• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Harm Reduction type of modded vaporizer pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salutations everybody,

{ Except trolls and their supporters... }

This is a great day!! Appart from finding out about a few domestic problems pending for too long (one relative to AFN in particular!), aHummm... Euh... I'm glad to announce the recent gains gave me access to even better advancements than i initially dreamed of!...

%)

My evaluation sessions in the veranda are now featured with "pepper" style and "punch-in-the-face" experiences., euh... 8o

Anyway the issues from electric-dry cannabic vapor haven't haunted me for a long while and that's quite a relief! :D

So, lets see what i've been toying with recently:

Toking step/Sphere #1

~4.5 mm Front-Puck in main Sphere cavity
~4 mm (trimmed at the base and also in circumference) UFO Element
1.5~2 mm SiC Top-of-Bowl Puck wrapped in brass screen

Toking step/Sphere #2

~3.2 mm Front-Puck in main Sphere cavity
~4 mm (trimmed at the base and also in circumference) UFO Element
~2 mm SiC Top-of-Bowl Puck wrapped in brass screen

Toking step/Sphere #3

Genuine VG Classic (~7.5 mm) Front-Puck in main Sphere cavity
4 mm (trimmed at the base and also in circumference) UFO Element​

Starting with a fat/slow core then moving towards those which are lighter and more reactive.

Lets say the rewards don't fail to show up and hence i'm most proud to have solved this case to my satisfaction and beyond: actually it has reached a point where i may want to use "Plan-B" as a prototyping platform meant to gather more hints about an eventual "Plan-A": e.g. butane-less pre-heating from Induction Heat (LavaWand), etc...

Life's good and trolls are meaningless. So... Please go on and collect trophees, i mean WELCOME TROLLS OF THE EARTH, the AFN ONES INCLUDED!!

Good day, have fun!! =D

Salutations ComfortablyNumb95,

You sure do have a lot of cool stuff...

What's most pleasant about it is the ability to play/explore LEGO-style and follow any significant hint that might emerge, alternately; the multiplication of elements inflates the number of possible permutations quickly though many scenarios ain't viable anyway. This one, for example:

206iw45.jpg

I figure such stacking is probably the way to go when using induction heat alone, eventually, but i'm still after a bi-energy solution so far... Ah, and about trying to promote inclusive design:

ajuxjd.jpg

The tought came to me that perhaps a UFO Element may not be necessary after all, so i decided to play with flat discs instead:

23qylqv.jpg

Which reminds me the material didn't seem like aluminium, by the way.

;)

It turns out VG Classic pipes can vary in size depending on batch/date, this disc above is a multi-size accessory where the control range over matching tolerances relies on the ring's (red) AWG wire gauge instead of the element itself. So, each time i think i'm done a new door opens and that's the case again as i'm now trying to determine what's in favour of a "heat-sink" (tight-fit) layout compared to a drop-in "floating" add-on option. Another significant avenue could be about my Top-of-Bowl SiC Puck which helps prevent combustion much better when raised to 3 mm thick, which requires the 17-Holes Disc to be trimmed down to only 2 mm thick (see picture above) or those wouldn't fit together in the Screwing-Base Aperture (5 mm long only inside):

n4fksw.jpg

In any case instances where the flame catcher funnel felt a tad too long can be multiple, in the past i cut one sphere on the top while this time i found a better method to join the pair of metal tubes inside, by making the base recessed intead - which also suggests a way to add some wood between a burning-hot bowl and my sensitive skin, ultimately...

On top of that i'm now dealing with powerful "pepper" style tokes and even some that i would tag as the "Punch-in-the-Face" effect... Not exactly what i expected initially, considering i want to keep rational dosage in mind, etc. Yet i sense this could become an asset, paving the way to more of a never-ending quest for perfection!...

%)

Good day, have fun!!

