Chapel of Sacred Mirrors (CoSM) Events - Full Moon Festival - anyone ever been?

GumbyClaymation

Bluelighter
Hiya,

I'm going to be in NYC this weekend and wondering if anyone's ever been out to one of the CoSM events. https://secure.cosm.org/np/clients/cosm/event.jsp?event=1144 . If so, what was the vibe like there? I know it used to be in Manhattan, but now it's out in the suburbs, and would involve some long train rides with times that don't line up well with the event or renting a car or a hotel room out there. In short, it would be a bit of a commitment to get out there, not the sort of thing I can just pop by and see if it's a good time and then move on if I'm not feeling it.

I enjoy drug culture, and am fine with people who are different, of course. Looking online, it looks like it might be a new age cult-like thing, or it might be weird and interesting; in either case, most likely visually stunning. I get that the Grey's are trying to be considered a legitimate not-for-profit, and they way they spin it on their website is probably a reflection of that.

I'd appreciate comments from anybody who's been there. Barring that, I'd be interested to read your wild speculation, too.

Looks like the type of people who think crystals are good and not the fun kind.

Never been but seems like less of a party/festival thing as it does an indoctrination thing. Lots of new-age/communes/cults/obscure religions use drugs as a lure.

A lot of the stuff Alex Gray portrays in his work I was seeing on LSD before I ever knew he existed. There is much debate over whether or not what we see on LSD (such as the multi-dimensions of body and consciousness) are "real" or just a product of vivid hallucinations. Alex Gray and his peers have taken on a belief in the former and make it no secret in their works.

It seems like a fun festival and I wish I could go. Yeah there might be some koolaid but on the whole it seems pretty creative and would be better than the boring life I usually lead.

Hmmm. Well, that's one vote on each side. Anybody else?

I would love to hear from somebody who's actually been. Is there another board you might recommend where this question might find a more likely audience?

Been to CoSM was one of the greatest experiences of my life, met alex and allison, twas amazing, it was for their visionary tattoo artists gathering. I want to take my GF so bad to a full moon gathering, but i only want to take the six hour drive there if alex grey is gonna be there b/c thats the biggest reason i would want to go, also i wanna go with him to Burning Man, would be an amazing time.

Also, CoSM is kinda culty feeling but in a completley awesome way!

The cult aspect comes from the fact that everyone knows each other there (its basically a church lol) and everyone wears black (I did not know this so looked kinda outta place but was still fun).

If you go i recommend bringing a group of friends so you dont feel too alienated but the ppl there are still real friendly to outsiders, in fact alex grey gave me a hug and sat next to me and talked to me for like twenty minutes. Everyone is very chill and multiple people were having group trips during the time there.

The land is beautiful and the vibes are the best anywhere ive ever been. Also there was a live DJ spinning amazing EDM with awesome lights while alex and allison did a live painting session after the panel discussion, we got to watch him paint, and there were no barriers, ppl were walking right up next to him while he painted (He reeked of weed, he just got done smoking a j when i was talking to him lol)