• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Rectal administraton "plugging" First Time Specifics for an anxious user.

slim_radio

Greenlighter
Hello!

I have often leeched on this forum for advice and I try not to dabble in forums to often so that I don't break rules or receive harsh flaming. So this is a brief pre-apology for any mistakes made.

My situation:

I have been a PRESCRIBED Suboxone film (8mg strip) user for about 8-9 months now. I take a full 8mg strip in the morning as soon as I wake up and a half (4mg) strip before bed. Odd I know.. but I have anxiety and an extreme fear of drugs since a mess I got into when I was younger involving DXM that left me anxious and with heart problems. So when I was prescribed my 2x 8mg strip daily I started out with half a strip a day and actually raised my dosage over time. In hind sight this was very stupid of me and I wish I hadn't because I am much more addicted to bupe now than I ever was to the roxycodone that I took before it. But never the less trusting my doctor yet being afraid that it would be "too strong" I eased myself into the higher strange dose that I am at today. It seems that the 1 single strip puts me right where I need to be throughout most of the day and the half of one at night helps me to sleep (which I have always had trouble with) but I have work so I decided it was a good Idea and it has worked wonders!

The problem: Since I was under-dosing what I was prescribed I was accumulating a lot of "spare" strips and I ran into some financial trouble and found that the street price in my area was rather high.. So I did yet another idiotic thing.. eventually after months of doing that I became too comfortable and when I REALLY needed the money I finally over did it.. Now I have 11 days until I refill and I am left with half a strip (4mg)

Browsing through the threads I found out about "plugging" or rectal consumption. My goal here is to Plug the rest of this 4mg strip to NOT get higher but to remain around the same "level of medication" that I am used to while making the small amount I have left last if only a couple days longer.

So my question is this? What amount of bupe/water do I need to "plug" to get about the same feeling as an oral dose of 8mg(1 strip)? Keep in mind that I am easily frightened and I am already scarred of the process so I don't want to be flying way high and get freaked out. I just want to maintain a little longer.

I read through the Bupe "Mega thread" I believe it was called and found this information:
"intrarectal: 54% "bioavailability of the drug was found to be: [... ]intrarectal (54%)..." "Relative to the 100% bioavailability from the intraarterial route the mean bioavailabilities were [...] intrarectal, 54%...""

While the Oral Bioavailability was at 30% I beleive.. I am terrible with math and am afraid I will dose wrong and either hurt myself of scare the crap out of myself by getting to high not to mention I have work tomorrow and it will be my first time. I need an answer by morning if at all possible.

Again sorry if this is in the wrong place, for how long it was, and for any other mistakes. I am really bad at forums :/

Thanks to any who can help :)

Suboxone: If IR administration is about 60% effective, and oral is about 30%, then IR suboxone would be twice as effective, milligram-for-milligram, and you should start with about half your typical oral dose.
Water: use enough to dissolve the suboxone

If you are worried about over-dosing, you can always take less.

Hi.
I've never seen a buprenorphine strip in my life as we don't have them round here, but recently i've been able to extract buprenorphine from a patch with a 90% ethanol solution. The good thing about making a solution that contains alcohol along your buprenorphine is that the sublingual bioavilability is boosted to somewhere between 60 and 70%. I read some articles stating that a long time ago that but i've not been able to find them now, but you might want to take a look to THIS old Bluelight thread. Being able to maintain sublingual administration might be more practical than plugging. For what i have read an alcoholic beverage with a high content of ethanol (such as vodka and the like) might also suitable if you can't find 90% ethanol.

Please note that i have no idea of how a strip works or what it is made of, but for my patch i just let it sit in the ethanol solution for four days (it was a four-days release patch so i wanted to be sure, but i clearly overkilled it) and then removed it from the solution. I ended up with a theoretical 2mg/ml solution (the patch had 20mg total buprenorphine). I have read of someone else extracting bupe strips with ethanol, so you might want to use the search engine or Google to see if you can find something.

My solution is pretty potent and i'm currently using it to taper my opiate tolerance down, and i just use DROPS of that, they are potent enough to keep withdrawal away. My tolerance was not that high though, and while i find bupe to be excellent to come off other opiate agonists even at minuscule doses, i don't know how much effective bupe is to come off bupe itself, especially because your daily doses where high (although the bioavilability was low) if compared to the amount you have now.

