Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

The News Thread v. Your Penises Are Too Large And It's All Our Fault

Legit as far as I can tell. Reads just like a Daily Mash article though

News

Cultured beef - backroll's Google burger - here's the video of today's event

It has no fat which is a big issue, it also looks manufactured. Early days of course.

My favourite bit is when the US food writer - one of the two "unpaid" tasters - gratuitously plugs his book, giving the audience a cynical laugh (19:13), :D he ploughs on anyway. Here I am plugging it again so he gets the last laugh.

Oh there's a google glass wearer asking a question :|

Saw this on the news recently, and was astonished -

Laboratory grown burgers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22885969

The implications of this are tremendous. Apart from doing much good to the environment it could potentially end the suffering of animals who are factory farmed and give vegetarians a chance to eat meat without having to worry about ethical issues -

"In a statement, animal welfare campaigners People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) said: "[Lab-grown meat] will spell the end of lorries full of cows and chickens, abattoirs and factory farming. It will reduce carbon emissions, conserve water and make the food supply safer."

"In a statement, animal welfare campaigners People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) said: "[Lab-grown meat] will spell the end of lorries full of cows and chickens, abattoirs and factory farming. It will reduce carbon emissions, conserve water and make the food supply safer."

Lol, cunts are getting a bit ahead of themselves. It could do all that. It won't though. I want my meat cut from the arse of a dying, screaming animal. The pain adds flavour.

PETA also had some grumpy bullshit on their Twitter feed which was the opposite of the above. Can't find it at the moment (through lack of enough interest in looking harder, possibly).

In other news, video of a FIFTEEN TON lump of fat, wet wipes and sanitary towels which has been found under London.
I thought Julie Burchill had gone quiet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...teen-tonne-fatberg-cloggs-Londons-sewers.html

Nice typo in the headline you illiterate fucks.

I heard they exercise the synthetic meat by giving it electric shocks, call PETA asap.

Lol, cunts are getting a bit ahead of themselves. It could do all that. It won't though. I want my meat cut from the arse of a dying, screaming animal. The pain adds flavour.

Haha, stop playing the fool, foolio.

When someone brings up the subject of animal rights, someone who has done relatively nothing towards their help has to play the clown. In discussing their rights, you are probably a failure who's done nothing... so you will naturally adopt the clown personna because you feel more confident at that role. It's a normal psychological response.

Now, start to pay attention to these real issues, son, lest you forever be the clown.

Haha, stop playing the fool, foolio.

When someone brings up the subject of animal rights, someone who has done relatively nothing towards their help has to play the clown. In discussing their rights, you are probably a failure who's done nothing... so you will naturally adopt the clown personna because you feel more confident at that role. It's a normal psychological response.

Now, start to pay attention to these real issues, son, lest you forever be the clown.
But the alternative is he could be like you instead raas?

Hrnm, that's not really offering much encouragement now is it? Particularly when you're in this mode.

^ The alternative is to become more aware of animal welfare issues and actually do something about it, rather than clown around on serious issues. Who knows, someone may even respect him for it.

Don't think I'm being unfair for telling him off over his facetious comment.

Clown around on serious issues? Cunts are trying to claim that we don't need to kill cows any more because we've got lab beef. That's a load of shite and you know it.

How the fuck do you know how aware of animal welfare issues I am raas? Because I think claims that science steaks will take over from real meat are ludicrous, and I think that real meat is damn tasty, I must be "a failure who's done nothing"? You're a fucking jakey Christian, if any cunt is a failure it's clearly you. Away n get yourself a few cans of Super, drown your sorrows.

Actually what they're claiming is:

(1) in 10 years time, maybe a bit more, they will have a product that they will be able to sell at roughly the current price of farmed beef (and an industrial manufacturing process). It should be of higher quality than what they have now as they are working on adding fat, which I think is essential
(2) the global demand for beef is growing at a rate that will outstrip capacity in the next 20 years (or something).

The reason for (2) is the booming economies of formerly not-so-rich eastern countries. Wealthy people tend to eat meat. Not that they're all getting rich but some of them are.

That's all they're claiming. The rest is hope: (2) means the price of farmed beef will increase for the foreseeable future, so the lab burger should be cheaper than the farm burger. If a farm burger is £2 and a lab burger is 80p but looks and tastes pretty much the same, which would you buy? (I can't answer this as I rarely buy meatburgers, but some people buy a lot)

There is an animal welfare factor and they think some people will choose lab over farm for that reason but I don't think they're naive enough to think that is enough. The scientist who seems to be running the show didn't make explicit the fact that the demand outstripping supply will necessarily mean higher cost, I don't know why, maybe he finds the business side vulgar and prefers to focus on saving cows. He said he knows nothing about marketing.

Last edited:
When I said "Cunts are trying to claim..." I wasn't referring to the people who've made this shit. I was just referring to this quote -

Obviously we all (most of us anyway) know that PETA are idiots.

Well, the PETA claim is a sort of logical conclusion from the other stuff. They don't talk about the more significant reason (cost) probably because they prefer to think about about the less significant one (people can be nice to animals).

It's also hugely exaggerated. OK yes you're right they are wrong, it won't "spell the end" but it should spell a reduction of those things. And maybe, 200 years off, it really will be rare to see farmed beef.

Clown around on serious issues? Cunts are trying to claim that we don't need to kill cows any more because we've got lab beef. That's a load of shite and you know it.

How the fuck do you know how aware of animal welfare issues I am raas? Because I think claims that science steaks will take over from real meat are ludicrous, and I think that real meat is damn tasty, I must be "a failure who's done nothing"? You're a fucking jakey Christian, if any cunt is a failure it's clearly you. Away n get yourself a few cans of Super, drown your sorrows.

Well I think anyone who takes animal rights seriously wouldn't clown around on the issue and make childish comments such as "the pain adds flavour". That was the point I was making. I'm not calling you a life failure; think you've misunderstood me there.

And for the record i'm more of a special brew man when it comes to strong beer.