• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Withdrawal Question

Michguy88

Greenlighter
Hello all.

I recently restarted drinking after about 2-3 months of being sober, and I want to stop once again, but I very scared of serious withdrawal symptoms. Last time I quit I did not have any symptoms, but not sure I drank as much as I am now.

For the last two weeks I have been drinking 1/3 -1/2 pint of liquor (70-92 proof) every night, with this last St. Patty's day weekend being a bit more heavy. I only drink at night, usually after 7pm, and do not drink at all during the day. I go to work and function well until evening. However, I have noticed that about 6pm the last couple days, I have been extra anxious until I start drinking. I have anxiety issues anyways, so that doesnt help.

It's been about 12 hours now since my last drink and my only real symptoms are a slight headache and a brain fog/dizzy feeling. Last night after I started to sober up I had a rough time falling asleep, and kept having crazy dreams that woke me up.

Right now my heart rate is normal, and my hands aren't shaking or anything. Should I expect this to get much worse over the next 24-48 hours?

I do have Xanax (RXd for my anxiety) that I rarely take, so I could use that if I needed to -- but I know Benzos can be harder to kick than alcohol, so I am wanting to avoid that and just cold turkey.

Think its safe after 2 weeks of drinking every night? Thanks for your time.

I would say that you're more than likely okay, as 6-8 oz of liquor a night for two weeks isn't that bad, and you haven't been drinking all day. Don't expect w/d symptoms to get much worse than some insomnia and anxiety. Only use xanax if you haven't slept in over 48 hours or are in the midst of an anxiety attack; neither of which you should expect to happen.

Thanks for the encouraging reply. That is kind of what I was hoping for. No new symptoms have progressed over the last few hours, if anything I feel a bit better after eating so I'm planning on keeping it up and getting over this stuff.