=D

Salutations,

My LEGO-style evaluations using more than a single customized sphere was beneficial as it allowed me to pin-point a "sweet-spot" scenario the reader can hope to replicate easily. Here's what a VG Classic sphere looks like without its core:

1rb48l.jpg

And that's how my suggested alternative is implemented, with some brass screen-wrap over my Top-of-Bowl SiC Puck, also holding the metal disc in place:

m8phsj.jpg

In addition, i think the UFO Elements may still prove useful below the cannabic bowl:

sqmovk.jpg

I figure that would render this 10 cm long configuration viable after taming down heat at the mouthpiece, a problem i experienced when i first tried the VG pipe years ago...

wkn0hv.jpg

Too bad i got no yellow "candle" flame lighter in working order to test it right now!...

Good day, have fun!! =D

WARNING

It happens even a modest vaporist pipe can knock people down and force them to sit...

So here's an alternate "Training" sphere configuration:

30dcg1y.jpg

Good day, have fun!! =D

Last edited:
Euh...

2kos2e.jpg

111l00w.jpg

se3k8p.jpg

With some more improvements.

=D

UPDATE

Here's the 4-3-2 core configuration again, adapted for evaluation with some cheap water toy:

2eoe9n9.jpg

Which is where that layout shines best, in retrospective. %)

16m8vp.jpg

Except i made sure this time it would feel real tight inside!...

2jebktu.jpg

The 17-Holes Metal Disc, that is.

m8phsj.jpg

:)

Preliminary results were, euh... Devastating!...

s4aq92.jpg

Too bad this new personalized setup of mine ain't anything as tasty as my pipe with flexible "J" tubing extension, not to mention the lack of control over dosage.

It may prove useful nonetheless!

Good day, have fun!! =D

Salutations,

A new conclusion can be reached.

3vg2a.jpg

The left-side consumption method has good potential for "Harm Reduction" applications while the next one on the right side just proved to promote abuse IMO, in addition i must point out the trade-off for such "improved potency" happens to be lesser aroma/taste appreciation. So, in comparison my hand-pipe as a vaporist tool turns out to be tastier while it favours dosage control even in my "Plan-B" scenario...

Good day, have fun!! =D

And now i can dream of my "Plan-A" concept in more details...

2hf48s9.jpg

Back to my regular topic:

2ds4l53.jpg

M'well, not exactly! ;)

The left part of my illustration (shown above) that is marked "Front Puck" may not seem like it but it happens to belong to a short-path flame catching funnel...

M'Yeap! I've made sure distance between Aperture Ring and Front Puck had been reduced significantly:

27zwvis.jpg

Meaning the flame travels a somewhat shorter path inside, effectively. Just what it takes to get rid of a composite metal core and move back to this simpler structure again:

What a relief! Except this time i think the new sweet-spot ranges around "4 2 2½" (mm), backwards, euh... Which roughly translates as 4.1 mm thick SiC Front Puck + 2.2 mm thick 17-Holes Metal Disc + 2.3 mm SiC Top-of-Bowl Puck wrapped in Brass Screening, considering i yet have to check these parameters using a micrometer, though an apple rarely falls far away from its tree. So, lets just make it 4 - 2 - 2½, for convenience. By the way, no need to cut the metal disc on its side for implementation of a loop-support + mate seating slot; a drop-in disc will do fine...

%)

Next, below this is a side-view demonstrating how it's possible to shorten the flame-catcher funnel and benefit from the extra wood as a guard-band. That doesn't stop burns but manipulations did become more intuitive, somehow.

23tobcj.jpg

As a matter of fact i'd even add i like to play with the Sphere once it's been pre-heated a few times, the warmth in my fingers feels great, almost therapeutic...

Speaking of the "medicinal" aspect(s), it doesn't look like it but that snapshot was taken after i experienced the 4th level (past "pepper") that i started reporting recently. Although i did not panick i usually prefer to avoid that extra state, that may be more appropriate for young people so i'm satisfied enough that it's still an option, on another hand it's also a good thing this won't occur unless using more vacuum force than usual...

Actually it's a bursting-mode style of toke with pre-heating perfomed so quickly i could be mistaking for a regular pipe user at a distance.

Yet my depleated cannabic area has been discolored quite evenly in the bowl, as i found out:

zwarm8.jpg

Which appears to validate my intuition over bursting packets indeed, thinking "Plan-A" once more!...

Good day, have fun!! =D

Salutations,

Ah...

