• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What Causes Dilation of the Pupils with Psychedelics?

Just A Guy

Bluelight Crew
What is it about psychedelics that causes eye dilation?

And what possible reasons might there be for my left eye to never dilate more than half the size of my right eye?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mydriasis#Mechanism

Serotonergic psychedelics such as LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline all produce mydriasis by agonizing to the 5-HT2A receptors in the brain. Dissociatives such as ketamine, DXM, and PCP do so as well via antagonism of the NMDA glutamate receptors. There have also been reports that the atypical psychedelic Salvia divinorum and its active constituent salvinorin A causes mydriasis. It works via agonism of the κ-opioid receptors in the brain. How the neurological changes induced by these drugs ultimately causes pupil dilation is unknown.
Drugs that increase overall serotonin levels in general are capable of causing mydriasis in the same way as the 5-HT2A-mediated psychedelics. This is because serotonin itself is naturally responsible for normal 5-HT2A stimulation. Hence, in sufficient quantities serotonin is mydriatic and can even be mildly psychedelic, though the potentially fatal serotonin syndrome usually ensues before the psychedelia becomes overly-pronounced. Examples of such drugs include MDMA (as well as other MDxx compounds), fenfluramine, chlorphentermine, stimulants (including cocaine and amphetamines), and some antidepressants (such as SSRIs, SNRIs, and MAOIs). Natural serotonin-boosting supplements such as L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP are also capable of this, but usually only in excessive doses.

Unbalanced pupil dilation can in some cases be a symptom of serious things like a stroke, but in your case I would attribute it to your unique neurology.

If this is happening to you for the first time, you should seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY. You could be having a stroke. If this is a usual thing, it could be some old structural damage in your eye, like David Bowie.

I'm just saying that I have never noticed dilation from dissociatives.
Maybe it requires much higher than recreational doses

Thanks!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mydriasis#Mechanism

Unbalanced pupil dilation can in some cases be a symptom of serious things like a stroke, but in your case I would attribute it to your unique neurology.

Thanks!

If this is happening to you for the first time, you should seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY. You could be having a stroke. If this is a usual thing, it could be some old structural damage in your eye, like David Bowie.

It's run of the mill for me. Thank you!

And as far as pupillary response on a psychological level when the pupil dilates it lets in more light. It also dilates when a subject is interesting to us. It seems an almost controlled focused closer look at things forces a dilation. So I am not surprised that pupils dilate on a psychedelic drug.

Nichols theorized that the Locus Coroeleus which is a center in the brain that deals with novelty (i.e. new and potentially interesting things we become aware of) becomes overactive with the use of psychedelics, which sounds believable if you ever tripped (everything becomes a wonder, often like you see it for the first time). It may very well be that pupil dilation is associated with this, allowing in more light to take in all the novelty.

I'm just saying that I have never noticed dilation from dissociatives.
Maybe it requires much higher than recreational doses

Seconded.

i just wanted to add my .2 cents i take opiods daily, mathadone treatment. and it makes my pupils very constricted. i trip alot and i notice when my eyes are pinpoint i wont have visuals when tripping. only when my eyes dilate is when i start to get visuals, weird. so i try to only trip when im not on opoids or when its been a while since my dose. i heard MGS mention something like this.

i just wanted to add my .2 cents i take opiods daily, mathadone treatment. and it makes my pupils very constricted. i trip alot and i notice when my eyes are pinpoint i wont have visuals when tripping. only when my eyes dilate is when i start to get visuals, weird. so i try to only trip when im not on opoids or when its been a while since my dose. i heard MGS mention something like this.

Right on.

^I have also noticed much less visuals when I am high on opiates, I have always wondered if its because of my eyes not dilating or some interaction in my brain. A little off topic but my cat has one big pupil and one little pupil permanently ever since she had a seizure on the roof and fell off, we think she has brain damage or eye damage.

^I have also noticed much less visuals when I am high on opiates, I have always wondered if its because of my eyes not dilating or some interaction in my brain. A little off topic but my cat has one big pupil and one little pupil permanently ever since she had a seizure on the roof and fell off, we think she has brain damage or eye damage.

To both of you, how soon before you trip do you take the opiates? Cause I'm a daily using heroin addict with a truly massive tolerance, and I shoot up no more than two hours before dosing the psychedelic. I've never noticed any effects on the trip at all, my pupils become HUUUGE and the visuals are often super vivid.

Also I would wager brain damage for the kitty, that sucks a lot. I wouldn't believe that a cat could fall off a roof if I hadn't seen one of my cats, now passed away, who fell off a chair as a kitten directly into her skull when I was about six, and she went comatose for like an hour, looked like she was about to fucking die, sticking her tongue out of her mouth and being limp, so my moms and I ran her to the vet, whereupon she totally revived with no prompting from the vet tech or veterinarian. She didn't get brain damage but had it been as much of a fall as from a roof I'd expect that she would have.