• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

What will Amitriptyline do?

Fire22

Greenlighter
I am sat looking at 2200mg of Amitriptyline. I am so ill and I want to know what taking this could do to me. Will I fall into a forever sleep? Will I just have a long break from my pain before they wear off? I know nothing about drugs but is this my answer to end my physical problems once and for all? Help me please! Is this a pleasant way to go. I s it enough to guarantee an end?

Last edited by a moderator:
~~~> TDS

Suicide isn't the answer. I hope some posters can give you some words of encouragement to help you find strength. I've been suicidal before, but that was a while ago. Things always get better :).

Thanks Bob, but they wont get better. I am terminally ill but the end is so cruel for me I cant take anymore. I cant afford to fail and makes this hell even worse. This is not suicide really but euthanasia for me. Thanks, but this is not down to counselling or kind words anymore.

I am sat looking at 2200mg of Amitriptyline. I am so ill and I want to know what taking this could do to me. Will I fall into a forever sleep? Will I just have a long break from my pain before they wear off? I know nothing about drugs but is this my answer to end my physical problems once and for all? Help me please! Is this a pleasant way to go. I s it enough to guarantee an end?

Amittiptyline overdose is horrendous. I tried to commit suicide this past winter by taking 3,000mg. I was vomiting, hallucinating, had a fever and 2 seizures. It was the worst experience of my life. As I was laying there experiencing the effects of my OD I wanted nothing more than to live-- which clearly I am very much alive today. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but if it wasn't for the emergency room I'd be dead or severely brain damaged.

We're not going to tell you how to kill yourself here. What is making you feel the way you do? PM me if you think it's too personal to say publicly <3

Did you actually take all that amitriptyline? If so, please call for an ambulance. You need to get some help. I too attempted suicide once and had second thoughts. Yeah I felt despair and then stupid when they sectioned me afterwards, but I really didn't wish to die. I know you want help, otherwise you wouldn't have posted here. Nothing's worth dying over no matter how bad you may be feeling at the moment. Please call for assistance now.

Suicide is a desperate attempt to escape suffering that has become unbearable. Blinded by feelings of self-loathing, hopelessness, or isolation, you can't see any way of finding relief except through death. But despite your desire for the pain to stop, most suicidal people are deeply conflicted about ending their own lives. They wish there was an alternative to committing suicide, but they just can't see one. Put in more simple terms, when your coping mechanisms reach their limits a person looks to suicide as the only one they "think" is left.

If the pain is emotional or physical "it can be addressed" even for the terminally ill, if you don't know how or what or who to ask, I will help.

How long have you tried to deal with the problems that are making you think this the end? Have you tried to talk about it with somebody, if you have and did not get the help you need... Than find somebody else, anybody else.

Last edited:
Amittiptyline overdose is horrendous. I tried to commit suicide this past winter by taking 3,000mg. I was vomiting, hallucinating, had a fever and 2 seizures. It was the worst experience of my life. As I was laying there experiencing the effects of my OD I wanted nothing more than to live-- which clearly I am very much alive today. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but if it wasn't for the emergency room I'd be dead or severely brain damaged.

We're not going to tell you how to kill yourself here. What is making you feel the way you do? PM me if you think it's too personal to say publicly <3

I just assumed as they were prescribed to make me sleep I would fall into a coma and eventually just shut down. what the hell do I do to escape the pain?? I cant wait for Dignitas.

This thread was deeply upsetting. I thoroughly hope that you are able to leave this negative mind set and find a peace and contentment that does not involve taking responsibility for your own death. I wish I could say something more than empty words from a mind that could never conceive what it might be like being in your position.

This thread was deeply upsetting. I thoroughly hope that you are able to leave this negative mind set and find a peace and contentment that does not involve taking responsibility for your own death. I wish I could say something more than empty words from a mind that could never conceive what it might be like being in your position.

I didnt mean to upset or offend but my mind is set, I have no choice because of the position i am in. No amount of pain meds will get me out of the physical deformity i suffer. I have been everywhere, done everything to find help but i am a medical mystery. Every treatment has just made me worse. I have not been able to leave my home for 2 years, so this is not a spur of the moment decision. My heart is breaking I love my boys so much, but it has to end. No choice, I just want it over now and not prolong the agony. We have all suffered enough. My nervous system has gone haywire and is slowly killing me. I dont want to use other methods if you know what I mean, I cannot leave them with that image.

First of all, tricyclic antidepressant overdose is both slow and painful. There is no such thing as 'falling into a coma' peacefully, although your mind may wish to go your body will fight for life - and that's a process that is far from pleasant. If you do overdose, please don't use these.

Regardless, what is it that make you want to die? Are you in physical pain? There are countless drugs out there that can help alleviate this, and your doctor would no doubt do everything they can to help.

Before you do anything, please take a read of this, and know that your pain is only temporary. If anything, you can survive another day so wait until tomorrow. If you have everything to loose, why waste time now suffering. Do what you can to get through today, and ignore the consequences.

Best of luck :) And please talk to us so we can help you, the very fact you made this post shows that there is part of you that wants to live :)

