• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne

YES. DO see a dermatologist. An equally traumatizing, but not nearly talked about enough affliction, eczema, affects the girl I love most in the world, and finally seeing a dermatologist has been a gawdsend for her.

Products her and I use which cause neither of us any trouble (we both eat healthy, don't abuse drugs, exercise regularly, and wash regularly):
*Cetaphil face/body cleanser
*Dove for sensitive skin
*Most organic skin products

As a side note, I only skimmed this thread so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, BUT...
The only year I ever had a BIG problem with breakouts, I was wearing "a full face of" makeup. Skin (our body's largest organ) doesn't like being clogged up, be it with dirt, oil, bacteria, excessive testosterone, OR (most) makeup.

This is a pretty good advice and a cleanser, toner and moisturizer is what worked for me when i had cystic acne when I was a teenager so whatever the dermatologist recommend always have this routine.

and once a month facial may also help with that if it's not too expensive for you :) good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
What else does she do for her eczema or dermatitis? Are there any certain foods, vitamins, or supplements that she'll avoid since they break her out?

I asked her, and she said her dermatologist prescribed her a steroid cream; she didn't remember what brand/variety, though.

As to food, she had herself tested for food allergies, and found out she's allergic to shellfish, fish, and nuts, so thus avoids those now.

Also, the only lotions she will use are made by Cetaphil or Eucerin.

I've had pretty bad acne these past few months, in part due to amphetamime (I take stimulants daily for an Excessive Daytime Sleepiness).

It has just cleared up. Apparently, a few dips in the ocean did it, along with swimming in a chlorinated pool as often as I could. So that's one thing that works.

...The amphetamine binge caused a breakout and definitly made it much worse...

The amphetamines did not cause a breakout. Your body becoming completely out of balance from lack of proper sleep, and proper nutrition Id imagine, combined with increased physical stress, release of stress hormones and related chemicals, and perhaps other toxins in your diet being excreted through your skin cause your acne to become much worse.

...Should I go get minocycline?

No, pharmaceuticals are more poisons to add to your body. Try juicing raw organic cucumbers (with nothing else but water) as a meal a few times a week. Raw organic garlic is even more powerful as an internal medicine against acne, but some find it too uncomfortable. The rest of your dietary approach sounds sensible enough that you dont seem like youre stuffing yourself full of toxins all the time via diet, though it goes without saying to avoid that anyway.

I've read about using raw honey on the face to stop acne. Haven't tried it personally... but has anyone else here? Some people swear by it. To me it seems counter-intuitive to put something so sweet onto the skin because bacteria and yeast love sugar, but I also know honey has a lot of anti-microbial properties.

See a dermatologist. Most of the good medications(vitamin a derivatives, antibiotics) require a prescription. A good cleanser, moisturizer, salicylic acid, and benzoyl peroxide is a good over the counter system. Just be sure to treat your entire face multiple times a day. Simply "spot-treating", by only applying to the actual breakouts is fruitless. These medicines aren't meant to treat existing acne as much as prevent new breakouts from forming.

The cause of acne breakouts during speed binges is largely due to sweating. You can counteract this by staying hydrated and keeping your body temperature low (turning up the AC, using fans, avoiding strenuous activity). This won't help much by itself, though, so it's more important that you modify your hygienic habits. Besides showering every day, obviously, regularly using foaming washes containing 10% benzoyl peroxide can be an effective treatment, and I can personally vouch for it. It's typically prescribed by dermatologists, but you can buy it from sites like Amazon. It can dry out your skin very easily, though, so I would also recommend moisturizing your skin after you shower with cocoa butter. This in itself is also useful, since dry skin exacerbates acne anyway.

^ I tried benzoyl peroxide as a teenager and even at a very low percentage if burned my face so bad that it looked worse than the acne itself. I advise AGAINST using that method if you have sensitive skin, unless you want to look like a red zombie with skin peeling off your face for a week.

I've read about using raw honey on the face to stop acne. Haven't tried it personally... but has anyone else here? Some people swear by it. To me it seems counter-intuitive to put something so sweet onto the skin because bacteria and yeast love sugar, but I also know honey has a lot of anti-microbial properties.
I have had great success with honey.

When I was in my younger years I used to get cystic acne on my nose. The only solution that worked out for me was using Tretinoin cream. Nowadays I thankfully do not have any cystic acne and this is probably due to the cold, dry weather in the country I am currently residing at. It could also be that it is due to my age I believe that as person ages, the skin changes as well. I have also been taking care of my body exercising daily and eating healthy getting lots of sleep and such. It was definitely a nightmare to have dealt with an issue like that.

Also, a search for “acne types” images may help in identification of particular types. The perhaps unfortunate thing is that effective treatment has a lot to do with how much a particular type of acne is understood. Fortunately, you can always learn the important details on forums. One of this
[url]https://skintagsremoving.com/different-types-of-acne-on-face-best-treatment-with-pictures/[/URL] resources which may help you.

As to treatment, a dermatologist will be best suited to prescribe the best treatment method.

Just started doxy-cycline and it is working in three days. Have all that stress jaw acne.

First off..

How old are you? A lot of acne issues are heavily revolved around age and hormonal fluctuations. It's an unfortunate battle that a lot of us deal with in our younger years, but it goes away.

Benzoyl peroxide (IMO) does more damage than good to the skin. It may be an effective remover of the p. acnes bacterium due to it's oxidative properties. However, stripping your skin's natural oils can only lead to your body over-producing it's own essential oils to offset the loss. I always noticed using heavily based salicylic products or benzoyl products lead to the texture and appearance of my skin to become blotchy. Not to mention if peroxide gets anywhere near your hairline and it's exposed to UV, it will turn a weird orange/copper.

IMO, I'd avoid any antibiotics for acne unless you are by far the worst of the worst when it comes to cases. Too many physicians over prescribing antibiotics for trivial issues. They do work as they kill all bacteria (including p. acnes), but at what cost? It's not selectively avoiding the probiotic enzymes that we need to maintain balance.

Learn to use lotion at least 1-2x a day. Especially if you can find a lotion with a low concentration of glycolic acid as it helps to naturally exfoliate your pores throughout the day as it moisturizes.

I use Tazorac 2x a week and I have literally no acne. It's an expensive product to get ahold of, but if you somehow can get a prescription for it then it'll do wonders. It's also used off label for anti-aging as well so that's a plus.

And no joke, but just rinsing your face off with water at a sink 3-4 times a day will help keep your skin hydrated and refreshed. I do it quite often! Just make sure it's not some nasty ass sink.. if that's possible to find.