Bluelighter Reading List

Anybody else ever read anything by Tom Robbins (Jitterbug Perfume, Skinny Legs and All, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues, Another Roadside Attraction)
His style abseloutely blows my mind.
I've said it before, but Salman Rushdie makes me wet when I read his stuff. The Ground Beneath Her Feet is my favorite, but Midnight's Children is probably his best known.
Has anyone ever read a book by Salinger which was like a On The Road minus the drugs. A friend was telling me about it and I can't remember what it was called.
Also, on the topic of Huxley, I completely forgot about Island, which imo is better than Brave New World. Its about a utopian commune island somewhere in the South Pacific.
Whhooeee, I'm going to turn this shit off and read.

Well off the top of my desk...
Survivor - CHuck Palahniuk
American Psycho - Ellis
On the Road - Kerouac
Naked Lunch - Burroughs
The Art of War - SUn Tzu
The Beach - Alex Garland
Ecstasy - Welsh
Less than Zero - Ellis
A Clockwork Orange - Burgess
Requiem for a Dream - Hubert Selby
Fight Club - Palahniuk
Watership Down

-Watership Down is a must
-anything by Tom Robbins (good call Yesterday)
-White Noise, by Don Delillo (Curious Yellow - I love that one too!)
-Red Earth and Pouring Rain, by Vikram Chandra
-a minimum of three religions texts, such as Tao te Ching, the christian bible, the Quran, etc. (these just happen to be a few of the ones i have on my shelves)
-Prozac Nation, by Elizabeth Wurtzel (sp?)
-the chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis
-The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
-Dune
-Ender's Game
-god america i, by ee cummings (short poem, but more powerful than most books I've ever read)
-Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand
-any or all of the unedited diares of Anais Nin
-Philosophy on Ethics, Michele Foucault
-the Dark Tower series, by Stephen King
There are about a hundred more, but these are the first I could think of from my 'main' bookshelves.

Fast Food Nation You will never want to eat fast food again.

heheh might as well throw my two cents in..
Go ask Alice for sure (i heard rumors the author eventually came out and admitted it was a work of fiction)
LSD: my problem child (albert hoffman)
PIHKAL/TIHKAL
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
Ender's game (the whole series was good, but EG is the best)
Hyperion is good
thats all for now, if i think of more i'll put em up there

Yesterday: the latest update on the books, according to his web site:
-September 2003 for book five
-November 2003 for book six
-March 2004 for book seven, supposedly the last due to his retirement

As chessy as it sounds the Harry Potter book series is actually really good. Anything by Steven King is great reading, and the Left Behind Series by Tim LaHaye & Jerry B. Jenkins are quite interesting also.
I almost forgot.. the 3 book series by David Peltzer(spelling may be off)are by far the best 3 non-fictional books I have ever read.
[ 17 November 2002: Message edited by: Butterfly_096 ]

Since Oopszies blew my mind with "Bridge to Terabithia", which I haven't thought about in years (but will now reread soon!)...
"Johnny Tremain" by Esther Forbes
"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell - this book will free a part of your soul, if you'll let it. :)
[ 17 November 2002: Message edited by: Dagny ]

~White Noise - Don DeLillo (great insight into petty problems that we as humans concern ourselves with)
~Self-Help - Lorrie Moore (good parody of those stupid self-help books)
~A Clockwork Orange - Burgess
~Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
~The Tao of Physics - Fritjof Capra (Mysticism and Science, pretty cool stuff)

not exactly a litarary great but I always like Bret Easton Ellis' rules of attraction.

Naseau by Jean-Paul Sartre....for all those with existential yearnings out there........
Well yes, but it's actually Nausea. Good call though, but not as good a read as his Roads to Freedom trilogy: The Age Of Reason, The Reprieve and Iron In The Soul. Philosophy, history, genius.
By way of contrast, some of the greatest short stories ever written can be found in the collection published as Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges. Trippier than LSD!

Hrm! I don't think this thread was meant to be a general reading list compiled by Bluelighters, but rather the perfect reading list for a 'Bluelighter'.
Since I find the question quite interesting (and am indeed dissapointed it has been taken wrongly) I'm just gonna answer it like that.
It should probably include all the drugs books then.
What else is certainly debateable-> Politics, Philosophy, Spirituality? Religion?
'Tihkal (just kidding)' - wtf do you mean kidding, this should probably be one of the most important books for a bluelighter!

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
i'm a big fan of iain banks. few of my US friends have heard of him - does anybody here know his work? not really a fan of his alter ego iain m. banks.
my favourite book of all is 'The Bridge'.
alasdair

The Drifters - James Mitchner
This book takes a while to get through, but it is a very important book. Everyone should read it...

Originally posted by alasdairm:
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
i'm a big fan of iain banks. few of my US friends have heard of him - does anybody here know his work? not really a fan of his alter ego iain m. banks.
my favourite book of all is 'The Bridge'.
alasdair

Oh god yes. That's Iain's best IMHO though Walking on Glass and Complicity are good too. But TWF has some of the darkest of dark humour in it. There is one moment in the book that truly freaked me out - the scene with the brother and the baby at the hospital (no spoiler sorry). If you've read it, you know the scene. Very unsettling. And the ending is well worth the wait.
Also Mario Puzo - The Godfather. There's a ton of stuff not in the movies. Brilliant.

geek love by katherine dunn
i started reading it yesterday and i haven't been able to put it down since (except to BL ;) )

fear and loathing in los vegas.
Songs of the doomed.
actuly anything by the good Doctor.
the hoe
and cult of the dead cow
yeah, i know my list is kinda lame, however, im going to add more..
oh yeah, and the first chapter of kevin mitnick's book is a good read also.