Oh that burst-mode feels particularily appropriate for sure!... <3

2nune6u.jpg

No more need to tweak at last, i can even forget the water bucket!! My last configuration is now "4-2-2½" (FP-Metal-ToBP in mm) without an air layer/tripod inside.

%)

Notice the new dual (converging) flames butane lighter which is a major improvement since it is quick & compact! One last experiment would be to find a reliable yellow flame tool and try mixing blue pre-heat and yellow toking to compare in terms of aroma/taste...

Good day, have fun!! =D

Time to pop.

Although i was happy with it i continue to explore some alternatives:

js0l7l.jpg

For example more SiC and less metal, etc.

=D

Salutations ThujOne,

...how do you clean the SiC pucks?

Never, thanks to training: soot in VG's SiC component results from gross mistakes in operating the pipe - which i've learned to avoid a couple years ago.

Actually that's why i got a flexible "J" tubing extension included early, to provide sufficient line-of-sight; although this PVC material eventually degrades and require replacement it also reflects probable abuse via an obvious cosmetic change, turning opaque gradually as steam gets absorbed (hence it reflects cannabic consumption). As for screens obstructed by condensation of cannabic vapour it's easily "reclaimed" using alcohol unless i find more convenient to vape an empty bowl once i relocated such sticky screen, temporarily, until it clears simply by blowing air on it - which can be viewed as a pleasant experience in itself... Have no worries about the screen covering my Top-of-Bowl SiC puck as it doesn't collect significant residues, because it's too hot anyway.

So, clean butane burning generates heat + H2O + CO2, plus trace amounts of "impurities" contained in the gas can. Soot is no real concern to me, in any case my recent revisions were intended to peform a fine-tuned translation of the resulting application range, in order to allow further reduction of butane burning while rendering "punch-in-the-face" dab-like events more difficult to attain, trying to save gains made in terms of aroma/taste that are intended to improve ritual.

Apparently this can be done through a time-compressed experience which i now tag micro-bursting. So, depending on the butane lighter being used it seems i can finally envision enhanced implementation of a part of VaporGenie's document which the company itself has overlooked so far:

Vaporization pipe with flame filter
(US 7434584 B2, Fig. 11)

« ...directs heat to the periphery... ... ...more uniform heat distribution... ... The disc can also be located under (on the downstream side of) the flame filter. »

As i may have pointed out previously i failed to notice this information initially but i was quite satisfied to find such hints after i revisited their document recently, the difference being instead of top or bottom i chose to put it in the center of a sandwich structure.

So far i've identified 3 modes of operation. There's a low-power scenario where requirement for pre-heating is a consequence while butane burning ain't optimized because of the longer delays, this can be quite tasty in its hybrid form using a "jet" flame to pre-heat and then a yellow one to perform the actual vape but i've come to appreciate stronger flames corresponding to the 2 other modes. At the moment i believe a convergent dual-flame butane lighter works best because it's relatively easy to prevent intense cloud generating incidents compared to a kitchen unit that works fine should a user feel envious of dab-like evaluations - which i'd rather caution against in a "Harm Reduction" context as that's quite a bit too intense for my own taste... Hence the goal to focus on aroma/taste, thinking this compensates plenty, etc.

Good day, have fun!! =D

What's happening, Egzoset?

I've been following this thread for a little while and I respect the work you do but I am a little confused as to the direction you are taking at this point, specifically concerning hydrating and cooling of the vapor.

It's well understood that larger water-bongs create less taste because the water and the bong itself filters out much of the terpenes. It's also my impression that most people use water-bongs for cooling down of the vapor/smoke (which in turn allows for a larger hit as you described well).

My question for you is are you interested in the cooling and the hydration of the vapor? Has the heat and dryness become a non-issue for you? And if so, how is this possible with such a small pipe?

I know if I don't hook my Purple Days up to my bong my throat suffers. Just my experience with vaping...

Salutations,

A new conclusion can be reached.

3vg2a.jpg

The left-side consumption method has good potential for "Harm Reduction" applications while the next one on the right side just proved to promote abuse IMO, in addition i must point out the trade-off for such "improved potency" happens to be lesser aroma/taste appreciation. So, in comparison my hand-pipe as a vaporist tool turns out to be tastier while it favours dosage control even in my "Plan-B" scenario...

