• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alternate Versions and Added Steps to the 12 Steps

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Undivine Twelve Step

Admitted that we had a problem with addiction, that no plan we had or could come up with to continue use would work and reached out for the help we needed to sort it out.

Concluded that by seeking and utilizing help we might be able to live without problems from our addiction.

Decided to follow our hearts and let it guide our lives and actions.

Wrote down a list of all the negative things we did and all the negative things that were done to us. Added to that list anything that carried an unpleasent emotion when we thought about it.

In writing that list and telling another person we were forced to face the fact that all these events were real and this in turn forced us to finally face these events. In facing these events we were able to remove the emotional tag associated with the event and thus extinguished our addictions emotional stronghold.

Once we admitted to ourselves that all these events were real and told another person we received the natural psychological healing that comes when anyone has the courage to do this. We were able to get these things off our chest, realized that they were not as big a deal as we made it out to be, took away the fear of someone finding out, relieved us of the guilt and shame as well as the anger and resentment towards others and finally put in the work needed to clear the emotional tags that would drive us back to use.

Forgave ourselves and others and worked through events that we had never dealt with, but instead had circumnavigated with the use of drugs.

Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make
amends to them all.

Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do
so would injure them or others.

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly
admitted it.

Continued to listen to and follow our hearts, and developed courage and confidence to believe in our hearts, and actively pursued the path and actions it showed us.

Having learned how to recover from addiction we helped others with their struggles.
[/CENTER]

Last edited:
Love this! I've never read it before. I think this is great for those in the beginning of recovery that have a problem with the "God" aspect of the 12 steps (as many, many, many do).

Last edited by a moderator:
So much to say on this NSA...

I have to say as someone who used the 12 steps in the past, and they undoubtedly saved my life. That this is a real solid alternative that could be much easier for people to grasp, and use as a tool in the path to success.

One criticism I have is in step 6 where it says we admitted that these events were real. For individuals that are struggling having something that haunts them being questioned as real or not could be extremely detrimental. Just a thought.

@wirehangers and many others. I just wanna say aa and na and 12 step programs alike are not religious groups, but spiritual. I had a hard time myself, but without it I would be dead. God is a word that is used for a higher power.

Don't get me wrong. I am not preaching the program, and I don't even attend anymore because for me it was a stepping stone. However, when the idea that its a religion is passed on it could very well hinder others from success.

Last edited:
One criticism I have is in step 6 where it says we admitted that these events were real. For individuals that are struggling having something that haunts them being questioned as real or not could be extremely detrimental. Just a thought.

Maybe it should be reworded.. what i was kinda trying to say there is that I think often times there are things that we have done or have been done to us that carry so much unwanted emotion or pain, that we may tend to shove them into a place in our psyche and not really admit to ourselves that these events really happened. Kinda of a state of denial... we put it in a place where it is still able to cause us harm but because we choose not to deal with it so we never heal from it. I think that part of the healing associated with confession is that we bring these "buried" memories up to the surface and "make them real" by telling another person.. with other psychological processes associated with confession that heal, possibly that we are social beings and are supposed to share our struggles with each other and when we do share our problems it is looked at by the mind as addressing the problem and thus no longer caries such emotion driving to be addressed be addressed.. but also I think by bringing these buried "memories" to the surface we are forced to take them out of the denial and thus begin to deal with them in our minds.. hence making them "real."

Awesome idea NSA, I like it :)

this is a real solid alternative that could be much easier for people to grasp, and use as a tool in the path to success.
Fully agree.

Interesting interpretation, I wouldn't have thought of it like that. Hard to think of a concise way of re-wording it that more clearly explains NSA's idea. Maybe just take out the "real" part? What do you think NSA?

I just wanna say aa and na and 12 step programs alike are not religious groups, but spiritual. I had a hard time myself, but without it I would be dead. God is a word that is used for a higher power.

Don't get me wrong. I am not preaching the program, and I don't even attend anymore because for me it was a stepping stone. However, when the idea that its a religion is passed on it could very well hinder others from success.

I am tempted to debate this with you, but we have a whole thread for arguing about the merits of AA/NA and things like whether or not it is a religion so I'll keep my opinions to myself as to not detract from this thread ;)

I will say though, whether you call it "God" or a "Higher Power", I think the point of this version of the 12 Steps is to remove that completely. Some people find the idea of a "Higher Power" of any kind off-putting or unhelpful and so this may be a version they can relate to.

I like this version although for step 4 I have read to write down positives too, so it's not too depressing I guess. So while listing all the negative shit you did while using, list the positive attributes you currently have. At least that's what I got from it, but then again the 'traditional' step doesn't really say it, it's more in the explanation in the step book.

I will say though, whether you call it "God" or a "Higher Power", I think the point of this version of the 12 Steps is to remove that completely. Some people find the idea of a "Higher Power" of any kind off-putting or unhelpful and so this may be a version they can relate to.

I completely agree.

I like this version although for step 4 I have read to write down positives too, so it's not too depressing I guess. So while listing all the negative shit you did while using, list the positive attributes you currently have. At least that's what I got from it, but then again the 'traditional' step doesn't really say it, it's more in the explanation in the step book.
we can work that in too..

This is excellent; a great alternative to the steps. The higher power/god thing was a big turn-off for me, as I'm an atheist and felt hypocritical during my time in the fellowships (like I was saying things I didn't believe in).

>snip< I'm having one of these rare moments where humor (in any form) is making me laugh and smile and feel just a little normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ step one on any list should be.. I will never take myself or life so serious it causes me discomfort in any form.. taking oneself to seriously makes a seriously uncomfortable life =D

Last edited:
I've worked the 12 steps of AA and it helped me a lot. I think this is an amazing alternative to the spiritually based steps (AA, NA, CA, etc.). Seems to open the doors for those who struggle with the higher power concept!! Great work!!

Very nice! Definitely removes a lot of the language people have a hard time with.

I thought step one was "cut a hole in the box" though...

dick-in-a-box.jpg

;)

i had a sponsor in AA that made the steps just like what you just posted it depends on who you choose as a sponsor they all have you work the steps differently

Wow, this will definitely help people who are suffering drug addictions or even alcoholics. People who also read this post can also help by sharing the thoughts of "12 Steps" to their loved ones who still experience such problems. :) I really like this post.

#12 Having learned to have compassion for ourselves as a source for recovering from our addictions and improving our lives, we have renewed compassion for others and can extend our support to those still struggling for the benefit of all.

wordy, but compassion for the self is so integral to the whole process.