Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

We Love Cricket Thread 2nd Innings

brimz

Bluelighter
Old thread

I've been to Cheltenham Ladies College Brimz. Gloucester v Sussex, 1977, Mike Proctor bowling off the wrong foot for Gloucester (I always thought that was well weird) and Javed Miandad hitting sixes for fun. At one point they had all the fielders out on the ropes so Miandad started to DELIBERATELY edge balls. Can you imagine how hard that is? Field comes into catch, six hitting resumes. I think he got about 150 in 3/4 of a day.
Miandad , a legend . Not really in the mood to talk about fielding positioning after that debacle. What the fuk was he thinking ? A temporary lapse i hope .

Weston Super Mare was a great little ground & Somerset would always use it as a out Ground back yonder. Do you know it ? Its's Not far from the coast & not that big either . I remember seeing some really aggressive bowling by Joel Garner the sort of which you just don't see in todays County game . I was only a very young lad & don't even remember the opposition but i can clearly remember The Big Man delivering the ball at speeds i never thought were possible .

Given his height the ball was coming from around 7 n a half foot & his yorkers were on point . That's one of first memory of watching Cricket & it set the bar pretty high .
Forgive me for not getting excited by modern day "Fast" Bowlers .
881 wickets @ 18.53 . In first Class Cricket .

Last edited by a moderator:
No I don't know WSM Brimz, only the beach. Fine beach it is too.

On the frightening fast bowler thing...two experiences spring to mind. First, seeing Jeff Thompson bowl at Northampton, sitting at mid-wicket as it were and NEVER once seeing the ball. Len Pascoe was doing the same from the other end.

Then many years later I was stewarding at Lords. Got to stand right behind the nets for morning practice. Syd Lawrence (remember?, the knee? OUCH) was bowling. There was a net stopping the ball from hitting me and I was scared with every delivery he put down. Kinda glad after that I'd never pushed myself to anything like that level. Scary.

I remember when i told you about bowling to ME Trescothick at Lansdown CC & you were a bit miffed when i revealed that i was bowling slow right arm . Well the main reason behind that was that we had a fine batch of Pace bowlers & some of them weren't getting in the team .
I was a all rounder in the loosest sense .
I had a decent pair of hands in the slips & could dig in with the bat coming in at 7 or 8 . You see there were better batsmen than me not getting a game & better bowlers. I could field well , bat without giving my wicket away and also send down a few overs in the middle of the game . I never got many wickets but was economical .
So what i'm saying is to get a game it was a case of being able to do everything pretty well & sacrifice yourself for the team .

What about you what were your attributes on the Field ?

I fancied myself as a batsman, went through a whole u/14 season without an average because I never got out (about 8 innings) but adults fancied me as a bowler. I really fancied batting (before I saw Jeff Thompson). And I think I've told you, I liked bowling bouncers. And could, from a young age. And I think I told you I was a sprinter? That's why I bowled fast.

Was shit in the slips myself to other fast bowlers, boy that ball comes quick even at 14/15/16, so they ended up sticking me in the covers coz I could run fast. Gave up at 16. Played again in mid 20's only to discover fielding was really hard work for 40 overs. Ran myself out 2 games running and never played since. :\

EDIT Derek Randall was my hero.

Haha
I last played properly at 17 . Then i was roped in to play for a work related team which was very important to the Boss of our office . I had bought myself a years contract with my performances playing for the football team .
This was only 2 n a half years on & it was like playing a different game , i managed to get through 2 matches but i had lost the discipline. Other than a Bit of beach Cricket in Sri Lanka haven't played since.

I tell a lie Brimz, I played after this too, but only in the nets. I was about 28, working for Hammersmith Council, and on strike. We were on strike for months, and we lost, and it was horrible. But I made friends with a bloke from another department who lived near me and when we weren't required on picket duty we'd spend afternoons in the nets in Brockwell Park in Brixton.

And I could still bowl a good bouncer at 28. And so could he, though he was a few years younger. Basically we'd spend the afternoon trying to kill each other. The point is though he had a reason to be that good. turned out he went to a decent public school. And on Friday afternoons, every Friday afternoon, kids could choose to do what they want. So he chose cricket. I'd be pretty fucking good if I'd been allowed to spend every Friday afternoon between 13 and 16 playing cricket.

How the other half live eh? I really hate public schools.

Cricket during the summer term, rugby over winter and shooting at the school rifle range on Fridays. Or sailing out of the boat shed if you had no hand eye coordination. The best part of playing cricket at school was proper lunches change of innings at the different schools dining rooms. Sitting in long rooms with stained glass windows dressed in my whites felt like I was eating a lords...... With just as much potential to be buggered by an old codger. ;)

Wow, what a match. I'd take a close fought draw over any simpleton ODI or 20/20. It had everything that last session. Broad batted well facing 80 odd balls for 2, exactly what I was talking about earlier regarding players holding the crease. As much as I would have loved a win I'm just happy that NZ never really looked like losing this series. Bring on the juicy pitches of the old dart where our pop gun attack can cause some havok. :)

Wow, what a final day. Matty Prior! When the ball hits the stumps it doesn't even get him out. Sussex strength. ;)

i would be gutted to loose a Test Match after getting in to such a commanding position .

Fantastic innings from Prior & a brilliant 6 runs ( 2 & a half hours ;) ) stand by Broad .

yeah well with a Five Test Ashes series on the horizon i'm confident we can sort that out .

The Two Match series forgot about it tbh . Should be good if the weather improves . Always plenty for the bowlers in May .