• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines did hippies take shrooms?

Mmmm maybe but unlikely. Just like a number of 'hippies' claim to have eaten 'mescaline' back when it stopped being available as a research chemical but before the knowledge of San Pedro was wide spread. Unless these late 60s hippies were also amateur mycologists and did some pioneering work but never published it...there really wasn't any magic mushroom eating in the 60s unless you went to Mexico. Knowledge of magic mushrooms in the US was not known until the early 70s....I do believe some discoveries were published earlier but back then most psychedelic enthusiasts were not reading mycology papers.

OK, whatever. I guess you enjoy arguing and always being "right". 8) You're forgetting that certain species of psychedelic mushrooms grow wild in the Pacific Northwest and American Southeast, and people ate those both fresh and dried in the 60s and early 70s. I know people who were not hippies at all or involved in the counterculture or anti-Vietnam war effort and they were the polar opposite of that, and they were stationed in a central American country while in the military and they took Psilocybin mushrooms and that was in the late 60s or very early 70s.

Yes, there were various psychedelics that "hippies" used other than LSD. Many psychedelics were available on the lot of any grateful dead show. The use of these psychedelics were definitely much more widespread on tour than anywhere else in the country.

Did the pope shit in the woods?
When shrooms where discovered it was on the cover of time magazine.
Mescaline has been known a lot longer.

I think the first guides to gtow cubensis is fairly old.

No the pope didn't shit in the woods, if he did only Francis's closest allies know that. Lmao

The first guide to growing cubensis was written by a bear ya loaf.

of course!

however i think synthetic psilocybin was more common than the actual mushrooms until the seventies. i think it was the same way with mescaline and cacti as well.

as well as these, just in tom wolfe's electric kool-aid acid test and biographies of the grateful dead they mention taking DMT, AMT, DOM, MDA, MDMA, MMDA, MDEA and PCP, all before woodstock even happened.

Didn't Timothy Leary write something about mushrooms in the early 60's? I believe he published something about his mushroom experiences in Mexico and from there is when it hit the mainstream public.
Or something along those lines, but I'm young so what the fuck do I know.

All I know is if LSD was as abundant as the numbers show I would've stocked up. It's something that definitely be available to the masses, so hell I probably would've passed some onto my children. hahah.

Yes, there were various psychedelics that "hippies" used other than LSD. Many psychedelics were available on the lot of any grateful dead show. The use of these psychedelics were definitely much more widespread on tour than anywhere else in the country.

Not true. That's a myth that deadheads (the majority of whom were not even alive or going to shows in the 60s or 70s, or who never saw the grateful dead when Jerry was around or who were not even alive before Jerry died-who have only seen the burnt out Bob Weir/Phil Lesh, other ones/further, or Darkstar orchestra) love to claim but really at the time in the 60s and 70s psychedelic drug use was very mainstream more than it is now, and all sort of people took psychedelic drugs who were not deadheads or who never toured or went to dead shows.

In the 60s and early 70s everyone from professionals like psychologists, curious doctors/college professors, bored husbands and housewives, students in Jr. highschool, highschool, and college, hippies who "dropped out" of society who didn't work and lived on a farm or commune, middle class people, and people who were rich.

However the factual information about drugs was not always correct since people would know very little if anything about the drugs or source of the drugs they were taking if they were synthetic or street drugs, and it was more like, "I have some really good stuff, just take it, it's good!" I remember in the 70s people would try to pass off low dose LSD in microdots or barrels as being "mescaline", or pills and powder that were really PCP as THC or even LSD. Also psychedelic mushrooms were around as well as actual peyote/mescaline.

One friend of mine he and his partner bought what they thought were psychedelic mushrooms but they were actually store bought mushrooms that somebody had put liquid LSD on. Also gay and bisexual men would take LSD and psychedelics before going out to bath houses or sex clubs if they were into that, bars with friends, or just because at the time and still today drugs are still very prevalent in the gay/bisexual male scene. There's a Jefferson Airplane song called Won't you try/Saturday afternoon off the album After bathing at Baxter's which was written in 1967 and they sing about caps of blue which is a reference to psilocybin mushrooms since they stain blue. Also not all deadheads were even into tripping or taking psychedelics, sure we may have tried them but not everyone tripped at shows and the majority of us were into the standards of herb and alcohol, and in the 70s and 80s meth, coke, and heroin became huge in the dead scene. But downers, speed, coke, and booze were huge at dead shows as well and the parkinglot scene has always been full of shady people and rip off artists, undercover cops/police, and other people like that.

