• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax after opiates

tham1288

Bluelighter
I plan on after taking my last dose of hydrocodone 30mg late tonight that when I wake up in the morning 4-6 hours after my last dose taking xanax. Only plan on taking .5mg to help ease into the wd's of hydrocodone. Is this safe to do? I know hydrocodone and xanax are dangerous to take together but is spreading them out with a low dose of xanax a major risk? I will be at home alone so no one to check on me and my breathing.

I am prescribed the xanax but its been years since i've taken one. I've been on suboxone for 3 years, lortab before that since 2007 and recently back on lortab for about a month or so. 30mg is the average 2-3 times a day. I hate xanax and benzos in general but anything to help sleep through this would be great! I know they are addictive but I am confident they are only being used short term as the effects are too unpleasant for me to enjoy.

Thanks for the help! I will check the post in the AM when I wake up.

I plan on after taking my last dose of hydrocodone 30mg late tonight that when I wake up in the morning 4-6 hours after my last dose taking xanax. Only plan on taking .5mg to help ease into the wd's of hydrocodone. Is this safe to do? I know hydrocodone and xanax are dangerous to take together but is spreading them out with a low dose of xanax a major risk? I will be at home alone so no one to check on me and my breathing.

I am prescribed the xanax but its been years since i've taken one. I've been on suboxone for 3 years, lortab before that since 2007 and recently back on lortab for about a month or so. 30mg is the average 2-3 times a day. I hate xanax and benzos in general but anything to help sleep through this would be great! I know they are addictive but I am confident they are only being used short term as the effects are too unpleasant for me to enjoy.

Thanks for the help! I will check the post in the AM when I wake up.

It's mixing benzos and opiates together at the same time, while each drug is affecting you at the same time and depressing your CNS, that is dangerous. If you are in withdrawal from opiates, that means it is no longer attached to your receptors and affecting you anymore. In that case, many people use benzos to ease the symptoms.

I personally use xanax for what it is supposed to be used for, anxiety....but if you purchase them off the street, most of the dealers are opiate users. I feel like most opiate users also are addicted to xanax, not for the high, but just to ease the withdrawal from the opiates. But to answer your question...mixing them like scagnattie said is dangerous....but using xanax to ease the withdrawal of opiates is VERY common. Like I said, most xanax or benzo dealers are opiate users also (atleast around my area....)

Yeah, I've got a prescription to them for extreme anxiety but I havn't used them in a long time but have a prescription lying around. Thanks for the insight. I know after 4-6 hours theres still some hydrocodone left in the system going on half life. 4-6 hours half life so 30mg would be 15mg in my system 4-6 hours later. Would that be dangerous mixed with .25mg xanax? I feel like crap after only 4-6 hours.

I'm still looking for an answer to my last question. Is 4-6 hours after my last 30mg of hydrocodone safe to ingest .25mg of xanax?

I'm still looking for an answer to my last question. Is 4-6 hours after my last 30mg of hydrocodone safe to ingest .25mg of xanax?

The average half-life for hydrocodone is 3.8 hours.. Mixing opiates and benzos is a very dangerous cocktail, even in low doses.. Although I don't believe you will run into any major problems, there is absolutely no telling if you are completely in the safe or not. Every time I have mixed opiates and benzos, I ended up in a LOT of trouble.

Thanks so much for your reply! I appreciate it very much. Be careful and good day'

I don't mind to sound naive, but you sound like you've not done it before - mixing opioids and benzos? (Based on the fact that you're seeking advice on what to do)

Why don't you take the 30mg Hydrocodone as usual and then just leave off the Xanax? Is this based on the fact that you've had, or usually have, w/d symptoms from taking the Hydrocodone and since you're already anticipating it - want to try the Xanax to combat it?

What I'm really asking is do you feel that you really NEED to take the Xanax, or would perhaps just PREFER to take it? IMO, if you don't NEED to take it and would just LIKE to take it, I'd honestly try holding off if it's possible buddy. They're not good to mix at the best of times.

Just trying to suss out the state of play because I couldn't quite make out from your OP?

Yeah thanks for your reply Rybee. Your correct i'm not use to taking it. Its been forever and i'm not a mixer as its dangerous. I wanted a way to take 1 lortab with a xanax to drop my tolerance. Not sure if that made sense. Also when I was going to go through withdrawal I wanted to be able to start xanax pretty quick because once the w/d hits i'm too anxious and always give into taking the hydrocodone. Your post makes sense though and right now i'm on sub at a very low dose every 36 hours and clononodine and left out the xanax so far.