• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids gabapentin + loperamide = bad idea??

Swimmingdancer

Bluelight Crew
I took 300mg gabapentin (a lower dose than I usually take) and just 2mg loperamide close together and the results were not good. It felt like taking way too much morphine but with all of the positive effects removed and no noticeable respiratory depression. I felt so sick, like if I moved me head I felt like I would throw up. I did have a sort of warm opiate-like feeling in my body but devoid of all pleasantness. I felt very tired. It's hard to really describe the feeling aside from being similar to taking way too much opiates but with no euphoria whatsoever, in fact I felt dysphoric.

Anyway, I thought maybe it was a coincidence so I did the same thing again on a separate day with exactly the same results.

On both occasions I hadn't eaten anything recently so that rules out foods contributing, and I hadn't taken any other drugs in a few days except 0.25mg clonazepam the previous night (which would normally have no noticeable additive effect to the gabapentin for me). 200mg gabapentin on its own (or with any other drugs) has never made me feel like this, in fact no amount of gabapentin has ever made me feel at all like this.

So what's going on? Is it possible that gabapentin is a p-glycoprotein inhibitor or in some other way potentiates loperamide? Or loperamide potentiating/synergizing with gabapentin in some way? Surely other people have taken this combo :?. Thoughts?

I've had this result while taking Loperamide together with Kratom, which makes way more sense than with your combo since both Kratom and Lope are opioids.

Thats really strange that the two have been making you feel like that. I've taken that combo while in withdrawal multiple times to get some relief and I've never really noticed anything like that.

Yeah, lol, maybe I just have a strange body, FML. It didn't even seem to help my diarrhea :(.

That sucks :(. Def steer clear of that shit from now on. But I'd be very interested to know exactly how that happened and if anyone else has experienced a similar reation. I never heard of that before.

Yeah I definitely won't be taking it again. If that's what the loperamide "high" feels like when people take a shitload of lope with some potentiators I don't know how anyone enjoys it. It's so weird since a couple of people have said they combined gabapentin + lope and this definitely did not happen to them. In fact one person in another thread said they thought that gabapentin lessened the effects of lope for them.

Anyone know of any other good remedies for diarrhea? *sigh*

EDIT: Only working theory I've been able to come up with so far is:

Gabapentin is most likely not a P-glycoprotein inhibitor itself, (or if it is it is very mild and is not deemed of clinical relevance), if it were that would explain things. P-glycoprotein is responsible for the transport of compounds out of the brain across the blood–brain barrier. This is why loperamide in normal doses does not have much CNS action even though it is an opioid, because P-glycoprotein rapidly removes most of it from the brain. There are some people who are have decreased levels of P-glycoprotein. Taking something that inhibits P-glycoprotein allows more loperamide (and various other substances) to remain in the brain. But perhaps it's possible that levels of loperamide in the brain could be increased by competition for P-glycoprotein. Perhaps taking the gabapentin at the same time kept some of my P-glycoprotein occupied with transporting some of the gabapentin, so there was less P-glycoprotein to remove the loperamide? If I am naturally low on P-glycoprotein, which I have reason to believe I am from previous experiences with low doses of loperamide on their own providing some mild subjective CNS stimulation which others deemed "impossible", perhaps that could explain why I have this sensitivity. This is just a very rough theory and I'm not confident in it or anything :)

Last edited:
If that's what the loperamide "high" feels like when people take a shitload of lope with some potentiators I don't know how anyone enjoys it.
Yea I tried that once, and got effects like you described. Basically an opiate type feeling without the euphoria. Kind of empty. I wouldn't say it was dysphoric, but it did make me irritable.

I have taken exact the same combination 300mg Gabapentin and 2mg Lope last week during the first days of light WD and did not experience anything like you describe.
Although I took the Lope a little later, maybe ~2 hours after the Gaba but they should interact despite that.

Regarding the diarrhea I suggest Indian flea seed husks. Very effective for regulating bowel movements. I think they are also the ingredient of Macrogol (correct me if I am wrong).

Get wll soon :)

I have taken 10,000 mg+ of gabapentin with at least 60 mgs of loperamide before and experienced no negative side effects.
No, that was not a typo or exaggeration.
I cannot fathom how you have experienced these bad side effects and I have not.
I think this phenomenon is unique to your body, swimmingdancer.
The most gabapentin I have ever taken in a day 20,000 mgs.
When I use it multiple days in a row, I nearly have to double the dose each consecutive day.
Waiting even one day in between helps, but rarely do I have the will power to skip a day.
I weigh 401 pounds, that is the other reason I have to take so much.

I guess I am just a freak :(
Taking them seperately doesn't produce these results so I'm sure it was due to mixing them.

I find if I only take gabapentin once a day I don't really build much tolerance to it but if I take it multiple times a day tolerance builds rapidly. Were you taking it multiple times a day, Kratom?

Thanks for the tip, Dick, I'll try those if i can manage to leave the house or make someone fetch it for me.

Calcium-channel-blockers (eg. gabapentin, pregabalin, loperamide blood pressure medications) cause hypomotility of the GI tract and produce constipation. If you add that to loperamide's potent decrease in GI motility due to CCB/opioid mechanism, a full or/and a sensitive stomach (possibly withdrawal related), it's very probable, and actually common that excessive GI hypomotility can very well produce violent vomiting, nausea, dizziness, etc. Rest assured, you're not a freak, if I actually look back at the time I was hospitalized from loperamide abuse, I was taking pregabalin at the same time.

I guess I am just a freak :(
Taking them seperately doesn't produce these results so I'm sure it was due to mixing them.

I find if I only take gabapentin once a day I don't really build much tolerance to it but if I take it multiple times a day tolerance builds rapidly. Were you taking it multiple times a day, Kratom?

Thanks for the tip, Dick, I'll try those if i can manage to leave the house or make someone fetch it for me.

No, just one hefty dose once a day. Really hefty.

Calcium-channel-blockers (eg. gabapentin, pregabalin, loperamide blood pressure medications) cause hypomotility of the GI tract and produce constipation. If you add that to loperamide's potent decrease in GI motility due to CCB/opioid mechanism, a full or/and a sensitive stomach (possibly withdrawal related), it's very probable, and actually common that excessive GI hypomotility can very well produce violent vomiting, nausea, dizziness, etc. Rest assured, you're not a freak, if I actually look back at the time I was hospitalized from loperamide abuse, I was taking pregabalin at the same time.

I've taken 50+mg of loperamide with 3000-5000+mg of gabapentin, no problems here. I can't see why they would really interact with each other. Generally I took the gabapentin in one dose, or two doses split by a few hours.

What doses of loperamide were you taking?

So would ducolax or the like have helped prevent your hospitalization?

Different people react differently to different drugs. I was taking loperamide doses in your ballpark with 600 milligrams of pregabalin. I had impacted feces surgically removed, mega-colon, and sepsis. I've explained why they would react this way in my previous post, CCB's decrease gut motility and so do opioids. In essence, you have 2 CCB's in loperamide and gabapentin, and 1 very potent opioid in loperamide. That's a potential recipe for ileus. People underestimate the anti-diarrheal effects of loperamide claiming 'it's just another opioid' as it was this advice that landed me in trouble, but I'd like to reiterate again, it has a different anti-diarrheal mechanism than opioids.

Evidence includes the calcium antagonist actions of loperamide at antidiarrheal doses, the constipating effects of certain calcium antagonists and the failure of opiate antagonists to prevent some intestinal effects of loperamide.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6502516

Use lactulose solution (duphalac) as it works best for opioid constipation.

I don't think that's what happened to me because it didn't even stop my diarrhea. And I had weird symptoms other than just the nausea from motion, like feeling high on opioids but with no euphoria. Like it was acting on my brain/CNS. It's hard to really explain properly.

I've taken the two together multiple times for withdrawal, but upwards the dose by atleast 300%.

My guess is that you didn't take enough loperamide/gabapentin to ease withdrawal symptoms and the negative interaction you encountered was due to withdrawal....I mean why else would you take loperamide if you weren't in withdrawal? Yah maybe you ate some bad Mexican food but I know you use opiates and you would be constipated anyways ;)

Good luck ! Once is coincidence, twice is bad luck, and the third time this happens means there is a problem

idk 2mg of loperamide is the smallest dose of immodium and 300mg gaba is the lowest dose of that also if im not mistaken.

How much you weigh?

Possible bad rxn.

I don't think that's what happened to me because it didn't even stop my diarrhea. And I had weird symptoms other than just the nausea from motion, like feeling high on opioids but with no euphoria. Like it was acting on my brain/CNS. It's hard to really explain properly.

Trying to lay down but your head is spinning, completely nauseated, similar to an alcohol hangover? You keep twisting and turning to find a position were the nausea disappears? You feel fucked up but in a dirty way? Extremely tired?

Anything along those lines?