Also it may shock you but there were actually people who would go to dead shows completely sober and not use any drugs.

Last edited:
Lmao 'when shrooms were discovered they were on the cover of time magazine'

Is that you Akan Watts? That's a joke.

Hey man I don't need to argue with you to be right. And I never said I was right...just that most likely I am.

The reality still is the knowledge that psilocybin-containing mushrooms grow everywhere was not available to anyone until the late 60s...and then only in mycology publications. I know you had 'old hippies' and military people tell you how they ate mushrooms and what not in the 60s...and if you read what I wrote...I agreed it is possible...just unlikely.

OK, whatever. I guess you enjoy arguing and always being "right". 8) You're forgetting that certain species of psychedelic mushrooms grow wild in the Pacific Northwest and American Southeast, and people ate those both fresh and dried in the 60s and early 70s. I know people who were not hippies at all or involved in the counterculture or anti-Vietnam war effort and they were the polar opposite of that, and they were stationed in a central American country while in the military and they took Psilocybin mushrooms and that was in the late 60s or very early 70s.

Not true. That's a myth that deadheads (the majority of whom were not even alive or going to shows in the 60s or 70s, or who never saw the grateful dead when Jerry was around or who were not even alive before Jerry died-who have only seen the burnt out Bob Weir/Phil Lesh, other ones/further, or Darkstar orchestra) love to claim but really at the time in the 60s and 70s psychedelic drug use was very mainstream more than it is now, and all sort of people took psychedelic drugs who were not deadheads or who never toured or went to dead shows. It was everyone from professionals like psychologists, curious doctors/college professors, bored husbands and housewives, students in Jr. highschool, highschool, and college, hippies who "dropped out" of society who didn't work and lived on a farm or commune, middle class people, and people who were rich. However the factual information about drugs was not always correct since people would know very little if anything about the drugs or source of the drugs they were taking if they were synthetic or street drugs, and it was more like, "I have some really good stuff, just take it, it's good!" I remember in the 70s people would try to pass off low dose LSD in microdots or barrels as being "mescaline", or pills and powder that were really PCP as THC or even LSD. Also psychedelic mushrooms were around as well as actual peyote/mescaline. One friend of mine he and his partner bought what they thought were psychedelic mushrooms but they were actually store bought mushrooms that somebody had put liquid LSD on. There's a Jefferson Airplane song called Won't you try/Saturday afternoon off the album After bathing at Baxter's which was written in 1967 and they sing about caps of blue which is a reference to psilocybin mushrooms since they stain blue. Also not all deadheads were even into tripping or taking psychedelics, sure we may have tried them but not everyone tripped at shows and the majority of us were into the standards of herb and alcohol, and in the 70s and 80s meth, coke, and heroin became huge in the dead scene. Also it may shock you but there were actually people who would go to dead shows completely sober and not use any drugs.

That's ignorant. I have numerous family and friends who have spent YEARS of their lives on tour. To think they all were getting "fooled" with store bought mushrooms with lsd and other ridiculous plots you just came up with is a joke. These people I speak of still use psychedelics to this day and have many stories to share of the life on tour. Some include drugs and others don't. One of my family members favorite psychedelic is mushrooms and was eating mushrooms in the 70' as well as mescaline on more than one occasion. Of course, LSD was the major psychedelic on the lot. Yes, the late 70's through the 80's was filled with hard drugs. Lot's of bad and dark vibes were present in those years.

Of course, people enjoy dead shows sober. Some have never tried a drug in their lives. But, in reality many have. Some attended sober and some attended high. Then there are the "Wharf rats." They are a group that meets up before the show to either chat, or hang out with like minded folks who are attending the show sober. Most are former addicts.

That's ignorant. I have numerous family and friends who have spent YEARS of their lives on tour. To think they all were getting "fooled" with store bought mushrooms with lsd and other ridiculous plots you just came up with is a joke. These people I speak of still use psychedelics to this day and have many stories to share of the life on tour. Some include drugs and others don't. One of my family members favorite psychedelic is mushrooms and was eating mushrooms in the 70' as well as mescaline on more than one occasion. Of course, LSD was the major psychedelic on the lot. Yes, the late 70's through the 80's was filled with hard drugs. Lot's of bad and dark vibes were present in those years.

