Big ass speakers - What's the best?

You guys can go ahead and turn this into a speaker MEGA thread, I'm surprised you don't have one already!

Unfortunately my friend was... forcefully detained... so I lost about $250 that was going to my speaker. Going to need to replace that before I can get my KRKs. Luckily though, I got to keep the Logitech Z-2300! Not the best, but it works well at low volumes so I have that range covered.

Yup. The title says it all... I need something to pound my neighborhood with enough bass to take the wallpaper off my wall.

Something LOUD, something with BASS OUT THE ASS... but preferably, not too expensive and something that's not going to get blown out in a month or two.

Just bought a new $200 speaker in January, it's already dead. I need something that can play by Hardstyle with the bass cranked all the way up 24/7.... any ideas?

Hopefully this isn't seen as sourcing, it's for the good of all men that we know what goes hard and what has the bass of an iPhone speaker

Just out of interest Folley why are you going for studio monitors?

Based on your original post seems like you are after something that will chuck out loads of bass.

Studio monitors are designed to have a flat response so by there very nature wont have oodles of bass to chuck out.

Also if you go for studio monitors you are goingto be paying premium for that flat response that it seems you dont want.

Many of the cheaper hifi speakers have tuned boxes in the lower frequencies and would be more suited to your initial request.

^^ Sweet, now only to get 10k. I obviously want 2 218s for a 500 capacity room. Probably 4 12s as well. ear plugs anyone? :D

A big ass-speaker imho, tbph:

jsmuq.gif

ebola

^ lolwut?

Looks like a big ass yeller to me..

Still no speaker, my logitech is doing me very well though. REALLY want the 10-3 but money is tight as fuck now.

FWIW I have some older speakers like these DCM kx-10 (not sure exactly what model they are & have no fucking clue what's powering them) in my old room. I plug my computer up to them & don't even get close to half the max volume without shit getting loud as hell.

5ccaa29f0f0c889802286b038807436d.jpg

Honestly idk if you really want studio speakers for loud house parties.

studio speaker are made to sound really good and neutral for pro ears.

Try finding a used amp on craigs list or something for 150-200dollars, around 80-100w per channel is fine, but make sure its a good brand not some random crap.

Then get some cerwin vegas for the rest of your budget, not my favorite brand but they make big speakers that sound better than most similar models for that budget.

I ended up with some Harbinger 15" speakers and an 18" woofer.... it's fucking LOUD. Perfect for parties, the bass gets ridiculous at times.

Although, the dead noise can be quite irritating. I've basically got to turn the speakers off right after the music stops. They're fucking sturdy though and the sound is great, my parents are extremely patient people lololol. The whole house shakes when you turn this thing up.

Only question is, can I still beef up a powered subwoofer with an amp? Or would that risk blowing it out? It really doesn't need any more power, although the 15 inch speakers are a bit overpowering for a single 18 inch woofer. I'd like to be able to beef up the woofer if I can until I break down and buy a second one lolol

Still hoping to get some KRK's eventually though. I'll probably wait until I get into music production for that, though. I do need some good computer speakers though and I feel KRK would be great for games and movies.

Only question is, can I still beef up a powered subwoofer with an amp?

No, the input will be geared toward an unamplified signal, and you'll blow a fuse.
If you already have adequately powered >12 in' woofers, why do you need a sub? I don't see how this would really extend frequency response in a way that would retain fidelity and balance.

ebola

Oh hell nah. The sub is the icing on the cake.. The bass response is ridiculous, coupled with my friend's Mackie speakers we could easily throw out enough sound for 100+ people to get down.

As I said, the 15" monitors are a bit overkill. They were the same price as the 12 inch though, and I believe the tweeter on it is upgraded as well. Over all I got the set up for a steal, the speakers are $500 each on GuitarCenter's website but I got them new for $200 on clearance at the store.

The only problem with the set up is that you have to turn down the speakers quite a bit to match the woofer. I'm thinking if I added another sub I'd be able to turn it up quite a bit more and still keep the highs equal to the lows. Right now it distorts quite a bit after a certain volume, the highs really screech through but then again I am listening to Hardstyle.. lmao

IDK anything about home audio but for festival and event speakers my vote has to go to pk sound, I've never heard anything like them.

IDK anything about home audio but for festival and event speakers my vote has to go to pk sound, I've never heard anything like them.

I also like the Meyer Sound stuff. I remember seeing them in use at a Bassnectar show and the sound guy had it set up so every rise in frequency would travel upwards in the speakers really noticeably. So every single build felt like I was going up in a spaceship. I'm sure that has a lot to do with that sound guy and crew and not just the speakers themselves. But they were soooo crisp and clean sounding, which gives them my vote...

For home use get a pair of Alesis M1 Mk2 Active moniters, they are self powered so you need no amp and they sound great and pack a punch -you can get a 2nd hand pair for around £100. Moniters are the way forward unless you can afford a decent pa system as they provide a genuine real sound without the cheap ass fake bass being added. Vinyl being played through moniters and a good record needle is as close to perfection you can get while on a budget.

I also like the Meyer Sound stuff. I remember seeing them in use at a Bassnectar show and the sound guy had it set up so every rise in frequency would travel upwards in the speakers really noticeably. So every single build felt like I was going up in a spaceship. I'm sure that has a lot to do with that sound guy and crew and not just the speakers themselves. But they were soooo crisp and clean sounding, which gives them my vote...

I've never heard bassnectar through anything but pk sound but yea they're just like that haha
And when the really resonant space sounding samples come they reverb so cleanly across the whole room.
Soooo beautiful haha

I don't know for bass but for sound quality and durability get these bitches. Yamaha HS7's.

Got a pair brand new for £270 from Red Dog Music in London (long story, you won't get this lucky though). I think they normally cost around £340.
Do NOT get the HS5's just because they're cheaper if you decide on these, I heard they have less bass than HS7's and after listening to music via Logitech speakers with the sub turned all the way up all day every day for 6 years it was a bit difficult adjusting to these at first. Recommend them 10/10 though.

7TZLX.jpg

Last edited:
Turns out I don't even need an amplifier or anything, turned up the bass on my equalizer and let's just say the entire floor fucking SHAKES :)

Still have no idea about the best placement to get the most power out of it though, the acoustics where it is now probably SUCK. I've heard that having the sub facing a corner is the best as it splits the sound as it bounces off the wall and sends the sound all around the room... haven't been able to try it yet though as my XLR cords aren't long enough