Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

contraindications of sodium valproate and MDMA

77red

Greenlighter
Hi All!

I've been looking round online for more information for any reported effects of Sodium Valproate and MDMA. I've not found much info for that particular med so am still unsure about taking MDMA with my dosage, or any specific precautions I should be taking. I currently take 1000mg per day and have been seizure free for almost 20 years. I'd like to know more about any reported effects between Sodium Valproate and MDMA, or any personal experiences you guys and gals may have to share so I can make an informed decision.

I am on 2000mg Valproate per day, I will let you know in a week or so my experience with taking MDMA with this drug.

There could be some influence through enzyme inhibition cyp3a4 by the sodium valproate.
Which should theoretically extend the trip not potentiate it as I believe inhibitors do.
This goes into depth somewhere halfway the is a list hidden with specific meds and their specialty's.

http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/11/6/440.full

This bluelight link tells me MDMA is turned into MDA by mr. CYP3A4 so that seems kinda like a loss,
depsite the neurotox.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/370193-Enzymes-%28eg-CYP2D6-CYP3A4%29-and-Inhibitors-Inducers/page2

To lazy too check but sodium valproate causes upregulation of the 5-HT2A receptor number.
yo can do a search for mdma effects do report back if yo find some of interest 77 red.
And please check for the possible interactions jimmyjimjim before you dive in.

one last one has some stuff on it and when read correct MDMA is included in phenethylamines.
And thus a no go combo
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/648356-List-of-Dangerous-amp-Potentially-Unsafe-Combinations

Last edited:
Hi, i am on depakote as well and also trileptal. This place has always had the most informed users and i havent been led astray before. Is this combo safe with mdma?

Well, it seems Valproate may block the effects of MDMA. Had 200mg of MDMA crystals and the only effects I experienced were physical ones - namely sweating and a slight dry mouth.
There may have been a buildup of other drugs in my system but I hadn't taken any others for over a week which should have been long enough, if I got the half-lives right.

Can anyone else confirm valproate dulling or blocking the effects? How about the oxcarbazapine?

You both seem to exp some lessening, which could be contributed to other factors like tolerance/ losing the magic.
But first time I saw Valproic Acid (VPA) was from a guy who was a bean caner/ e-head. Litterally took way then average dosages.

He was also taking VPA for his epilepsy and rolled balls everytime I saw him. He is still alive today and living a lot soberder now though.

This thread about 5HT2A contains some usefull info http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/615052-Reversing-tolerance-with-psychedelics-MDMA

Another piece is still in my head but would also predict the effcts to be stronger not lessened.
To bad I have not used anything since I am on VPA. Will get back later guys!

Last edited:
Hmmm. May have been other drugs (not SSRIs) that could have affected the roll. Swear I was off them long enough though.

ps. No MDMA tolerance here, that's one thing for sure. It's been years since I've had any.

Im not particularly worried about the depakote, but the trileptal(oxcarba) cant find any good info on that interaction. Considering rolling this weekend, would be much more comfortable after having gotten some feedback

trileptal oxcarba jazir I know nothing about.
But like I wrote something else about Valproic acid (VPA) effected other drugs,
Plasma binding is high, 90 % I believe for VPA.
Theoretically other drugs would have greater effects as most plasma protein will be occupied with VPA.

Again reality and theory don't seem to match

i use mdma several times while taking sodium valproate and i don't had any problems, the high was absolutely normal, neither longer nor less intense

i use mdma several times while taking sodium valproate and i don't had any problems, the high was absolutely normal, neither longer nor less intense

good to hear that at what dose of valproate are you? And for what indication?

Theoretically according to the dangerous combo faq valproic acid and phenethylamines are contraindicated.
Mdma imo is a phen but reality sometimes doesn't follow the theory.
Myself am planning some experiences with methylone and 2c-c for quite some time so naturally I was a little worried, so its good to hear it gave no complications.