Of course, people enjoy dead shows sober. Some have never tried a drug in their lives. But, in reality many have. Some attended sober and some attended high. Then there are the "Wharf rats." They are a group that meets up before the show to either chat, or hang out with like minded folks who are attending the show sober. Most are former addicts.

Reading comprehension is something that you REALLY need to work on, and lay off the drugs they're not helping you.

I did not claim anywhere in my post that the majority of deadheads who were taking psychedelic mushrooms were really taking store bought mushrooms that are laced with LSD. I did however claim that we deadheads as a whole in the 60s, 70s, and even 80s and 90s were somehow more into psychedelic drugs as a whole than people were in the 60s and early 70s.

You were not around in the 60s or 70s, so you wouldn't know how mainstream psychedelics were back then and yes in the 60s through 80s people did claim that low dose LSD sold as microdots or barrels was "mescaline" or that PCP in powder or pill/capsule format was THC or even LSD. Heck you've probably never even been to an actual grateful dead show when Jerry Garcia was still alive. You can listen to all of the taped/archived shows you want that or go to see the burntout members like Bob Weir and Phil Lesh/further with fake Jerry are still chugging along the dead moneymaking machine but it's not the same as actually seeing a live dead show. It's not my fault that your so called "friends" and family members wasted years and decades of their lives on tour.

I went to tons of dead shows over the decades but I never got into touring or the whole "lifestyle" around touring which is basically being homeless and living in poverty by choice, since I had better things to do, and I would just go to a large number of shows during the year or in the summer. Sometimes I used drugs, and sometimes I didn't. There were no "wharf rats" back then and that did not start until the 80s. The people who didn't use drugs at shows were just either not into using them at the time as I was like this, or they were just more into the music and not total scenesters who were more into the parkinglot party scene than the music, and even still the majority of people at dead shows were into just drinking booze and smoking herb and it wasn't some huge nonstop trip fest like people who like to revise the past like to claim it was.

My friend and his husband who took what they thought were shrooms but were actually store bought mushrooms are from San Francisco and yeah even there you could get ripped off or get other drugs that you thought were one thing but were really something else. You've also probably always had access to factual information about drugs that's written by chemists, or sites by and for drug users like erowid. There was not really any of that in the 60s, 70s, or 80s and yeah even at dead shows and in mainstream society, you would have shady people who would sell weak or fake drugs.

Last edited:
Actually store bought mushrooms being laced with LSD (or PCP sometimes) is not something he made up...it was a not so uncommon practice. No need to hold one's emotions on what (I am sure good intentioned, and psychedelic-experienced) people have told you...the fact remains that the knowledge that psilocybin mushrooms grew everywhere was not common knowledge until mid 70s, and the idea that actual dried shrooms were for sale at grateful dead concerts in the late 60s or early 70s is just highly unlikely. Not saying nobody had ever eaten a shroom back then (outside Mexico) just that if they did, they would have to be mycology experts because that is the only group of people who 'knew' about them back then.

Hey man I don't need to argue with you to be right. And I never said I was right...just that most likely I am.

The reality still is the knowledge that psilocybin-containing mushrooms grow everywhere was not available to anyone until the late 60s...and then only in mycology publications. I know you had 'old hippies' and military people tell you how they ate mushrooms and what not in the 60s...and if you read what I wrote...I agreed it is possible...just unlikely.

The people I know who were in the military who took mushrooms in the 60s or very early 70s were not in Mexico but they were stationed in a central American country and take them there in that country, or other nearby countries there where people used them and native people from those countries would sell them to American servicemembers along with excellent pot. My other friend that took them in the 60s or early 70s took them in the Pacific Northwest and his friend who had studied mycology and knew which species were psychedelic and which ones to avoid since they are poisonous picked them from the wild for he and his friends.

of course!

however i think synthetic psilocybin was more common than the actual mushrooms until the seventies. i think it was the same way with mescaline and cacti as well.

as well as these, just in tom wolfe's electric kool-aid acid test and biographies of the grateful dead they mention taking DMT, AMT, DOM, MDA, MDMA, MMDA, MDEA and PCP, all before woodstock even happened.

