• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Naturally (Or Not) Ways Of Detoxing Body After Drug Use?

kanyeknievel

Bluelighter
So my therapist suggested, and I think it is a good idea too, cause it makes a lot of sense.. to find the best way naturally to rid my body and detox my body of all the bad stuff that it is in my body from the years of drugs, suboxone, etc.

Im sure it will help with loads of things really detoxing my body of all of the bads things in it that may still be lingering, or just maybe daily things? Who knows, but what are the best natural or maybe not natural, ways of detoxing my body after drug use?

My goals are to basically be healthy and have a better cognitive health, being able to sleep without trouble and sleep through the night, no anxiety, feel good and optimistic all day every day.. you know, as normal as possible :p

What are the best ways? I know that fruits are green tea are a good way to detox the body, so I eat fruit throughout the day such as grapes, berries, and I remember Cranberry pills detox the body (from needing to get clean urine hahah) so I am going to take those , as well as I read drinking a lot of water throughout the day works very well... but my question is, I don't like drinking water as apposed to other things (obviously) but would it be bad to drink the amount of water daily with Mio Fit as apposed to just water by itself?

If you've already stopped the drug use, then just detox your body by eating/being healthy. Definitely drink a lot of water. Try avoiding any enhancers (especially if they have sweetener, sugar, etc. in them) if you're trying for a full detox. Decaffeinated tea is a good way to have flavour in your water. I drink about half tea, half water during the day.
As for food - fruits, veggies, beans, tofu, all healthy stuff. Exercise daily.
Avoid things like caffeine, sleeping medication, etc.

Once you're done with your detox, those things (sleeping medications, flavour enhancers for water, etc.) are fine in moderation. But good to avoid them when doing your detox.

the hardcord way to detox would be making raw fruit and veg 80% of your diet

and 1 hour exercise daily where your heart rate is going high for the whole duration

drinking lots of green tea and/or dandelion tea

Lots of fruits vegetables and exercise and drink lots of water as well

drugs don't really stay in your system that long. I hate how therapists advocate cleansing and 500 different vitamins and nutrients as a cure.

unless you are smoking cannabis or taking diazepam or other benzos, the drugs are out of your system after acute withdrawal. So really, you're not detoxing your body of anything except the excreted vitamins and nutrients your body couldn't put to use, which = pissing your money away.

healthy eating/exercise are great but they aren't actually getting rid of toxins.

what are you trying to detox your body of anyway?

do some reading on wheatgrass. The stuff is amazing. My father and out family drink 2oz a day. Hes recently been told he is remission from pancreatic cancer, so I would say it sure helps.

drugs don't really stay in your system that long. I hate how therapists advocate cleansing and 500 different vitamins and nutrients as a cure.

unless you are smoking cannabis or taking diazepam or other benzos, the drugs are out of your system after acute withdrawal. So really, you're not detoxing your body of anything except the excreted vitamins and nutrients your body couldn't put to use, which = pissing your money away.

healthy eating/exercise are great but they aren't actually getting rid of toxins.

Detoxification goes well beyond drugs. Simply being in an environment, your body collects toxins constantly from food, air, and everything you come in contact with. Even extremely healthy people detoxify their bodies. Yes drugs do leave your body after a set amount of time, but you do carry toxins in your body constantly and fasting/eating healthy has an enormous effect at purging this from your body. YOU ARE getting rid of tons of toxins when you eating healthy/exercising. The body is not simply a pure vessel. You are getting rid of toxins simply by taking a shit.

do some reading on wheatgrass. The stuff is amazing. My father and out family drink 2oz a day. Hes recently been told he is remission from pancreatic cancer, so I would say it sure helps.

i'm happy for your father, but your sample size is still 1.

i'm a fan of lots water & tea coupled with cardiovascular exercise in order to "detox." usually that is enough when coupled with abstinence of getting high/drunk. lots of fruits and veggies is a good idea but to be honest staying hydrated, eating healthy, exercising and not doing lots of drugs are all normal hygiene. and you can add plentiful sleep in there too. so really it's just abstinence and consistency. the secret is there is no secret, just stop doing drugs and don't start again.

Actually A lot of drugs get stored in your fat. Most of it leaves your system but many residuals stay in your body, i have heard for life (from a doctor). Who knows if he was right but i've read some stuff about it to, like the half life of a drug never completely dies in your body. And yea besides drugs and substances, there's all the toxins from preservatives, air pollution etc.

The best way to detox your body is with diet, over a course of a certain period. Don't buy those cleanse kits on the market, they are mostly pugatives and they will make you more deficient.

Switching to an 80% raw veggie diet (including their fresh squeezed juices), with 20% whole cooked grains like brown rice, amaranth or quinoa, and consuming cleansing teas like nettle, dandelion, or milkthistle would be enough. If the 80/20 ratio is too intense to start, then make it 30-35% whole grains instead. For the veggies, you need a variety, like kale, beets, carrots, broccoli, sprouts, chard, cabbage, etc. Seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, hemp (mmm hemp hearts), and sesame all contain beneficial minerals. Organic is better because pesticide will hold back your progress, and GMO has unforeseen health detriments (in my opinion). In my experience the value of fruit in a cleansing diet is over-stated; aside from a few kinds of fruit, most fruit just contributes to elevated blood sugar. Veggies on the other hand contain live enzymes which break down garbage in the body. You can add fruit for a little bit of natural sweet, but make it minimal.

You can also take a probiotic during the cleanse, to restore your gut flora. The malic acid in apple cider vinegar breaks down deposits in the liver and gallbladder, helping them to be excreted over time. Use ACV with your greens. Wheat grass is also beneficial, but only when it's a few inches long and has that spring green colour. Once it grows taller, the properties change and are less helpful. Don't bother getting bottled wheat grass juice, it's completely useless. You have to get it freshly juiced or don't bother; and take it on an empty stomach for maximum effect.

