Bluelight

Thread: FDA blocks generic version of crushable OxyContin

1. Collapse Details
    FDA blocks generic version of crushable OxyContin 
    Drugs in the Media
    "Darkness cannot be dissipated with more darkness. More darkness will make darkness thicker. Only light can dissipate darkness. Violence and hatred cannot be removed with violence and hatred." - Thich Nhat Hanh
    Capsule
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has blocked generic drug manufacturers from producing versions of the old crushable form of OxyContin that was widely abused across the nation a decision applauded by politicians and law enforcement.

"The FDA will not approve any generics to the original formulation of OxyContin," said FDA spokeswoman Morgan Liscinsky, adding that there are no FDA-approved generics of OxyContin on the market now.

Manufacturer Purdue Pharma's patent on the original drug was set to expire Tuesday, and activists, lawmakers and doctors worried that cheaper, easily crushable generic versions would flood Kentucky and exacerbate the state's already devastating drug-abuse problem.

cont at
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ontin/2089325/

2. Collapse Details

I wished with all my heart that we could just...leave this world behind. Rise like two angels in the night and magically...disappear.
    Sad day.

3. Collapse Details

Aww shit...

4. Collapse Details

Now perdue can keep raking in billions until the new patent runs out! Good to see the FDA protecting corporate interests.

5. Collapse Details

All this does is divert more people to heroin...

Docs arent going to really hand you IR formulas for shit...

6. Collapse Details

so why can't a generic drug maker put together a tamper-proof pill?

Out, vild jelly! Just wanted to say that.

7. Collapse Details

Not very surprised about that...god do i miss being about ten years younger and getting 100ct bottles of 40s for ten cents per mg. Peeling the skin and slicing it up ussing a razor and rackin up line after line. To this day the taste and drip of those pills is tattood in my brain just like dope in a needle.

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I don't know much about what I'm going to say, but it's a thought that just came to me, and hopefully one of you can answer this for me.

"The FDA will not approve any generics to the original formulation of OxyContin,"

Couldn't the pharmaceutical companies that want to make the generics, just use the "trick" that the chemists are using with bath salts and other 'legal highs?'
    Like adding some other 'chemical' (probably not the right word here so don't freak out on me you intelligent chemistry BLers lol) onto the structure that technically makes it 'different' from the 'original formulation of OxyContin?' Of course the 'chemical' would have to be something that wouldn't do harm, or have any other effects/change the effects of oxycodone, or just have no effect at all on the drug?

I'm probably wrong about this, but I just thought I'd ask.

9. Collapse Details

^that's what I was saying too. Can't they just throw a different polymer into the matrix?

10. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    is this just for OxyContin or IR versions also, percocets, oxycodone 15 and 30s etc.

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by 23536 View Post
    ^that's what I was saying too. Can't they just throw a different polymer into the matrix?
    Great minds think alike!

And to the poster above me. From what I can tell from the article, it is just for Oxycontin. It seems to explicitly state the Purdue company over and over again. As far as I know Purdue doesn't make Percocets, Endo Pharmaceuticals does. Hope that answers your question.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 23536 View Post
    That is what they are requiring them to do-- mimic the OP formulation