I was about to mention Ken Kesey as well. aMT was called 'IT290' in those days.

A little off topic but Hunter Thompson was quoted as using MDA on the island of Cozumel in the article "the Great Shark Hunt," initially published in Playboy and appearing in the collection of articles of the same namesake. Even though that was in the 70's I'm sure MDA had been floating around among the heads for a little while.

Last edited:
Reading comprehension is something that you REALLY need to work on, and lay off the drugs they're not helping you. I did not claim anywhere in my post that the majority of deadheads who were taking psychedelic mushrooms were really taking store bought mushrooms that are laced with LSD. I did however claim that we deadheads as a whole in the 60s, 70s, and even 80s and 90s were somehow more into psychedelic drugs as a whole than people were in the 60s and early 70s. You were not around in the 60s or 70s, so you wouldn't know how mainstream psychedelics were back then and yes in the 60s through 80s people did claim that low dose LSD sold as microdots or barrels was "mescaline" or that PCP in powder or pill/capsule format was THC or even LSD. Heck you've probably never even been to an actual grateful dead show when Jerry Garcia was still alive. You can listen to all of the taped/archived shows you want that or go to see the burntout members like Bob Weir and Phil Lesh/further with fake Jerry are still chugging along the dead moneymaking machine but it's not the same as actually seeing a live dead show. It's not my fault that your so called "friends" and family members wasted years and decades of their lives on tour. I went to tons of dead shows over the decades but I never got into touring or the whole "lifestyle" around touring which is basically being homeless and living in poverty by choice, since I had better things to do, and I would just go to a large number of shows during the year or in the summer. Sometimes I used drugs, and sometimes I didn't. There were no "wharf rats" back then and that did not start until the 80s. The people who didn't use drugs at shows were just either not into using them at the time as I was like this, or they were just more into the music and not total scenesters who were more into the parkinglot party scene than the music, and even still the majority of people at dead shows were into just drinking booze and smoking herb and it wasn't some huge nonstop trip fest like people who like to revise the past like to claim it was. My friend and his husband who took what they thought were shrooms but were actually store bought mushrooms are from San Francisco and yeah even there you could get ripped off or get other drugs that you thought were one thing but were really something else. You've also probably always had access to factual information about drugs that's written by chemists, or sites by and for drug users like erowid. There was not really any of that in the 60s, 70s, or 80s and yeah even at dead shows and in mainstream society, you would have shady people who would sell weak or fake drugs.

You said my initial post was false. Which it was not. I don't doubt there are people who got "tricked" with drugs. Just as people do today. There are always going to be those shady dealers. But, within close circles there were definitely an abundance of high quality drugs to be shared.
There is no need for putting down people who spent years on tour. That is their choice. They probably lived much more fulfilling lives than most. Not everyone on tour, is living in poverty and hustling from show to show. Yes, we all know many do. There are plenty of people who spent their younger years on tour and had families and successful careers later in life. My parents toured and have college degrees and one medical school as well. So I think they ended up pretty well. Many people realized, they needed real jobs to keep up with what they love doing. Especially, if they want to travel.

As for wharf rats... I never said when they started popping up. Clearly, they appeared in the later years of the GD. Like I stated in my other post, the late 70's on were a bad time for the scene. Especially, with the introduction of harder more addicting substances. .... Before you insult someones reading comprehension you should makes sure you understood their post as well. As for drugs I have a heavy LSD trip a few times a year. Once again no need for insults.

