• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

WORK SUCKS: Talk About Your Job

I am not working and couldn't tell you with accuracy the last time I had a job (well over 10 years ago). Went back to school a few years back and finally finished a degree that I started many moons ago, which feels good. I do wish I would have focused my studies in a more challenging area but I was so scattered brained when I started back up. Currently, I have no idea what I want to do. Been thinking about a couple masters programs and I have also been considering getting another bachelors in some kind of engineering capacity. I don't know and I don't really care (problem 1).

The problem is I hate work. That is such a bad attitude to have and it holds me back (problem 2). A friend has offered me a job making good money with minimal effort and I am dragging my heels on that because I don't want to commit. I need something to occupy my time though because too much time tends to get me in trouble and hobbies only go so far before they get boring. Also been thinking about volunteering at a local food bank so I can feel like I am doing something. That's another another problem (#3), I am thinking about it doing stuff but not actually doing it.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Good luck! I hope you can find something that motivates you.

Generally not. But recently graduated physicians in their residency do. Engineers with a good gig do. I was not strictly saying "students" I was saying to avoid cleaning toilets, go to school for something in the STEM field. After school, you have actual, useful knowledge that is in demand and brings in good money. You get job that pays you enough to buy a Maserati and have a condo downtown.

Vs not going to school or going into the arts/humanities, where you work at Starbucks forever more.

I could live with working at star bucks, rooming with someone. Go to work , come home smoke some bowls chill out etc.
I am not a high maintenance person at all, when i was working i had an ass load of extra cash(no bills) and barely spent any of it. Money isn't everything, but yea i should find some area of study i like for the future...
Ah decisions decisions.

LOL I love this! This is almost exactly what my boyfriend and I want / have planned. Obviously we both aren't doing STEM work, but we both have good jobs, don't plan on having kids, and want to keep having fun for a long time!

And I would loooooove to have a condo downtown with the lakeview ... would be amazing ... expensive but amazing! (Eh, without kids, easier to afford it!!)

I hate how many people think that you need kids, a family, etc. to be successful. Many people do not have kids ... or should not have kids. (Sorry, this is going a bit further than education and careers, but I feel like having kids would totally ruin my career!) I respect that other people have kids and are great with kids, and we do need kids to keep the generations going, but that is NOT my thing. I'd rather be focused on my career and my life than kids. :p

What do you do for work btw, just trying to get some ideas as i am in a rutt : (

i do cable TV now, in the morning we load 5,000ft wheels of strand(a twist of stainless steel thick wires) feeder, trunk, and fiberoptics (the black like you see from telephone poles to telephone poles and houses). we set up the wheels going one direction, and come back lashing it up with this mechanism called a lasher. Also we sometimes have to climb telephone poles (or do it because we have an audience) for work,usually we can reach the shit using the boom from the work truck.
it pays good, and i get to travel all over.

It's really heartening to hear that there are people out there who enjoy their work/work environment. I've always been very nervous & afraid that I would end up hating my job, like the protagonists in all those movies/shows set in dystopian corporate cubicle worlds or that game <snip link>. I'm just about to get out of school.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
my work dropped off hours abruptly because events dropped off and it all depends on events. tomorrow i'm going to apply to be a "door person" basically a bouncer but i'm going to be straight up with them and just tell em this city doesn't scare me and i work better at a job like this. i mean i know this bar and it's all artfag weekend warriors and i have have no fucking problem being a working girl in front of those tard ass trustafarians and i have no fear checking IDs and being a bitch.

my work dropped off hours abruptly because events dropped off and it all depends on events. tomorrow i'm going to apply to be a "door person" basically a bouncer but i'm going to be straight up with them and just tell em this city doesn't scare me and i work better at a job like this. i mean i know this bar and it's all artfag weekend warriors and i have have no fucking problem being a working girl in front of those tard ass trustafarians and i have no fear checking IDs and being a bitch.

Yeah!

^me too.

i only wish i was paid more to do what i do. sydney is too damn expensive.

i figured there had to be a thread like this. man, i just checked my work inbox and have an email from our president at 5:01pm saying that one of my favorite coworkers "resigned" today. this girl was all smiles earlier in the day. fucking sucks. she's of course got kids and all that. this is not at all a cutthroat company; employees work hard because they love the (nonprofit) mission. including her. i think. it was officially announced -- a lot of people, including myself, already knew -- yesterday that another employee is promoted into a new position effective monday. she was previously supervised by the fired employee -- who was not amongst those who knew about the promotion before it was announced. rough.

i figured there had to be a thread like this. man, i just checked my work inbox and have an email from our president at 5:01pm saying that one of my favorite coworkers "resigned" today. this girl was all smiles earlier in the day. fucking sucks. she's of course got kids and all that. this is not at all a cutthroat company; employees work hard because they love the (nonprofit) mission. including her. i think. it was officially announced -- a lot of people, including myself, already knew -- yesterday that another employee is promoted into a new position effective monday. she was previously supervised by the fired employee -- who was not amongst those who knew about the promotion before it was announced. rough.

That's brutal!

We recently had a "house cleaning" at my work. Well, actually it continues to happen. I'm so scared for when they get to my department. They have fired all sorts of managers, directors, etc. ... luckily I'm not that high up nor do I have a high salary so I should be fine. Still. It's scary.

You should be fine, Llama. Like you said, companies start at the top when they lay people off.

all I do at my job is either stand at a cash register and bag up people's alcohol, or pick cases from the storage room and place bottles on the shelves. It's made me real smooth with my hands though, I actually started juggling boxcutters one day and it went surprisingly well. I've always been good with hands-on work though, and when you bag someone's shit up before they even pull their wallet out you get a lot of double takes tbh.

I can't say it's really a great job though, as I don't drink alcohol at all. I know enough about it by this point to bullshit my way out of questions, but there's no limit to the amount of shit people expect you to know

"oh you mean you haven't tried every single bottle in the store? don't you work here?"

either once or usually twice a week I'll go in pretty early in the morning and unload a truck full of cases of alcohol. That would probably suck if I was a huge pussy but it's not bad getting out by 2pm.

best part of the job though, just seeing the cross-section of society that is a liquor store. It's amazing how ashamed some people are of even being in the store.

"Oh it's a birthday gift for my aunt"

yeah, and she's gonna be famous because she's had 8 birthdays in the past 3 days

Haha their aunt sounds incredible, wish I had that many birthdays :D

My job is great. It's pretty much like "The Lounge." It's great being able to work with people you can troll and will troll you worse in return!

F
U
C
K

W
O
R
K

co workers giving me weird looks or talking shit and its the 2nd week still havent got paid
if only god was real to strike these fuckers down with lightning

man, the idea of being fired gives me constant anxiety. i'm somewhat sure it's completely unjustified.

i've been off for so many days. and drank through them all. i'm even drunk right now. which means next thing i know, i am going to be waking up tomorrow morning for work. just a blur. even though it's only a couple weeks until i have a bunch of PTO around xmas, it's not like i can keep my head down until then. it's crunch time. fuck. thank benzos.

I was so tired at work last night, I was falling asleep while talking to my friends at break. Ugh, I felt horrible. But at the end of the night, I of course, was hyper and it took me a bit to fall asleep when I got home.