You also need to cut out some things from your diet:
- all processed/industrial food; this includes pre-packaged meals, fast food, and anything with additives in it
- yeast ferments like soy sauce, alcohol, miso; any nuts that are not in a sealed container contain yeast, as do mushrooms
- refined sugar, refined salt, transfat
- dairy and gluten (bread, pasta); the only exception to dairy is butter or lard, which are good sources of saturated fat (make sure you are intaking unsaturated sources too, such as olive, almond, sunflower or coconut oil)
- many people also cut out meat during this period, but if you absolutely must eat it, it should not account for more than 5% of your diet during the detox, and should be prepared without using the offending items

You can do a cleanse for 7-14 days if you wish. Some people do it for longer. For myself, 10 days is usually sufficient. Even if you don't want to do everything above, incorporating some of these elements into your daily life will detox your body.

It's true that some toxins remain in fat tissue and are released over time, but keeping your internal physiology as clean as possible while also providing nutrients and detoxing precursors, your body will be able to remove harmful products more effectively as they arise.

Good luck!

^ Damn seems like a lot of work. I mean i have quit drugs for a short period of time. But quitting good tasty food would be intense for me :eek:

1) Eat well and cut the crap out of your diet

2) Exercise daily - especially cardio.

3) Sauna and steam rooms

4) Water, water, water

i think i would probably keel over if not for naked juice and fruit.
there have been some days where my body was just NOT RIGHT until i had a naked juice and some fruit.
also sugar, but that's another story where i think i'm becoming more diabetic because it's a genetic anvil that's going to fall on my head prety soon

beans are an awesome addition to a detox diet.

the skin is insoluble fiber that will help clear out your digestive system. Good natural source of b-vitamins. High in protein. Combine with other proteins to build complete amino acid combinations.

robotripping said:
healthy eating/exercise are great but they aren't actually getting rid of toxins. what are you trying to detox your body of anyway?

Thank you, I've been wondering the same thing for a long time and no one can give me a clear answer.

Detox people, what are these "toxins?" Colloquial or IUPAC names are fine.

Otherwise I will assume these toxins are the same removed by shamanic egg cleansing.

detox my body of all the bad stuff that it is in my body from the years of drugs, suboxone

That's what your liver/kidneys are for.

foreigner said:
malic acid

Now we're getting somewhere:
wisegeek.org said:
This sour acid also has the benefit of being an efficient metal chelator, which means it is able to securely bond with toxic metals, such as aluminum or lead, that are present in the body, limiting their abundance

foreigner said:
Apple cider vinegar

It's also used in potato chips and candy, the site said. Shouldn't this, and other chelating agents (e.g. succinic acid) be part of your diet anyway? Through food sources such as alcoholic beverages, for instance. ;)

there have been some days where my body was just NOT RIGHT until i had a naked juice and some fruit.

Could your blood sugar be getting low?

f1n1shed said:
like the half life of a drug never completely dies in your body

Sounds like fallacious reasoning.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is, eat the healthy, avoid the unhealthy, and stick to it. Not to say these mini-diets/fasts are useless*.

The "toxins"(hate this word) are any pollutants, food additives, pesticides, naturally produced toxins found in food, and even bacteria, fungi, and viruses that we encounter and ingest throughout our lives.

Before anyone needs to think about "detoxing" they need to think about prevention. The only thing that can remove unwanted and potentially harmful substances from our body is our body.

You can do this by only drinking purified(purified, not fitlered) water. Avoiding packaged and processed foods. Trying to eat as many organic foods as you can; especially the ones that are known to have high pesticide levels, fresh fruits grown in warm climates as a group. Use air filters in your home(not just hepa, also carbon) and practice good hygiene.

As far as what we need to know to maintain a healthy body, you should start by breaking harmful substances up into 2 groups, water soluble and fat soluble. And realize that generally water soluble products will leave our body relatively quickly and the only thing you can really do to remove them from your life is to prevent their ingestion and drink plenty of water, but fat soluble substances can build up in our body over time and and can take a VERY long time to be removed(much longer than any 2 week cleanse).

Once you've got prevention down, you can think about supporting your body. You need to always maintain a diet full of nutrients that supports chelation, healthy bacterial flora, has high soluble fiber levels, full of phytonutrients and enzymes, supports healthy cell division, dna repair, and immune function. You need to do this all the time, not for 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Now if you are just becoming aware for the need of maintaining such a lifestyle, you should try to remove the fat soluble substances already stored in your body. Eventually fat turnover will remove them on its own if you don't ingest more. But regular exercise is needed to increase this. But this first thing you can do is exercise intensely and maintain a low calorie diet to remove excess fat that may be full of toxins, while cutting fat you should be consuming "chelation pesto"(google it) and soluble fiber like psyllium husk to help deal with any large influxes of heavy metals into your bloodstream and digestive tract.

The only thing I'd ever consider to be a "detoxing" diet, would be a ketogenic diet because it will encourage the turnover of your fat stores.

Don't waste your time on any special "detoxes" or "cleanses". There is little, if any scientific evidence that shows such products/diets to be effective at what they claim to do. Water soluble compounds will pass through your body pretty quickly with a normal diet. Maintaining adequate hydration is all you need. Some compounds are lipid soluble and will be stored in fat. These compounds can remain in the body for much longer and depend upon fat turnover. A person with a low bod fat percentage and fast metabolism will eliminate these compounds much more rapidly than fat person with a slow metabolism. Regular exercise is the best thing for this.

Basically, there is nothing you should do differently than what would normally be considered healthy. Get plenty of exercise.