• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

WORK SUCKS: Talk About Your Job

Yeah, the heat can be brutal. We've been starting to feel it a little bit over here, too. Mainly, though, we've been getting rain. But once the heat actually starts...

D's, sucks about your coworker leaving you behind! It REALLY sucks that you're stuck doing boring stuff at the motel, especially if you won't get paid. Hope things get better!

Hell yes, I've just graduated Medicine!

Well the title says it all.

Just wanted to share with you guys!:)

Congrats. Still no nobler profession in my book. I still think about doing it and I am nearly middle aged.

I'm a poor student but fortunately I live in a city full of international students... I speak English better than my mother tongue, and academic writing has always been my strongest skill, so I've found a bit of work as a freelance proofreader/editor. Keeps me busy as hell, though, because obviously the time people need their Master or Bachelor theses checked is around the time I've got my end-of-year exams and my own thesis.

I finished my thesis a few weeks ago though, and I'm pretty damn happy with it - in terms of my dedication to it, and how it turned out. %)

Next stop: Master's degree!

So what's your thesis on? What will your Master's degree be in?

Putting in my two weeks tommorow, i even hand wrote a sweet letter telling bossman n his wife that i love them both and will never forget the good and the bad times we have had together , and explained that a close friens/lineman god has come to town and actully called ME asking if i want to fucking go to work(and when he said work he ment linework,not fucking sanding and painting trailers bullshit) he ment building support strand and fiber And coax,along with how to read the makereadys(where to drill a hole) and the actual maps(where line A intercepts lineB(but the kicker is sometimes line a and b are undergrohnd so have to know what to do. And tbh i am not using all my talents at where in at now, i want to learn EVERYFUCKING THING about this shit because i can honestly say that in 10 years i will be either running the show somewhere or owning my own cable company. I have to learn more..and not getting that where im at now ;(, thats y i hate saying goodbye,but check if, i wrote a sweet resignation letter, and will still b an employee for 2 weeks so its not like i left em high n dry , if boss doesn't respect that shit then im leaving tommorow.

Smart man. Stay on good terms. I hated my last job but I was still sweet to everyone when I quit, "oh i'm gonna miss you, i learned so much, blah blah blah"

So I need some advice about work . So my question is I think I'm getting mild depression from work! The reasoning I work In the oli feild 12+ hours a day with a bunch of guys. An I only get 2 hours a day of free time to spend with my family/friends! I'm only 23 an fill that I'm going to work my life a way an not have time for my self of my family/friends. An my weekends I have to get things done that I didn't have time to do during the week.

So what should I do? Change jobs?

congrat's D's!

people keep on fucking up on what my boss does. the new guy said, "your in charge of fundraising, right?" "well, i'm the director of external relations." silly man. but i did the same when she started. during the hiring process, they kept changing what the title of that position was going to be. it took them forever; her position was supposed to filled before mine and i'd been working there for a little over two months. her first day, i wasn't sure what title they'd landed on. i got it wrong and she let me know. it's clear that they presented her the position, it was too development focused, she negotiated for more responsibility and won. i like her because she's competitive and razor-like in the sweetest way. "well..." my biggest complaint about working nonprofit is many of my coworkers are not career hungry. many of them are, and more so in my department, but still. some people in the office just do what they do and that's that. they haven't perfected anything. they get stale.

My thesis is on international law. Master's I haven't settled on yet, I applied to a few programmes.

Good luck!

Putting in my two weeks tommorow, i even hand wrote a sweet letter telling bossman n his wife that i love them both and will never forget the good and the bad times we have had together , and explained that a close friens/lineman god has come to town and actully called ME asking if i want to fucking go to work(and when he said work he ment linework,not fucking sanding and painting trailers bullshit) he ment building support strand and fiber And coax,along with how to read the makereadys(where to drill a hole) and the actual maps(where line A intercepts lineB(but the kicker is sometimes line a and b are undergrohnd so have to know what to do. And tbh i am not using all my talents at where in at now, i want to learn EVERYFUCKING THING about this shit because i can honestly say that in 10 years i will be either running the show somewhere or owning my own cable company. I have to learn more..and not getting that where im at now ;(, thats y i hate saying goodbye,but check if, i wrote a sweet resignation letter, and will still b an employee for 2 weeks so its not like i left em high n dry , if boss doesn't respect that shit then im leaving tommorow.

Sounds like a great opportunity! Nice of you to give your two weeks' notice. Best of luck in your new job!

So I need some advice about work . So my question is I think I'm getting mild depression from work! The reasoning I work In the oli feild 12+ hours a day with a bunch of guys. An I only get 2 hours a day of free time to spend with my family/friends! I'm only 23 an fill that I'm going to work my life a way an not have time for my self of my family/friends. An my weekends I have to get things done that I didn't have time to do during the week.

So what should I do? Change jobs?

It's simple, really. Do what makes you happy.

congrat's D's!

people keep on fucking up on what my boss does. the new guy said, "your in charge of fundraising, right?" "well, i'm the director of external relations." silly man. but i did the same when she started. during the hiring process, they kept changing what the title of that position was going to be. it took them forever; her
position was supposed to filled before mine and i'd been working there for a little over two months. her first day, i wasn't sure what title they'd landed on. i got it wrong and she let me know. it's clear that they presented her the position, it was too development focused, she negotiated for more responsibility and won. i like her because she's competitive and razor-like in the sweetest way. "well..." my biggest complaint about working nonprofit is many of my coworkers are not career hungry. many of them are, and more so in my department, but still. some people in the office just do what they do and that's that. they haven't
perfected anything. they get stale.

It's funny you mention people who aren't career hungry. My boss and a fellow co-worker/friend of mine were talking today and they brought up the fact that I should put in for a promotion, that I'd be great at this thing or that thing. I constantly hear this from other co-workers as well, "You should become a manager!"

No way!

"no way" as in you don't want to be a manager?

It's simple, really. Do what makes you happy.
aww.

i had a nightmare about work, which woke me up at like 3am. later in that dream, i wrote our newsletter for this month. when i woke up this morning, i obviously hadn't. what a waste.

tomorrow we go on replicon! about time, but leadership is doing way too much way too fast. this company has been straight paper and pen for attendance records and expense sheets for almost two decades. starting tomorrow, every employee is to electrically log their hours, designating their work's focus down to the half-hour. if an hour meeting is primarily about two programs, we're supposed to put in one half-hour of each. which, because of the way the categories are broken up, is horribly difficult for my position. but i'm not worried about me. a third of my coworkers can't use a computer beyond google and checking their mail. should be interesting.

Work sucks. I was hugging the water cooler all day. Fucked up. Shit its been a rough week. Google fiber..for life