Not true. That's a myth that deadheads (the majority of whom were not even alive or going to shows in the 60s or 70s, or who never saw the grateful dead when Jerry was around or who were not even alive before Jerry died-who have only seen the burnt out Bob Weir/Phil Lesh, other ones/further, or Darkstar orchestra) love to claim but really at the time in the 60s and 70s psychedelic drug use was very mainstream more than it is now, and all sort of people took psychedelic drugs who were not deadheads or who never toured or went to dead shows. It was everyone from professionals like psychologists, curious doctors/college professors, bored husbands and housewives, students in Jr. highschool, highschool, and college, hippies who "dropped out" of society who didn't work and lived on a farm or commune, middle class people, and people who were rich. However the factual information about drugs was not always correct since people would know very little if anything about the drugs or source of the drugs they were taking if they were synthetic or street drugs, and it was more like, "I have some really good stuff, just take it, it's good!" I remember in the 70s people would try to pass off low dose LSD in microdots or barrels as being "mescaline", or pills and powder that were really PCP as THC or even LSD. Also psychedelic mushrooms were around as well as actual peyote/mescaline. One friend of mine he and his partner bought what they thought were psychedelic mushrooms but they were actually store bought mushrooms that somebody had put liquid LSD on. Also gay and bisexual men would take LSD and psychedelics before going out to bath houses or sex clubs if they were into that, bars with friends, or just because at the time and still today drugs are still very prevalent in the gay/bisexual male scene. There's a Jefferson Airplane song called Won't you try/Saturday afternoon off the album After bathing at Baxter's which was written in 1967 and they sing about caps of blue which is a reference to psilocybin mushrooms since they stain blue. Also not all deadheads were even into tripping or taking psychedelics, sure we may have tried them but not everyone tripped at shows and the majority of us were into the standards of herb and alcohol, and in the 70s and 80s meth, coke, and heroin became huge in the dead scene. Also it may shock you but there were actually people who would go to dead shows completely sober and not use any drugs.

Reading comprehension is something that you REALLY need to work on, and lay off the drugs they're not helping you. I did not claim anywhere in my post that the majority of deadheads who were taking psychedelic mushrooms were really taking store bought mushrooms that are laced with LSD. I did however claim that we deadheads as a whole in the 60s, 70s, and even 80s and 90s were somehow more into psychedelic drugs as a whole than people were in the 60s and early 70s. You were not around in the 60s or 70s, so you wouldn't know how mainstream psychedelics were back then and yes in the 60s through 80s people did claim that low dose LSD sold as microdots or barrels was "mescaline" or that PCP in powder or pill/capsule format was THC or even LSD. Heck you've probably never even been to an actual grateful dead show when Jerry Garcia was still alive. You can listen to all of the taped/archived shows you want that or go to see the burntout members like Bob Weir and Phil Lesh/further with fake Jerry are still chugging along the dead moneymaking machine but it's not the same as actually seeing a live dead show. It's not my fault that your so called "friends" and family members wasted years and decades of their lives on tour. I went to tons of dead shows over the decades but I never got into touring or the whole "lifestyle" around touring which is basically being homeless and living in poverty by choice, since I had better things to do, and I would just go to a large number of shows during the year or in the summer. Sometimes I used drugs, and sometimes I didn't. There were no "wharf rats" back then and that did not start until the 80s. The people who didn't use drugs at shows were just either not into using them at the time as I was like this, or they were just more into the music and not total scenesters who were more into the parkinglot party scene than the music, and even still the majority of people at dead shows were into just drinking booze and smoking herb and it wasn't some huge nonstop trip fest like people who like to revise the past like to claim it was. My friend and his husband who took what they thought were shrooms but were actually store bought mushrooms are from San Francisco and yeah even there you could get ripped off or get other drugs that you thought were one thing but were really something else. You've also probably always had access to factual information about drugs that's written by chemists, or sites by and for drug users like erowid. There was not really any of that in the 60s, 70s, or 80s and yeah even at dead shows and in mainstream society, you would have shady people who would sell weak or fake drugs.

learn to paragraph

there were definitely hippies from australia eating mushrooms in the late 60s

No, barely any hippies were taking mushrooms in the 60s. A few went to Mexico to take them but that's about it. The only psilocybin mushrooms known about were those in the mexico.

I was about to mention Ken Kesey as well. aMT was called 'IT290' in those days.

A little off topic but Hunter Thompson was quoted as using MDA on the island of Cozumel in the article "the Great Shark Hunt," initially published in Playboy and appearing in the collection of articles of the same namesake. Even though that was in the 70's I'm sure MDA had been floating around among the heads for a little while.

it always amazes me that MDA and the like never really caught on back then the way ecstasy did in the 80s. i have come across a couple older dudes that took "mud" in the 70s and said it that it was almost exactly like the MDMA available today, from what i understand MDA was going around in the hippie scenes back then under that name.

there were definitely hippies from australia eating mushrooms in the late 60s

Yup, my mother was one of them.

TBPH, as soon as the knowledge of a substance that would get you high got around, people started taking them. Not just mycologists in the 60's, but anyone who had heard of magic mushies wanted to try them and found ways to get them.