• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Kentucky hemp bill passes in final hour

LogicSoDeveloped

Bluelighter
FRANKFORT, KY. — An amended bill to regulate industrial hemp production by Kentucky farmers — if the federal government allows it — was passed by the Kentuckly legislature in the final minutes of the regular session.

In the compromise, the Kentucky Industrial Hemp Commission remains in the state Department of Agriculture with only research functions of the bill assigned to the University of Kentucky. The last sticking point had been an effort by House Majority Floor Leader Rocky Adkins, D-Sandy Hook, to put the commission under UK.

That had been a dealbreaker for the bill’s sponsor, Sen. Paul Hornback, R-Shelbyville, and its chief advocate, state Agriculture Commissioner James Comer.

Comer had already left the Capitol believing the bill was dead, but returned late Tuesday when Adkins wanted to continue talks.

“We’re very satisfied with the bill,” Comer said, adding that the next step would be working with Kentucky’s federal legislators to get a waiver for a pilot project to grow industrial hemp in Kentucky. He said public pressure to pass the bill helped achieve the last-minute deal.

The bill passed the House as amended 88-4, with Comer, a former House member, watching on the chamber floor. The Senate approved the compromise 35-1.

The bill now goes to Gov. Steve Beshear, who has said he shares the concerns of the Kentucky State Police who opposed the bill. Beshear hasn’t said whether he would veto a hemp bill if it got to him.

Hornback and Comer, who made the bill his department’s top legislative priority, say hemp can be a boost for farmers and bring processing jobs if Kentucky is among the first states to grow hemp. The federal government would have to legalize the crop or grant Kentucky a waiver.

But the state police and some House Democratic leaders, including Speaker Greg Stumbo, D-Prestonsburg, questioned whether hemp would be economically viable and whether it would hurt marijuana enforcement since the plants look the same.

Comer said he agreed in the compromise to be removed as chairman of the hemp commission. He will now be vice chairman and the chairman will be selected by members.

the rest at: http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...ill-passes-final-hour?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

I will never understand why hemp has always been illegal. It helped us win every war up till the end of ww2. With over 25000 uses its just stupid that it cant be grown for industrial uses. If grown right hemp doesnt really even produce flowers that one would want to smoke. people grow pot to smoke, people grow hemp to use. I mean hell you can make diesel and plastics from hemp oil. It is literally a plant that could solve many many problems our society faces today. Just in hemp pulp paper one can get many more times the amount of hemp pulp from one acre as you can from the same acre of tree pulp paper, and thats only for growing season, not to mention the 15 year growing season of trees for pulp. Its just silly that such an amazing plant cant be used because it may "hinder law enforcement"

I will never understand why hemp has always been illegal. It helped us win every war up till the end of ww2. With over 25000 uses its just stupid that it cant be grown for industrial uses. If grown right hemp doesnt really even produce flowers that one would want to smoke. people grow pot to smoke, people grow hemp to use. I mean hell you can make diesel and plastics from hemp oil. It is literally a plant that could solve many many problems our society faces today. Just in hemp pulp paper one can get many more times the amount of hemp pulp from one acre as you can from the same acre of tree pulp paper, and thats only for growing season, not to mention the 15 year growing season of trees for pulp. Its just silly that such an amazing plant cant be used because it may "hinder law enforcement"

pulp and paper industry didn't want competition.

see hurst and friends

I'm really hoping they get federal clearance as a state so this will come down to mine. It would really benefit local farmers.