• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne

Magickduck

Bluelighter
I struggle with acne and during an amphetamine binge about a month ago, I broke out. Its not THAT bad but its pretty bad. The amphetamine binge caused a breakout and definitly made it much worse, however I normally always have some. Nothing seems to make it better, have tried alot of OTC products.

What can I do to make it better, it is pissing me off.

Should I go get minocycline?

Did I say I am a regular amphetamine user?

Have you thought of slowly cutting your dosage down? if you use amp on a regular basis?

And of course staying hydrated, maybe your food and drink consumption levels might have something to do with your ache?

[Your diet can affect your skin]

How old are you? Are you male or female?

What's your general skin care routine, if you have one? I.e. do you wash your face, if so how often, and with what products if any? Do you use any other facial products regularly?

What kind of acne do you have? If you can post pics of your own, that'd be most helpful, but otherwise finding some images online that match your acne would be next best.

What parts of your face are affected, and do you get it anywhere else on your body?

Could you describe your average daily diet, and any exercise you do regularly? How much sleep do you get per night on average? Do you sleep well?

List all drugs (prescribed, recreational, OTC, everything) and supplements you take more than twice a week.

Do you have any allergies or sensitivities, and do your parents and grandparents have any that you know of?

Acne can be caused by many things, and can be multifactorial. You can waste a lot of time & money on ineffective treatments unless you try to discover the source.

Isotretinoin will prevent oil blocking the pores by shrinking glands, stopping them from causing zits. But it has adverse effects. I don't know if I'd recommend this or not.

swap amps for opiates, they do wonders for my acne
jking

but seriously usually eating primarily whole foods (no processed food), getting plenty of sunlight and regular exercise will rid of most people's acne

of course abusing amps is going to interfere with your ability to maintain a healthy lifestyle...

Yeah, as others have said having a relatively health lifestyle will help a lot with your skin. Try not to eat to much junk food and snack on fruit or what not instead of crisps. Like you drugs also seem to wreak havok on my skin as well :( Even if its just a little weed, the next day I will notice ive got a little break out coming up.

Like you I tried loads of OTC stuff for years, this however can be part of the problem, swapping and changing products every two weeks is terrible for you skin and can irritate it which will only make things worse.

What I found to work best in conjunction with exercise is a cream called skinoren, it seems to work pretty well for me. It burns like hell for the first 2 weeks though just as a heads up but then after that it really does seem to help it calm down. Also other than the burning i've had no nasty side effects unlike with accutane or other prescription treatments.

Hope I helped :)

It seems to me moisturizing is very important for acne free skin. This is counter intuitive since we think of acne as been caused by oil and so you would think you want to dry your face out. But acne is complicated and usually is caused more by hormones than by your bodies own oils, although for some people this is the main cause. I wash my face with soap, Dr. Bronners, just once a day. I wash just with water in the morning. I let my face dry after I was it for fifteen minutes or so just to dry out any acne but then I moisturize with a lot of lotion and sometimes Vitamin E oil.

As an update, I found a cure. Raw organic honey on my face and benzoyl peroxide wash once and a while, coupled with a mixture of tea tree oil and witch hazel at night has completely cured it.

Have you thought of slowly cutting your dosage down? if you use amp on a regular basis?

And of course staying hydrated, maybe your food and drink consumption levels might have something to do with your ache?

[Your diet can affect your skin]

also I meant that as a reply to the person who implyed I am a regular amphetamine user, because I am not, I use them very rarely.

I tried doing oil cleansing for my face a couple of months ago using 1 part castor oil to 3 parts almond and after a few days it cleared my face up.

I've read in dermatology that a common reason for acne is that the oil on the face needs to be clarified, but not removed. When you remove the oil the skin has no natural barrier so it gets dry; but if you moisturize all the time, it makes the oily areas dirty. Oil cleansing evens it all out and replaces your own oils with fresh, clean ones. Plus the castor oil deep cleans.

There are different recommended combinations of oils for different skin types.

I would see a dermatologist. I use Neutrogena soap on my face daily but I do it after I shower. Sometimes I'll use plain white Dove brand soap; but these brands of soap work for my skin type.

i used to have a lot of acne when i was on this certain medication. when i came off it i used Pacnex. you need a script for it tho but its worth going to a doctor for. it helped get rid of it all i don't even need to use it anymore. like others are saying a lot of it depends on your diet and any drugs you may be taking. also make sure you change your pillow case often tends to add to your acne problem if you dont

I would see a dermatologist. I use Neutrogena soap on my face daily but I do it after I shower. Sometimes I'll use plain white Dove brand soap; but these brands of soap work for my skin type.

