• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

wicked methadone experience

southseattle

Greenlighter
Im a veteran opiod user, at first it was fun now it's a curse.. anyways 2 weeks ago I decided to try methadone maintenance treatment, I had tried it once before for approximately 12 months (2011). the first time for whatever unknown reason I didn't experience many of the side effects the first time I'm not sure why possibly because I was coming off of methadone as a pain management med ( maybe this acclimated me? ) and was also using benzodizapines because of severe social anxiety and panic attacks. over the last five to six years I would say on average per day I would use between 100 and 250 mgs-primarly oxycodone/morphine. so current day I lost my job but was still spending every dime I had on pills so I decided to try out MMT as I had success in the past. it was by far the worst experience I've had as far as drug using, withdrawals included. I started at 30 milligrams on a Monday and went up 10 milligrams per day until Friday when I went jumped to 95 milligrams. Throughout the week I had extreme stomach pains, nausea, double vision sometimes I couldnt put together coherent sentences.. I would throw up once or twice a day, I extreme motion sickness, sweating, very lethargic. But my primary question is has anyone else with an opiate tolerance became so sick off liquid methadone?? when I was raised to 95 milligrams I threw up violently all over the side of the city Metro bus and decided that was enough. even after throwing up I would feel dizzy lightheaded and incapacitated.

I'm going to move this to the Sober Living forum (mods feel free to move this to Mental Health or elsewhere if it's more appropriate).

Homeless --> SL

Dude, the dose was waaay too high for your habbit, no wondr you felt so sick!

100-250mg is a very different dose between morphine and oxy, morphine being considerably weaker

95mg of methadone is way, way too much

Oh my ... wow. Yeah that is why you're sick bro. Even when I was shooting OC80's a single 40MG methadone wafer would have me in vomitville for a couple hours.

Dr-dr-dr-dr-dr-op daaaaaa dossssse.

what is going on here?

Hey southseattle:) sorry you find yourself in this way!!

Blue light opiat conversion chart for oral says that 20 mg of methadone is equal to 5-10 mgs of methadone... so that would mean that
>Thread: Opioid Conversion Chart<

for a 100 mg oxy habit you would take between 25 and 50 mg of methadone..

I see that this post is from awhile back and would love to hear the outcome if you get a chance.

Hope you were able to sort this out

for a 250 mg oxy habit you would be between 65 and 130 mgs of methadone..

Are you currently taking a benzo or were you able to drop those and if so when?

Did the symptoms change at any point during the ramp up.. I mean have you felt the same way the entire time or because of the rapid increase in dose could you have real quick switched from withdrawl to mild overdose? IMO these symptoms can feel somewhat similar?

Also the half life of methadone can be dramatically different for people..
The half-life of methadone is 15-60 hours
>here<

But i have also seen that
The “half-life” of methadone can very from 10 hours to 140 hours~Dr. David P. Teicheira
>here<

Did you take your first dose with when you were sick or where you still on a comfortable amount of oxy/morph ? if you were still on a comfortable amount of pain meds another possibility is that you may have a long half life with methadone and you never even got into the withdrawals but have continued to stack methadone on top of methadone.. if you have a sixty hour half life then buy day three by just estimating for the eliminated methadone you would have been at 95 mgs.. and continuing to rise..

there was definitely something wrong.. I mean double vision is not a normal experience with this and it sets off allot of warning signs.. especially in conjunction with vomiting.. I think everybody's right and I think you are getting an OD.. I am so glad you threw up as this was IMO the very best thing for you..

Hey never mind about that^^ I came across this in the what are you RXd thread you posted it 2-6-13 .. It would be great to know which of these you were on when this happened.. and if you were on all these at one time.. man thats ALLOT of downers >here<

Methadone 120mg (still not holding)
120 Klonopin 1mg
60 Promethazine 25mg
30 Ambien 10mg
30 Seroquel 300mg
60 Clonodine .3
Definitely had some better scripts in the past-but these are more than adequate to keep me sane

Methadone (also known as Symoron, Dolophine, Amidone, Methadose, Physeptone, Heptadon and many other names) is a synthetic opioid. It is used medically as an analgesic and a maintenance anti-addictive and reductive preparation for use by patients with opioid dependency
Adverse effects[edit source | editbeta]

Adverse effects of methadone include:[29][30][31][32][33]
Thrombus
Hypoventilation
Constipation
Extreme sweating and heat intolerance
Chronic fatigue, sleepiness and exhaustion
Constricted pupils
Nausea
Low blood pressure
Hallucination
Headache
Vomiting
Cardiac arrhythmia[24]
Anorexia
Weight gain
Sudden Death
Gynecomastia
Memory loss
Stomach pains
Dry mouth
Perspiration
Flushing
Itching
Difficulty urinating
Swelling of the hands, arms, feet, and legs
Agitation
Mood changes
Blurred vision
Insomnia
Impotence
Skin rash
Seizures
Mortality
In the United States, deaths linked to methadone more than quadrupled in the five-year period between 1999 and 2004. According to the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics,[35] as well as a 2006 series in the Charleston (West Virginia) Gazette,[36] medical examiners listed methadone as contributing to 3,849 deaths in 2004. That number was up from 790 in 1999. Approximately 82 percent of those deaths were listed as accidental, and most deaths involved combinations of methadone with other drugs]
] (especially benzodiazepines).