EDIT: Just saw your recent post, what is it that you're suffering from, if you don't mind me asking?

First of all, tricyclic antidepressant overdose is both slow and painful. There is no such thing as 'falling into a coma' peacefully, although your mind may wish to go your body will fight for life - and that's a process that is far from pleasant. If you do overdose, please don't use these.

Regardless, what is it that make you want to die? Are you in physical pain? There are countless drugs out there that can help alleviate this, and your doctor would no doubt do everything they can to help.

Before you do anything, please take a read of this, and know that your pain is only temporary. If anything, you can survive another day so wait until tomorrow. If you have everything to loose, why waste time now suffering. Do what you can to get through today, and ignore the consequences.

Best of luck :) And please talk to us so we can help you, the very fact you made this post shows that there is part of you that wants to live :)

EDIT: Just saw your recent post, what is it that you're suffering from, if you don't mind me asking?

Every part of me would want to live but for what has happened to me. Physical pain isnt always treatable, I should know. I am deformed from the pain and spasm very very badly, and in the cruelest ways. Unless you have experienced what physical can do to you, you havent got a clue. No I cant hang on for more of this it most definitely is not temporary, it is killing me slowly, too slow.

I have no other drugs to take, I dont care if it hurts me, I just want to know if it will work and how long it might take, I dont want saving. I have a DNR in place on my medical records but trust they may ignore it. Is it enough. Some conditions are to cruel to live with when nature takes too long. I used to love life, this is not depression. This is pure physical hell.

amatryptaline is an anti depressants which are extremely hard to overdose on and i've tryed before and i felt like shit and had to spend a few months in a couple psych wards

I didnt mean to upset or offend but my mind is set, I have no choice because of the position i am in. No amount of pain meds will get me out of the physical deformity i suffer. I have been everywhere, done everything to find help but i am a medical mystery. Every treatment has just made me worse. I have not been able to leave my home for 2 years, so this is not a spur of the moment decision. My heart is breaking I love my boys so much, but it has to end. No choice, I just want it over now and not prolong the agony. We have all suffered enough. My nervous system has gone haywire and is slowly killing me. I dont want to use other methods if you know what I mean, I cannot leave them with that image.

I don't know what to say or what I should say other than the fact that no one knows quite what you are going through other than yourself. Death is an inevitability, we are all born dying with a clock above our heads ticking away so if you can find the strength to stay and push through the suffering then you should because you know it will end but again I am in no position to even think I could help or advise you. I just wish you all the best and know that learning of what you are going through has really touched me and my way of looking at things.

I don't know what to say or what I should say other than the fact that no one knows quite what you are going through other than yourself. Death is an inevitability, we are all born dying with a clock above our heads ticking away so if you can find the strength to stay and push through the suffering then you should because you know it will end but again I am in no position to even think I could help or advise you. I just wish you all the best and know that learning of what you are going through has really touched me and my way of looking at things.

Thanks. Life is surely precious, I didnt appreciate it when I had it.

Please can anyonetell me if adding vodka will help it work? I need to do something asap.

Do not take any medicine that is not prescribed to you. You are in SEVERE need of medical help. Please call 911 and tell them you're suicidal and need immediate help.

Do not take any medicine that is not prescribed to you. You are in SEVERE need of medical help. Please call 911 and tell them you're suicidal and need immediate help.

So they can put me in the mental hospice again where my medical needs were ignored because they dont understand what has happened to me.
Meds are prescribed to me but just need to know if enough to do the job. Can anyone not even begin to understand when your body is shutting down and you need to end it. Its horrible. I am dying anyway there is nothing to preserve. Please TRY to understand when your dying and in a bad way u want it over. Euthanasia should be made legal everywhere.

I'm sorry that you're in this situation. It truly sucks. I think many people have missed the boat here. You've stated that you are TERMINALLY ill. If the rest of your short life is only going to be painful, I wouldn't want to live either. That being said, are you sure there is no hope of recovery? What is your diagnosis, if you don't mind me asking? If you could elaborate on your situation it may help people understand what you are going through, and thus give you better advice. Good luck. I hope you can find the peace you seek, in this life or the next.

No one here can or will tell you what to take to end your life. When you say that you cannot wait for Dignitas, what do you mean? Have you contacted them and spoken with someone there?

You have two boys? How old are they? Who will take care of them? What have you put into place for them? What have you told them? The suicide of a parent is an extremely damaging experience for a child.

If you are thinking of ending your life due to extreme and incurable physical pain, you need to discuss this further with your doctor. He or she needs to know that your pain is not being managed well enough and that it is making you suicidal. Having your pain managed through the end stages of disease is what hospice does. When you say that it is terminal, do you mean that you will live with it for life or that it will kill you? (Some diseases are not curable but they are treatable, others are not).

Some how bumped into this thread searching for Amitriptyline via google. Is OP still with us?