If you repsect yourself please dont do this. When really low I found ripping pieces the size of a tack nailed head and putting in the nasal cavity works pretty well but that my two cents.

If you repsect yourself please dont do this. When really low I found ripping pieces the size of a tack nailed head and putting in the nasal cavity works pretty well but that my two cents.

Uhhhhh what? What the hell does this have to do with self-respect?

Suboxone: If IR administration is about 60% effective, and oral is about 30%, then IR suboxone would be twice as effective, milligram-for-milligram, and you should start with about half your typical oral dose.
Water: use enough to dissolve the suboxone

If you are worried about over-dosing, you can always take less.

Great post, except I don't think they need to worry about overdosing on buprenorphine unless they're concurrently taking other CNS depressants.

Attempted this today...

Woke up this morning and took a BM waited for about 30min. Then took exactly 1/4 of my 4mg (half remaining strip) and put it in a shot glass with 1ml of water. Stirred and let completely dissolve. Once dissolved I used a long thin syringe type device with a rubber ball at the top the squeezes to release the fluid. I believe it is used to administer liquid medicine to infants. I inserted about 2 1/2" into my cavity and released the fluid. I remained on my side and slowly removed the syringe. I waited about 5 minutes before standing up. About 15min in now with no effect other than a little anxiety and anticipation (not uncommon for myself)... Just went to the restroom with a gassy feeling in my stomach and passed about 2x as much as my bm earlier this morning. Wandering whether my dose was to small or whether the dose was blocked by an intestine being full... Dissapointed at this point. I have less than half a strip now and am faced with the decision to take that and hopefully maintain or risk another plug and waste even more.. Suggestions?

*edit*
Thought I'd add that work this week will be slim to none due to the rain in april.. Bad for my wallet but a good time to test these things. No work today.

Last edited:
About an hour has passed since first administration. Just attempted a second one after passing a 3rd BM. This time I used a little larger dose (1.5mg) and made sure to insert the nozzle as deep as bearable. I place my back to the ground and propped my legs up to insure it was getting up there good. I remained in that position long enough to smoke a cigarette. I then stood upright, cleaned the equipment, And am now in an upright sitting position typing this out. Being the heavy PC gamer that I am. I am going to play some Bioshock Infinite on my Asus republic of gamers and wait about 30-45 minutes. Still no effects at the moment... Just a little jittery and anxious. Again this is nothing out of the usual for myself when trying a new drug or administration. I have bad anxiety. I will report back after the allocated 45 minutes and post my results...

I apologize for the multiple posts to users and admins alike. I feel as though I need to give a final update and bit of closure to this thread. Nearly an hour after my final attempt in my last post I am left with a bit of anxiety maybe the slightest of bupe in my system. I feel that rather than having gained anything from this I have tricked myself into maybe feeling the slightest bit of bupe in my system. No pupil change to report or "rush" or euphoria or warm feelings. I am left with nearly 2mg of bupe to take Sublingually. My hope is that it will maintain me through the remainder of the day and act as a slight taper for the coming WD's.. I am already beginning to experience these symptoms as right before I posted this I passed severe diarrhea. While this might have "flushed" my intestines enough to have another try at the "plugging" method I am full of doubt and do not want to risk another failed attempt with what little medication I have remaining. Maybe this is a test best saved for when I have a full script in my hands in the near future. To all first timers to the "Plugging" Method I can suggest this:
1.)Make sure your intestines are CLEAR. It seems that if you have the SLIGHTEST bit of doo doo in there then your'e not going to experience anything "fun"
2.)Grab a shot glass or something similar. Place your desired amount of film/pill bupe into the glass and ad enough water to completely dissolve it. My mixture used 1ml of water per 1mg (1/8th of a strip) It was rather runny instead of gooey.
3.) Once dissolved COMPLETELY remove the mixture with your syringe/baby nose cleaner/baby medicine administrator.
4.) On your side or back with legs up insert the nozzle at least 2" deep and release the mixture. For myself it took a couple squeezes to get it to release. I amount this to there not being much room in there so it took for to empty the syringe that holds the mixture in with pressure.
5.) after 2-3 squeezes your fluid should be completely empty. Before removing make sure you are STILL SQUEEZING DOWN or you may suck the mixture back into your syringe. Slowly remove your syringe and remain in your current position for a few minutes so as not to let the mixture spill out and make a mess.
6.) watch a movie, Play some online games :) My steam name is slim_radio, and my skype is also slim_radio. Feel free to add me and share experiences or if your'e into gaming we can play some MMO's or Black ops! I'm also open to suggestions on new games!