Good day, have fun!! =D

Salutations W01fg4ng,

What's happening, Egzoset?

Oh, quite a few things simultaneously though it requires some time to get impregnated after a change of configuration, so to speak.

For example, i'm still evaluating a "4.2 + 1½ + 3¼" (thicknesses expressed in mm) scenario trying to decide if that left enough of an impression to consider some ultimate trade-off at "4¾ + 1½ + 2¾", or so... It seems the closer i get to my goal the more blurred comparisons become, not to mention the human factor being an active part of the process... So it's kind of a narative thing and it's been a few days since i've tried to accumulate sufficient perception to make a choice as to what could be done next.

The PVC flexible tubing extension started to crack at stress points a few weeks ago, i'll have to make a new one in a matter of a few months i think. On another hand i also plan to remove wood in a Sphere from an Oak set, on both sides as i like my previous experiments with recessed metal parts a great deal. It makes the pipe smaller and safer after all... This time i plan to use a 7/8" or 22 mm (dia.) "Bi-Metal Hole Saw" for the preliminary phase; it's necessary to be careful in order to achieve the correct length of Flame-Catcher Funnel, etc. But i'm thinking if i grind my 5¼ mm puck down to 4¾, as i felt appropriate, then i lose future opportunities to evaluate 5¼ Front Puck scenarios somewhat further... So at the moment i'm not even convinced it's worth another SiC cut and yet if i do remove half a millimeter of SiC facing the flame that may result in somewhat darker baking which i'm not sure what i'd be trading that for. M'well at least i can tell 5¼ isn't for usual missions on my to-do list, but the reader is free to try his own ideas provided that person can assume all choices made. Personally i find the present customization feels like 1 of a few final tweaking attempts, after that benefit may become marginal i figure. In addition there's the learning curve kicking in, that changes the whole perspective on top of other events like switching to a different strain, etc.

...a little confused as to the direction you are taking at this point, specifically concerning hydrating and cooling of the vapor.

There's never been a partition to point at the next direction to go but it's probable my conclusions emerge a bit faster near the end, because i've explored whatever i could test most probably. Though i've considered multiple sensors to document eventual narations... That would be a most useful step leading to my "Lava" concept(s) based on Induction Heat combined to the Curie effect, relatively to a self-regulating micro-bursting mode - which is yet another idea fueled by cannabic inspiration! My LavaDisc/LavaWand fantasies would optionally support both dry or moist inlet air but that's another story.

:)

Anyway, in terms of moisture and heat removal it's been dealt with a long while ago, except it was only recently that i've decided to install a full-size UFO Element at the bottom of my Sphere's bowl systematically, under a screen, the loop-retention support then another screen (though with coaser cells), this one defining the base of my cannabic bowl. Genuine or short version, no matter what, that UFO bit made me feel more secure than it should cause concern from a slightly limitted airflow.

Using the genuine VG pipe layout this metal item allows some heat to be captured and then there's fresh room-temperature air injected near the auxiliary wodden hollow cavity, under the metal bowl, to purge my extension tube when i'm about to finish a toke. In any case the micro-bursting mode doesn't cause much heat to accumulate to begin with and my tokes still reflect a significantly enlarged range of application with aroma/taste remaining a priority. I wish i could get my hands on a bronze model but they don't seem to cary those in local stores.

...water-bongs for cooling...

Actually there was another effect which seemed to be perverting my efforts, the water accessory induced a volume-dependant delay causing some disorientation sufficient to lead to various incidents, the "Punch-in-the-Face" one too. Plus that buffering volume defeated micro-bursting exploration which i believe could possibly help with consumption profiles, ultimately. Although i got impressed by the cloud, not as much its aroma/taste than potentcy, it wasn't long before i abandoned all future "bong" projects and decided to destroy the adapter to illustrate my present thread instead. It's just not an option that i would like to suggest anymore, the pipe already offers self-moisturized cannabic vapor and i put items on the path to my lungs to stretch the energy pulse a maximum before it makes contact, hopefully. Which may be one more reason to discourage dab-like appreciation, since i'd be worried about excess heat myself.

