain), I'm going to a world renowned treatment hospital to get some long needed help. I'm done suffering in the closet. I mean, it's been like 5 years, literally, where only dealers knew I used. Worked so hard to hide it, but NO FUCKING MORE :) It's been so hard figuring out how to afford this treatment hospital, but tomorrow I'm just going in. Fuck it. It's worth the money, right?!

pluss loperamide is gross. I feel like I won't be taking a shit for weeks to come... :\

Publishing Inquiry

Hello,

I thought this would be a good forum in which to inquire about publishing resources for psychedelic studies. My research professor is supporting me in developing a project related to psychedelics, and cannabis. She asked me for a list of Journals that would publish these works. I have a few ideas but thought this would be worth an inquiry post.

Thank you for any input or guidance.

Best,
Lisa

Hi Laudino,

I suppose you would have to let people know what exactly your research is about. I mean, "Spectral analysis of twelve non-psychoactive analogues of 1-(1-phenylcyclohexyl)piperidine" and "The Grateful Debt: An Anectdotal History Of Tripping Balls During The Financial Crisis" aren't going to be in the same publication, right?

Mitigation of the emotional deficit side effect of adderall
Adderall and emotions
So I am beginning to understand what life is like on adderall after being on it for four months.
My use of adderall is an off label prescription to help with symptoms of schizophrenia and side effects of my second generation antipsychotic (avoltion, disorganized speech, trouble with high cognitive function, abstract thought, motor function, and wakefulness.
So going through transition periods with new medications is normal life for me and I will most likely be on medication for the rest of my life.
So I am not a recreational drug user and I wouldn't consider my use of stimulants as performance enhancing Its about having a refined strategy and using what resources are available to make me what you call "normal" luckily I was blessed to have enough discernment to not just cope with negative side effects and symptoms but to strive to overcome them.
So here is my new endeavor.

One thing that I have noticed is with the benefit of enhanced cognitive function of adderall there is a big drawback and that is emotion.
I have heard about this problem and I have felt it myself.
Trouble with being sincere when I know I truly have those feelings I just can't convey them.
My capacity for empathy is slim to none.
So I have a deficit in emotional intelligence as a side effect.
As a result I see my relationships start to suffer and I only feel close to someone when we are engaging in conversation that is centered around intellectual ideas or problem solving.
Any experience based conversation I have noticed it is tough to relate be it laughing or crying none of my emotional responses are sincere.

I have tried to research this problem and I have had no luck with main stream search engines so I'm searching for someone that has more expertise in the mechanisms of adderall. Abstract neurological input is encouraged!
my question is:

Is there any drug, diet, lifestyle, change, or homeopathic medicine I can take in accompaniment with my adderall to fix this emotional deficit?

I'm hoping for something legal but I'm not sure if that is likely.
I have also thought about reaching out to MAPS to investigate the use of MDMA for this purpose

Any input is very much appreciated!
Thank you
-Matthew

Last edited:
My one and only drug study

Hi all,

Around 2010–11 I did a drug study for Purdue Pharma, it wasn't at any of their locations but through another company.

What to study was trying to determine was the proper ratio of naloxone to hydromorphone. Purdue is looking into manufacturing Dilaudid tablets with naloxone to deter intravenous abuse.

We were given injections of ever increasing ratios of hydromorphone and naloxone 1:2, 1:4, 1:8, and 1:16.

The study called for intravenous drug users which I found kind of funny in terms of the need attics for medical purposes. It's not like it's a new thing but it's still struck me as funny.

Here's how the study went, first they had to determine whether we could differentiate between a saline solution by intravenous injection and a Hydromorphone injection, needless to say I passed. Then they had to figure out what dose they could give us to keep us from going into withdrawal, my dose was 8 mg orally and up to an additional 4 mg at night if withdrawals were setting in.

Nobody knew what ratio we were getting when they would give us the injections but they would give us an injection and we would have to fill out a questionnaire about how we were feeling and if we would willingly repeat the same injection given the chance.

In essence they would put us into withdrawal and then once they had their data via the questionnaire they would take us out of withdrawal either with oral Dilaudid or an IV injection.

In total we got five injections on their own separate days and only one of them was just Dilaudid, the remaining ones were the naloxone/hydromorphone mixture. ( I got four noloxone injections one after the other, the final one was pure hydromorphone 8mg and the nurse even put on comfortably numb after I got the shot.)

I was well compensated for the study, but it kind of made me sad knowing that my favourite opiate might be soon mixed with the dreaded naloxone however in the long run if it helps people from being addicted then that is alright with me.

Has anybody heard or read anything about Purdues' efforts in this area?

-Ontariobuds

I haven't ontariobuds but I'm not exactly up to scratch with the cutting edge of this area of research, but just reading this as a pure experience report was extremely insightful, entertaining and encouraging (with regards to the overall consideration for your general well being and the apparent, genuine gratitude for your help.

....needless to say I passed....

and that part is classic mate xx

Man this company is crazy, they had one study where they were injecting people with pure pharmaceutical cocaine, they had to bring a tiny little box about the size of a cashbox in a Brinks type truck with a few ampoules of cocaine in it.

One study there were getting people to differentiate between snorting oxycodone and a sugar pill ( like that would be hard to tell the difference) lol

-Ontariobuds