• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

RIP Charlie Clean

doctors are cunts like that though, they always give people more time than they actually have. my father went to the doctor (which he was loathe to do) complaining of terrible pain in his throat that had persisted for days, doctor couldnt find anything wrong with his throat so sent him home and later on actually contacted and asked my mother whether she thought the old man was making it up lol - he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer a few months later. translocal pain is something they teach in basic med school. examining a guy not four months for the world and his expert opinion was that this person was making u stories. doctors are fucked up, i bet there are quite a few shipman-types out there practicing right now

I have to somewhat disagree with the "they always give people more time than they actually have" part. Is not really summat I'm interested in discussing in general, but somebody very close to me is in the process of dying from cancer at the moment. She was given 3-6 months max. Just over 18 months ago. She's doing great at the moment. Considering. She also beat cancer into remission over a decade ago when the docs gave her no chance at all. Was a very rare form of cancer. Only four cases in the world. I see this as an advantage cos it gives hope that the docs really don't know what they're talking about. Real fukker is that she was given the all clear a couple years back. By the time it was spotted that she was actually riddled with cancers in several major organs it was too late to do much but hope for the best. Doctors can be cunts, they can be incompetant, they can be saviours. They are human after all.

That aside, the treatment suggested by Charlie's conversations with SHM above sounds like a fukkin disgrace :|

Whatever happened to the Brompton Cocktail :\

No :(:( For fucks sake, not another one :(

Mr Clean, you had a great username and made great posts. Rest in peace, I hope you're in a good place now. Have fun at the party in the sky.

agreed shambles, still.. whether saviour or scrimshank, most doctor i meet leave me cold. its even - shamefully - become something i say when arguing with other half.. youre so fucking cold, youll make a great doctor etc. so its almost a truism for me

I couldn't believe it when I saw this thread title. I had no idea that he was ill.
I loved reading his posts as he had so much knowledge and I exchanged a few pm's with him when I was having trouble with me DSP and he gave me great info which really helped me know my rights and it got my problem sorted.
You always knew when you saw his name that his post was going to be an interesting one to read.
I liked how in the heroin thread he would try to stop us saying we were 'clean' as it implied we were dirty while using still.
One man I will certainly miss on here, such a shame indeed.
R.I.P Charlie Clean.

Charlie wanted us to keep shouting the message from the rooftops......

.....Charlie was 'treated' at Addenbrookes in Cambridge and had a lot to say about that particular hospital. In fact, given a different personality and more time he wanted to sue the hospital. He had scans of all sorts misread for a year and was only diagnosed 5 weeks before death. And he didn't think his treatment was without prejudice. Charlie was a smoker, 60 Dunhill a day for 40 years, and his cancer fell very much into the 'blameable cancer' category as far as medicine was concerned. Both he, and I, and hopefully all of you will be suitably appalled that he did not get the treatment he deserved. It seems morphine is not a given anymore for terminal cancer patients and that is a disgusting state of affairs....

....I feel I've mad a really shit job of this post and I'm sorry. It's hard to type through tears. I just wanted to reflect on those of you who are saying the right things and to remind you, through Charlie's words, of the importance of keeping on saying them.

It ain't the junk that makes us creep. You've got to keep shouting it from the rooftops. For Charlie. For yourselves. For us all.
I can fully appreciate him not wanting to speak of it at all...
But fuck yes > It's likely that he was banded into the - as you say - blameful cancer - category. And that's absolutely fucking sickening :(
I am definitely appalled mate.

And you most certainly did not make a shit job of a post (or any for that matter) SHM!
It was beautiful, thoughtful and lovely man. And the fact that you were able to produce such a post about him speaks so much, that the stuff you don't speak of - the silence inside you could ever express - means so much more. And I know it's in your head my friend <3

I wish I could have gotten to know him more than just the odd banter on here and the few PMs we exchanged.
This is really selfish, but I hope that he liked me - But purely because he was such a wonderful character and to be in his "good books" meant a really massive great deal to me.

Urg.... I'm rambling... Just fuckin <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where did my post go? I think i said OH BLOODY 'ELL, JUST SEEN THIS..........he was a wise one R.I.P.

Thats fucking sad man- we had quite a number of 'post conversations' , a really nice fella didnt know he was so ill. Its been a bad few months on here, stay safe folks
B

its a shame actually, as i was considering making a thread for charlie to expound on his experiences in the american music scene - which quite simply, from the scraps i had garnered - seemed epic & bookworthy. unfortunately, it appears during my hiatus from bl while finally managing to lose my habit - the consequent upturn in my own quality of life coincided with the decline in health of cc's. thus, i never saw him around enough to make that thread worthwhile. if anyone knows of posts where he may have gone into his experiences in the proto-music scenes... id appreciate a link

im also reminded of the savile thread, where (quite obviously) strong opinions were flowing back and forth. cc certainly held his own, vehemently stating his beliefs.. though they ran counter to the majority's. the flak flied.. charlie stood his ground. wouldve been easy for him to deftly avoid the subject, not risk attracting ire - but he kept it real

BHM disarms with charm

as did you charlie, as did you <3

its another sad lose for bl charlie was a big support for alot of people on this site myself included...he was such a clever man with so much knowlage it kills me to think he was still discrimanted in his final weeks of his life am just so shocked the now :|

RIP CC

:( ah gutted, another sad loss for the board :(

Condolences to all, only just saw this. Bummer.

I think that when doctors make predictions about a persons life expectancy, they are are more or less like Charlie trying to unravel the logic of the formbook, there are no certaincys in it, but if he or any other man or any other woman are denied pallative care by a doctor, said medico wants dragging down a laneway and kneecapping with a nail gun so they can truly value the currency of pain, so help me god.

Very sad news, all the more so to hear he and others are denied painkillers in the last few weeks of life. :( It makes no sense.

I didn't always agree with what Charlie said, though more often than not I did, and he was always thoughtful about what he said and it came from experience. Time reading his posts was never wasted time.

I didn't agree with everything Charlie said either but everything he did say amused me, I loved his willful archaicisms, like calling a doctor a croaker, irony indeed, irony again that he lived through a life long addiction to illegal drugs only to die from a legal one, I looked through some of his last posts, which must have been made in a post diagnosis period, where he says he feels sorry for Malaga for getting dumped from the CL, an iron man.

I didn't agree with everything Charlie said either but everything he did say amused me, I loved his willful archaicisms, like calling a doctor a croaker, irony indeed, irony again that he lived through a life long addiction to illegal drugs only to die from a legal one, I looked through some of his last posts, which must have been made in a post diagnosis period, where he says he feels sorry for Malaga for getting dumped from the CL, an iron man.

I remember that Malaga post well cos i responded to it in a typically Bullish way . I was thinking about it over the weekend as it was probably the last response to one of CC's posts i gave i wasn't in agreement with him at all .

Felt bad about it for about a minute . I'm sure he didn't mind . He would rather me speak my mind & give an honest opinion than just tow the line that's for sure .

My heart literally sank reading this thread title. Probably the most creative BL poster there has been and, like others have said, we should collect his writing together if possible.

All the best Charlie Clean, make the next world all the brighter with your presence.

RIP.<3

RIP Charlie. You will be missed (even by mostly lurkers). I also would like to read collections of previous wisdoms of cc (not to mention from other recently passed BL residents...)