View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines did hippies take shrooms?

whiteline

Ex-Bluelighter
and other psycedelics? (mescaline, etc) than just acid?

Just wondering as I personally get a much more spiritual, headspacey trip from shrooms, where I almost feel like i'm a part of nature. As opposed to acid, which has some moments at the peak where I feel quite trancendent, but for the most part is mostly pretty visuals/ patterns.

Because of this I would have thought shrooms would appeal more to hippes than acid? Shrooms are also from nature itself, not a chemical that comes from a lab.

More of a historical/ sociological question than anything but was just wondering so thought i'd make the thread. Dunno if it belongs more in drug culture than here.

No, hippies "didn't" take mushrooms and no longer do because they don't exist..

Mushroom use wasn't too abundant in the 60s, I'm not sure how many people even knew mushrooms grew outside Mexico in those years.

Actually yes, hippies did use psilocybin mushrooms. After Roger Heim published an article in Life Magazine in 1957 about psilocybin mushrooms their recreational, therapeutic and spiritual applications were explored and their use increased drastically. These mushrooms played a significant role in the psychedelic movement during the mid 60's and 70's, and hippies did use them.
www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_history.shtml
Edit: Curing confusion.

Last edited:
I know some old hippies, and yes, they took 'shrooms. (Haven't you ever listened to the lyrics of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit?) Hippies experimented with a wide range of psychedelics: LSD, mushrooms, mescaline in various forms, Datura, PCP and others, but the first three were more commonly used than the rest, AFAICT.

Actually yes they did. After Roger Heim published an article in Life Magazine in 1957 about psilocybin mushrooms, their recreational, therapeutic and spiritual applications were explored and their use increased drastically. They were certainly a large part in the psychedelic movement then, and hippies did use them.
www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_history.shtml

Wait, I'm unclear what 'they did' refers to? The Heim article was only in reference to mushroom use in Mexico. There still was no use of mushrooms outside of Mexico because no one knew they existed. Sandoz manufactured psilocin and psilocybin pills up till 1966 or so...and any psilocybin use you read about from the mid 50s to the mid 60s would have been those pharmaceutical pills.

it wasn't until the mid sixties that psilocybe mushrooms were discovered outside of Mexico, and not until the early 70s did 'hippies' become aware of all the mushrooms in the south and pacific north west and then actually start eating them.

Oh and White Rabbit (written by Grace Slick's husband actually) was about Amanita muscaria mushrooms....not 'shrooms'

Hi Dr, I am actually very curious about my question.

Mgs hopefully can tell me.

I don't know WTf the op was asking though. Lol

Yeah, I was referring to the OP. I know people do what you're saying though for headaches. Look it up on youtube, there are documentaries on it.

The drug currently used to abort acute migraine pain normally is (imitrex) or sumatriptan, is chemically similar to psilocybin.

Seems like imitrex has possible long term negative side effects including neck and shoulder pain from case reports.

I didn't even know a cluster headache was a migraine until recently. Mine are episodic and last for months. Psilocybin saved my life.

I think western medicine is really backwards in regards to curing people.

Did sandoz produce psilocin pills for cluster migraine headache sufferers?

Sandoz produced LSD, psilocybin, psilocin, as well as ethocin and ethocybin (is that the right name?) for 'experimental use.' You can take that to mean they were furnished to researchers (or anyone with a researcher's letter head) for seeing what the heck psychedelic drugs could really do...they were essentially unknown at the time outside of Native context, or the few intellectuals who experimented with mescaline.

don't know a whole lot about 60's hippie culture, and have only heard people associating acid with 60's hippie culture. Had no idea of the availability, exposure or popularity of shrooms during the 60's. Where they as popular as LSD back then?

it wasn't until the mid sixties that psilocybe mushrooms were discovered outside of Mexico, and not until the early 70s did 'hippies' become aware of all the mushrooms in the south and pacific north west and then actually start eating them.

Doesn't change the fact hippies still took them, and the OP didn't specify 60s hippies :\

Oh and White Rabbit (written by Grace Slick's husband actually) was about Amanita muscaria mushrooms....not 'shrooms'

Didn't know that :) I guess this still fulfills the and "other psycedelics," part of the OP's question.

The drug currently used to abort acute migraine pain normally is (imitrex) or sumatriptan, is chemically similar to psilocybin.

Seems like imitrex has possible long term negative side effects including neck and shoulder pain from case reports.

Funny you should mention that medication: I just recently acquired some sumatriptan. Is the stuff appreciably psychoactive? I could find nothing suggesting that it could be, aside from Wikipedia's description of the chemical.

Yes they did. I know people who were hippies or part of the 60s and early 70s youth counterculture and they told me how they would take synthetic psilocybin and also dried or fresh mushrooms if they were in or near a region where they grew in the United States.

I was ordered ergotamine at one time, but the company producing it with caffeine in it recently discontinued the drug. Cafergot was the name.

After that, corticosteroids provided relief but only after a couple days, and with more negative side effects for me.

Dr I received your PMs and am still confounded at my 'ability' to send one message per 3 hours.

It may not be a surprise to you to meet someone who has successfully treated their cluster headaches with psilocybin is rare. I've read .1 percent of people ever experience them let alone become a physician; I.e. physician heal thyself.

Mmmm maybe but unlikely. Just like a number of 'hippies' claim to have eaten 'mescaline' back when it stopped being available as a research chemical but before the knowledge of San Pedro was wide spread. Unless these late 60s hippies were also amateur mycologists and did some pioneering work but never published it...there really wasn't any magic mushroom eating in the 60s unless you went to Mexico. Knowledge of magic mushrooms in the US was not known until the early 70s....I do believe some discoveries were published earlier but back then most psychedelic enthusiasts were not reading mycology papers.

Yes they did. I know people who were hippies or part of the 60s and early 70s youth counterculture and they told me how they would take synthetic psilocybin and also dried or fresh mushrooms if they were in or near a region where they grew in the United States.

I think psilocybin mushrooms have grown naturally in North America in previous years just as they did in the 60s. Mycology information was probably restricted to those 'in the know', until recently. The advent of the Internet spread information to anyone with a home computer.