• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Extracting psilocybin from mushrooms without ethyl alcohol?

Anon610

Bluelighter
Is there an effective way of doing this without ethyl alcohol?
Its illegal where I live, so that's not an option. I heard someone say vinegar but I don't know. I've been searching for a good 45 minutes with some many different 'theories'.
I'll keep looking but if you guys know a great solution please let me know.

methanol aka methyl hydrate

safe if you evaporate it all at the end

could i do it with naptha? and is their a certain quanitity? like can i do it with an eighth?

Denatured Alcohol tends to be ethanol, with methanol or isopropanol or acetone etc. to stop people using it as cheap drink. These all tend to be volatile substances, so should evaporate off but if you can get your hands on 90%~ ethanol, its unlikely to be any different imo.

Denatured Alcohol tends to be ethanol, with methanol or isopropanol or acetone etc. to stop people using it as cheap drink. These all tend to be volatile substances, so should evaporate off but if you can get your hands on 90%~ ethanol, its unlikely to be any different imo.

So is that a yes that would work? This guy left a review saying:
I recently purchased this product after the MSDS showed about 90% ethanol/10%methanol content - higher ethanol content will burn more clean and hot. This was by far the highest ratio for a denatured alcohol I was able to find that is commercially available. Tried it out in a few homemade backpacking alcohol stoves and it was excellent with a clean flame and no detectable soot buildup on the pots used over the flame.
I highly recommend this as far as use as a clean burning fuel source at a decent price (~$0.23 per fl oz).

And would you need to be 21 to buy it? I'm 19. I could say its for school purposes for making tinctures and isolating chemicals from plants.

Because you can't drink it, I don't think so. They'll look at you in a weird way, but eh

Methanol could be quite dangerous (you go blind if you ingest a certain amount of it), but yeah since you're evaporating it, there's no harm

Otherwise, try Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)

Methanol could be quite dangerous (you go blind if you ingest a certain amount of it), but yeah since you're evaporating it, there's no harm

Otherwise, try Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)

Well its 90% Ethanol and 10% Methanol. That should be fine correct? I heard ISO doesn't work as well. Now will this turn it into a tincture or crystals?
I really don't want to go blind. Lol. But I need the best alternative. I'd like to make it a crystal/powder base but tincture is fine too. Lotta guides require 190 proof alcohol, which I need a special permit for.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ingest a methanol tincture, so it's safe to say you'll get crystals. Was just pointing out the blindness part for you to be careful ;)

I wouldn't ingest a methanol tincture, so it's safe to say you'll get crystals. Was just pointing out the blindness part for you to be careful ;)

Alright, sorry if I seem dumb right now, I'm really tired and my cognitive skills are horrendous.
BUT so it will work with that stuff I showed. Just make sure it evaporates all the way?

Make sure that you have minimal liquid left, evaporate it all!
It's very good stuff to use for an extract.

Methyl hydrate. Go to an automotive shop and ask for it, they use it for air brake antifreeze.
Although if alcohol is illegal where you live I'm guessing its a middle eastern country, they may have no need for air brake antifreeze

What about acetone? It's typically sold as nail polish removal, but I think marine shops and other hardware stores may also stock it in larger quantity for fiberglass hull cleaning. Also not as toxic as methanol (but a mighty irritant so you'd also want to make sure it all evaporates).

Don't substitute random shit like naptha, acetone etc. Just go out and buy some methanol. It is not controlled. People use it as brake line de-icer, or as a fuel for camp stoves.

There is no need to use denatured ethanol, acetone, naptha, ethyl acetate, dichloromethane, hot water, ether, petroleum ether, diglyme, toluene, PEG 400, isopropanol, butanol, butyl acetate, isopropyl myristate, dimethylformamide, DMSO, acetic acid, propanoic acid, or anything else.

Use methanol. It selectively dissolves the psilocin and psilocybin and leaves everything else behind. Put chopped up mushrooms in methanol. Warm the methanol gently, with a warm water bath. Keep it warm for 2-4 hours. Drain the methanol. Let it evaporate.

You can recrystallise the psilocin/psilocybin from a small amount of boiling water if you are concerned about ingesting traces of methanol. But you'd ingest more MeOH in a typical glass of fruit juice than that trapped in crystals of psilocin.

Again, don't substitute anything else. Just use the damn methanol. Anything else is going to be more difficult to use, less selective, or more expensive.

footnote: you can use ethanol if you're desperate, but it will take longer to evaporate.

Can anyone tell me the benefits of this extraction?
Faster onset? Different feeling high?
As well what what are the yields around if done properly?