• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can opiates cause early period?

starlett7

Bluelighter
I found a few threads about periods being late or stopping completely, but could opiates cause your period to come early?? :?

My period has always been very regular, only ever off by a day or two on rare occasions but this time it came a week early!

Have any of you ladies ever experienced something like this? A binge this past weekend is really the only thing that's been different in my life in the last couple weeks so I can't think of anything else that might be the cause of this. What could even possibly cause an early period other than drugs... :S

More often than not mine doesn't come at all, but even being on birth control sometimes a binge will cause it to spontaneously start. I don't know if it's the direct effect of opiates, or just that I change my eating and sleeping patterns change so much and then the stresses (financial, withdrawal, keeping secrets) that come along with using for me.

Starlet I had always been very regular until opiate use. Once I got taking them heavily, I was 40 already. Lost of bunch of weight and periods stopped altogether. My ob/gyn doctor said once a year went by, come back and see him. So he put me on hormone replacement therapy assuming I was menopausal. But some months later when I eased off the oxy, the periods came back.

Yeah, opioids can mess with your periods and make them irregular. Especially if you are binging then stopping, that would be different than just taking opioids every day (which more commonly makes periods less frequent). Are you on any hormonal birth control (the pill, patch, shot, hormonal IUD)? Have you been using other drugs? Certain drugs can make your period early or interact with hormonal birth control.

As for what can cause an early period other than drugs, having irregular periods is extremely common and an early period in and of itself is not something you need to be worried about. Hormonal changes, anxiety/stress, and spending a lot of time with other women can all affect your period. For example, women's periods tend to synchronize with each other if they live together or even just spend a lot of time together. Do you live with another female or have a close female friend or family member who you spend a lot of time with?

Every female junkie I've ever known has had massive problems with her period. Makes me glad I'm not a chic, hah. One of the many reasons.

It could be entirely un-related to the opiates. A week early is no big deal. I'm 35 and have always gotten my period every 28 days since I was 14. When I was 25 my period came a week early and then when I was 30 my period came a week late. It's quite normal for women to experience cycle changes. I had used heroin for about 10years out of my life and never had any problems with my menstruation.

Opiates definitely influence regularity. With heavy consistent use they become mild or disappear altogether ... Evidenced here by the girl who didn't have it for a yr during heavy oxy use and then it coming back upon stopping.
Using opiates on and off makes it highly irregular... The more opiates the less u get it ... U stop for a bit and it comes back, so it won't follow the usual 28 day cycle....

A week early is no big deal. It's quite normal for women to experience cycle changes.

Opiates definitely influence regularity. With heavy consistent use they become mild or disappear altogether ...
Using opiates on and off makes it highly irregular... The more opiates the less u get it ... U stop for a bit and it comes back, so it won't follow the usual 28 day cycle....

^The above posts were pretty much what I was trying to say but they explained it better than I did :)

Thanks for the input! I guess early or late it's gonna be kinda fucked up wen your messing around with drugs.