Hey wait!!!! I really think that your not getting the best results due to human error...

1) You don't need to be inserting it any further than 4 centimeters. This is pretty much just inserting the tapered tip of the syringe into your anus and applying enough pressure as you push the plunger as to create a seal and get the liquid JUST INSIDE your inner sphincter.

2) I would STRONGLY advise getting an actual syringe that uses a plunger instead of a squeezable bulb, this way you don't have to worry about... welll... sucking the solution back into the syringe... No offense at all your a first time user, that sounds pretty nasty. I would definitely advise you upgrade to 5mL Luer Slip Tips. Or as a close second, a 5mL oral syringe from CVS or any pharmacy/general store. I can't imagine plugging with a bulb syringe... When I plug with regular syringes with plungers, when you depress the plunger all the way, it's impossible for mixture to flow back into the syringe as there is no vacuum effect.

3) Since your plugging, look into backloading the syringe with your sub strip. This means taking the plunger out of the barrel of the syringe, inserting the suboxone into the barrel, replacing the plunger pushing it almost to the top, to about the 1mL line. Then, draw back the plunger with the syringe submerged in CLEAN water, leaving about 1mL / 1 cc of an air bubble. Cover the syringe tip with your finger and then shake/agitate the syringe until the strip. Point the tip towards the sky and flick the air bubbles to the top, push the plunger carefully until there's no air left in the barrel. Now, lubricate the syringe (I highly recommend using raw/virgin/unrefined coconut oil) and try administering it into your LOWER RECTUM. I think you're experiencing less-than-best-results because you're sticking the syringe way too far up your ass, and yeah, if your rectum is full of shit, the feces can absorb the liquid drug mixture.

4) so yeah try to have a clear rectum, but I'm just saying... Being constipated as hell, proper plugging technique has always still worked for me even when I'm constipated as hell.

5) The whole laying on your side thing, this is another thing I do not do. I plug standing up and then go about my day. I don't have 30-60 minutes to go to the bathroom, then lay down and plug something and keep laying there... I have real-life responsibilities I need to attend to and I think that with practice, if you wanted to, you'd perfect your technique to the point where the concept of sublingualing it may seem like a waste.

6) I don't think you used anywhere near enough water. Especially if you haven't cleared your bowels, then you're going to really want to be using more like 5mL. I used to plug with smaller volume syringes, and have found that certain drugs are efficient using low volume rigs. IME, the more lipid soluble the drug, the lower volume of liquid you'll need to get the drug to cross the rectal membranes. So for example, you can use a 1mL syringe no problem when plugging methamphetamine, but take morphine for example, that would require a 5-10mL syringe.

Buprenorphine will perform much better in the proper 5mL syringe with a barrel, not a bulb. Out of all the (common) opioids, I have the least experience with buprenorphine, but I know a substantial percentage of people who swear by the rectal ROA as a much safer alternative to the IV ROA.

Okay so I took some of your advice and some from the people on other threads. Consider this...

*ATTEMPT NUMBER 2*

I "back loaded" an oral syringe I obtained from CVS pharmacy. You can simply ask for them and they are free. (I just said they were for my child's liquid doses of tylenol) with 2mg of sub-lingual film bupe approx. 1/4th of an 8mg strip.

I then shook it until the strip was completely dissolved. I pointed the tip upwards and pushed the plunger to get rid of the extra air. I was left with a 4ml water + 2mg bupe oral syringe.

I lubed the syringe with petroleum jelly. I than inserted it about an inch and a half into my rectum (roughly 4cm). I laid on my back (just in case) with legs up and pressed the plunger until I felt it lock into place at the bottom. The contents were completely em pty (admittedly much easier than with the bulb syringe).