Promethazine "is a neuroleptic medication and first-generation antihistamine of the phenothiazine family. The drug has strong sedative and weak antipsychotic effects. It also reduces motion sickness and has antiemetic and anticholinergic properties. In some countries it is prescribed for insomnia when benzodiazepines are contraindicated" >wiki<

Clonazepam: is a benzodiazepine drug having anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant, sedative, and hypnotic properties >here<

Seroquel: Quetiapine (/kwɨˈtaɪ.əpiːn/ kwi-ty-ə-peen) (branded as Seroquel, Xeroquel, Ketipinor) is a short-acting atypical antipsychotic The most common side-effect of quetiapine is somnolence. Other common side-effects include sluggishness, fatigue, dry mouth, sore throat, dizziness, abdominal pain, constipation, upset stomach, orthostatic hypotension, inflammation or swelling of the sinuses or pharynx, blurred vision, increased appetite, and weight gain. Hypothyroidism has been seen in up to 5% of patients with various effects on levels of TSH, T4 and T3. >here< Somnolence (or "drowsiness") is a state of near-sleep, a strong desire for sleep, or sleeping for unusually long periods (cf. hypersomnia). It has two distinct meanings, referring both to the usual state preceding falling asleep

Zolpidem (brand names Ambien, Ambien CR, Intermezzo, Stilnox, and Sublinox) is a prescription medication used for the treatment of insomnia and some brain disorders. It is a short-acting nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic of the imidazopyridine class [2] that potentiates GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter, by binding to GABAA receptors at the same location as benzodiazepines. Adverse effects[edit source | editbeta] Various zolpidem pills
Side effects may include:
Headaches
Nausea
Vomiting
Dizziness
Anterograde amnesia
Hallucinations, through all physical senses, of varying intensity
Delusions[citation needed]
Altered thought patterns
Ataxia or poor motor coordination, difficulty maintaining balance[15]
Euphoria and/or dysphoria
Increased appetite
Increased or decreased libido
Impaired judgment and reasoning
Uninhibited extroversion in social or interpersonal settings
Increased impulsivity
Overdose
An overdose of zolpidem may cause excessive sedation, pin-point pupils, or depressed respiratory function, which may progress to coma, and possibly death. Combined with alcohol, opiates, or other CNS depressants, it may be even more likely to lead to fatal overdoses. Zolpidem overdosage can be treated with the benzodiazepine receptor antagonist flumazenil, which displaces zolpidem from its binding site on the benzodiazepine receptor to rapidly reverse the effects of the zolpidem.[34]
>here<

Drug interactions between Seroquel and zolpidem (ambien)
zolpidem ↔ quetiapine moderate
Applies to:zolpidem and Seroquel (quetiapine)
Using zolpidem together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor. >here<

Clonidine
(trade names Catapres, Kapvay, Nexiclon and others) is a sympatholytic medication used to treat high blood pressure, ADHD, anxiety/panic disorder, and certain pain conditions. It is classified as a centrally acting α2 adrenergic agonist. An alternative hypothesis that has been proposed is that clonidine acts centrally as an imidazoline receptor agonist. >here<

. Throughout the week I had extreme stomach pains, nausea, double vision sometimes I couldnt put together coherent sentences.. I would throw up once or twice a day, I extreme motion sickness, sweating, very lethargic. But my primary question is has anyone else with an opiate tolerance became so sick off liquid methadone?? when I was raised to 95 milligrams I threw up violently all over the side of the city Metro bus and decided that was enough. even after throwing up I would feel dizzy lightheaded and incapacitated.

I am not a Dr and this is my non medical opinion.. I have a hard time believing that one Dr prescribed you all this, If you were indeed getting this stuff from multiple sources you were making a very bad descion and it most likely showed In your reaction.. If you are in fact still kickin >>>>>>><3I hope you found the help you need<3.<<<<<<<.. really man I dont ever get to preachy but literally you need dire help.. and If you are alive please post back in an tell us.. If you managed to detox some of this insane med list.. I would love to hear the story.. what were you prescribed all this for?? .. again its not a medical opinion and you should trust your DR.. but I have no idea how you were able to do anything on this list of meds .. I would love to hear from you please drop us a line.. <3

Last edited:
^ The conversion chart is for analgesic properties. This chart has one for acute use of methadone, and one for chronic. The chronic dosage would be the one to use for maintenance I believe, and it has 1.35mg of methadone equal to 5.0-6.7mg of oxycodone. That would have 200mg of oxycodone (which is on the higher end of the OP's daily dose of oxy) equal to 40-54mg of methadone.

As others have said, no wonder they were sick from 95mg of methadone. I just realized the OP started this thread in May so that's as much as I'm going to comment for now.

yea that's a pretty high methadone dosage, it sounds like you took to much and are sick from taking to much. I'd try a lower dosage! Be careful methadone can be incredibly deadly if you over do it!! Talk with your doc about switching to a lower dose, I hope everything works out! Keep your head up things will get better!!!

I have a hard time believing that one Dr prescribed you all this, If you were indeed getting this stuff from multiple sources you were making a very bad descion and it most likely showed In your reaction..
This does not shock me at all. There are doctors around here that will prescribe 160mg of Methadone, 90mg Roxi, 8mg Xanax and more per day. I know, it is crazy, but it is VERY REAL. NO ONE NEEDS SUCH MEDICATION!! But, the doctors obviously "need" the money and that's how they keep you coming back for more.

Last edited by a moderator: