View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

5-MeO Tryptamine Comparisons

Solipsis

Bluelight Crew
We have a few comparison threads where the commonalities and differences between psychedelics of a chemical class or family are investigated (for example 4-HO tryptamines). But not yet one for 5-MeO tryptamines.

Here are a few examples listed to remind everyone of some major members of this family:

• 5-MeO-DMT: the epitome of 5-MeO tryptamines, both for its relative modesty or simplicity of structural formula, as well as sheer intensity of effect as well as potency.
  • 5-MeO-MET: a much less common drug than 5-MeO-DMT but structurally quite similar. Apparently it is considerably less intense but it might still be interesting.
  • 5-MeO-DET: an obvious analogue, but mostly unheard of as far as I know... possibly an orally active version of the two just mentioned above.
  • 5-MeO-MiPT: one of the most popular 5-MeO tryptamines, orally active and plenty potent.
  • 5-MeO-DiPT: also relatively abundant 5-MeO tryptamine, but I have heard very little about it for a while now. Some potential for GI difficulties, also potential for auditive distortions and tactile enhancement.
  • 5-MeO-DALT: at the moment one of the most common and popular ones. Relatively not very potent, apparently it can be enjoyable and more of an empathogen and less of a psychedelic than the rest.
  • 5-MeO-AMT: not an N,N-substituted tryptamine like the rest, it has a very nasty reputation.
  • 5-MeO-DPT: relatively quite uncommon, is projected to have extremely intense effects although I am not sure if reports reflect that.
  • 5-MeO-TMT: very uncommon, apparently not quite psychedelic but it may retain tactile hallucinations and some peculiarities.

So, what is typical about these drugs? Do you feel that they share properties?

IMO any drug of these that has any potency in general seems to have tendencies to produce a great deal of energy buildup sensed in the body. This sensation may lead to body load feelings but also ecstasy or neutrally considered physical stimulation or mental stimulation. Also, I think that with the 5-MeO moiety, potential for visuals in a traditional sense (patterning, colors, movement) seems to be diminished at the least... but the visuals that are present are of a transparant nature. Instead I feel that energies may be sensed rather than seen, and they can move as if though involved in lava-lamp like convection.

What more can be said of the class, what are your experiences and ideas? Is there a special way you approach 5-MeO tryptamines? Do you like them?

:)

well first off, good thread. looking forward to heaqr from the more experienced user.

only had moxy and loved it. the most nausea-inducing rc I ever had tho.

you calling 5-meo-dmt the epitome of the bunch got me interessted

Isn't that obvious? DMT and 4-PO-DMT/4-HO-DMT are starting points for Shulgin and others to make analogues. For the 5-MeO tryptamines the logical origin would therefore be 5-MeO-DMT. Plus: 5-MeO-DMT is actually found in nature.

So it's not really my personal preference that made me call it the epitome.

It is the most direct one of the whole bunch to me though, a very pure and intense ticket to heaven or hell. Much more simple than the complicated DMT, but more or less just as spiritual. (The two different stereoisomers of ketamine, R and S, also show an opposition like that)
What I said about the energy is also inextricably a spiritual phenomenon IMO even if a large component is the physical / bodily / material charge. On 5-MeO-MiPT it was just like I felt like a big human spiritual battery. It was pretty hard to channel it all.

My theory is that this overflow and outpouring of energy begs to be channeled. Attention, concentration and perhaps some kind of skill practised via certain techniques such as meditation, breathing exercises, maybe mantra's or rituals, or even movements such as yoga or t'ai chi or certain martial arts... those are all potentially ways to channel the energy. I realize that this is not a scientific theory at all, but in any case... when a person does not have a fortunate predisposition to let it all flow easily I think that the energy can be pent up or encounter internal blockades that can consequently manifest as body load or some form of agony.
On the other hand successful handling of the drug's energetic manifestation could help align your faculties such as feelings and thoughts and other basic human functions. Proceeding with this there might be emotional release, psychological catharsis, Kundalini activation and potentially mystical states or advanced meditative states.

I wonder if there are more people who would agree with this? I don't think 5-MeO tryptamines are the only drugs for which the above may be true but because of this "push" or "drive" they are compounds that show their transformative potentials with much less complication and without the need for personal input and persistence. With drugs such as 2C-D or 2C-T-21 which have been described as psychedelic 'tofu' compounds, there is only weak contribution from the drug itself... they may enable a person to do things, but not push them towards it, at least hardly as much.

I would group the 5-MeO's into:

symmetrical N-alkyl - 5-MeO-DMT, 5-MeO-DET, 5-MeO-DPT, 5-MeO-DiPT
asymmetrical N-alkyl - 5-MeO-MET, 5-MeO-MiPT, etc
N-alkenyl - 5-MeO-DALT
alpha-methylated - 5-MeO-AMT, 5-MeO-TMT

5-MeO-TMT is not alpha-methylated. Sorry I should have been more clear: it is the [2,N,N] I meant. Which would be an odd one in the symmetric N-alkyl group. The 2-Me apparently matters so much that it probably deserves its own category. But yes, if we just consider that 5-MeO-α,N,N-TMT is also one, you are right.

Regarding 5-MeO-DALT, yes it should be clear that the pi-bonds make the compound differently from the dipropyl - there may be interaction between them like with the propargyls - in any case 5-MeO-DALT seems to stand out.

But about dividing the symmetric ones and asymmetric ones:
Is that just a semi-arbitrary way to categorize them chemically by symmetry of the substitutions, or do you feel that there are properties of the experiences that are actually associated with the substitutions being symmetrical or not?

Now that I consider it, it's arbitrary. A better classification is "little alkyl groups", N-ethyl and methyl, versus "big alkyl groups" like iso-propyl, propyl, etc.

There is also e.g. 5-MeS-DMT which could concievably be lumped in this family as well. And [N,alpha]-dimethyltryptamine.

Last edited:
The only one of these I've done is 5-meo-mipt but I've read about most of these so I'll put in my two cents.

5-MeO-DET: I heard it's less psychologically gratifying and insightful than 5-meo-dmt while also being more lighthearted and with more side effects from erowid and tihkal
5-MeO-MiPT: Extremely potent, feels like a mix of amphetamine and good stimulating sativa type weed on a low dose. Made me damn horny. Never explored higher doses cause I didnt like the tightness 12 mg put in my throat.
5-MeO-DiPT: Heard its like shitty 5-meo-mipt. go with mipt. this one is illegal anyway.
5-MeO-DALT: this one seems decent but too hard to dose properly. never tried it but im not too excited about it. ill try to get it eventually but i think my opinion on it is "fuck it" seems boring and the fact 90 mg makes no effects in some people and 120 mg is an OD in others makes me think its not my thing
5-MeO-AMT: Even though it has a nasty reputation Im very interested in trying this. It sounds like my kind of drug :D
5-MeO-DPT: Heard it's even shittier than 5-meo-det with potentially deep and powerful experiences in very few people, horrible side effects in other. never tried it or read too much about it so i could be wrong
5-MeO-TMT: never heard of this but sounds like it might be almost as good as 5-meo-dmt and at least better than 5-meo-det maybe.

these links describe and list some rare 5-xx substituted tryptamines, might be helpful knowledge in the thread:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-552452.html (this one discusses 5-cn-dmt and other odd tryptamines)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptamine (this one lists some common tryptamines including the 5-meo ones
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-417561.html (this one has some interesting info about 5-meo-dipt, it may be better than I thought. Audio distortions sound fun)
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-340503.html (this one talks a bunch about 5-substituted tryps)

If a mod would go over these link (or the OP) and copy and paste some of that stuff into the first post it would be very helpful for the thread as long as you rewrote and organized it properly. Threads like this are very informative and we need more of them around, and they need to list more info than they do. No offense intended at all to the OP, but he has very little information about the said drugs, and not all of the 5-meo-tryptamines listed (I may be wrong on that one). Which is why more people need to contribute. An interesting idea is to allow anyone to edit the first post of threads like these, after the edit has gone through mod approval. It would be sorta like wikipedia but more controlled so there's no misinformation or anti-HR being spread.

If any mods are looking at this post, read the above paragraph and think about the idea.

But about dividing the symmetric ones and asymmetric ones:
Is that just a semi-arbitrary way to categorize them chemically by symmetry of the substitutions, or do you feel that there are properties of the experiences that are actually associated with the substitutions being symmetrical or not?
First theres a clear difference between 5-meo-dalt and 5-meo-dpt because of the massive difference in effects and dose.

Second, in my opinion all 5-substituted tryptamines should be listed here, of course the symmetry or lack-there-of makes a huge difference but it's easier for the user for it all to be on one page. There's not THAT many 5-substituted tryptamines so it wouldn't be cluttered. A good idea would be to link the name of each drug in the OP to it's corresponding Big and Dandy or Sprig and Small or whatever the fuck thread, so that it makes it very easy for the user to traverse and learn more detailed comparisons about the compounds in question.

If all you mods are too lazy to do it make me a mod and I'll do it ;) (that was sarcasm unless you guys actually want me to be a mod, hahah. I havent tripped on LSD though so I'm probably not elite enough, that and I probably appear immature to the mods. You guys have way hardcore grammar skills, I try but I just can't manage, then again I'm typing like 100 words per minute)

Now that I consider it, it's arbitrary. A better classification is "little alkyl groups", N-ethyl and methyl, versus "big alkyl groups" like iso-propyl, propyl, etc.

There is also e.g. 5-MeS-DMT which could concievably be lumped in this family as well. And [N,alpha]-dimethyltryptamine.

I think it should go further than this and encompass all 5- substituted tryptamines in this thread, as well as links to the corresponding B&D or BDSM or whatever thread so users can traverse and learn about the family of chemicals easier.

At the least though 5-MeS-DMT should be in this thread because sulfur is just below oxygen on periodic. It would make it easier to compare the difference between 5-MeS-xx drugs and 5-MeO-xx drugs and further increase the knowledge of the effects of small chemical changes (like oxy to sulfur) so that the effects of all 5-me or just 5-substituted tryptamines would be easier to compare. This would build the knowledge base of drugs in general.

Last edited:
Edited somewhat to improve clarity...

5-MeO-DET: I heard it's psychologically less gratifying and insightful than 5-MeO-DMT, while also being more lighthearted and with more side effects.
5-MeO-DiPT: Heard its like shitty 5-MeO-MiPT. Go with 5-MeO-MiPT. This one is illegal anyway.
5-MeO-DPT: Heard it's even shittier than 5-MeO-DET, with potentially deep and powerful experiences in very few people and horrible side effects in others. Never tried it or read too much about it, so I could be wrong.

I think that you have 5-MeO-DET and 5-MeO-DPT upside down. The former appears to be very nasty -- perhaps even toxic -- while the latter is good enough to be in the top three 5-MeO tryptamines (along with 5-MeO-DMT and 5-MeO-MiPT).

Regarding 5-MeO-DiPT, it's not nearly as bad as many people report. It is bad *for them*. As for me, this tryptamine is certainly not a favorite, but it has its place and I enjoy it from time to time. Also, it is illegal in some countries, but by no means all.

hi
which one do you prefer the most in the 5 meo tryptamines?
I have only 5 meo mipt and would like to know what else I should pick next!
Edited somewhat to improve clarity...

I think that you have 5-MeO-DET and 5-MeO-DPT upside down. The former appears to be very nasty -- perhaps even toxic -- while the latter is good enough to be in the top three 5-MeO tryptamines (along with 5-MeO-DMT and 5-MeO-MiPT).

Regarding 5-MeO-DiPT, it's not nearly as bad as many people report. It is bad *for them*. As for me, this tryptamine is certainly not a favorite, but it has its place and I enjoy it from time to time. Also, it is illegal in some countries, but by no means all.

Id like to add:

5-MeO-MALT : TRULY the new next 5 meo to catch on. SUPER VISUAL when smoked, ego loss, like DMTs lil bro more so than 5 meo dmt. oral and snorted didnt do much if anything, only weeks later after i thought malt was a dud we decided to smoke 10-15mg WOW fucking wow, room just melted. def better than most 5 meos and is #2 right under MOXY for me.....im disapointed more people havent tried this...Ive only tried Moxy Malt and 5 meo dmt o and 5 meo amt

also wanna add 5-meo-Eipt and 5-meo-Nipt , i havent tried these but i had 200mg eipt and traded it away bc everyone said it sucks lol that about all i know about that

also I vote 5-meo-NIPT should be nicknamed "NOXY" ?! lol any comments ?

btw when my friend smokes MOXY/MALT combo we call it doing M&Ms or taking M&Ms lol they go together great smoked !

so thats

5-meo-dpt
5-meo-det
5-meo-met
5-meo-amt
5-meo-mipt
5-meo-malt
5-meo-eipt
5-meo-nipt
5-meo-dmt

Last edited:
5-meo-dmt is not in the same class as any of the other 5-me0-tryptamines its closer to salvia and Dmt........

and dont fall for the 5-me0-mipt is better then 5-me0-dipt......foxy methoxy was one the first rc's to get banned cause it is that good....problem is.......its very rare and odds of getting the real thing is pretty hard also knuckleheads would probably mix it with 200mg of mxe and etizolam and die.....but the bodyload is the same as 5-me0-mipt imo.......shitting on a toilet bowel is not a bad side effect thing for me i see it as purgeing my lower chakras....to allow higher vibrations to flow threw my vessel more easily happens on most tryptamines.......if you ever get a chance to get 5-me0-dipt don't hesitate it's truly a special and unique chemical....

hmm i wonder what the receptor binding affinities for 5-MeO-MALT look like... anyone know if it's been assayed yet?

also wondering where ibogaine might fit into the picture (considering its incorporation of the 5-MeO-DMT skeleton), if that's not too ambitious an inquest :D

...if you ever get a chance to get 5-me0-dipt don't hesitate it's truly a special and unique chemical....

So there is this treasure in the under regions of my bag of rc remains. Enlighten me as I have ridden the foxy methoxy many a time. And every single time had pretty hard trips especially when one is only is used to psylocybine. As a reference point 5-meo-dipt although tryptaminic has an very fast and more flowing lucid experience. Only the tightness of muscles and shrunken genital thing got to me hesitant to even dare experiment some more.

Two things 5-meo-dipt didn't do for me was being "foxy" or causing any annoying issues down there. So none of that sitting shitting while tripping stuff.

5-meo-dalt seemed totally free from the classical tryptamine side effects at the few tries I had. But also not very overflowing with the effects either, great for combo's though.

I've used 5-meo-dmt orally (I don't know the dosage) and really enjoyed it. Friends and I agreed that it felt like "Shroomy Acid" if that makes any sense.

The only other 5-meo that I've tried is 5-meo-dipt. I absolutely loved it. Super euphoric, mildly visual, incredibly erotic and tactile. Normally I have no interest in eating while tripping, but foxy gave me the munchies and food tasted amazing. I also experienced absolutely no negative side effects.

A lot of the 5MeOs seem to have some sort of relation > 5MeO-DiPT,5MeO-MiPT,5MeO-DALT and 5MeO-MALT are all different but share the same 'coloring', time scale, a bit of a feel' etc - not very intellectual and something tactile about them. 5MeO-DMT is full on mystical stuff and stands apart and is a natural shamanic of course. 5MeO-aMT seem different. rules aren't set in stone.

I agree with the statement that the 5-MeO tryptamines seem to produce an intense amount of and awareness of body energy. In fact it's what I use 5-MeO-MiPT for (which is a real gem)... when I am having a lingering period of anxiety or depression, it can often bring me right out of it by making me aware of the energy blockage and helping to unravel it.

5-meo-dmt is not in the same class as any of the other 5-me0-tryptamines its closer to salvia and Dmt........

and dont fall for the 5-me0-mipt is better then 5-me0-dipt......foxy methoxy was one the first rc's to get banned cause it is that good....problem is.......its very rare and odds of getting the real thing is pretty hard also knuckleheads would probably mix it with 200mg of mxe and etizolam and die.....but the bodyload is the same as 5-me0-mipt imo.......shitting on a toilet bowel is not a bad side effect thing for me i see it as purgeing my lower chakras....to allow higher vibrations to flow threw my vessel more easily happens on most tryptamines.......if you ever get a chance to get 5-me0-dipt don't hesitate it's truly a special and unique chemical....

It's just a matter of preference. I have tried both several times at least, and I prefer 5-MeO-MiPT. However they're also just very different chemicals. 5-MeO-DiPT is more of a druggy feeling, it's more intense, and it has more side effects. 5-MeO-MiPT feels more like a tool, it's much lighter and I just use them for totally different things.

I ran out of 5-MeO-DiPT quite some time ago and have never felt like trying to find more... 5-MeO-MiPT on the other hand, I'd like to always have available.

Foxy was banned because it caused deaths. And because it was part of the very early wave of RCs available, much earlier than 5-MeO-MiPT was made available.

Last edited:
Which of the 5-MeO tryptamines do you prefer?

I've tested dozens of psychedelics, but this family of compounds isn't my forte. I've bio-assayed only three of them: 5-MeO-DALT (mediocre on its own, but good for combinations), 5-MeO-DiPT (good, but not great) and 5-MeO-MiPT (very good, but still not great). What I mentioned regarding 5-MeO-DET and 5-MeO-DPT was extrapolation based on things that I've read about them over the years.

Last edited:
I've used the search engine. I've recently experienced 5-MeO-MiPT FB and it was so much more pleasant and interesting than the fumarate salt. Now 5-MeO-MET freebase is also becoming available, and while the trip reports are hard to find, the one I found was pretty close to my own experience. Except I was smoking the fumarate thinking it was the freebase. Now I know better. But it still had a great effect for about 40 mins and was really smooth. I get a lot of body load on 5-MeO-XXX's and especially 5-MeO-AMT/DiPT/MiPT. I actually hated 5-MeO-MiPT for the longest time. But that was really due to it's salt form and ROA. I absolutely love vaping 5-MeO-MiPT FB and well, any of the 5-MeO's I've since tried. I would love to be able to try 5-MeO-DiPT freebase. Orally it just gives me the shits, but once (out of 10 times) I got totally foxy. Every follical on my head was having mini orgasms for 10 mins. It was amazing. Only happened once, never felt foxy like that before. I bet the freebase would be a lot more side effect free and foxier.

This thread died 3 years ago. Can anyone point me to a "5-MeO-XXX" freebase thread or dandy 5-MeO-MET freebase thread?

There is no thread devoted to freebases specifically. You're saying that smoking it is where it's different? Or have you compared them orally too?

There should be a specific thread on vaping 5-MeO-XXXs. It's a world of differences. Honestly I don't like any of the 5-MeO-XXX's orally. And I love them vaped.

I've taken orally:
5-MeO-MiPT Fumarate
5-MeO-DiPT fumarate
5-MeO-AMT

Snorted: 5-MeO-DMT

Smoke:
5-MeO-DMT FB
5-MeO-MiPT FB
5-MeO-MET fumarate

So really I can only compare 5-meo-dmt snorted vs smoked and 5-meo-mipt orally vs smoked.

5-MeO-DMT snorted is cool, but vaping it is a whole different...uh, trip. It really is.

And I think I said, I don't even like 5-MeO-MiPT orally. I don't like the body load and find it boring on the mind.
Which is why I was so excited about 5-MeO-MiPT being so much more interesting.

5-MeO-MET fumarate smoked was REALLY cool too. I have yet to do the fumarate orally.

I'm excited, 5-MeO-MET FB will be available soon, so I'm grabbing some right away.

I'm also going to get 5-MeO-DALT FB. 5-MeO-DPT too. I've read that it's incredibly potent too...I believe in TIHKAL it's 8 mg orally.

I was speaking to a vendor and he said that he tried every ROA trying to get something out of 5-MeO-DALT Succinate and what he found was that smoking it was comparable to DMT/5-MeO-DMT.

I still have trouble believing it. But we'll see. I got to DMT like space by smoking MALT freebase. Smoking trypamines is something that hasn't really been too explored (compared to orally/rectal/iv) from what I know. But I think we'll see more and more trip reports now that it's becoming a thing and some vendors are bringing in the freebases.

Last edited: