• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

RIP Charlie Clean

I can scarcely believe this...
Fuck man, I knew nothing of his illness, but I guess that's how he wanted it to be, for only a few to know.

Much love to him <3 Rest Peacefully <3 And much love and my sincerest condolences to all who knew him, his friends and ofcourse his family <3

Damn... It almost feels like we're doing something wrong here on BL... So many wonderful people leaving us far, far too soon :(

I didn't know him very well personally, but he always made brilliant contributions to EADD. Always very smart and livened up any conversation. His chat'll be missed.
RIP. <3

RIP charlie :(

Always read charlies posts, even if they didn't always make perfect sense to me.

brimz said:
R.I.P Charlie Clean / Derek DJ

He wasn't DJ Derek? The ska DJ? I never realised. Even more reason to miss him.

The world will be a poorer place. :(

Always think it would be nice if he could've got to read how much everyone liked him before he went. God bless Charlie.

What a sad loss for all his family, friends and the people who's lives were touched by him, many of whom are here. He made a difference, has left his marks and will be remembered for that and more.

I was fortunate enough to have touched base with Charlie by pm on many occasions, he was wise, knowledgeable and could see through many of us. I respected him greatly. Just wish I could have said goodbye.

<3

Yet another who's passing has affected me more deeply than the death of some people I've known in real life!! How can that be?

A true legend in his own lunchtime..

Live long, and prosper in eternity Charlie, <3

Charlie was from Newmarket way AFAIK and he was a fine judge of horseflesh, so I dont think he was the Ska DJ, he was my favourite poster on here, he had a forensic mind, he was erudite yet he wore his learning lightly but man oh man could he tell a story.

RIP

Charlie Clean

The last of the raconteurs
To ease your passing
I hope they gave you
Pharm grade smack
Til the stuff came out your ears.

^ gannett, I was just thinking when i saw this how he liked his horses. This is very sad. peace out charlie clean. sleep tite :)

Eh, what awful, sad, sad news. :(

Charlie Clean was one classy motherfucker. Classy doesn't remotely cover it really. The Charlie Watts of EADD. The most informative, knowledgeable, insightful personality on the forum imo. Always a total pleasure to read. One of those guys who's presence was both engaging and reassuring at the same time. I doubt there's a poster on the forum who didn't warm to Charlie in some way.

Awful news. He'll be hugely missed.

RIP Charlie <3

Oh god damn that is awful :(

His posts were some of the most cleverly written on the board, used to enjoy reading them particularly last year when I was occasionally lurking more.

Didn't know the guy but from his posts seemed like a good guy, certainly had a way with words.

RIP

fiercely intelligent and yet incredibly modest. eadd truly is the poorer for this. rip charlie

Indeed.

THe amount of people this guy helped with their scripts & other problems surrounding addiction is amazing . A legend in his own right.

And again, indeed.

Aw, fuck.

Charlie. <3

Sometimes, there is no more one can say.

Fuck. Not Charlie. :(

I don't think there was anyone more "on-message" than he was, cutting through the bullshit with his insightful and incisive postings.

At least he's not suffering anymore. So let's not sit around feeling sorry for ourselves; but instead read his legacy of words, work up a bit of righteous anger and then get out there and finish the job of spreading the harm reduction message. And don't ever let anyone tell you you're less than human.

Nail. Head. Right there.

Charlie's words

All bullshit is reversible; even at a 30 year divide, may still be used against its perpetrators in this form. The art obviously in seeing where reversible, how to turn it back on em. - but, look around, it ain't that hard. And people hear.

Plenty time yet for ya to overthrow the government and lead the sleepwalkers to a new and glorious dawn; surely, complete meltdown of financial system now looks within your lifetime, which will provide you an interesting distraction at least.

Take it slow, come through, keep telling the news.

I can scarcely believe this...
Fuck man, I knew nothing of his illness, but I guess that's how he wanted it to be, for only a few to know.

Much love to him <3 Rest Peacefully <3 And much love and my sincerest condolences to all who knew him, his friends and ofcourse his family <3

What a sad loss for all his family, friends and the people who's lives were touched by him, many of whom are here. He made a difference, has left his marks and will be remembered for that and more.

I was fortunate enough to have touched base with Charlie by pm on many occasions, he was wise, knowledgeable and could see through many of us. I respected him greatly. Just wish I could have said goodbye.

<3

To those of you who regret not being able to say goodbye, I apologize. It was Charlie's wish and I was sworn to secrecy.

Again, Charlie's words.

( for yr info only..no
sentimental shit , 3-6 weeks unless go radiotherapeutic fast, whereby 50% chance of 2-3 relatively functional - and summer - months. No brainer as straight odds call, for all reservations)

This IN TOTAL CONFIDENCE, ok? Not to be passed on to site or members in any way, shape or form.

Trusting you here, G

Always think it would be nice if he could've got to read how much everyone liked him before he went. God bless Charlie.

Charlie knew Ismene. Though aforementioned modesty would have kept him from caring. We don't really need to be liked. Though of course it helps. But we need to be heard.

Charlie wanted us to keep shouting the message from the rooftops.

Charlie was from Newmarket way AFAIK and he was a fine judge of horseflesh, so I dont think he was the Ska DJ, he was my favourite poster on here, he had a forensic mind, he was erudite yet he wore his learning lightly but man oh man could he tell a story.

RIP

Charlie Clean

The last of the raconteurs
To ease your passing
I hope they gave you
Pharm grade smack
Til the stuff came out your ears.

=D

Nice.

And I bet they did too.

Unfortunately they didn't.

Charlie again

on the ward, I watched decent old men screaming their last days away cos docs too scared to give the one drug that 'd allow them a lil peace. Madness.

Charlie was 'treated' at Addenbrookes in Cambridge and had a lot to say about that particular hospital. In fact, given a different personality and more time he wanted to sue the hospital. He had scans of all sorts misread for a year and was only diagnosed 5 weeks before death. And he didn't think his treatment was without prejudice. Charlie was a smoker, 60 Dunhill a day for 40 years, and his cancer fell very much into the 'blameable cancer' category as far as medicine was concerned. Both he, and I, and hopefully all of you will be suitably appalled that he did not get the treatment he deserved. It seems morphine is not a given anymore for terminal cancer patients and that is a disgusting state of affairs.

Charlie's last words to me

Our house only detached one on street still council owned - principle!

Ex wife spent decade in Venezuela + mysterious period in Columbia. ***********

But stories ll have to wait for better state. Insistence on walking on steroid swollen legs leave feet like raw meat & i on massive antibiotics to battle infection risk.

Without morbidity, can you dispatch email address so good pal A***** can notify you when time up. Hopefully ll be months but feel so shite at mo, well, y'know..I'll leave it to you to make appropriate noise on site after I can no longer read it.

I'll doubtless feel better soon but, man, again all problems down to treatment not disease, what de fuck?

Love and peace,

Oh Derek. <3

I feel I've mad a really shit job of this post and I'm sorry. It's hard to type through tears. I just wanted to reflect on those of you who are saying the right things and to remind you, through Charlie's words, of the importance of keeping on saying them.

It ain't the junk that makes us creep. You've got to keep shouting it from the rooftops. For Charlie. For yourselves. For us all.

I cant believe this. I've always admired Charlies wit and intellect; his posts were a joy to read and absolute literature in truth. EADD has suffered a monumental loss.

He wasn't DJ Derek? The ska DJ? I never realised. Even more reason to miss him.

The world will be a poorer place. :(

No he wasn't.

That is just another of his handles that he used on the Methadone Aliance site . His real name i believe .

for 99% of bluelight i would say let it be, but as has been mentioned.. nobody else was ever quite as ontopic, indiscriminate and worldly wise with his posts. perhaps shambles' idea of collating charlie's advice is something to be considered. and a more permenant memorial than an rip thread? id read it, anyhow

just a thought

Totally shite news. Charlie Clean's posts were always witty and insightful. True wisdom for the wise. Was an honour sir. RIP