• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone and Grapefruit Juice

Sick-Boy

Greenlighter
After having a profoundly deep relationship with the most pleasing and desirous girlfriend of my life; Heroin, she became too taxing, needing all my money for our love affair to continue. Frequently causing me to run out of money and then be left alone, as my heart and body broke into shreds without her by my side.
And though in time I'd always be able to have enough for her to come back over for one night stands, our relationship became so dysfunctional that I was nearly always on the verge of suicide. Craving her return with all of my being, only able to quell the pain when I could again inject her into my veins, as she washed away all the pain and filled me with her otherworldly pleasures. Staying with me but only for brief a time, then leaving just as quickly as she arrived.
Eventually I realized the only way out from this relationship was suicide, even though I could still occasionally get the money needed to convince her to come back, my life was filled with so much turmoil continuing this relationship much longer would certainly lead to my planned demise.
However I decided I would see if I could find something else to replace her, to ease the pain so I could continue living, despite never feeling her caress again. And thus I was lead to Methadone. Far enough from my previous romance, but the proper kind of medicine to balance out the hardships I had endured.
Anyway, metaphors aside, I switched to Methadone nearly a week ago. Despite the first two nights being rough, withdrawing pretty heavy due to both being on too low a dose, and not having a reasonable enough half life built up, things are going quite pleasantly since the uncomfortable beginnings.
However aside from a relief that came with the knowledge the Heroin cravings were no longer eating at me as they once were every sober (and withdrawing) moment of my life, I've only had the mildest, hardly noticeable buzzes from Methadone...
I'd heard from both friends and folks online that Grapefruit Juice can act as a potentiator and augment parts of the effects of Methadone, so since the first day on it I've drank around one glass of it shortly after dosing, with very, very little noticeable difference. That is until today, when I decided to, rather than only drink a glass of grape fruit juice, chug half a carton after around 40 minutes from my dose, and have since nearly consumed the whole thing after taking a liking to the effects which basically produced a very subtle, yet pleasant buzz comparable in strength to drinking slightly over one alcoholic drink, only with a feeling more catered toward my style. (I'm actually getting a very, very, very light nod going on. Not enough to nod out, but enough to cause me to relax enough to close my eyes and take it all in.)

Yet despite enjoying utilizing this little trick, I am curious if it can pose any negative interactions with the drug, such as: Could the buzz possibly be a result of the Methadone being more rapidly metabolized into my system, and thus possibly decreasing it's duration. Could the acidic nature of the juice possibly be breaking down part of the Methadone still being absorbed within my system? Might this effect eventually no longer work after my body is fully stabilized on the Methadone? If I were to no longer drink Grapefruit Juice with my Methadone, might I experience slight withdrawal like feelings?
Though I know a reasonable amount of drugs and their effects, this particular interaction is something I know very little about, and only made use of it after hearing it has an interaction with orally taken opiates by a friend and a few people online, (if not coming from people who have demonstrated enough knowledge on the subjects of drugs, I would have scoffed as it being ridiculous and likely have never bothered to try it.) With the aforementioned four concerns also being rumors I've come across, I decided I'd bring this to the folks at Blue-Light in hopes of being offered some enlightening insight into this curious interaction, it's benefits and it's possible downsides. (And even if there are further methods to augment the Methadone and thus give me an even nicer little buzz.)
So yeah, obviously I am still looking to feel good off this drug. Just because I've switched over to Methadone doesn't mean I'm a straight shooter. Despite the people of NA likely frowning upon an addict who doesn't want to basically despise feeling good off of all substances, I still greatly enjoy intoxicates, and would have loved if Heroin Maintenance made it to the US, as I'd obviously be on that asap. Likewise, I still play a role in the Drug counter culture, and am in favor of it all, looking at it as a personal freedom of the individual to choose for oneself.