I then stood up cleaned up the supplies and came in here to post.. It's been anywhere from 5-8 minutes and I still have no feelings yet.. Yesterday I sub-lingually took 4mg (half a strip) and felt good.

sub-lingual BA is 30% while rectal is 54% almost twice... I am hoping to accomplish the same "feeling" from this that I did yesterday from the sub-lingual administration. Any thoughts? I feel like it's taking to long to "kick in"

ALSO I KNOW my bowels are clean I started a high fiber diet and got rid of wastes earlier today.

intrarectal bupre is, well, not that special IMO. i get the subutex pills and i just crush them up and snort 1mg at a time. i like the suboxone strips for IV use though as all i need to do is squirt .3-.5cc of water on tht bad boy, stir with the plunger of my syringe and draw up.

for rectal use, i use a 1ml oral syringe that i took from a vet hospital lol. for the strips, you only need 1ml of water to dissolve the bit in there. if i were you i would cut up the strip into 4-8pieces (i would do 8 because you dont have much left) and plung .5mg of suboxone at a time.

it kind of sucks to be using opiates and trying to plug because if you have a full bowel, your poop will absorb all the bupre-water and you wont get great results. i always try to shit before i plug, even if i only get out little rabbit turds from opiate constipation. my doc says that sub should cause less constipation because it is a partial agonist, but i get such bad constipation on daily bupre that i onl take 1-2 shits a week, if that!! and the shits are not satisfying at all, like a couple rabbit turbs (sorry if this is TMI lol).

drink loads of water because opiates suck the water out of your stool making them hard and compacted. even if you can only shit a tiny bit, it is still better than nothing! as i said before, this is why i dont like plugging bupre because i am usually too constipated and shit.

^no matter how you take bupe, you're not going to get a huge rush, nor are the effects going to be felt immediately, even when injected intravenously.

I've had a lot of experience with buprenorphine and have used it sublingually, IV, rectally and through insufflation. If you want the most bang for your buck, without injecting it (which actually isn't necessarily the most economical as you have to dose multiple times a day usually), is to plug it in my opinion. the way that I did it (when I was on bupe) and still do it with other drugs is as follows:

•dissolve the desired amount of suboxone in a cap. You want to use about 2-3mL of water so use an oral syringe that's at least 3mL.

•once dissolved suck the solution back up through the tip of the syringe, don't backload it.

•lay on your side, raise your legs and insert the tip of the syringe about 4cm into your rectum just as Tricomb recommended (use lube), and slowly push down on the plunger and inject the solution into your back door.

•now, what I do is usually stay on my side for about 10-15 minutes before getting up, and usually do some reading or writing while I kill time. Some people claim this is the best way to do it, while others say that it makes no difference whether you stay on your side or get up after a few seconds. However lying on my side works. Best for me. The Buprenorphine should start to hit within 5-10 minutes and peaks rather quickly.

I think that you may be taking too low of a dose- you had been previously taking 12mg/day right? Though sublingual BA is only 30% and rectal is about 60% so basically you need half as much if you want to feel the same effects- that means plugging 4mg in the morning and redosing at night with 2mg. If your goal is to try and make 4mg last you the 11 days until you get a refil though, I'm afraid no ROA is going to allow you to stretch out what you have left for that amount of time.

first off massive apologies slim_radio for pulling a bit of a hijack on your thread but i just wanted to ask tricomb a couple of questions about plugging.
hi tricomb, i have dihydrocodeine 30mg tabs. They are the dhc ir type, just dhc and lactose i think.
i was wondering since the BA is vastly different with oral vs rectal, how much would i need to step down my dose to match my usual oral dose? 90mg orally gets me nicely mellow and helps my pain. does that mean id have to go as low as 20mg-ish to match that effect?
my last question (promise.lol) is: i have GI issues including IBS and some small piles (not causing me any pain or irritation at all), will plugging the dhc aggravate any of these issues? thanks in advance tricomb if you can ease my concerns.
OP, again, im sorry for the hijack.:)

hmmm idk about you znegative but IV bupre gives me an amazing nice rush of relief and a dopey high. the most i shoot up is .5mg at a time but usually less because i like to get my needle fix multiple times a day. plugged bupre doesnt give me NEARLY the same rush as IV does. maybe i just get a nice placebo from seeing blood enter my syringe, but i get much much much much much much more relief from IV bupre over snorting.plugging. like IV bupre gives me a high so to speak and it is as good as doing some roxi in my book!! to each their own i guess

when i plug, i dont use lube ( this can be uncomfortable lol) and i usually get up and walk around right after i get the syringe out of my ass. laying on your sid for 10-15mins isnt necessary IME

Last edited: