• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Why are all HR Departments Almost Exclusively Staffed by Women?

MyFinalRest

Bluelighter
I have never once in my life came across a male working in an Human Resources department. In general, it is extremely rare for straight men to be working in any clerical position. True, men are favored more for the few available top management positions, but as with all other staff jobs, you are going to see a bunch of middle aged women working the offices of Human Resources.

It's like if you're a man and you don't qualify for some Super Level Management position you are going to be sent working in Maintenence, Fast Food/Restaurant Cook, or Construction etc. Going to college has apparently been a waste of time.

Anyway, check out this article that reveals the gender obsessed world of corporate/bureaucratic staffing:
http://www.brighthub.com/office/human-resources/articles/125948.aspx

This article suggests a total violation of U.S. Employment Discrimination Law and it seems like nobody minds.

Those jobs--like nursing, hair care, and grade school teaching--are ones that men typically frown upon.

My company is pretty stereotypical and old fashioned like that. All the HR people are women, all the admin people are women, all the credit department people are women, and everyone in sales and management is a man.

I hate HR. I don't understand why anyone would want to make it a goal in life to fire people and make their work lives miserable. I hate them and never befriend or have anything to do with HR people at work. They are also humorless assholes. I hate them.

I worked for a company that didn't have an HR department because he thought it would make things more difficult and he's right. I've never had HR help me. The only time I see HR people is when they hire me, fire me, lay me off, someone complained about me or I have to snitch on a coworker (well they want me to but I refuse or lie).

But, I have worked for companies where management in HR is a man. Also, the recruiter who recruited me (internal recruiter) at the company I'm at now was a man. They laid him off though in our lay offs. LOL Now it's all women. Sucks, because he was the best HR guy they had. He was actually friendly.

...a goal in life to fire people and make their work lives miserable.
that's one way of looking at it.

at my last company - vail resorts - the hr department was great. any time i had an issue with an employee or a supervisor, they had my back. they worked hard on employee engagement, we serious about training and truly cared about employee well-being. and the department was staffed by both men and women.

alasdair

HR departments are becoming less and less transparent and god knows what the real hiring process is like behind these closed doors. Sometimes it goes to a committe and then what? I'm gonna start emailing some folks and asking how many people applied and how many were actually interviewed. I think they just pour over stuff for a few minutes and hire people on the spot.

That aside, why aren't there more female engineers and male nurses? Racial and gender discrimination is still rampant.

Imo HR gets involved in stuff that really isnt a big deal and tries to make it a big deal to justify their job I guess? People losing days of work for calling someone an asshole? Thats just stupid

they were all females and everyone in an administrative position was a female as well, at least from my experience

Trying to tell a bunch of grown ass men not to call each other assholes

Tsk tsk tsk

The HR department at my company is made up of about 10 people and there are three men.

Also HR doesn't JUST fire people. That's probably a difficult part of their job.

fuck HR. i hate HR with a passion.

HR = Human Roadblock or Horrible Recruiter

most HR fuckers feel like they have something to prove and just end up getting in the way.
that said, i have worked with some decent folks in HR, most of them were men.
but it is a woman dominated industry, for sure.

^ or maybe hr = helpful resort or humane reinforcement :)

perhaps the skills and temperament required to be successful in hr tend to be more commonly found in women?

alasdair

I really don't understand why there is so much hatred for HR. I work very closely with the HR department at my company. I was pretty sure that it was the managers who fired employees, not the HR department. HR at my company deals with banking information, employee personal information, letters of employment, resignations and terminations, and hiring employees.

Some fields just have more females and some have more males. I'm not sure why it is a big deal. Yeah, some if it is stereotypical. Why are more males in factories? You can't expect all fields to be a 50/50 split of male/female. It's impractical. Some will have more females and some will have more males.

I really don't understand why there is so much hatred for HR.
Most of them are extrememely poor decision makers and completely unfamiliar with any real policies. They also play a lot of favoritism.

Some fields just have more females and some have more males. I'm not sure why it is a big deal. Yeah, some if it is stereotypical. Why are more males in factories? You can't expect all fields to be a 50/50 split of male/female. It's impractical. Some will have more females and some will have more males.

That's absurd and believe it or not, that is sexist. There are instances of bigger and stronger people being able to handle certain jobs better etc. but that doesn't always break on gender lines either. The largest part of the gender disparities is sexism and homosocial discrimination. There is no good reason why men are not being hired in staff and HR jobs. Must you believe in the myth of the confident, self-assured male who takes the lead and the female who submits and serves behind the scenes? You've made many posts in SLR that makes it clear that men who do not follow this stereotype have no sexual worth to you, and perhaps you can't imagine a man in a traditionally female held staff position either? How bout imagining a female bulldozer operator? Women can do that job just as well as any man.

I'm just a salty old headhunter. HR looks at us as a necessary evil, and we view them the same way.
When we're making placements within their organization, sometimes they feel like we're beating them at their own game.
Hiring managers don't care where good candidates come from, just as long as the position gets filled with good talent. So I prefer to work through them whenever possible.

I place highly technical, highly skilled people in a specialized industry. I've run into a lot of cases when HR screens out my candidates before presenting them to the hiring manager. The bottom line is, I'm not technical, and neither is HR. I eat crow all the time and tell executives that I'm not technical at all, and my job is to get the technical folks talking....sometimes HR gets in the way of this, and slows down the process. A lot of them seem to be scared of hiring managers.

Not always, though. But most of the time that's just how it is. HR just gets in the way....but, again, I'm a 3rd party recruiter so my opinion on HR is extremely biased.

MFR said:
Most of them are extrememely poor decision makers and completely unfamiliar with any real policies.

I think that this has a lot more to do with the structural arrangement of firms as organizations than with any qualities that HR staff-members have as individuals.

ebola

i've dealt with lots of male HR managers (it's what i do), and from experience i have seen no gender disproportion. there are good hr managers and there are bad ones. ALL enter with the best of intentions but many do not handle to pressures they get from above, and become robotic nazis.

oh well, it keeps me in work. the worse they are, the more secure my job is. =D

i've dealt with lots of male HR managers (it's what i do), and from experience i have seen no gender disproportion.

The US is a little backwards in this way... :p

ebola

oh so that's the thing! i always wondered what it was. ;)

most of them? can you back that claim up with anything?

alasdair

I don't want to cite the particular places and people involved, but that's how it was. Sorry to inform you that everyone is not being "wonderful" and fair like they should be. One particular instance could have been solved right at the HR dept. but favoritsm and ignorance triumphed over clear policy guidelines.

When it comes to hiring, who really knows what goes on behind the closed doors of human resources? It's obviously not fair, and they are too lazy to even give interviews. It all seems like snap judgements and personal whims win out over any actual hiring process.