Also, though I've specified this topic as dealing specifically with Methadone and Grapefruit Juice, anyone who is likewise curious about the effect of this with any other Opiates (or even other drugs) desiring to share their experience, etc, are by all means encouraged to. I'd not see that as deviating from the initial topic at hand, but rather expanding upon it.

Anyway, thanks for reading! For those who read my metaphoric story, I hope you didn't find it too pretentious (or flat out dorky as fuck.)
As an explanation I was compelled to phrase it that way in this particular topic as for me, Heroin literally was viewed as a form of romance, though not with a psychical entity, it certainly posed much of the seemingly nurturing, compassionate, and sensual aspects the best of relationships could only come close to. I even derived sexual pleasure from rubbing my fingers across the bags in my possession as I road back to my house from my hood of choice. So yeah, that should indeed illustrate the type of attachment to Heroin, which I termed a "New (or hidden) Sexuality."

Anyway, thanks for reading this slightly disjointed topic.

grapefruit juice contains furanocoumarins like bergamottin that are fairly good inhibitors of liver CYP enzymes (which are responsible for degrading drugs). hence combining e.g. grapefruit juice plus methadone results in an increased duration of effect. the same amount of methadone is absorbed, it's just that it is broken down at a much slower rate, allowing concentrations to rise higher and stay there for longer. this is well documented in the medical literature.
(it does not totally prevent drug breakdown, nor does it effect absorbtion/excretion)

most of the time you need to consume large amounts of (preferably raw, fresh, unfiltered) grapefruit juice to get a decent effect - a standard serving of 1 or 2 cups is not enough.

the acidity of gfj will not increase methadone breakdown, as methadone is stable to acid.

if you take methadone with GFJ all the time, your body will become accustomed to the higher levels of methadone in your blood, and you will probably feel shitty when you stop eating grapefruits. (you would need a higher methadone dosage, or perhaps a redose) So maybe don't do this on a regular basis, if you want your maintenance to actually hold you... maybe also consider that methadone maintenance is a shitty place to try and get a buzz.

Thank you very much for all your insight sekio, upon reading the first paragraph I thought to myself something along the lines of "Oh wow, not only does this aid in me getting a buzz, it extends the life of Methadone, thus further delaying the urgency to redose."

Then upon reading the second paragraph, I realized I likely should unfortunately be weary of this method, lest I suddenly start withdrawing due to Grape Fruit Juice....
I suppose I'll take your advice on this and not make it consistent, but still perhaps down a carton twice a week or so.
Damn, really was hoping this would be a nice little chemical loop hole that would grant me a pleasant buzz everyday.
Oh well, I suppose you're quite right in saying a Methadone Clinic is a poor place to get a buzz from (though I did happen across half a nick bag of Cocaine in the parking lot Yesterday.)

Otherwise, it would seem my options to get a proper buzz any longer are even further limited.
Random drug screenings would insure I don't take anything illegal, thus I'm left with my Benzo Script (which still needs to be regulated so as not to run out before my next refill,) the usage of Alcohol (of which I'm no longer very fond,) and (as daft as it sounds) occasional Grape Fruit Juice.
More of a selection than most people, but when you're the guy who's life consisted of a plethora of substances throughout the entirety of his latter teen years, all the way up until about 5 days ago, it all seems so entirely.... bland....
Oh well.

Thanks again for the information.

Pink grapefruit juice barely works so maybe that's why you felt no effects you want white/yellow grapefruit juice or even better as sekio suggested squeeze it yourself. I must add that on maintenance the effects of enzyme inhibitors seem less dramatic than in a varied pattern of abuse.

Right now I'm using "Florida's Natural Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice" apparently 100% pure Grapefruit Juice, and I must say, after drinking a full carton today, I was granted around a 5 hour long high that actually felt somewhat comparable to Heroin, say two hours after dosing. I was nodding lightly, (and could have very well fully if I let myself go) feeling some incredible euphoria I never would have imagined would be the case, and overall am quite happy to have the ability to make use of this technique. Even now though I am coming down, I still have light pleasant effects, though I do feel somewhat drained. Regardless, I could easily get use to this, and the best part is, it's entirely legal.

Outside of the clinic today I was discussing this with other patients, and one female mentioned she use to always use Grapefruit, I inquired if, upon stopping, did she ever feel any form of withdrawal. According to her she'd not experienced such a thing.
In addition to her personal experience, and the ease of acquiring Grapefruit, and Grapefruit Juice, I think I'll continue making use of this method. It's absolutely fantastic.

if you take methadone with GFJ all the time, your body will become accustomed to the higher levels of methadone in your blood, and you will probably feel shitty when you stop eating grapefruits. (you would need a higher methadone dosage, or perhaps a redose) So maybe don't do this on a regular basis, if you want your maintenance to actually hold you... maybe also consider that methadone maintenance is a shitty place to try and get a buzz.

Hah. Pretty crazy, picking up a grapefruit juice habit.

BingeBoy, that information is utterly fantastic, I only wish I knew about it during my 3 year romance with Heroin!

Tomorrow I'll be stocking up on White Grapefruit Juice, and likely test the effectiveness of DXM to help ensure tolerance is kept to a minimum.

The past three doses of Methadone have consisted of 2 of my PRN Ativan snorted (then later on one popped,) along with snorting half a Benadryl 50 MG (I generally mix the Benadryl and Ativan together. What can I say, Ativan has a very lightly sweet taste, I've taken to bitter drips, so mixing it with the Benadryl is more my style.)

Even upon reaching my first stable dose of 60 MG Methadone, the most I felt was a very mild mood lift, and that was even when in conjunction with the Ativan and Benadryl.
Since I started utilizing the Grapefruit technique, each of my Doses have been incredible, I'd easily equate the effects with Heroin, no rush, but at it's maximum I get virtually the same feeling as I would off of one bag, if my peak euphoric tolerance was 1 1/2 bags.
This means very intense mood elevation, euphoria, dreamy sedation, itching, light nodding, (and even fully nodding out upon laying on my bed attempting to read.) And so far, it seems as if each dose increases the length of this effect. Yesterday it was over after around 5 hours, today it's lasted nearly 10, (though obviously the effects became less pronounced during the last few hours.)
So far, from all the reports I've come across with Grapefruit Juice and Methadone, I've not once come across any that describe having reached the pleasant level I seem to have reached. The only two other reports I've come across similar dealt with someone who would take high blood-pressure medication and reach a potent high consistently, only to go into withdrawal when ceasing usage of the blood-pressure medication. The other simply involved a female who stated she has consistently felt a heavy intoxication from Methadone during her whole time in treatment, likewise comparing it to a Heroin High minus the injection rush.

Though perhaps I'm building myself up for a fall, I truly hope that my utilization of this technique continues on full force, that much as these two other reports have made mention, I will be able to enjoy the effects of Methadone so long as I continue on with this Grapefruit combination.
I may be setting myself up for a fall, but as I reflect back upon a few other instances in my life that involved Opiates and the ability to maintain a consistent proper high from, along with the few testimonies of people who seem to be overly sensitive to Methadone, I can only hope that this mixture will continue to grant me a pleasurable experience.

And Mr.Scagnattie, the thought did cross my mind as well, transferring my Heroin addiction to that of Grapefruit.
I can humorously picture people standing outside of the clinic slinging Grapefruit Juice.

Anyway, in a few days I'll again post the effects, hopefully they remain consistent.

One caveat that I don't think has been considered - regular consumption of high amounts of coumarins, such as compounds related to bergamottin in grapefruit, can cause photosensitisation (increased sensitivity to UVA/B rays, see psoralin/methoxsalen) and potentially blood clotting issues (e.g. warfarin and compounds related to it). So if you're doing GFJ all the time, you may want to invest in some sunscreen, and discontinue if you notice blood clotting issues.

This is not normally a concern because people normally don't consume grapefruit to excess purposefully to get these compounds...

Hey sekio never heard of these issues but I did read something about possible liver toxicity.

Also watch out with these tips, some of them will barely work others will cause a dramatic increase of (side)effects. I don't know if tagamet is listed in there for Americans it's a very good alternative to gfj but it can cause gynaecomastia!

As for setting yourself up for a fall I think eventually the effects will fade and you will limit supplementation to just one or 2 days a week (the weekend? ) it's the sensible thing to do.

One caveat that I don't think has been considered - regular consumption of high amounts of coumarins, such as compounds related to bergamottin in grapefruit, can cause photosensitisation (increased sensitivity to UVA/B rays, see psoralin/methoxsalen) and potentially blood clotting issues (e.g. warfarin and compounds related to it). So if you're doing GFJ all the time, you may want to invest in some sunscreen, and discontinue if you notice blood clotting issues.

This is not normally a concern because people normally don't consume grapefruit to excess purposefully to get these compounds...

I know this is an old thrread but do I have to worry about skin sensitivity to the sun. How much daily Grapefruit Juice consumption is considered excessive.
I drink 250ML of Florida's Natural Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice once a day to make my medication last longer + to make Vitamin C work better and last longer in the body too.
Is drinking 250ML once a day enough to cause problems? In most studies about inhibition they consume like 200ML 3x a day every 5 hours for one of them I was reading.

I think this is bullshit: there is a theoretical modest increase in methadone levels with GFG and with omeprazole and we all (me included) get excited and write a million posts and try it out: let's ask ourselves...
Has anyone had an incontrovertible experience of this making any subjective difference to the methadone effect? If not, then it is only theoretically interesting if you're a scientist. How many accounts have you read of 5this incontrovertably working? Me - none I don't think. And I've drank GFJ and taken omeprazole religiously for a while. When I stop: no difference. People may say "you didn't try red GFJ", or "white GFJ", or you didn't drink a litre, or you didn't stand on hour head and recite the American constitution or whatever.
Lets face it: it's bunk. Have an extra mg of your opiate instead if you can - or not. Let's get off of this shit though cuz we're turning into scary ghosts with asbestos stomachs and formaldehyde breath.

I think this is bullshit: there is a theoretical modest increase in methadone levels with GFG and with omeprazole and we all (me included) get excited and write a million posts and try it out: let's ask ourselves...
Has anyone had an incontrovertible experience of this making any subjective difference to the methadone effect? If not, then it is only theoretically interesting if you're a scientist. How many accounts have you read of 5this incontrovertably working? Me - none I don't think. And I've drank GFJ and taken omeprazole religiously for a while. When I stop: no difference. People may say "you didn't try red GFJ", or "white GFJ", or you didn't drink a litre, or you didn't stand on hour head and recite the American constitution or whatever.
Lets face it: it's bunk. Have an extra mg of your opiate instead if you can - or not. Let's get off of this shit though cuz we're turning into scary ghosts with asbestos stomachs and formaldehyde breath.

I don't know what you're expecting from grapefruit juice or any other inhibitor to do for u but for me it makes my medication last A LOT longer and I don't have to take nearly as frequently as I would otherwise.

That's basically the only thing anyone should expect at best from this type of thing.

Last edited:
White grapefruit from concentrate is what I was using for years ....apparently has highest enzyme inhibition properties so Methadone is at higher serum levels and slower elimination clearance

Could be dangerous for non-stable patients/individuals....could fall asleep at nighttime with chronic, benzo, alcohol....only to never wake up.....so be careful please.

Subjectively it potentiated the effects of my daily Methadone 80mg slightly

I can't find white grapefruit juice or grapefuits since they are more bitter tasting and nobody prefers them, unfortunately.

Ya Methadone is a total different ball game compared to other meds though for reasons like u said.