YES. DO see a dermatologist. An equally traumatizing, but not nearly talked about enough affliction, eczema, affects the girl I love most in the world, and finally seeing a dermatologist has been a gawdsend for her.

Products her and I use which cause neither of us any trouble (we both eat healthy, don't abuse drugs, exercise regularly, and wash regularly):
*Cetaphil face/body cleanser
*Dove for sensitive skin
*Most organic skin products

As a side note, I only skimmed this thread so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, BUT...
The only year I ever had a BIG problem with breakouts, I was wearing "a full face of" makeup. Skin (our body's largest organ) doesn't like being clogged up, be it with dirt, oil, bacteria, excessive testosterone, OR (most) makeup.

You having just acne or got also sebaceous cists too ?
Are those turning to abscess/infection ?

Another thing to keep in mind is that in many other forms of medicine, acne is the result of an overburdened liver or the kind of diet you have.

If your liver is overburdened then even your own hormones could trigger acne. You would need to revert to a raw green diet for a while to give your liver some purging effect. I think that the fact amphetamines trigger your acne is a good indication that your liver is fed up.

If you eat a lot of processed food with additives then that could also be a problem. People with acne have a higher excretion level of toxicity through the skin, as opposed to the other toxic channels, so they get acne more easily. If processed byproducts make it to the skin in these people, then their own immune system will begin attacking the skin, resulting in cysts, etc. You could try an elimination diet to rule out certain foods. The most common culprits are dairy, gluten, and shellfish.

As an update, I found a cure. Raw organic honey on my face and benzoyl peroxide wash once and a while, coupled with a mixture of tea tree oil and witch hazel at night has completely cured it.

Excellent acne cure.

I myself am on steroids, very androgenic ones so acne should be a problem for me but it isn't. Why?

First off I exfoliate everyday with an apricot scrub followed by a salicylic acid wash. Afterwards I moisturize my face with an organic moisturizer free of chemicals and artificial scents. I also shower in the AM and PM with warm water followed by cold.

At night I apply tea tree oil to the one or two blemishes I might notice to get rid of them by morning.

In terms of compounds I use a very effective combination, B5 and Doxycycline. B5 reduces sebum production and Doxycycline kills acne causing bacteria. Acne bacteria feed on sebum mind you so reducing eliminates inflammation, infection, clogged pores, and pimples. B5 is dosed 5-8 grams a day until acne starts fading and then a maintenance dose of 3-4 grams is taken. Doxycycline is used at 50mg-100mg or as prescribed by a doctor. I get mine from pet store with no need for a script, it's used for fish and birds but if you check the pill ID it comes up as the actual drug online.

You have to eat clean as well. Avoid processed foods loaded with chemicals, and meat and milk that contains hormones. Try to eat organic when you can. Also, always try to drink as much water as you can. Up to a gallon a day.

The only time I would ever recommended Accutane is if you have a diagnosis of cystic acne or acne vulgaris that is extreme and all other remedies have been tried and found to fail. Accutane is risky; It can cause depression, liver failure, peeling lips, peeling skin, an allergic reaction that causes an acne eruption that resembles small pox, irritable bowel syndrome, and other problems. It's actually been banned in a few countries.

YES. DO see a dermatologist. An equally traumatizing, but not nearly talked about enough affliction, eczema, affects the girl I love most in the world, and finally seeing a dermatologist has been a gawdsend for her.

Products her and I use which cause neither of us any trouble (we both eat healthy, don't abuse drugs, exercise regularly, and wash regularly):
*Cetaphil face/body cleanser
*Dove for sensitive skin
*Most organic skin products

As a side note, I only skimmed this thread so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, BUT...
The only year I ever had a BIG problem with breakouts, I was wearing "a full face of" makeup. Skin (our body's largest organ) doesn't like being clogged up, be it with dirt, oil, bacteria, excessive testosterone, OR (most) makeup.
What else does she do for her eczema or dermatitis? Are there any certain foods, vitamins, or supplements that she'll avoid since they break her out?