View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Seizures & Blackouts on Psychedelics Thread

TheLord

Bluelighter
Two of my friends have experienced seizures seemingly induced by mushrooms. Once we were all sitting in a room listening to music as we were coming down and all of a sudden my friend falls back and starts convulsing, looking like he's dying. Then he looked up at us with a panicked look in his eyes. He said that he didn't remember what happened but that right afterwards everything appeared bright and he started tripping balls again. The experience scared the hell out of him and the rest of us shrooming. It happened again a few nights ago to another one of my friends by himself. Both of these people have never experienced a seizure before. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this or knows what might be the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you should post about this one over at the shroomery: www.shroomery.org. Shrooms have always been considered to be very safe, but as with any drug, some individual users may unfortunately suffer unanticipated adverse reactions.
Thor, maybe you can comment on this as well?

i had heard years ago that if one has schizophrenic (or latent schizophrenic) tendencies, that shrooms could produce a violent reaction. i had a friend at the time who did indeed have latent schizo tendencies, and we never let him have shrooms for this reason.
last fall, i did shrooms with a group of new friends. one of them, as i was to find out later, had minor (normally unnoticeable) schizo/MPD issues. when he did his shrooms, he was fine at first, and then totally flipped out, convulsing, drooling on himself, and remaining incoherent for a few hours thereafter. afterwards he was just fine, but it scared us.
from what i know, shrooms (at normal doses) won't induce seizures unless taken by someone with certain types of psychiatric issues. did these friends of yours have any such issues? did they mix the shrooms with anything? might they have been bad shrooms?
~purasuma!!!

I will add that if a person has an underlying epileptic condition that has not surface, psychedelics, much like strobing lights, would probably cause that problem to surface. This may or may not be the case with your friend.
Pure

As far as they know, neither of the friends had any latent psychological problems or epilepsy, but it's quite possible. It just seems odd that it happened to two different people. The only other drug used at the time was weed. My fear was that perhaps some of the shrooms were actually not of the psilocybin variety but a similiar looking poisonous variety, seeing as how seizures is a symptom of shroom poisoning. Perhaps someone picked the shrooms and made a mistake or just added other shrooms for weight. Has anyone else experienced this on shrooms or any other psychedelics?
Thanks for the responses.

i would also like to know more on this subject
my girlfriend had a reaction to shrooms like this last weekend (2nd time... a little less tha an eigth of P. Cubensis), i was the only person that thought it wasnt somthing that is normal... but a few of my friends said they had seen it before.

okay,
i have posted a couple of times on the shroomery about this issue, as have others.
one time shrooming, quite early in my shrooming career. my friend, my bro and i.
my friend and i were hanging out when we heard a bang. i went inside to discover my brother had passed out and cut himself quite bad. he can't remember why or how. when i saw this i had a couple of seizures, next to my brother then went out to my friend and dropped in front of him and had another one. brief (eyes rolling into head, body at contorted angles). i also started tripping really hard again. i was fine until i saw my brother bleeding quite badly (among other things). i could never work out why he passed out. on the shroomery it was recommended low blood sugar. one common theme in all of this tho is the pot smoking. i have no psy. problems, my friend however (who did not seizure) developed some after this quite intense trip. my bro is fine also (but not too keen on shrooms).
my bro may have passed out also because the he had fresh homegrown mushrooms which may have been rotting a small bit. that is another guess. anyway just be aware that it can happen. im my case tho it wasnt related to an underlying condition, rather being scared the shit out of, by my brother. others have also spoken of passing out in really intense shroom situations. for e.g. seeing someone shot in a 'real life' video downloaded of the internet. muff i think its called.
hmm

My Girlfriend and i took 3-4 grams this weekend and she had taken them before. this time she had an amazing trip but then when we were getting ready to leave at like 4 in the morning, she had come down and she passed out,fell, hit her head and i had to shake her and slap her for like a couple minutes before she came too. She said she all of a sudden got a rush like a whippet(we have not done them for 2-3 weeks) this was scary and makes me not want to eat them again. Peace

That happened to a girl i know, she took a 1/16 of an ounce and went into convulsions. She hit her jaw on something and broke it. She told the doctor what happened and he said it was probably an allergic reaction.
I've also heard about a guy going into seizures while hippy flipping, but I think he actually had a history of epilepsy.

psychedelics causing fits, seizures?

anyone hear of this happening before? i have seen it happend and the person was perfectly fine afterwards. just wondering what could be behind it.. answers much appreciated just wondering if anyone been in this situation before?

[Mushrooms Subthread] Seizures & Blackouts

anyone hear of this happening before? i have seen it happend and the person was perfectly fine afterwards. just wondering what could be behind it.. answers much appreciated just wondering if anyone been in this situation before?

i've read about that multiple times here on bluelight. psychedelics do lower the seizure threshold a bit. apperently mushrooms are more likely to give you a seizure as i have read more reports of seizures with mushrooms involved than whith any other psychedelic, but it could just be coincidence…

i've read about that multiple times here on bluelight. psychedelics do lower the seizure threshold a bit. apperently mushrooms are more likely to give you a seizure as i have read more reports of seizures with mushrooms involved than whith any other psychedelic, but it could just be coincidence…

a friend of mine has had a seizure from ingesting mushrooms twice.
Another had a seizure the day fter excessive drug use (psychedelics included)

Seizures are reported in infants and young children (<2 years old) after accidental ingestion of psilocybin mushrooms

Seizures are reported in infants and young children (<2 years old) after accidental ingestion of psilocybin mushrooms

I have had something close to a seizure on a high dose of DPT (smoked)

severe shaking and tremors

I've seen a friend have a mild seizure after smoking 5-meo-DMT

that stuff is powerful though, no doubt it could send you into a seizure

I'm not sure the mechanism underpinning this, if its the 'normal seizure mechanism'

probably are lots of different ways to make a brain seize up

This has been known to happen in people who have pre-existing seizure disorders or are overdoing it, taking too many drugs at once, taking drugs that lower the seizure threshhold, or not taking good care of themselves (sleep, food, hydration, etc.) Therefore psychedelics could be considered to be contraindicated for these people. Psychedelics causing seizures without any extenuating circumstances is a very rare occurance if that.

This has been known to happen in people who have pre-existing seizure disorders or are overdoing it, taking too many drugs at once, taking drugs that lower the seizure threshhold, or not taking good care of themselves (sleep, food, hydration, etc.) Therefore psychedelics could be considered to be contraindicated for these people. Psychedelics causing seizures without any extenuating circumstances is a very rare occurance if that.

I don't think it's anything to do with psychedelics "lowering the seizure threshold". In most cases it will just be panic attacks brought on by stress at being unable to cope with the trip.

The following are some examples of Non-Epileptic Seizures with a psychological cause.

Panic attacks
Panic attacks can occur in frightening situations or when remembering previous frightening experiences. They can also happen in situations that are expected to be distressing. Panic attacks can be very upsetting for the person having them. They may feel very anxious or frightened as the panic attack starts.

The physical effects of these attacks may include having difficulty breathing, sweating, palpitations (being able to feel your heartbeat) and trembling. The person may also lose consciousness and may have convulsions.

Over time panic attacks may happen even if the person is not in a frightening situation.

Cut off or avoidance attacks
This type of attack happens when a person finds it difficult to cope in a very stressful or emotionally difficult situation. This is more likely to happen when a person does not feel able to say they are finding it hard to cope. As with panic attacks, over time this might even happen in situations that are not stressful.