So, to answer your question, water accessories simply represent a waste of brittle material to me. Clean butane burning generates a mix of hot dry air and superheated steam which proved so benefical for me i can't imagine going back to electric-dry machines and not even those attached to fancy glasswork. A blessing as far as i'm concerned!

;)

I know if I don't hook my Purple Days up to my bong my throat suffers.

As years passed my HerbalAire (v2.1) eventually made me look ridiculous; it did work as advertized (until its temperature sensor fell, that is) but my lungs require a more gentle solution and that's coming from a tiny pipe indeed it turns out. So at the moment i'm interested only in butane-operated vaporizers and more specifically those that cause their owners to breathe the exhaust of a butaner lighter, litterally!... The trick being micro-bursting as that's an efficient method to avoid potential over-exposure to possible butane-related contaminants, whatever. etc. A brief heat pulse still has plenty of energy to release and transport the goodies away from their substrate in the metal bowl, avoiding quick baking to some acceptable degree in order to promote "conservation" of the appreciative character, 1 or even 2 tokes later.

Drinking water before/after remains a preference today but that's now even more opotional unless i'm engaged into a long testing session. IMO most people should be able to use the pipe and feel relatively relieved compared to what they get from electric-dry setups. Water toy or not. Because i find there's a significant difference between inlet self-conditioning and the addition of water vapor to my cloud, once it has come out of the vaporization chamber. For starters the temperatures ain't the same and the release/transport agents neither i shall reason. In one case you get dull hot dry air and no water toy will fully compensate for that i figured, which leaves the inlet super-heated steam self-conditioning scenario i've adopted as my last option. After that abstinence awaits again, hence my need to use a fair amount of perseverance. Because i want to be able to forget all about it some day and simply use it, knowing i've probed the concept to my best abilities. Considering the overall cost of a custom pipe it's a monster bargain for a "Plan-B" that has ended up being my "Plan-A" for years now... You'll never obtain the same from a similiraly affordable device plugged into the domestic A.C. outlet IMO!

Of course YMMV, though the apple cannot be expected to fall far from its tree.

At this stage the musical instrument analogy sounds even more appropriate than before as i've added new consumption modes, conditionally to power. Correct Yellow flames proved quite difficult to come by but that's most definitely worth finding, for hybrid appreciation toking... Ritual in itself seems better balanced, say good-bye to the "locomotive" effect anyway: the cannabic load cools-off almost instantly. Honestly that's the plan i should have tried first, although the ride was also beneficial in its own way. Plus with micro-bursting it gains a stealthy feature as it looks pretty much the same as a conventional pipe at a distance. Etc., etc.

Perhaps at Christmass you'd be pleased enough to have a nice bronze VG pipe equiped with an additional custom user-supplied Sphere. That should put an end to hot mouthpiece events i presume. Hummm... Personnally i'd be curious enough to cut it and fit some PVC tubing item anyway... Too bad i can't buy those!

Lucky me i can be satisfied by the progress made, in good time for the holydays season. %)

Good day, have fun!! =D

Actually there was another effect which seemed to be perverting my efforts, the water accessory induced a volume-dependant delay causing some disorientation sufficient to lead to various incidents, the "Punch-in-the-Face" one too.
This is what I believe to be called, "drag". It is something to consider when using a bong and it can make for a poor experience.

It's worth exploring diffusion types if you haven't already. "Recycler" is bong with low drag, for example. It might help your situation.

i can't imagine going back to electric-dry machines and not even those attached to fancy glasswork. A blessing as far as i'm concerned!
I turned my health stone into a device very similar to yours (same idea, not as advanced) with just one Disc, a bowl (the Original HS design-not sure if it exist anymore), bong and torch lighter using FLOWER not oil. This was about 5 years ago, so I'm happy to see that you have actually made something out of what I was trying to do 5 years ago.

I didn't get far into my testing with it, other than finding the right amount of time (somewhere between 1-3 seconds- much like your "burst mode" you coined) I was able to vape and sometimes catch on fire accidentally. I'm sure with more discs you have more control over the temps.

Happy Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.